• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say the Loki story in All New Marvel Point One was really fun, Agent of Asgard seems like it'll be good. Probably gonna skip Ms. Marvel and Silver Surfer though.

Well the guys who did that Oz book a yea ror so ago put this up on their facebook page, and I see no cbr article or anything, so I'm guess they put this up early, and this will be announced tomorrow:

522422_589029577839275_724813545_n.jpg

Also, that punisher art on cbr looks great

Damian Son of Batman is masterclass in art and colors. But its a big proponent of why artists shouldn't write or have their mothers edit their books.

Those steampunk covers look so fuxking schway. DC needs a steampunk month.

ElNarez

Banned
I promised myself I wouldn't talk about Spider-Man anymore. But now Dan Slott is writing Silver Surfer and HOLY SHIT THIS IS TERRIBAD. Everything about it is a goddamn cliché you have seen elsewhere done better. The Allreds are fucking wasted on this. It's a fucking crazy alien world and everyone is wearing grey fucking suits and everything is fucking grey and, wait, this was an ocean planet, why the fuck is it like shitty space Venice. It's just fucking sad to see something that should be so fucking cool be so goddamn boring.

I promised myself I wouldn't talk about Spider-Man anymore. But now Dan Slott is writing Silver Surfer and HOLY SHIT THIS IS TERRIBAD. Everything about it is a goddamn cliché you have seen elsewhere done better. The Allreds are fucking wasted on this. It's a fucking crazy alien world and everyone is wearing grey fucking suits and everything is fucking grey and, wait, this was an ocean planet, why the fuck is it like shitty space Venice. It's just fucking sad to see something that should be so fucking cool be so goddamn boring.
That broad is going to show Silver Surfer the wonder of the Universe. It's called the Marvel Universe for a reason.

Bigfoot

Finished the Hawkeye TPB Volume 1.

I really, really, really liked the art of the first few issues. It took a few pages to grow on me but I ended up really liking it all.

Then issues four and five completely took me out of it. I liked the story(recovering the stuff for SHIELD) but the art was abysmal. Issue 6(backstory on the girl Hawkeye) was good.

As I understand it, Volume 2 TPB has more art from the issues 1-3 guy. Hopefully I can pick that up in the next few weeks.

Overall good stuff. 7/10.
Completely agree with the changing art... I noticed it too when reading Hawkeye. Still a great comic though.

Since I've got back in to comics the last couple of years (still don't read near as much of most people in this thread though), changing art is one of the things that bothers me most when reading through comics. I think it is much more noticeable when powering through the issues in a trade or digitally since the difference is obvious right away. It probably wouldn't be as noticeable if you read each issue month to month.

I think consistency is partly why I've been leaning towards the independent creator owned stuff when looking at new comics to read now. I think a large part of what makes something like Locke and Key, Preacher, or Chew special is that it has amazing and consistent art, along with the fact that they are stories with an ending so it feels more focused.

WTF at the first part of Gothtopia in Detective #27. What timeline is this? Who are all of these characters? What's going on?

Completely agree with the changing art... I noticed it too when reading Hawkeye. Still a great comic though.

Since I've got back in to comics the last couple of years (still don't read near as much of most people in this thread though), changing art is one of the things that bothers me most when reading through comics. I think it is much more noticeable when powering through the issues in a trade or digitally since the difference is obvious right away. It probably wouldn't be as noticeable if you read each issue month to month.

I think consistency is partly why I've been leaning towards the independent creator owned stuff when looking at new comics to read now. I think a large part of what makes something like Locke and Key, Preacher, or Chew special is that it has amazing and consistent art, along with the fact that they are stories with an ending so it feels more focused.

Regarding the month-to-month thing: no, everybody I know who reads hawkeye complains every time the original artist isn't on an issue. It's not just a trade thing.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Black Widow solo was interesting. I dont think it was fantastic, but it does show quite a bit of potential- will be picking up the next issue in two weeks.

ElNarez

Banned
WTF at the first part of Gothtopia in Detective #27. What timeline is this? Who are all of these characters? What's going on?

Uh, by the end of that story you should be very aware of what's going on, even if some things are left unclear.

SPEAKING OF: That Dan Slott fucking Silver Surfer story isn't even the worst thing this week because hooooooly fuck that Brad Meltzer feature in Tec was baaaaaaaaad. How the fuck has he not pulled an Austen and left comics in shame forever is a mystery -one that's so much fucking better than Identity Crisis- and it pisses me off

Uh, by the end of that story you should be very aware of what's going on, even if some things are left unclear.

SPEAKING OF: That Dan Slott fucking Silver Surfer story isn't even the worst thing this week because hooooooly fuck that Brad Meltzer feature in Tec was baaaaaaaaad. How the fuck has he not pulled an Austen and left comics in shame forever is a mystery -one that's so much fucking better than Identity Crisis- and it pisses me off

So you think everything before the last panel was not real?

Edit - nvm I get it now. Disregard.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I remember when the last Point One had me mad hyped for the Scarlet Spider ongoing :(

This one was pretty trash other than showing Marvel Comics now has a hard on for how good Loki was in the movies which kinda feels weird to watch like a snake licking its own bum.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50132

It's almost impossible to get excited for a weekly 52 issue series after having bought 11 issues of Countdown to Final Crisis. My comic buying instinct, which is used to pre-order at dcbs, tells me this is going to be a decent book that feels stretched out and to skip it.

So who's buying into Future's End and why should the rest of us?

This might be the first time i sit out on both Marvel and DC events, maybe i'll cave on Who's Shooting the Watcher? just because it's shorter.

Giffen/Azz/Lemire is a God Tier Team.

SUPER HYPED

On to Black Widow #1 and turn the first few pages and realize the art is stunning only for it to be printed on tissue paper. It's really sad. Even DC has stepped their paper game up over the last few months on their 3.99 titles. The art deserves better.

On to Black Widow #1 and turn the first few pages and realize the art is stunning only for it to be printed on tissue paper. It's really sad. Even DC has stepped their paper game up over the last few months on their 3.99 titles. The art deserves better.

I bought the 'Tec special today, my first floppy in forever. I'm surprised how nice it feels, it's more like a miniature book. I thought about buying the Marvel Point One Special in print, but the paper was horrid.

Prety Deadly feels great in your hands. Marvel can afford better. Their three issues trades are garbage as well.

Eldren

It's always interesting reading people's thoughts on their Wednesday comics. Seeing as I can't contribute much, here's something worth reading:

10 DIVERSITY RESOLUTIONS FOR SUPERHERO COMICS IN 2014

A great piece by Andrew Wheeler over at Comics Alliance. I always like his articles anyway but this one is particularly good. If only for this:

[Marvel and DC] can claim eight superhero titles written by women (Captain Marvel, Avengers Assemble, Ms Marvel, Batgirl, The Movement, Catwoman, Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn), and that's only two more than Charles Soule is writing on his own.

Now that I have read it, the cat at the end sold it. I'm a sucker for cute kitty's. Lol. Solid first issue. I'm in for the first arc.

Does ComicGAF like Dan Slott overall?

I would say a few like him, a good few more put up with him because he's the main Spider-Man writer and, surprise, comics peeps love Spider-Man and the rest are tried of his trolling and general bullshit. There may be some overlap, and some who just don't care.

Is Slott on an exclusive contract with Marvel? Titan should get him to write some Doctor Who stories or something if that's what he wants to write.

I would say a few like him, a good few more put up with him because he's the main Spider-Man writer and, surprise, comics peeps love Spider-Man and the rest are tried of his trolling and general bullshit. There may be some overlap, and some who just don't care.

Is Slott on an exclusive contract with Marvel? Titan should get him to write some Doctor Who stories or something if that's what he wants to write.
He's exclusive to Marvel because he is a New Yorker through and through. Nobody can make the Silver Surfer interesting anyways....

What does this sentence mean?

sorry, I found out the other day its coming out like twice this month and I thought it was going to look like the cover. Bright and new. But its muddy looking and I typed with sadness

He's exclusive to Marvel because he is a New Yorker through and through. Nobody can make the Silver Surfer interesting anyways....

oh way back I loved me some Ron Marz Surfer

Mafro

Surely this will have to pick up the plot point from New Avengers where
someone jobbed the Living Tribunal
, but it's kinda hard to make a mystery about that, as surely that requires god like power anyway?

I'm still slightly puzzled as to why anyone in the MU who knew who the LT was isn't freaking the fuck out about that one, given it means effectively a new entity of One Above All power levels is running around.
Yeah that kind of got glossed over in Infinity. Knowing Hickman I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be something from the next New Avengers arc, perhaps those creepy things from last week's issue.

Parch

Nobody can make the Silver Surfer interesting anyways....
Always thought Silver Surfer was an interesting idea, but I have yet to find a title that wasn't sleep inducing boring. Apparently I need to read Requiem, but there can't be another character with so much dreck.

Mafro

Always thought Silver Surfer was an interesting idea, but I have yet to find a title that wasn't sleep inducing boring. Apparently I need to read Requiem, but there can't be another character with so much dreck.
The Infinity comic that came with the digital issues of Infinity was great.

I didn't know Silver Surfer came out today, I would've picked it up. I'm going back tomorrow anyway, I found a store that's really close to me but they didn't get their shipments yet.

I did pick up some first issues including Black Widow, Coffin Hill, Umbral, and 100 Bullets ($1 comic baybay) and the last issue of Young Avengers. Gonna read em later today.

I didn't know Silver Surfer came out today, I would've picked it up. I'm going back tomorrow anyway, I found a store that's really close to me but they didn't get their shipments yet.

I did pick up some first issues including Black Widow, Coffin Hill, Umbral, and 100 Bullets ($1 comic baybay) and the last issue of Young Avengers. Gonna read em later today.

I think its out Feb or March

Owzers

i think they're talking about the All New Point One issue thing that has a collection of short teases for the new books

i pre-ordered silver surfer but not black widow

ElNarez

Banned

We're talking about the Point One feature, which was one among many boring features, including an All-New Invaders plot exposition dump, a pretty schway Black Widow feature teasing a book you could -and probably should- just purchase right the fuck now, a pretty nifty New Ms. Marvel story which, full disclosure, I probably would've called out for being super standard teen hero fare had it not been about a pakistani-american girl from Jersey, meaning it's not the standard teen hero you see in comics, meaning it's something new that's needed and a Cannonball and Sunspot story (yay) written by Spencer (boo) that's far too wordy for its own good, all wrapped up in a neat but underdeveloped due to its stated goal of framing the book Loki story. And there's a bad Silver Surfer feature in it too.

Vibranium

Banned
Kaare Andrews, Rafa's favorite, who's also the artist

Oh man, I'm so happy Iron Fist is back, I'm in through hell and high water. I hope they bring back the green Immortal Iron Fist costume, the white one sucks (being used by Bendis doesn't help lol). The art looks awesome and if Andrews is a Rafa favorite then I'm placing my faith into him.

Black Widow was great this week, I love how Noto draws Natasha (zipped up should be mandatory) and it was a fantastic set-up for the tone and action. I'm gonna write in to ask if Bucky will make an appearance and they can make BW remember him again- frickin' Brubaker.

Vibranium

Banned
We're talking about the Point One feature, which was one among many boring features, including an All-New Invaders plot exposition dump, a pretty schway Black Widow feature teasing a book you could -and probably should- just purchase right the fuck now, a pretty nifty New Ms. Marvel story which, full disclosure, I probably would've called out for being super standard teen hero fare had it not been about a pakistani-american girl from Jersey, meaning it's not the standard teen hero you see in comics, meaning it's something new that's needed and a Cannonball and Sunspot story (yay) written by Spencer (boo) that's far too wordy for its own good, all wrapped up in a neat but underdeveloped due to its stated goal of framing the book Loki story. And there's a bad Silver Surfer feature in it too.

I'm not buying the issue but plot dump aside, does All-New Invaders look decent? I'm buying this mainly because of Bucky though, since he hasn't been given a second chance at a solo with a movie coming up. Another new teaser about something else, and Marvel ignores Winter Soldier who they should be pushing the hell out of.

And Silver Surfer sounds like a stay away, Slott's writing wore me out. I don't like how he sticks to the cheesy parts of comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom