• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato are doing the next Marvel event, "Original Sin", which deals with the death of The Watcher and the search for his killer http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/01/07/original-sin-marvel-comics-event/4338965/

Surely this will have to pick up the plot point from New Avengers where
someone jobbed the Living Tribunal
, but it's kinda hard to make a mystery about that, as surely that requires god like power anyway?

I'm still slightly puzzled as to why anyone in the MU who knew who the LT was isn't freaking the fuck out about that one, given it means effectively a new entity of One Above All power levels is running around.

Messi

I wonder how it took some of you guys so long to read a graphic novel that had Stephen King's name on, but hey, the fact you've read it and enjoyed it now is good enough. I really adore the first volume, and the series as a whole is incredibly strong. I wish King had more time to do stuff like that, particularly if he could actually have done some of marvel's dark tower stuff himself.

It's taken me this long because I am not a fan of horror in the slightest. Never read any books ect by Stephen King before this.

On Scott and Emma, someone asked Bendis if he had any plans for them and the possibility of a reconciliation, and Bendis said that in his opinion those two brought out the worst in each other, and so long as he was writing them they'd never reconcile.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
On Scott and Emma, someone asked Bendis if he had any plans for them and the possibility of a reconciliation, and Bendis said that in his opinion those two brought out the worst in each other, and so long as he was writing them they'd never reconcile.

I don't really mind that tbh. I quite like the awkwardness they have going on at the moment and it's character progression for both of them.

I love how with every event there is the question of tie-ins and the response is always the same: "We don't want to have tie-ins for the sake of having them or to boost sales. Those types serve no purpose. We have to make sure we have a story to tell. And I know we are doing that." Yet it's always the same shit.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
fuuuuuuuuck no

Apparently it's kinda shit and by kinda shit I mean really shit.

Haha. Thanks guys. Glad I asked before blindly buying the hardcover or something silly like that. (That hardcover is $18 to pre-order on Amazon! For a 4-issue miniseries! That's just nuts.)

While I'm asking though, are there any comics that have Damian-Batman/future-Batman that are good? Or are there any just in general? I really enjoyed the few issues in Morrison's Batman run with Damian-Batman.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haha. Thanks guys. Glad I asked before blindly buying the hardcover or something silly like that. (That hardcover is $18 to pre-order on Amazon! For a 4-issue miniseries! That's just nuts.)

While I'm asking though, are there any comics that have Damian-Batman/future-Batman that are good? Or are there any just in general? I really enjoyed the few issues in Morrison's Batman run with Damian-Batman.

I think they must be the only ones. Certainly the only ones that count. I loved 666 and 700, so good.

tim1138

So Amazon had the majority of the Hellboy volumes for $4 in Kindle edition and I splurged and got them all. So my list this week was Green Arrow, Phantom Stranger, Earth 2, and volumes 1-12 of Hellboy

Splatt

Kaare Andrews, Rafa's favorite, who's also the artist

I have no idea who this is

tumblr_mjwdamzNNR1rxigzao1_400.gif

Preview looks interesting, cautiously optimistic.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think they must be the only ones. Certainly the only ones that count. I loved 666 and 700, so good.

666 is my favorite Batman issue. I can't even talk about it without getting giddy and wanting to talk about Alfred the cat, and the last page of the issue, and how well developed the future world/situation was in just one issue.

That new Kubert mini-series however, is steaming, smelly shite and he needs to be slapped for it. The dude has no comprehension of how to fucking write--I'm surprised he was even able to sting words along to make some sentences.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Woah, I've never heard of Spider-Man Reign. Is it any good? I'm super curious now.

Owzers

Woah, I've never heard of Spider-Man Reign. Is it any good? I'm super curious now.

I really liked it, that and Silver Surfer Requiem which was also a 4 issue mini.

I forgot that Andrews was behind Reign, now i'm slightly interested in Iron Fist...the preview didn't really get me though.

Well, I love Iron Fist, but I very specifically love Bru and Fraction's take, I don't have a universal love for the concept or character or anything. That siad, the art looks absolutely amazing. Andrews as the writer as well...well I guess we'll just see. Regardless of how these new books turn out, I'll give it to Marvel, they're at least trying a bit. We have The Punisher, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, She Hulk, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight soon all back with ongoings. A few of those appeal to me, a few don't, but it seems they're trying to diversify back out again and do something a bit different with them.

Owzers

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50132

It's almost impossible to get excited for a weekly 52 issue series after having bought 11 issues of Countdown to Final Crisis. My comic buying instinct, which is used to pre-order at dcbs, tells me this is going to be a decent book that feels stretched out and to skip it.

So who's buying into Future's End and why should the rest of us?

This might be the first time i sit out on both Marvel and DC events, maybe i'll cave on Who's Shooting the Watcher? just because it's shorter.

They are really expanding the line to change the U forever. Disney must be injecting some money. All DC can do is do a pointless interview about Five Years Later.

It's almost impossible to get excited for a weekly 52 issue series after having bought 11 issues of Countdown to Final Crisis. My comic buying instinct, which is used to pre-order at dcbs, tells me this is going to be a decent book that feels stretched out and to skip it.

I guess my main draw is Terry becoming apart of mainline continuity; Batman Beyond has been absolutely amazing the past few years and I'm honestly excited, outside of even my normal DCU enthusiasm, to see him move ... beyond... being on the sidelines of one elseworld.

So in Batman Beyond 2.0 we're still gonna have the same Terry that we all know and love but in this weekly it's gonna be New 52 Terry, who'll be different? Makes sense kinda but seems weird that they'll be okay with having two different Batman Beyonds running around.

multivac

I guess my main draw is Terry becoming apart of mainline continuity; Batman Beyond has been absolutely amazing the past few years and I'm honestly excited, outside of even my normal DCU enthusiasm, to see him move ... beyond... being on the sidelines of one elseworld.

I loved Batman Beyond on television, but haven't read any of the comics. Comixology is having a sale on what I guess is everything published so far. Worth it?

I might get it. When I look at whether to read a book or not, they are defined by the writers and artists that work on them, not the subject matter, nor other series, although I can understand how getting burned on another book from the same publisher might set your opinion one way. I didn't read 52, nor trinity, nor countdown so I can't really speak to any of that. Jeff Lemire teaming up with Brian Azzarello is an interesting prospect to me, as they've both put in some great work over the last few years. It's a "might" right now though as I'm kind of oblivious to the other two writers and I'm not completely clear on who the actual art team are. I see Sook did the character designs, but is he actually working on the book?

I can't really say these are reasons why any of the rest of you should buy it ha, but certainly for me, it's those two writers that have drawn my attention to it a bit.

The only two major stars without a book in the Marvel U are Angela and Dr. strange. Gonna send jn my pitch for Dr. strange. Think I can elevate him into a household name.

I've only read the first 2 stories in Detective Comics #27 so far and man it's quality stuff. Greg Hurwitz story was really good.

Owzers

Lemire being on Future's End doesn't really sell me on it even though i like his writing overall. One does not forget Rotworld so easily, nor do they forgive.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

This might be the first time i sit out on both Marvel and DC events, maybe i'll cave on Who's Shooting the Watcher? just because it's shorter.

You pussy :p I bought all 52 issues and hated every second! What really wound me up was the inconsistency of it, the whole New Gods plot was completely at odds with the actual content of Final Crisis. Piece of shit DC, they lost a large measure of my respect then after having built it quite high during 52.

Chances of these new weekly series being 'good' is at about 0.0004657%

Lemire being on Future's End doesn't really sell me on it even though i like his writing overall. One does not forget Rotworld so easily, nor do they forgive.

Haha, like I said, I won't apply my reasoning to everyone. I wouldn't defend all of his DC output either (unfortunately, I wish I could). He did write Sweet Tooth though, and for that, I would give him a shot on anything. This is one of the rare occasions I probably would buy one or two single issues to figure out if it's really my thing, then switch over to trades if I'm onboard.

I loved Batman Beyond on television, but haven't read any of the comics. Comixology is having a sale on what I guess is everything published so far. Worth it?

Absolutely. The Batman Beyond runs have been, with few exceptions, stellar continuations of what you would have enjoyed from the TV show; They really translated the feel of it to print in a way I can't gush about enough. It's not going to be some sort of seminal work that will be lauded through the ages but I can almost promise you that you'll enjoy it. I believe that the first few runs were miniseries, usually 6-8 issues in length. It then picks up in Batman Beyond Unlimited and then Batman Beyond Universe (the most recent). Not sure how they break it up on comixology, but some of the later runs start to introduce the Justice League Beyond as chapters as well.

Filthy Slug

Just consider Animal Man a paycheck he needed to get. He just wanted to ride that Scott Snyder wave to fame and infamy and 12 issue megaevents that will not branch out into other comics i swear, i promise, j/k get those event banners ready and that checklist.

However, his recent Green Arrow run is fantastic, and even a relatively tame/boring issue like the last one is made great by Sorrentino's art.

Wow, did not realise it was the image expo already tomorrow. Who do y'all think will be Image's megaton surprise writer bringing a book to Image then?

Wow, did not realise it was the image expo already tomorrow. Who do y'all think will be Image's megaton surprise writer bringing a book to Image then?
Gary Whitta is going to announce that ahitty Oliver Twist comic again. More Morrison, Robert Kirkman, Mark Millar, Johnathan Hickman graph comics.

Big comic day. Went to LCS and got my pull, then came home and vol. 1 of Fear Agent and these arrived.

Bdelc4sIEAARZTC.jpg

Not many people have got to read this story but from what I have heard, one of the better Deathstroke stories.

Filthy Slug

Big comic day. Went to LCS and got my pull, then came home and vol. 1 of Fear Agent and these arrived.

Bdelc4sIEAARZTC.jpg

Not many people have got to read this story but from what I have heard, one of the better Deathstroke stories.

And you got the superior Detective 27 cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom