• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished Lost at Sea. It's what Bryan Lee O'Mally wrote before Scott Pilgram. I've been putting off this comic for awhile. It was REAL good, its been a long time since a comic has made me emotional. I'm going to see if I can find more like it. Might be time to finally dive in to Scalped, been saving that series for a rainy day.

frye

the new Fatale's backmatter sez we're getting a Brubaker/Phillips announcement tomorrow at Image Expo so i'm betting the next arc ends it and we're getting new CRIMINAL soon

MG310

Time for some Spider-swapping. Kaine dies, Peter gets either Kaine's or his own body back. Miles is really the Scarlet Spider in the New Warriors. Whichever body has Ock in it gets the Mark of Kaine on his face so people can tell the difference.

the new Fatale's backmatter sez we're getting a Brubaker/Phillips announcement tomorrow at Image Expo so i'm betting the next arc ends it and we're getting new CRIMINAL soon

I like Fatale, but I think it probably would be best to end it soon. It's been kind of going nowhere for a little while, now.

Cheska

Can someone explain Batman: Li'l Gothams to me? Comixology has it listed as a digital comic up to 24? However, it's listed as coming out next week as a new comic, issue 10? I'm confused O_O

Vibranium

Banned

Good, let's get some more answers for Fatale and finish it off. I still have to catch up on Criminal but that would be wonderful.

I know there's going to be breaks between arcs, but I hope he doesn't leave Velvet hanging too long.

JEKKI

lol I swear this Juan Bobillo art on FF.

like there's all this serious shyt goin down,

yet when he draws it makes it look like a children's cartoon

Dysun

THE NIGHTMARE NEVER ENDS
9WWDD9H.jpg

Look at this fucking face. This is the face of a guy who's given up on life, knowing he would forever be written by Dan fucking Slott.

Oh no, boring ass Peter Parker again.

Oni Press tweeted that Stumptown will become an ongoing series in 2014. Guess it's time to finally read up on that.

I wanna grab the hardcovers, but they're a smidge on the pricey side wherever you go.

Haha, after I literally just had a big rant the other day about how offensive I find the hardcover prices. I don't know what they are like where you like Freeze man, but the uk pricing on amazon is outrageous.

That said....this is very appealing to me. Given it'll be an ongoing, there's going to be much more room for the characters to grow. Probably my only problem with volume 1 is it's very centered around the mystery, while it's great characters Rucka writes. The mystery itself was y'know, fine, very standard, not even a mystery really ha, but it'll be exciting to see Rucka really play with the characters. Plus jesus. Lazarus, Stumptown and Veil, 2014 is going to be one hell of a year for Rucka.

Seems like each physical comic is made up of a few chapters of the digital comic.

The TPB they have up for preorder says it collects "Digital Chapters 1-11"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401244947/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That is exactly it. Me and my kid read it together, and each physical issue is made up of more than one digital chapter. What a brilliant comic it is as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Image expo is coming up?

Maybe we'll finally hear something about the Remender/Tocchini project.
The expo is tomorrow.

Mark Millar to announce he has taken ALL YOUR FAVORITE ARTISTS to work exclusively for his not-superhero analogue universe.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oni Press tweeted that Stumptown will become an ongoing series in 2014. Guess it's time to finally read up on that.
Hmm.... Rucka says on Twitter that Matthew Southworth won't be the artist. I think he was a big strength for those books, so hopefully whoever is replacing him is up to the task.

Hmm.... Rucka says on Twitter that Matthew Southworth won't be the artist. I think he was a big strength for those books, so hopefully whoever is replacing him is up to the task.

Thanks for that write up on volume 2 the other day man, I wasn't trying to be ignorant by not responding, I just forgot, I did read it ha. Well, I guess it doesn't matter now. I'll likely be buying the ongoing and I can't have one book missing from the collection haha, guess I gotta take that bullet.

That's a shame about Southworth, super cool guy/ I had a dog lover conversation once with him, he's good people. Wonder who could be the new artist. I wonder what the guy who did NEar Death with Jay Faerber a few years ago is up to these days, his art would fit pretty well against southworth. EDIT: I'm thinking of Simone Guglielmini.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm guessing there will be some news on the Prophet: Earth War miniseries since Brandon Graham's there and this month holds the last issue of the regular series.

Thanks for that write up on volume 2 the other day man, I wasn't trying to be ignorant by not responding, I just forgot, I did read it ha. Well, I guess it doesn't matter now. I'll likely be buying the ongoing and I can't have one book missing from the collection haha, guess I gotta take that bullet.

That's a shame about Southworth, super cool guy/ I had a dog lover conversation once with him, he's good people. Wonder who could be the new artist. I wonder what the guy who did NEar Death with Jay Faerber a few years ago is up to these days, his art would fit pretty well against southworth. EDIT: I'm thinking of Simone Guglielmini.

No worries, I figured you saw it.

tm24

Oh man, i had 4 weeks of comics at the shop today. Im so behind. And then there's this Original Sin stuff, Future something from DC, Kaare Andrews on a new book, X-Static coming back? HOly shit i missed a lot

Just catching up on the news, X-Statix coming back is the megaton of the century.

As for Peter coming back, it was predictable but great news nonetheless. I really hate that Ramos art though.

Blink Me

Mark Millar to announce he has taken ALL YOUR FAVORITE ARTISTS to work exclusively for his not-superhero analogue universe.

Yeah I need to stop falling for the hype for his stuff. Kick Ass 2 was just depressing and Super Crooks was forgettable. Kind of liked Secret Service though.

All that means is they will release six issues and a trade and you won't ever hear anything from it again. Par for the course with Oni.

Just jn time for the new movie! How can Peter possibly stay in New York after this???

I like how in the Bleeding Cool post he alludes to something for Secret Avengers. You fuxk ing dumbass, that series just got relaunched in March like the others its listed with. He is completely stupid and does not read comics.

Fast and loose impressions of my weeks comics.

Superman: Action Comics by Grant Morrison Vol. 3 - Good to have the run collected. Feels good. But does not feel like the Kal El we read about in any other book. If they continue to ignore this take my favourite version of the character is the one shown in B&S and S&WW. (especially after what Snyder did last week...)

On the DC Side:

Green Arrow #27: Jumping the shark moment incoming?
Green Lantern #27: Ohhh, now I think I get what the writers wanted to do with Hal after GL#20. This will be one heck of a story,
with Hal finally having to go all out and grow by rebuilding the GLC once again.
Earth-2 #19: This book is so much better than it has ANY right to be.
Now we get to see bits and pieces of HOW they manipulate Clark and I look so forward to Alan going all out to kick some ass in the next issues!
Last page got me pumped! (And made me pre-order some action figures *sigh*)

Marvel:
Avenger's World #1: Spencer + Hickman = Gold. I can't stress how good the core Avenger-Books are (New+Reg.) and this one seems to follow their greatness. Reminds me of the co-written issues before Infinity started.

Iron Man #20: Hm get's better, like the new characters but everything feels so cramped, sloppy and too fast paced despite not really much happening.

kmfdmpig

What's wrong with his right foot?
Do you mean that human ankles are not actually over a foot deep and that a foot doesn't look like a giant triangle with little toes protruding?
That foot is even worse than Liefeld's infamous feet (or non feet). I don't think the face is any better either. With a cover like that the face is the focus and that lifeless nonsense that a 5 year old could draw is the best he could come up with? It's just an embarrassing cover.

Do you mean that human ankles are not actually over a foot deep and that a foot doesn't look like a giant triangle with little toes protruding?
That foot is even worse than Liefeld's infamous feet (or non feet). I don't think the face is any better either. With a cover like that the face is the focus and that lifeless nonsense that a 5 year old could draw is the best he could come up with? It's just an embarrassing cover.
He has one of the top page rates at Marvel too. There is hope out there.

I want to see Tony Moore return at the Image Expo. I know he is battling deug addiction and stuff but he can do it. He has always been the most talented of the Moore brothers. Remender also said he wanted to work on a Western with him. How schway would that be?

Kaare Andrews I have no idea why this brah has such a weird first name but he absolutely understands comics. Iron Fist just rocketed to the top for me. Cant wait.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50154

What's your take on the
alien in the basement? Martian who had a negative psychic reaction to Batman's otherness or Kryptonian?

I don't know for sure...
Batman is wearing the Kryptonite on a necklace so it's not being contained within a lead lined pouch like the nromal Batman would do, so the reaction to it seems a little delayed? Usually direct exposure to Kryptonite has a more immeadiate effect. Perhaps reacting telepathically (if he is a Martian?)

Here's another question for Earth 2 fans.
Obviously the green energy/force that gave Alan Scott his abilities lives on, but I doubt that Scott is still alive. Are we getting ready to see a different Earth 2 GL? If so, isn't Hal Jordan dead on Earth 2 (might be remembering wrong here), but if he is, will we see an Earth 2 Guy Gardner, Jon Stewart or Kyle Rayner GL? Is Kyle the best fucking GL ever in 2 universes?

Wow, big Wednesday. So many posts to catch up on after work. Y'all are making me want to read Black Widow. I've been hankering for a well done female hero since Batwoman fell off. I'm vaguely interested in Action Comics, too. I've always had a soft spot for Superman because of the Reeve movies. But the more modern gritty Superman that I see around a lot holds no interest to me.

For you, I'd probably suggest "The Adventures of Superman", the digital first version. Each digital chapter is $0.99. They are going to be the sort of out of canon Superman stories that you'd like, I think, that you can just enjoy without muddling in continuity.

And just my opinion, but I liked the last Batwoman.

Here's another question for Earth 2 fans.
Obviously the green energy/force that gave Alan Scott his abilities lives on, but I doubt that Scott is still alive. Are we getting ready to see a different Earth 2 GL? If so, isn't Hal Jordan dead on Earth 2 (might be remembering wrong here), but if he is, will we see an Earth 2 Guy Gardner, Jon Stewart or Kyle Rayner GL? Is Kyle the best fucking GL ever in 2 universes?

I have a feeling it'll still be Alan Scott. I just don't think they'll abandon him that quickly.

tim1138

I don't know for sure...
Batman is wearing the Kryptonite on a necklace so it's not being contained within a lead lined pouch like the nromal Batman would do, so the reaction to it seems a little delayed? Usually direct exposure to Kryptonite has a more immeadiate effect. Perhaps reacting telepathically (if he is a Martian?)

Yeah, the way it played out
the Kryptonite seemed a little too convenient. I have a feeling that was a misdirection to keep Bats identity/origin under wraps until all is revealed in the annual

And to Shin's point:

I'd almost bet money it's still Alan. The Green probably put him in that energy cocoon to heal him.

I'm leaning to wards the new character being the Earth 2 Martian Manhunter. I don't know about it still being Scott though, what they did to him sounded pretty damn brutal. Don't they beat him till his body stops twitching and he's just some big bloody lumps or meat.

I'm leaning to wards the new character being the Earth 2 Martian Manhunter. I don't know about it still being Scott though, what they did to him sounded pretty damn brutal. Don't they beat him till his body stops twitching and he's just some big bloody lumps or meat.

Remember that in Earth 2, The Green Lantern is more connected to "The Green" ala Swamp Thing, to the opposite of Earth 2 Grundy's "The Rot". He was able to heal/restore the plant life that Grundy destroyed during the first run of the series. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assume that he himself could regenerate/heal even from the brutal beating he took.

3 hours til the Image expo keynote, I'm such a hype whore. There will probably be nothing huge on note for me since Brubaker & Rucka each have a few ongoings happening already, Snyder & Lemire are DC exclusive, Aaron already has Southern Bastards. That pretty much rounds up my favourite writers and what they're up to. Short of Joe Hill appearing with a book, I'm not sure what would blow my mind. Still....I'm hyped haha. Hopefully see some of Southern Bastards this week.

What's a good jumping on point for Earth 2?

I'd recommend you start from the beginning; But if that isn't a feasible option, I think you could get by from Issue #14 onwards; The beginning of the current war arc. The problem is that there is alot of world building going on so you might not have much idea who some of these characters are. You'd want to do a little bit of research, imo. If you start at Issue #14, I'd also suggest Issue #1 as a standalone, so you understand why the world is the way that it is.

tim1138

I'd recommend you start from the beginning; But if that isn't a feasible option, I think you could get by from Issue #14 onwards; The beginning of the current war arc. The problem is that there is alot of world building going on so you might not have much idea who some of these characters are. You'd want to do a little bit of research, imo. If you start at Issue #14, I'd also suggest Issue #1 as a standalone, so you understand why the world is the way that it is.

Yeah this isn't like Green Arrow for example where the new writer taking over was a clear jump on point. Taylor is still wrapping up an arc Robinson started.

I'd also recommend issue 0 if you start at #14. #0 introduced Sloan and he's fairly significant to the World Police story.

Remember that in Earth 2, The Green Lantern is more connected to "The Green" ala Swamp Thing, to the opposite of Earth 2 Grundy's "The Rot". He was able to heal/restore the plant life that Grundy destroyed during the first run of the series. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assume that he himself could regenerate/heal even from the brutal beating he took.

That is a really good point, I have to give you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom