• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Civil War was bad but i was still riding high on Red Son and Ultimates to completely hold that against him, and Old Man Logan was decent. But at some point everything got rapey.

Veelk

Banned
So when is Wytches and The Wicked and The Divine coming out, exactly? I'm not seeing any sources that give a release date

Messi

Civil War is probably lower on the "reasons to hate millar" list for most people here, tbh
tumblr_l98p84eRSR1qbcsb2.png

Is...Is that for real? He wrote that?

that's still sort of where it is..... and next issue shit gets real.

Also, something huge (Spider-Man comic related) has been leaked and is making its rounds through the internet. Be careful if you want to stay in the dark about where the series is going.

Thanks! I need to get home to get the new issues ASAP. Hopefully they're a bit better than Amazing Spider Man 700.1-5, because that was all terrible.

Nemesis taught me to never blind buy a book again, ever. An unrelenting heap of shit.

IMAGE EXPO, YOU GUYS! So many cool looking books. I'm interested in:

Wytches
C.O.W.L.
Bitch Planet
Paradigms
Nameless
Restoration

And most of all, The Wicked and The Divine, because GILLEN AND MCKELVIE FUCK YEAH.

I'm probably just going to drop all DC books apart from Batman, Earth-2 and Batman/Superman.

Owzers

We can only assume that DC has a ton of awesome books to announce for April.

If one of them is a Johns Lex Luthor i will be disappointed.

Owzers

Why gaf is still confusing to me.

I found it to be somewhat enjoyable in parts but overall really dumb, the same for Secret Invasion. Super Hero registry? Sure. Iron Man/Cap whose side are you on with tie-ins that don't want to be consistent with Stark's character? Eh. And the ending...

I'm going to try to find some time to reread it to see if i'm judging it too harshly.

Awe, I read the first two issues of Adventures of Superman and I love it so much <3 it's nice to be reminded that I can enjoy a cape comic. I love good, sweet, virtuous Superman. Jeff Lemire's drawing of Superman is kind of comically janky but AoS #2 tells such a sweet story.

Makes me wonder, though. Are there any major superheroes in the big two that have a character akin to old school Superman? Just, like, good, sweet, kind, gentle heroes? That aren't dark, gritty or angst riddled? I understand that to tell a long form story there needs to be inner conflict but surely that can be done without the character having to be edgy or have an attitude or be miserable the majority of the time.

Ephidel

Having gone back through the announcements, I've chosen the ones I'm most interested in and tried to scrape some pictures together. Many of the info links on image's site linked to from their announcement post don't seem to work atm though, so I only used the ones that do in case the others change.

8House
Brandon Graham et al.
Sci-Fi/Fantasy
"A series of science-fiction/fantasy miniseries set in a world ruled by eight houses"
"It's me collaborating with a huge amount of people to make a shared universe, a magic fantasy thing about these eight magical houses that control everything," he says. "There are all these magic wars going on," including, "the bodies of Cthulhu monsters in space."
Image PR HERE.

Bitch Planet
Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine De Landro
Pulp Sci-Fi
Summer? 2014
"Sure to be a campy, kick-ass adventure, BITCH PLANET is the story of five leading ladies ready to bust out of their prison cells. BITCH PLANET is a new, ongoing science-fiction action series"
Image Launch PR HERE.

@aaronmeyers said:
Cerulean (maybe)
Nick Spencer and Frazier Irving
Sci-Fi
"The last survivors of Earth, who upload their consciousnesses and take the long way to an inhabitable planet"

@aaronmeyers said:
C.O.W.L.
Kyle Higgins, Alec Segal, and Rod Reis
1960's Superheroes
May 2014
"1960s Chicago, in a time when the once-heralded superhero labor union C.O.W.L. struggles to maintain their public image and regain the confidence of the people"
Image Launch PR HERE.

Low
Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini
Oceanic Sci-Fi "Aquatic Sci-Fi Fantasy"
Preview (NSFW)
A "high-octane science fiction adventure, this time to the lowest depths of Earth after it has been ravaged by the sun&#8217;s radiation"
Image PR HERE.

Ody-C
Matt Fraction and Christian Ward
Mythological Sci-Fi
Late Summer / Fall
"A retelling of the Odyssey in Space, where all the men are women and all the women are men"

@debaoki said:
Paradigms (maybe)
Nick Spencer and Butch Guice
Fantasy / Spy thriller
Tagline: Belief is a Weapon
"Kind of a mile-a-minute exploration of these clans that are subject to the approval of their gods"

Restoration
Bill Willingham and Barry Kitson
Modern Fantasy?
2014 (though "the art isn't finished yet aside from a preliminary sketch")
"Lords of magic have been slowly taking away magic away from the modern world, and that is why there is no magic around, yet something happens in a secret facility and magic, monsters, and mayhem are unleashed upon the our world. Demons and monsters begin claiming territory, and so the series begins."

The Wicked and the Divine by Kieron Gillen and James McKelvie
Modern Day Gods and Mobsters Idols
Summer 2014
"Every 90 years gods reincarnate in human bodies. This has gone on forever. These people speak in tongues, they perform secretive miracles. They are loved, they are hated, they are brilliant. And in two years, they are dead"
And from Image, "The new ongoing series will feature guest creators and surprise arcs with alternate endings that will bring the gods of mythology to life."
Alternate endings sounds... odd.

Wytches
Scott Snyder and Jock
Horror
"Everything you thought you knew about witches is wrong. They are much darker, and they are much more horrifying"

I'll probably end up trade waiting Wytches though. Most Snyder books seem to read better that way.

I'm interested in Casanova's new "fancy-ass hardcovers" when they come out ^^

And while I don't think I'm interested in Nameless, I love this quote:
"Nameless is the ultimate horror comic," Burnham says. "[Morrison] has never done a straight-up, ball-to-the-wall horror book. That's what I told him I wanted, and that's what we're doing. I think it's going to be awesome and terrible, and hopefully some 11-year-old kids will steal it, and it'll ruin their lives forever"

And Joe Keatinge and Leila Del Luca's 'Shutter' which releases in April has a preview -
http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=19745&cover=1

Owzers

Awe, I read the first two issues of Adventures of Superman and I love it so much <3 it's nice to be reminded that I can enjoy a cape comic. I love good, sweet, virtuous Superman. Jeff Lemire's drawing of Superman is kind of comically janky but AoS #2 tells such a sweet story.

Makes me wonder, though. Are there any major superheroes in the big two that have a character akin to old school Superman? Just, like, good, sweet, kind, gentle heroes? That aren't dark, gritty or angst riddled? I understand that to tell a long form story there needs to be inner conflict but surely that can be done without the character having to be edgy or have an attitude or be miserable the majority of the time.

Did you ever read Fables? It had a couple upstanding citizen fables. Invincible is a great guy too.

ReiGun

I came in at the ass end of the Image presser. I'm reading up now, and so far "Ody-C," "C.O.W.L," and "The Wicked and the Divine" are the standouts for me.

Old school Wonder Woman; The Flash has always been a pretty upbeat dude; Captain America...kinda. He has Superman's idealism and kindness, but some writers take him down angst road from time to time; Spider-Man...sometimes.

mjc

Man, I got out of comics a handful of years ago but seeing those Image books is mighty tempting. I refuse to pick up superhero books again but these other stories are interesting.

Side question: Is Fables still good? It's been at least three years since I stopped reading it.

From today's announcements, I'm most interested for 8House and Bitch Planet. Not many of the other announcements fall into my wheelhouse. Still, I continue to be amazed by Image's savvy and am pleased that so many of the announcements have Comic-GAF pumped.

vocab

Really digging what image is doing. Some of these titles are promising. I'm not a fan of super hero comics, so image doing more of what I like is awesome.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
These Image books are great, but let me tell you guys about another great book: FBP.

I just got through #7 and despite 6 being a bit tame, the setup for what happens in 7 is fucking fantastic--great payoff in a two-part arc.

I completely shit the bed and forgot Dead Boy Detectives was out, though. Gotta find that issue asap.

Messi

For me Image puts out the best titles and the ones I look forward to most each month. I am fine with cape comics but what Image are trying to do is so much more appealing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Given that the sister is only impregnated with a turkey baster or something rather than being raped, it's still more tasteful than it could have been.

Well, Millar has to save something for later. He always needs a darker, edgier place to go in the next series to up the ante.

arkon

Catching up on the image expo. God damn. So hyped for loads of those books. 8House immediately jumped out at me. Seems like a natural extension of the stuff he was messing around with in Prophet. Glad to finally see more of Low. I'd been waiting on concrete information since those first teaser images way back. Wicked and Divine, Casanova (hopefully some nice oversized hardcovers coming too), will probably check out the Tech Jacket miniseries as well.

Still need to finish catching up on all the announcements. At the moment though just worried about how I'm going to afford all this shit :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom