• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thank you all so much! Looks like i'm screwed haha, but will read up as much as I can on wiki before reading the book!

I am pretty new to super hero comic books, though I have read the Thor Omnibus and enjoyed it greatly. I have also read some superman comics (red son, all star I think?) Sadly the library here doesnt have too many comic books so I read what was available.

The graphic novel I have enjoyed most was Preacher, and then Lucifer. Hopefully next month is when I can read Sandman (local book shop is supposed to get the issues they dont have currently next month), heard great things about it!

That's the spirit! tbh, jumping in and getting stuff through context is fun in itself, that's what got me into the hobby when I was a kid. And especially with the Legion, it's so stupidly rich that it's just an info overload, super fun.

Sounds like you're getting a solid grounding in the classics too. Welcome to the rest of your life :p

Thank you all so much! Looks like i'm screwed haha, but will read up as much as I can on wiki before reading the book!

I am pretty new to super hero comic books, though I have read the Thor Omnibus and enjoyed it greatly. I have also read some superman comics (red son, all star I think?) Sadly the library here doesnt have too many comic books so I read what was available.

The graphic novel I have enjoyed most was Preacher, and then Lucifer. Hopefully next month is when I can read Sandman (local book shop is supposed to get the issues they dont have currently next month), heard great things about it!

Not sure if this helps but I've never finished Infinite Crisis or read Lightning Saga and I loved that book. I do read Legion things so I knew of everyone in it so I don't know how hard not knowing them is. Hope you like it!

JAN131226.jpg

Well, I got this in the mail today. Feeling pretty reinvigorated in terms of excitement about the series again. It went through a rough patch when Mitten left the series, and I really wasn't sure Greenwood was the man to replace him at first but Greenwood has come on with his style ridiculously in the last year, we're nearing the end of the series and Michael and Abi are close to the end of their journey, and Mitten's coming back for the final story! So yea, feeling pretty amped about the book again and can't wait to give it a read. Between Wasteland ending, and having both Umbral and The Fuse at Image, Antony Johnston is going to have a great year in comics in 2014.

I thought for a long time Wasteland is probably the book most deserving in all of indie comics of more attention, compared to what it gets and it's level of quality. I don't know if that's being at Oni Press or what, if it had been at Image or Vertigo, I think there would have been so much more buzz about it throughout the years. It's cool that despite the very little coverage it gets and the issues it had over the art change the book made it all the way to htis point and will be able to finish out it's 60 issue plan. I would literally recommend volume 1 to anyone looking for an exceptional indie comic. Great characters, great art, great plot and world. If any of you guys are interested in the book, you can actually read the whole first issue (for free) on it's official site, right here: Click

8bit

Knows the Score
Well thanks for the spoilers man. I'm reading Cataclysm and fully expected the universe to end. Fucking spoilers in solicits is bullshit.

Yeah, I thought similarly with Miles travelling somewhere else. That new thing sounds kind of rubbish TBH.

tim1138

I'm through the Wild Hunt in Hellboy (I think that's volume 9?), and love absolutely everything about the series. My absolute favorite development to date was tying Hellboy into
the Pendragon line and introducing Arthurian legend
. I grew up reading that stuff, so I rightfully geeked out when Mignola introduced it here. Thanks to getting the whole series on the cheap when Amazon and the Kindle editions on sale for $4, I haven't touched the BPRD stuff yet. I don't feel like I'm missing anything though, as I'm really enjoying Hellboy's journey.

DC announce yo books already. The only Image book I wil absolutely jot purchase is Bitch Planet. I need more info on Bill Willingham's book. Nick Spencer will get like two issues to wow me, Imowe FraIer Irving that much.

I'm through the Wild Hunt in Hellboy (I think that's volume 9?), and love absolutely everything about the series. My absolute favorite development to date was tying Hellboy into
the Pendragon line and introducing Arthurian legend
. I grew up reading that stuff, so I rightfully geeked out when Mignola introduced it here. Thanks to getting the whole series on the cheap when Amazon and the Kindle editions on sale for $4, I haven't touched the BPRD stuff yet. I don't feel like I'm missing anything though, as I'm really enjoying Hellboy's journey.

Absolutely incredible isn't it? I love that twist as well. Son of
a demon in hell and a witch, heir to the pendragon line, and the bringer of the apocalypse (allegedly)
. Absolutely mental haha. Yea, BPRD stands so well apart. A lot of what Hellboy finds out on the island is where BPRD comes in and ties in, it fleshes out other major parts of that mythology. Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus ties into that stuff too. Like you say though, the best thing is you don't feel like your missing anything, and you could rightly never look at that stuff and enjoy it on its own terms. I absolutely love it all though, incredible epic stuff. I like the more folklorey bent Hellboy takes post volume 5.

Haha edited some of that out, because I just don't even want to hint at anything. We will have great conversations when your done.

tim1138

Absolutely incredible isn't it? I love that twist as well. Son of
a demon in hell and a witch, heir to the pendragon line, and the bringer of the apocalypse (allegedly)
. Absolutely mental haha. Yea, BPRD stands so well apart. A lot of what Hellboy finds out on the island is where BPRD comes in and ties in, it fleshes out other major parts of that mythology. Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus ties into that stuff too. Like you say though, the best thing is you don't feel like your missing anything, and you could rightly never look at that stuff and enjoy it on its own terms. I absolutely love it all though, incredible epic stuff. I like the more folklorey bent Hellboy takes post volume 5.

Haha edited some of that out, because I just don't even want to hint at anything. We will have great conversations when your done.

My only complaint so far is that the Passport to the Supernatural book that Mignola references in the front matter for one of the volumes looks to be long out of print.

From a strictly Hellboy perspective, is Hellboy in Hell next? Looks like volume 1 of that doesn't drop until June.

I do plan to read all of BPRD and the Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien stuff as well, but I just couldn't tear myself away from HB.

I didn't know Doop was only a mini, must've gotten lost in the shuffle. Brah can sustain a series longer than Morbius.

And fuck DCBS for not shipping out on time. I do more business in a week than most do in a month.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I didn't know Doop was only a mini, must've gotten lost in the shuffle. Brah can sustain a series longer than Morbius.

And fuck DCBS for not shipping out on time. I do more business in a week than most do in a month.

I think a Doop mini is perfect if you do it in the Doop & RANDOMHERO way, like that great issue of Wolverine and The X-Men where they fight nazis in a bowling alley.

From a strictly Hellboy perspective, is Hellboy in Hell next? Looks like volume 1 of that doesn't drop until June.

I do plan to read all of BPRD and the Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien stuff as well, but I just couldn't tear myself away from HB.

Well, if you're on volume 9, you've still got 10,11 and 12 to go through and then yes, you join us in the long wait between trades haha. They put out two hardcovers in the last two years that are just short stories, about 54pages each I think? You could read them too, The Midnight Circus offers plenty of hints towards future stuff in Hellboy In Hell.

Just use the time to read BPRD etc. though, there's so much of that. While it's obviously not Mike himself, it does act as a really nice compliment to Hellboy and is really great. Once you're all caught up, there's so much coming, it'll kill a lot of the time between now and HBiH. Two BPRD trades, a lobster trade, an Abe trade and Sledgehammer are all due to drop between now and summer time. You have the absolutely brilliant 1940s/Vampire stuff to read too which is really fun and lets you see a lot of Bruttenholm when he was younger. The cool thing is there's stuff in BPRD and the 1940s that draws from even as far back as seed of destruction and wake the devil, and makes those stories even better.

What's the deal with Ultimate Black Widow? Is she a teenager? The Ultimate FF book sounds bad, I've learned to be wary of books where there is no hook in the interview, only casts and vague bs. Joshua Hale Failkovis the Cullen Bunn of the Ultimate line.

I am a newbie comic reader who needs some help!

My wife got me "Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds" as part of a set of books for my birthday!

Hello! Welcome to the hobby. As you might expect, falling into comics, especially those with decades of continuity such as the Big 2 of DC and Marvel, is never going to be easy. You just sort of have to muddle your way through in the beginning.

The Legion of Super Heroes is one of those properties that has some of the most convoluted backstory, due in part to how long they've been around (since 1958) and an because they've gone through several revisions and reboots over the years; Part of this is a side effect of being set in the future and having to readjust for changes in the present (example: can't be inspired by Superboy if he never existed!)

The basic gist of the Legion is; They are a group of young super heroes a thousand years in the future who have banded together to protect Earth and the United Planets. Generally, they've gotten their inspiration from Superman or Superboy, so they tend to adopt his principals; i.e. no killing. Each member tends to have a single power, one that is usually the result of an accident or their place of birth.

Legion of 3 Worlds, as some of our fellow thread members have described, is a tie-in to Final Crisis in the loosest sense. All you really need to know is that Superboy Prime is a version of Superboy who went down an evil path; He tends to be immensely powerful and usually an existential threat when he pops up. In Legion of 3 Worlds, it becomes apparent that he is too much for them to handle alone, so they call upon other Legions, from other realities, to help them. This is a nod towards and an attempt to reconcile the different versions and acknowledge they all existed.

tldr: Superboy Prime is an asshole and the Legion calls in other versions of themselves to help fight him. You won't know most of the heroes and villains involved, but it's still a very entertaining story! Hope you enjoy!

Is there anything else I should read before I read this, and does this story continue anywhere after this book ends? I guess I want to know if this can be read as a standalone book or should I buy some previous volumes to get a better idea?

There is no real direct continuation to Legion of 3 Worlds; However, if you end up liking it, I'd recommend "Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes" as it was also written by Geoff Johns. Legion is difficult to get into. I'm an enthusiast so I'd love it if more people read them, but going back is extremely difficult. There are "Essentials" or "Archives" that collect older versions of the Legion stories for cheap, but you're talking 1960s/1970s Legion.

Been seeing decent reviews of Dan Slotts The Superior Spider-Man. So thinking of picking up the first volume.
Can anyone advise if the series is worth collecting?

Ultimate line spoilers:
Oh shit, Michael Fiffe is going to be writing All-New Ultimates. He's the dude who has been self publishing Copra, which I hear very good things about. I might be tempted to check this out.

DEFINITELY get that book. It's astonishing.

This news is just incomprehensibly rad.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The problem with Lo3W for a non-fan is that unless you know who Bart Allen is, the OH MY GOD FUCK YES FINALLY bit won't really land so well. Everything else is just Random Lad or Lass getting punched hard and that's cool.

Donie gets to talk about Hellboy. GH gets to talk about the Legion. It's a good day on Comic-GAF, and were just getting started.

And then I sit down to read Robotech/Voltron.

Sigh. I want to like it. But it's got a number of flaws. It relies too heavily on you being a fan of the properties. I guess you can't really fault it for that as it was going to be a niche of a niche, but it doesn't even pretend to explain anything at all about anything. The art is decent if unusual, there are definitely some parts I kind of like.

A few amusing scenes as a fan of the series' like
Breetai's ship getting destroyed out of nowhere by one of the crashing Lions.

I'll probably still get the rest of the issues but my enthusiasm has been dampened.

arkon

You can read Legion of 3 Worlds without reading any of the Crisis books. I certainly did. Although I probably wasn't as new to comics as iamcool38 seems to be. I knew about the Crisis events but I never really read up on what happened in them (I still haven't). Same with the Legion. I knew of them but not much more beyond being superheroes in the far future with an apparently convoluted history.

I'm sure I missed out on the full context of certain scenes but the book was still a very fun read with lovely art. So much so that I actually started reading the Legion because of it. I've been slowly working my way through older stories since.

Dysun

They just can't put the Ultimate line to rest already
Oh well I'll keep not buying it, and file it under reason: Ultimatum/Loeb

tim1138

As per my Twitter conversation with them this morning, Ales Kot and Chris Burnham want to work together on a project in the future. I'm gonna go ahead and call this nonexistent book the greatest comic ever published.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
As per my Twitter conversation with them this morning, Ales Kot and Chris Burnham want to work together on a project in the future. I'm gonna go ahead and call this nonexistent book the greatest comic ever published.

Son of a bitch, first Nameless, now THIS.

tim1138

Hey Filthy Slug, were you the one who was gonna get the Planetary omni? I remember someone saying they were so we could discuss the awesome that is Planetary.

Are we taking bets as to I Wytches start with

"My mother once told me"

All of Snyder's horror stuff should start with that.

Werewolves: "My mother once told me..."
Frankenstein: "My mother once told me..."
The Mummy: "My mother once told me..."

I hope that's an American Vampire reference, been a while since I read it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom