• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read Black Widow #1. I'm not a huge fan of the character. I only grabbed it cause Edmondson is writing Punisher and I hadn't read anything by him before. I liked it. Wasn't blown away, but it was good. The art is beautiful.

Sex Criminals continues to be good.

The new FBP was also pretty good. Some weird things set up. For a minute I thought they just went super dark with the ending, but then they subverted it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just read Black Widow #1. I'm not a huge fan of the character. I only grabbed it cause Edmondson is writing Punisher and I hadn't read anything by him before. I liked it. Wasn't blown away, but it was good. The art is beautiful.

Sex Criminals continues to be good.

The new FBP was also pretty good. Some weird things set up. For a minute I thought they just went super dark with the ending, but then they subverted it.

Damn good, I'd say! Also, it is pretty dark if you think about it--
those poor fuckers are stuck in an infinite loop in a blackhole generator

Damn good, I'd say! Also, it is pretty dark if you think about it--
those poor fuckers are stuck in an infinite loop in a blackhole generator

Yeah, that was a fucked up but deserving ending, until
Cicero said they were gonna phone it in after a week, so the criminals will probably be pulled out

Finally caught up with Superior Spider-Man.
I'm... not too excited about the next issue. It seems like (Issue 25)
The Avengers are going to assume he's just Parker with the symbiote instead of someone else in his body.
It seems like a rather 'meh' arc at the moment. Also,
what's up with the goblin army? That's pretty dumb.

I got issue #1 of Fables to try it out after playing 'The Wolf Among Us'. Hopefully that's pretty good. Also got the first TMNT and Mega Man issues to start those.
How's that Cataclysm event? I saw that Miles Morales is hanging about.

TMNT is good and I really like Fables. I haven't read Mega Man yet but I've bought my kid some of the trades. He's his own little backlog. lol

Awe, I read the first two issues of Adventures of Superman and I love it so much <3 it's nice to be reminded that I can enjoy a cape comic. I love good, sweet, virtuous Superman. Jeff Lemire's drawing of Superman is kind of comically janky but AoS #2 tells such a sweet story.

Yea, I'm way behind on it but Adventures of Superman is so good.

I got issue #1 of Fables to try it out after playing 'The Wolf Among Us'. Hopefully that's pretty good. Also got the first TMNT and Mega Man issues to start those.
How's that Cataclysm event? I saw that Miles Morales is hanging about.

TMNT is awesome! The first issue got me hooked. I tradewait on it though, so I'm a bit behind at the moment.

zeeaykay

Marvel Knights Spider-Man continues to be one of the best books marvel is putting out. The art is absolutely insane, and the number of inventive page layouts per issue is astonishing. Marco Rudy is absolutely killing it, and the writing by Kindt fits it perfectly sprase. Kindt has a great way of being concise and giving his thoughts a lot of room to breathe. With one issue left, this is definitely up there with top Spider-Man runs.

Letter 44 was great. I wasn't sure I was going to pick it up after the first two, but this one had some great character and plot development with some quieter moments. The cliff hanger threw me for a huge loop.

Young Avengers. I'm not sure how I feel about this series. I want to like it. I don't hate it. It's just... I don't know. Maybe a bit too ambitious for it's own good? I feel like a lot of stuff towards the end went over my head, and I'm not sure the humor or mood the comic was going for always connected. Still, I appreciate what they tried, though I can say I'm glad it's over after fifteen issues.

FBP is consistently solid. Really love the world they're building, and the characters are all likable. I'm not really invested in the whole who is Lance Blackwood plotline, but I feel like I'm forgetting something important and I'm sure it's all set up for a big reveal. I enjoy the different feel the arcs have had. The art was a little less eccentric than it usually is, but save a giant forehead on Reyes in one panel it still has an appealing identity to it.

Still have to read Three, Sex Criminals, and Manifest Destiny. Great week for comics!

Toa TAK

Banned
SO GOOD.

Just finished reading through volumes 2 & 3 of Superior Spider-Man.

Holy God, please, just have Stegman do the art for this series. I like Camuncoli, but no Ramos!

The mind battle with Octavius and Parker was awesome, the art was incredibly appropriate to the story. Sad stuff. But I'm pretty happy that there is no more Ghost Peter! Otto kicking ass all over the place while still keeping some of that trademark villain motifs is sweet. Green Goblin vs. Superior Spidey is something I cannot wait for when the shit hits.

Ah fuck. Next volume doesn't come out until the first week of February. Seriously considering a full-on subscription to this series. I want to catch up so bad. Fun comic through and through.

See, now you screwed up. Soon all your money will be sucked down the drain as you attempt to keep up with all these comics you like and people recommend.

RIP Toa TAK's bank account

Toa TAK

Banned
See, now you screwed up. Soon all your money will be sucked down the drain as you attempt to keep up with all these comics you like and people recommend.

RIP Toa TAK's bank account

It's so bad, I'm on Amazon moping up individual issues in my cart.

And I still haven't bought Volume 1 of Fables, either.

I need more money...

I need.. a second job (again)!

Owzers

The Twelve, 8 issues in: So this is a weird book that reads like 12 captain america's and the Watchmen had out of time babies. My problem right now is that so much time has been spent getting to know the characters and origin story flashbacks that the barely-hinted at future DOOM has no time to doom it up. I'm reading an origin story mini.

Bigfoot

I'm so dumb.

I buy the Hawkguy single issues, the trades, and the hardcovers.

Seriously, these delays are killing me, bros.
I only buy the trades so the delays are even worse for me. The last one I read was trade #2 (aka issue 11).

Also still waiting for the last Locke & Key hardcover trade which is even worse.

I need to catch up on my backlog but all I want to do is buy more issues of Adventures of Superman. A1 escape comics. Escape from your backlog with.. Superman!

Marvel Knights Spider-Man continues to be one of the best books marvel is putting out. The art is absolutely insane, and the number of inventive page layouts per issue is astonishing. Marco Rudy is absolutely killing it, and the writing by Kindt fits it perfectly sprase. Kindt has a great way of being concise and giving his thoughts a lot of room to breathe. With one issue left, this is definitely up there with top Spider-Man runs.

Read the first issue because of your post.
The art is great, but EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE.
Holy shit, it's crazy. Loving it.

Because of this thread, I've spent over $30 in comics today. Shiet.

Read the rest of my haul minus Batman Black and White.

X-Files continues to be amazing even though I really don't think about it leading up to the release. I'm not excited to get it but it has never disappointed me. Every issue has been interesting.

FE Arkham War was a bit better this week but nothing special. Still have no clue what the point is yet.

Sex Criminals was pretty good.

Afterlife with Archie continues to be top notch. Even if you took out the Archie universe you are still left with a good zombie book.

Read my 1992 Deathstroke the Terminator City of Assassins story arc and while it was technically good, comic writing and art in the 90's was kinda corny. Deathstroke fighting Batman and eventually teaming up was pretty cool.

Now I get to read the Fear Agent Omnibus!

vocab

I read Locke and Key volume 1. I like it a lot. I probably should like it more, but my mood was kinda in a weird spot when I read it. The pace is just crazy, and the little details in the art between panels are really good. I should probably buy the rest, but I only ordered the second volume for now.

Reading Fables volume 5 in the mean time. The back stories are a little slow compared the main storyline, but it's still enjoyable to read. WW2 Bigby is pretty dialogue heavy.

Has anyone read Henry and Glenn Forever and Ever? Oh man, it's so funny. It's about Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig's day-to-day life as a (fictional, duh) couple living in LA. Their neighbors are Daryl Hall and John Oates who are Satan worshippers. Really quite a delightful read.

Has anyone read Henry and Glenn Forever and Ever? Oh man, it's so funny. It's about Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig's day-to-day life as a (fictional, duh) couple living in LA. Their neighbors are Daryl Hall and John Oates who are Satan worshippers. Really quite a delightful read.

I hadn't even heard of this, but damn I so want it now

So when is Wytches and The Wicked and The Divine coming out, exactly? I'm not seeing any sources that give a release date

I put the date for Wytches up earlier in the thread. It's September. ABC News released an iterview with Snyder right after the announcement that said September. Reaaally hope that date sticks. What I hate trying to discern is which announcements are ongoings and which are minis.

I think the problem is that ALL Millar is, is an idea man. He's not got a very good grasp on characters and how to evolve them beyond their initial concept, dialogue is fine but often very crass, and the idea's all edge towards the ridiculous with no genuine thematic reasoning for them.

Blink Me

The Twelve, 8 issues in: So this is a weird book that reads like 12 captain america's and the Watchmen had out of time babies. My problem right now is that so much time has been spent getting to know the characters and origin story flashbacks that the barely-hinted at future DOOM has no time to doom it up. I'm reading an origin story mini.

You should have tried reading that back in 2008 as it JMS stopped writing it after issue 8 and the final issue came out a year or two ago. Lost all enthusiasm for that book. That was the same time Project Superpowers and Next Issue Project came out when Dynamite and Image were re-introducing public domain superhero characters. Wish Next Issue Project didn't come out every 3 years.

speaking of rape in comics, Deadpool MAX #1! It's like the creators are just having fun making it as R-rated as possible, and god it is so over the top. like, Bob (DP's straight man) has to be a servant for this crime boss guy and all the servants barely wear clothes and Bob has to fuck this big crime boss guy and take his abuse and at one point molds a key with human shit. It's super crass and i kinda liked that, though I don't know if i'll pick up anymore issues right now

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
speaking of rape in comics, Deadpool MAX #1! It's like the creators are just having fun making it as R-rated as possible, and god it is so over the top. like, Bob (DP's straight man) has to be a servant for this crime boss guy and all the servants barely wear clothes and Bob has to fuck this big crime boss guy and take his abuse and at one point molds a key with human shit. It's super crass and i kinda liked that, though I don't know if i'll pick up anymore issues right now

Its been out for a while. Its never as crass as issue 1 later in the series but its gets as hard as this might be to believe....... A lot weirder.

If you like Alt deadpool stories. Deadpool Noire was good but I also think Luke cage noir was g.o.a.t from that series.

Oh I know, I just bought the first issue from the current comixology sale. But shit, if it gets even weirder, i might go ahead and buy some more

but current comics. Black Widow #1 was decent. Noto has some good stuff and of course he gets in his pretty lady headshots (and some panels of a hero in people clothes), but he's pretty good at them, so. I'll give it another shot but it was a super basic first issue, and no real hook to sell me on the next one. and i guess she has a cat

I am a newbie comic reader who needs some help!

My wife got me "Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds" as part of a set of books for my birthday! Is there anything else I should read before I read this, and does this story continue anywhere after this book ends? I guess I want to know if this can be read as a standalone book or should I buy some previous volumes to get a better idea?

The cover is this one:

ha5Qmgo.jpg

My wife got me "Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds" as part of a set of books for my birthday! Is there anything else I should read before I read this, and does this story continue anywhere after this book ends? I guess I want to know if this can be read as a standalone book or should I buy some previous volumes to get a better idea?

First off, welcome!

I think (and someone who's much more adept than me will probably correct me) you would have to read a book called Infinite Crisis, because a few characters and events from that story continue and conclude(?) here.

First off, welcome!

I think (and someone who's much more adept than me will probably correct me) you would have to read a book called Infinite Crisis, because a few characters and events from that story continue and conclude(?) here.

Thanks! I will look for Infinite Crisis then. Should I assume that Final Crisis is the last book of the overarching story? Also, is Infinite Crisis the starting point, or there are other books before it as well?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

The cover is this one:

ha5Qmgo.jpg

Oh wow. OK, this is complicated. How new are you?? :p

The Legion are DC's most complex property, and this story is balls out lunacy from panel one. It's a tie in miniseries to a massive universe ending event which is a sequel to two other big events. And that's without even the Legion involved.

Long story short, Superboy Prime is a massive dick. He gets sent to the far future to be a massive dick. The Legion then pull together THREE CONTINUITIES worth of characters (because they kept being re-written and rebooted) and have a big fight.

I guess if I was to suggest stuff to read before I would say wiki Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, paying attention to the Superboy Prime stuff. Maybe have a quick read up on the Legion too.

This story is a single chapter in Geoff Johns' Legion reboot, the other bits being JLA/JSA: The Lightning Saga and then Superman and the Legion of Superheroes (I think that's what it was called). This should get you up to speed on the 'modern' Legion and then the Three Worlds story picks up right from there.

So basically, your GF chose pretty much the worst comic to buy you lmao. It IS really good and the art is mental, so you might just want to jump in and see where it gets you. But having a tie in miniseries to an event, both of which are sequels of sequels and deal with multiple timelines and universes as one of your first books.... ouch!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks! I will look for Infinite Crisis then. Should I assume that Final Crisis is the last book of the overarching story? Also, is Infinite Crisis the starting point, or there are other books before it as well?

The trouble with comics, and especially event comics is that there rarely is a good starting point. Infinite Crisis for example was preceeded by FOUR six issue miniseries, and years worth of general events in the universe. And then was followed up by a 52 issue weekly series.

IMO you're better off just reading what interests you and using your magnificent brain to piece together the details later.

wheres GH when ya need him

I know, right? He'd be a huge help.

No, Final Crisis is a separate story from Infinite Crisis. Infinite's story wraps up - for the most part - in that book.

EDIT: Jedeye's right too. The thing w/ Lo3W is that it was also the big finish to something DC had been doing for years with the Legion. Just go with what you like and fill in everything later.

Thank you all so much! Looks like i'm screwed haha, but will read up as much as I can on wiki before reading the book!

I am pretty new to super hero comic books, though I have read the Thor Omnibus and enjoyed it greatly. I have also read some superman comics (red son, all star I think?) Sadly the library here doesnt have too many comic books so I read what was available.

The graphic novel I have enjoyed most was Preacher, and then Lucifer. Hopefully next month is when I can read Sandman (local book shop is supposed to get the issues they dont have currently next month), heard great things about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom