• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I hate Harleys new 52 costume with a passion.

Yup, especially when her traditional outfit is fucking perfect and a work of art:
Harley-quinn-female-villians-2439836-259-337.jpg

Hey GAF,

My girlfriend is wanting to get into comics and in particular, Batman. I know nothing about them so I can't really help her out, but with such a huge history, stories, characters etc in the Batman universe, where is a good starting place for her, that doesn't require any real prior knowledge and won't immediately overwhelm her 1 page in?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Hey GAF,

My girlfriend is wanting to get into comics and in particular, Batman. I know nothing about them so I can't really help her out, but with such a huge history, stories, characters etc in the Batman universe, where is a good starting place for her, that doesn't require any real prior knowledge and won't immediately overwhelm her 1 page in?

Classic stories:
Batman_Year_One.jpg

Modern stories:

bryanee

Hey GAF,

The start of new 52 Bats is a good place to start

Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls, then go to the next two available volumes.

Batman Volume 2: The City of Owls
Batman Volume 3: Death of the Family

SRG01

So, are Superior and Amazing going to be printed at the same time? Or is Superior going to be replaced by Amazing in April? I'm so confused.

Also, how are they going to resolve all the plot points by April?

Nesotenso

Marcos Martin's cover for Amazing Spider-man #1 is great. Wish we didn't have Ramos on the title. A different writer would have been great as well.

So, are Superior and Amazing going to be printed at the same time? Or is Superior going to be replaced by Amazing in April? I'm so confused.

Also, how are they going to resolve all the plot points by April?

Rumour is that there will be a new Superior book, written by either Matt Fraction or Peter David. I get the feeling this will depend on who the Superior Spider-Man actually is.

Rumour is that there will be a new Superior book, written by either Matt Fraction or Peter David. I get the feeling this will depend on who the Superior Spider-Man actually is.

I'm telling you guys!

Superior Spiderman = Spock personality
Amazing Spiderman = Peter's personality

But they share the same body
So much potential!

Omega

Banned
wish I would have known about comic binding before

I just never wanted to have them in a box which is why I waited for trades..but Marvel and DC take eons. Image isn't that bad but still

Owzers

So..is it the blue/orange thing that is making people like the spidey cover? That's big on the gaming box art side too.

Hey GAF,

Amongst the other great advice you've been given I'd like to recommend "Legends of the Dark Knight".

It's a series of non-continuity Batman stories. No real prior knowledge is needed outside of the basics. It was released monthly for about a year and is now released quarterly. The most recent is basically a trade in size (100+ pages) and price ($7.99)

Kind of worried about seeing Colin Lorimer at the con today. Yesterday I read his collection, UXB, which I bought from him at the last con a few months ago.He told me he poured his whole heart and soul into that book- wrote, drew, coloured, lettered it, etc. And I just didn't really like it. It wasn't bad and it does contain some cool ideas. But I found it dreary, and couldn't buy the twist near the end. I'll just try to be kind without lying.
I hate lying.

It's not a big deal or anything but it's a good reminder that this is people's life work we are casually judging and dismissing daily.

I don't think that a book being a work of passion makes it free of criticism. The important part to remember is that you can be constructive in it.

Sanjuro

Making another attempt to get back into comics.

For Batman, I last read Death of the Family, and then the issue after where Damien croaked.

Could someone give me the issues after that point where I should pick things back up again? I'm not a fan of getting all the side series. Mainly stay in the Batman/Detective/B&R series, unless there is a big event going. Thanks.

Amongst the other great advice you've been given I'd like to recommend "Legends of the Dark Knight".

It's a series of non-continuity Batman stories. No real prior knowledge is needed outside of the basics. It was released monthly for about a year and is now released quarterly. The most recent is basically a trade in size (100+ pages) and price ($7.99)

Cool, didn't realise Lindelof wrote any Batman. Will pass this onto her as well.

Making another attempt to get back into comics.

For Batman, I last read Death of the Family, and then the issue after where Damien croaked.

Could someone give me the issues after that point where I should pick things back up again? I'm not a fan of getting all the side series. Mainly stay in the Batman/Detective/B&R series, unless there is a big event going. Thanks.

Batman #18 forward and Batman and Robin #18 forward would get you back right after the Death of Damien and the fallout. Batman has a small arc before going into a story in the past (which is really good) while Batman and [Various Characters] is a study in Batman trying to deal with the death in his own way.

Sanjuro

Batman #18 forward and Batman and Robin #18 forward would get you back right after the Death of Damien and the fallout. Batman has a small arc before going into a story in the past (which is really good) while Batman and [Various Characters] is a study in Batman trying to deal with the death in his own way.

Awesome thanks.

Nah Superior is going to be Miguel. Watch.

And yes give it to Fraction or PAD. Unsure of which.

But a hipster future guy living in the primitive past penned by Fraction sounds like fun.

I don't believe this because it's too good to be true.

April Solicits will be:

Superior Spider-Man #31 (Final Issue)
Amazing Spider-Man #1

When I got Harley #1 I got the original cover. That variant was $25 and was not going to pay that much for one floppy. Went to get my pull the following week it was still there and talked him into $15 for it. Now I own both.

Messi

When I got Harley #1 I got the original cover. That variant was $25 and was not going to pay that much for one floppy. Went to get my pull the following week it was still there and talked him into $15 for it. Now I own both.

I paid €2 more than cover price :p

Random question, are there any traditional or classic fantasy comics or graphic novels that are worth reading? Anything ranging from D&D to Tolkien to Conan. I know sci-fi is well represented but I love a good sword and sorcery setting.

kmfdmpig

Random question, are there any traditional or classic fantasy comics or graphic novels that are worth reading? Anything ranging from D&D to Tolkien to Conan. I know sci-fi is well represented but I love a good sword and sorcery setting.

Demon's Knights was short-lived, but fun.
Warlord had some good runs.
Fables
Conan, Red Sonja are both famous
I liked Soujourn many years ago, but I'm not sure how well it has held up.
Elfquest is a famous one (I've never read it though)
Nausica is a great manga if you like Miyazaki's work

A question for all the comics fans in this thread: I really like non-superhero series like 100 Bullets, Fables, Walking Dead, etc. because they have at least a consistent linear progression towards an eventual ending and hopefully some good character arcs within. Obviously the vast majority of superhero comics don't not follow this. They may have an internally linear arc but then get rebooted or what have you.

SO: Are there any superhero comics with similar structure to the above? Like say 100 issues of Spiderman/X-Men/Green Lantern/Batman with a consistent narrative arc that begins and ends? Meaning from Origin to death/retirement/last battle, whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom