• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
No really? Thanks for the art 101.

Thats not what I meant. I meant specifics. It looks like a badly drawn Spiderman looking at a stock photo of NYC with a blue shift tint, and a yellow/green gradient. If that's enough to become "one of the finest covers in comics history" (hyperbole not mine) well... uh... There must be millions of contenders for that honor.

Dude, people with badly drawn avatars shouldn't throw stones :p

Random question, are there any traditional or classic fantasy comics or graphic novels that are worth reading? Anything ranging from D&D to Tolkien to Conan. I know sci-fi is well represented but I love a good sword and sorcery setting.

RAT QUEENS
Skullkickers is really funny and captures the style of a fantasy game well.
IDW's Dungeons & Dragons series (three trades: Shadowplague, First Encouters and Down). I enjoyed the Eberron issues of Infestation II and the Annual that came from it.
Pathfinder ongoing is quite good.
Red Sonja can be a mixed bag, however the current series by Gail Simone is wonderful.
Brian Wood's Conan run is meant to be very good.
RAT QUEENS (so good, I listed it twice)

A question for all the comics fans in this thread: I really like non-superhero series like 100 Bullets, Fables, Walking Dead, etc. because they have at least a consistent linear progression towards an eventual ending and hopefully some good character arcs within. Obviously the vast majority of superhero comics don't not follow this. They may have an internally linear arc but then get rebooted or what have you.

SO: Are there any superhero comics with similar structure to the above? Like say 100 issues of Spiderman/X-Men/Green Lantern/Batman with a consistent narrative arc that begins and ends? Meaning from Origin to death/retirement/last battle, whatever?

Would definitely recommend both of these:

Geoff Johns run of Green Lantern, from Rebirth to issue #20 of the current run

You want to read Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1 and Ultimate Comic: Spider-Man Volume 1.

It includes the complete Superhero career of Peter Parker in the Ultimate Universe. And its about 150 Issues, when I remember correctly.

Invincible is a great shout. It is 100+ issues though, with no end in sight. I have the two Compendiums and they're good value of money, 48 issues + extra features each.

Grant Morrison's JLA (covers the team's formation and expansion while taking on all manner of villains) or his Batman (has the arc of Damian Wayne, Batman's son at the heart of it) would both be good too.

Anyone know where I can find that X-Men meme page with Cyke's powers going crazy and "JEEAAANNNNNNNNN"?

4wVdMRI.jpg

Messi

It feels like Hawkeye has been gone for so long. Delays are killing the flow completely. I just want more Kate adventures in her own book. :(

My favorite edit is still the Daredevil one

j55bBIqCD44H0.jpg

not to mention with DD's powers, the sound of that machine gun that close must be absolutely deafening.

gotta love those bullet cases literally just the same barrel copied and pasted to various sizes

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

j55bBIqCD44H0.jpg

not to mention with DD's powers, the sound of that machine gun that close must be absolutely deafening.

gotta love those bullet cases literally just the same barrel copied and pasted to various sizes

This makes me laugh literally every time I see it. The I'M SORRY! Is just too much to bear. He's so confused and upset!

Toa TAK

Banned

j55bBIqCD44H0.jpg

This is great. The "I'm sorry!" is the icing on the cake.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rich Johnston says Dan Jurjens may be writing and drawing Aquaman and The Others. Faaaacckkiiing buuullllshheeeeeettt.

Brett Booth is suggesting this shouldn't be believed. Which probably suggests Booth might be doing covers or interior art for it. There's still hope for John Ostrander!

Messi

Where do you folks read most of your comics? I have big trouble getting the right light in the evening to read comics so I end up reading everything in bed where I have an extending lamp that I can move to the right place. It sucks that I can't sit on my couch at night and read. Damn dark rooms

tim1138

Brett Booth is suggesting this shouldn't be believed. Which probably suggests Booth might be doing covers or interior art for it. There's still hope for John Ostrander!

I saw Ed Tadeo's name mentioned a couple times as the potential artist for this. Jurgens writing and drawing makes no sense since he's also doing both on Futures End.

arkon

My list for this week:

Adventure Time #24
Daredevil #35
Egos #1
Imagine Agents #4
Prophet #42
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #25
X-Men Legacy #22

Also thinking of trying out Secret Avengers now that Ales Kot is onboard.

New Preview: Outcast #1 Robert Kirkman and Paul Azaceta's new Image book. The preview is messed up, though. The first page of the preview is meant to be the last. Not that it makes a huge difference, tbh.

Hmmm. That looks.. intense. The choice to deal with the subject matter of
child abuse
in a mainstream comic is an interesting one. Such a dark, delicate, serious subject. How to give it the respect it deserves while balancing all the other elements that make a good comic book story?

In other news, I bought the first volume of Rachel Rising on Comixology. Read the first two issues last night and all I've though about since waking up today is reading the rest. The first (and second) volumes are only $10 on Comixology and I heartily recommend you all check them out. Volume 1 is 6 issues which is a real steal for $10 considering the individual (print) issues go for $4 (digitally the earlier issues are $2, I think?).

Anyone else here reading Rachel Rising? Two issues in I am SO INTRIGUED. How great are Terry Moore's characters?
Pretty great.

Owzers

Where do you folks read most of your comics? I have big trouble getting the right light in the evening to read comics so I end up reading everything in bed where I have an extending lamp that I can move to the right place. It sucks that I can't sit on my couch at night and read. Damn dark rooms

Not the bathroom.

Usually in a chair or couch while watching nba/nfl games. So many commercials in football.

Anywhere, as stated before, I wear a headlamp when I read. It's perfect.

Zebralight H502 AA Flood Headlamp
http://amzn.com/B0087T6CAI

Usually the couch any time of day. I have a soft box which is a lighting device used to shoot professional photos and video. It's bright as fuck. We bought it for filming stuff but have it situated to light the living room, too, since our living room is quite dark otherwise. The soft box can make my eyes sore, though, if I read by it a lot. Natural lighting is ideal for print comics. When I read digitally, of course, no bright light is necessary.

tim1138

Mostly on the bus going to and from work, but pretty much anywhere in the house. Yet another digital advantage!

ReiGun

In bed, usually. My lamp and room light are super bright and the sun freaking beams into my window (it's shining right in my face as I type this), so I'm never wanting for light.

New Preview: Outcast #1 Robert Kirkman and Paul Azaceta's new Image book. The preview is messed up, though. The first page of the preview is meant to be the last. Not that it makes a huge difference, tbh.

child abuse
in a mainstream comic is an interesting one. Such a dark, delicate, serious subject. How to give it the respect it deserves while balancing all the other elements that make a good comic book story?

In other news, I bought the first volume of Rachel Rising on Comixology. Read the first two issues last night and all I've though about since waking up today is reading the rest. The first (and second) volumes are only $10 on Comixology and I heartily recommend you all check them out. Volume 1 is 6 issues which is a real steal for $10 considering the individual (print) issues go for $4 (digitally the earlier issues are $2, I think?).

Anyone else here reading Rachel Rising? Two issues in I am SO INTRIGUED. How great are Tony Moore's characters?
Pretty great.

Not really interested in anymore never ending circular kirkman books.

Glad someone else is reading Rachel Rising! That book deserves it. And its Terry Moore!!!!

Uh, pretty much anywhere around the house, I can't really say this is much of an issue for me haha. This being the west coast of Scotland, where we barely ever have any sun, maybe my eyes are just permanently accustomed to "dim and grey" be it day or night haha.

Layman wrote the third tec trade that just came out Tiz. I haven't read any of it so I can't speak to the quality.

Tizoc

Uh, pretty much anywhere around the house, I can't really say this is much of an issue for me haha. This being the west coast of Scotland, where we barely ever have any sun, maybe my eyes are just permanently accustomed to "dim and grey" be it day or night haha.

Layman wrote the volume the third tec trade that just came out Tiz. I haven't read any of it so I can't speak to the quality.

Will look into it, thanks. Also I'll post about Hellboy by tomorrow, freakin' work shift got in the way of my catch up and writing about the volumes XoX

SRG01

So, can anyone fill me in on what happened to Loki post-Siege? I'm having a bit of trouble following and Google has been terrible at filling in the gaps. I want to get caught up before Loki #1 hits the shelves...

So, can anyone fill me in on what happened to Loki post-Siege? I'm having a bit of trouble following and Google has been terrible at filling in the gaps. I want to get caught up before Loki #1 hits the shelves...

Have you tried Wiki? Seems concise enough.

On the bus to and from college, in the lecture halls before class (I'm usually there by 8 AM, class is 9:15) and in bed at night, alternating with word books.

Just finished Batman: Hush a few minutes ago.

Dat art was so damn good. And as much as some people criticize the storyline, I thought it was fun. It wasn't anything amazing or anything but it had a lot of fun in it.

vocab

Anyone else here reading Rachel Rising? Two issues in I am SO INTRIGUED. How great are Terry Moore's characters?
Pretty great.

Is Rachel Rising digital only or both physical and digital? I remember reading a terry moore post about how fans couldn't find his books, and he was worried that people wouldn't be able to read his stuff so he went digital. It wasn't clarified if he was doing both or just digital.

Is Rachel Rising digital only or both physical and digital? I remember reading a terry moore post about how fans couldn't find his books, and he was worried that people wouldn't be able to read his stuff so he went digital. It wasn't clarified if he was doing both or just digital.

Both digital and print.

Slott's suckiness will be even more apparent now that Amazing won't be double shipping. So many Marbel writers use that as a crutch.

wait really? I'd love if it isn't double ship

Pretty great.

Yea! love Terry Moore

it's both

Acid08

Banned

child abuse

Pretty great.
Huh, interesting. Child abuse is a subject that's pretty near and dear to me so I'll give this book a shot.

In order of frequency:

01. On the toilet (YES)
02. At my desk
03. In my bed
04. On the patio
05. In the car (parked, before anyone asks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom