• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeaykay

Hi all! I was given the Graphic Novel The Encyclopedia of Early Earth as a gift for Christmas as everyone knows I now love comic books. I was surprised as I had never heard of it before, and I think it's flown under the radar. I wrote a review of it on my new fangled website, comicbooklit.com

It's essentially a collection of short stories loosely tied to one man's journey of Enlightenment and finding True Love. It's told through a storyteller, so it's filled with simple and charismatic stories of giants and magic and deception and all that good stuff. If you're looking for something a little simpler but still has some great art and writing, check it out!

Owzers

A question for all the comics fans in this thread: I really like non-superhero series like 100 Bullets, Fables, Walking Dead, etc. because they have at least a consistent linear progression towards an eventual ending and hopefully some good character arcs within. Obviously the vast majority of superhero comics don't not follow this. They may have an internally linear arc but then get rebooted or what have you.

SO: Are there any superhero comics with similar structure to the above? Like say 100 issues of Spiderman/X-Men/Green Lantern/Batman with a consistent narrative arc that begins and ends? Meaning from Origin to death/retirement/last battle, whatever?

Have you tried Invincible? It's a cape book but set in it's own world from Image.

It would be easier/better to just read a creator's run on a book, most DC/Marvel stuff takes an established character and runs with it, with a beginning/middle/end to their story, but not the character. Other than that you'd have to go to the very beginning of a character. I'd recommend trying out Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist Ultimate Collection containing all 16ish of his issues in one nice volume. There was room for the next writer to continue the character, but it was a complete story.

sol_bad

SO: Are there any superhero comics with similar structure to the above? Like say 100 issues of Spiderman/X-Men/Green Lantern/Batman with a consistent narrative arc that begins and ends? Meaning from Origin to death/retirement/last battle, whatever?

There would literally be hundreds of story arcs that have a beginning and an end, not all of them good obviously. Each comic book is essentially a story arc after story arc, whether it's 5 issues or 35 issues.
In terms of an actual "origin" to "retirement" arc there won't be many super hero books like this, we could recommend certain arcs that have a start and an end and they may contain mild links to other stories outside of that arc but they won't matter to that specific arc. An example of this would be Deadpools recent arc titled "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" which went for 5 issues.
I have only been reading comics for 2 and a half years but I feel that that arc would be safe to read on it's own. I enjoyed it a lot and the consensus on here is that it's one of the best Deadpool stories ever told.

You could even read the yearly event from Marvel or DC as a collection. Things like the Fear Itself, Avengers VS X-Men, Infinity, Forever Evil and Age of Ultron events. I'm not saying all these events are good, they are just examples and they generally have a start and an end.
Again there might be some slight relations to other things in the universe but as a whole won't matter to the main event.

Something that is always recommended and I agree with is the first volume of Uncanny X-Force written by Rick Remender. Definitely hunt that down and read it, let us know what you think.
I personally feel the current Superior Spider-Man run will be worth of reading once it's released as a complete edition.

ReiGun

My vote for the worst part of the New 52 is Renee Montoya's death/disappearance.

She's in the space between spaces along with Wally West and Donna Troy and many others. Where everything is happy and no one dies or has their origin changed and everyone has a nice little house to themselves. :D

:(

There would literally be hundreds of story arcs that have a beginning and an end, not all of them good obviously. Each comic book is essentially a story arc after story arc, whether it's 5 issues or 35 issues.
In terms of an actual "origin" to "retirement" arc there won't be many super hero books like this, we could recommend certain arcs that have a start and an end and they may contain mild links to other stories outside of that arc but they won't matter to that specific arc. An example of this would be Deadpools recent arc titled "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" which went for 5 issues.
I have only been reading comics for 2 and a half years but I feel that that arc would be safe to read on it's own. I enjoyed it a lot and the consensus on here is that it's one of the best Deadpool stories ever told.

You could even read the yearly event from Marvel or DC as a collection. Things like the Fear Itself, Avengers VS X-Men, Infinity, Forever Evil and Age of Ultron events. I'm not saying all these events are good, they are just examples and they generally have a start and an end.
Again there might be some slight relations to other things in the universe but as a whole won't matter to the main event.

Something that is always recommended and I agree with is the first volume of Uncanny X-Force written by Rick Remender. Definitely hunt that down and read it, let us know what you think.
I personally feel the current Superior Spider-Man run will be worth of reading once it's released as a complete edition.

I will definitely check out those arcs, thanks. I've always been really interested in Deadpool also. And I forgot to mention Invincible is one I tried briefly years ago and plan to get back to soon.

Seems overall I just really appreciate clarity of vision due to there being one writer/creator on those other books I mentioned. Obviously that's harder to do with such long running established characters.

Vibranium

Banned
I dig Harley's new roller derby look. Only recent look outside of the original I'm cool with.

That's fucking horrific, I'm sorry, I don't know how anyone can defend this shit (I refuse to buy the series anyways). Harley should not have white skin, she should be blonde and wear her proper costume.

Also, they actually got rid of Deathstroke's mustache??? What the hell DiDio? At least Gordon is untouchable because he's so awesome.

XAL

I am a crazy man who went balls deep and dropped 400 bucks on all manner of things Fables.

Will I regret my decision?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I am a crazy man who went balls deep and dropped 400 bucks on all manner of things Fables.

Could never get into it personally but hope you will. Did you buy the hardcovers? At least they look pretty awesome.

The first 11 volumes of the regular book are widely loved. After that the main book is divisive (I personally still enjoy it) . 1001 nights of snowfall, I also liked. Volume 1 of fairest was just ok. Haven't tried most other spinoffs.

But.

If a meaningful portion of that money was spent on jack of fables, I am so sorry.

i do suppose that the disappearance of a female lesbian character in an environment where that's already rare is bad, but... mustache

Well, what you didn't know is that Renee Montoya had a mustache, too. She just bleached it between panels. Maybe if they bring her back, they will draw it in again to replace the mustache you lost.

Mustaches are so cool. There should be way more mustaches and beards in comics.

Anyway, Montoya was gay and female but also Latina and fucking so cool! Man, when she beat down Jimmy Corrigan! The best! DC... Buncha jerks.

XAL

I haven't read a single issue of Fables, but I respect this.

The sheer brazenness of it. lol

haha thanks

Could never get into it personally but hope you will. Did you buy the hardcovers? At least they look pretty awesome.

paperback trades...all of them

The first 11 volumes of the regular book are widely loved. After that the main book is divisive (I personally still enjoy it) . 1001 nights of snowfall, I also liked. Volume 1 of fairest was just ok. Haven't tried most other spinoffs.

But.

If a meaningful portion of that money was spent on jack of fables, I am so sorry.

Thanks this is reassuring.

Why are jack of fables so bad?
(if they're completely irrelevant/terrible I can return them for a refund)

Well, what you didn't know is that Renee Montoya had a mustache, too. She just bleached it between panels. Maybe if they bring her back, they will draw it in again to replace the mustache you lost.

Mustaches are so cool. There should be way more mustaches and beards in comics.

Anyway, Montoya was gay and female but also Latina and fucking so cool! Man, when she beat down Jimmy Corrigan! The best! DC... Buncha jerks.

They brought in Bunker for Teen Titans and were like "well we hit our quota on hispanic gay characters" so they shelved Renee. I mean, I don't know, but that's probably it

but if they bring her back with a mustache, that might forgive the adam glass run of suicide squad entirely

haha thanks

I think Fables is fantastic. I personally think it hits its stride after the first 50(although they are still quality before this) and just keeps getting better.

Jack of Fables is much more minor, however there is a crossover with Vol 13 if you care(all of the issues are in Fables collection). There's also a few scattered stories early on that are good within it that feature character returns from earlier Fables. But overall its only worth it if you are a completionist IMO.

Fairest is much better, has some pretty key crossover the much later Fables stories, and the latest Fairest In All the Land GN is pretty fantastic(only read if you are 100% through Fables though).

This is a good link that explains the order quite well, only thing I would add is definitely don't read the standalone GN's until the chronological point in time they were released.

http://myreadingbooks.blogspot.ca/2013/11/so-you-want-to-read-fables-updated.html

I liked Fables a lot up through maybe volume 5? Then I didn't really like it much again until volume 14. Guess I just didn't like it when
the adversary storyline
became the main focus. I like 14 and 15 quite a lot though, and I like volume 1 of Jack.

A question for all the comics fans in this thread: I really like non-superhero series like 100 Bullets, Fables, Walking Dead, etc. because they have at least a consistent linear progression towards an eventual ending and hopefully some good character arcs within. Obviously the vast majority of superhero comics don't not follow this. They may have an internally linear arc but then get rebooted or what have you.

Geoff Johns run of Green Lantern, from Rebirth to issue #20 of the current run is probably one of the better "complete" packages. It's like nine years of material and you'd have to sidestep into some other Lantern titles during crossovers but, while I personally am enjoying the continuation of the Lantern storylines, you could end at New 52 #20 and be satisfied.

Valravn

Got an iPad air, and catched up to Saga and Walking Dead. Saga is sooo good.

Is it worth it getting subscriptions for Comixology? Any discounts?

Blink Me

Anyone ever read XIII. I got the game on the PS2 years ago and recently bought the first four books. Its good but quite different to how the game did the story. Also in regards to Fables that's one of my favourite series. I think it was a brilliant idea to do a huge crossover like that. If you like that check out the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as well which is another crossover with public domain characters. The film sucked but the comics are awesome. Also anyone read Legendary by Bill Willingham yet?

Geoff Johns run of Green Lantern, from Rebirth to issue #20 of the current run is probably one of the better "complete" packages. It's like nine years of material and you'd have to sidestep into some other Lantern titles during crossovers but, while I personally am enjoying the continuation of the Lantern storylines, you could end at New 52 #20 and be satisfied.
Yeah, that's the first that came to my mind as well, though one could argue it got a bit sidetracked at points (BN underdelivered and that new green lantern felt a bit useless in the grand scheme of things).

Alternatives would be short self-contained stuff like All Star Superman or Seven Soldiers of Victory. Hell, I was going to throw in Morrison's Batman run in there as well but you'd need a reading order for that. Still, it has an ending that ties all the plot points that were built up over the years, since the very beginning of that run.

Other stuff to consider, that has a clearly defined beginning and ending and won't lose a reader too much as long as they start at the beginning:
- Hickman's FF run. Secret Warriors might work but you'd need to read Secret Invasion tie-ins (which are included in the omnibus)
- Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is pretty self-contained.
- Remender's Uncanny X-Force.
- Also, while it's more sci-fi than superheroes, Planetary works very well.

The good news is that all of these have complete collected editions.

Got an iPad air, and catched up to Saga and Walking Dead. Saga is sooo good.

Is it worth it getting subscriptions for Comixology? Any discounts?
Comixology has grown like an addiction here since I got an iPad 18 months ago.
I'd recommend checking their sales for double-dipping / trying new stuff purposes. New releases are a bit expensive, particularly for the Marvel stuff that offers a physical copy + a digital copy for the same price as the digital copy. I haven't tried their subscriptions though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

You want to read Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1 and Ultimate Comic: Spider-Man Volume 1.

It includes the complete Superhero career of Peter Parker in the Ultimate Universe. And its about 150 Issues, when I remember correctly.

MY LIST:

-AMAXING X-MEN #3

-BLACK BEETLE #1 :)))))))

-COFFIN HILL #4

-MAXX MAXXIMIZED #3

-MARVEL KNIGHTS: HULK #2

-RAT QUEENS #4

-ROVER RED CHARLIE #2 (you guys should check this one out,, pretty cool,, different)

-SUPERIOR SPIDEY #25

-VELVET #3

Demon's Knights was short-lived, but fun.
Warlord had some good runs.
Fables
Conan, Red Sonja are both famous
I liked Soujourn many years ago, but I'm not sure how well it has held up.
Elfquest is a famous one (I've never read it though)
Nausica is a great manga if you like Miyazaki's work

I'll check these out, thanks!

Kinyou

I liked Fables a lot up through maybe volume 5? Then I didn't really like it much again until volume 14. Guess I just didn't like it when
the adversary storyline
became the main focus. I like 14 and 15 quite a lot though, and I like volume 1 of Jack.
Yeah, it's starting to pick up again
( I actually enjoy it more when the story focuses on Snow & Bigby )

Yeah, it's starting to pick up again
( I actually enjoy it more when the story focuses on Snow & Bigby )

Pretty much this man, I think basically the volumes that concern just the random happenings of fabletown, the farm, specifically what you mentioned, that's the heart for me. I have 16, 17 and 18 sitting here to read, need to get caught up sometime soon.

I'll check these out, thanks!

Did someone say Mouse Guard yet. Because that's your definitive answer there my man. The Sixth Gun is good western fantasy.

I don't get it. It's kind of a plain/boring cover. The Cityscape art style completely clashes with the Spiderman art stye. It's almost like it's a stock photo or two different people drew it. And then the "sky" is ???

A cover is not just lines on a page. It's the design elements, the layout, the typography, the color choice.

It's one of the finest covers in comics history, for all those reasons combined.

tim1138

Bleeding Cool is saying that Dan Jurgens is attached to the Aquaman and the Others book. That would make perfect DC sense since John Ostrander wrote two great Others oriented issues last year.

That ASM cover is neat, but good lord it's not one of the greatest of all time.

haha thanks

Well that was partially me being melodramatic. I truthfully have not read most of them. I'm mostly basing it off of how the fables crossover volume was my least favorite volume of fables. I've loaned out my copies of fables to tons of people and everybody who reads that volume winds up advising all future readers to skip it, though not everyone listens.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Spider-man has had some incredible covers before:
4hjHAFf.jpg

But I think that new cover is absolutely gorgeous, especially for a Big-Two cover.

A cover is not just lines on a page. It's the design elements, the layout, the typography, the color choice.

It's one of the finest covers in comics history, for all those reasons combined.

No really? Thanks for the art 101.

Thats not what I meant. I meant specifics. It looks like a badly drawn Spiderman looking at a stock photo of NYC with a blue shift tint, and a yellow/green gradient. If that's enough to become "one of the finest covers in comics history" (hyperbole not mine) well... uh... There must be millions of contenders for that honor.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Abnet and Lanning's Guardian of the Galaxy run is one. The current IDW Transformer books are another.

Man how good is East of West? I love it. I know everyone gushes over Manhattan Projects but Hickman's other stuff is great too.

I think you'll find everyone already in agreement of that, plenty of East Of West lovein here as well as TMP. If you go back through the thread you'll see I said myself that I prefer EoW to TMP, first trade is phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom