• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

I think I am in love with deluxe hardcovers. I got the last two hardcovers of Y the last man and this is the way it was meant to be read. They look so classy and clean. I think I'll try track down the Fables HCs.

Oh and the Locke and key HC is great looking too. Excited to finally start reading that.
I bought the locke and key paperbacks like an idiot.

it's comics-criminal that Young Avengers' entire run involves Mother. reading through issue 14 now, it's enjoyableish.
Yep, just completely awful and the most disappointing comic of the past thirteen years. Why did they think this plot was a good idea? Ahy were all of the Young Avengers devoid of personality? Why did everyone always have their mouth open?

James Tynion yesterday posted a Nightwing statue and today he puts on Twitter, "where those solicits at". I have a feeling he is taking over Dick Grayson.

Man, Lazarus, Velvet, Pretty Deadly & TMP trades in April. Good times. And Southern Bastards finally begins.

James Tynion yesterday posted a Nightwing statue and today he puts on Twitter, "where those solicits at". I have a feeling he is taking over Dick Grayson.

That was definitely what Bleeding Cool said awhile back. The question though, will Dick still be in that book and it'll be him as Nightwing post FE, or will we have a different Nightwing and Dick in a new role in it, or Dick in a new role in a different new book? So many possibilities man, wish they'd hurry up.

Could be that broad with that rocket launcher thing could be Nightwing and Dick could get a new moniker like the Flying Dick.

Why no number on the Three trade? Sit better not be once arc, book is so schway.

Imma be pretty pissed if Amazon does not deliver my Ex Machina and Vinland Saga today. Shit was preordered and has been in shipping now status for days. Bitch Planet.

Messi

I bought the locke and key paperbacks like an idiot.

I had to pay double for the Hardback vs paperback. I was so tempted to get the paper back but so glad I got the Hardback now.

Yep, just completely awful and the most disappointing comic of the past thirteen years. Why did they think this plot was a good idea? Ahy were all of the Young Avengers devoid of personality? Why did everyone always have their mouth open?

So you like it less than Pretty Deadly?

I had to pay double for the Hardback vs paperback. I was so tempted to get the paper back but so glad I got the Hardback now.

Really man? The original reason I went with the HCs over the paperbacks for L&K is that they are all really close to being the exact same price on amazon, it's like a £2 difference between the paperback and hardback. Is this a euros thing? That sucks if so. I wouldn't have been willing to pay premium but they were actually the same price when I bought up my HCs, it's only recently on uk amazon the £2 gap cropped up. Example A: Click

Messi

Really man? The original reason I went with the HCs over the paperbacks for L&K is that they are all really close to being the exact same price on amazon, it's like a £2 difference between the paperback and hardback. Is this a euros thing? That sucks if so. I wouldn't have been willing to pay premium but they were actually the same price when I bought up my HCs, it's only recently on uk amazon the £2 gap cropped up. Example A: Click

Yeah where I bought it the paperback was 9.99 and the hardcover was 19.99. Got ripped off it seems. Damn.

I think I will buy the first hellboy library edition.

How are the various Walking Dead hardcovers? I see there is a pricey one that is fairly big.

Yeah where I bought it the paperback was 9.99 and the hardcover was 19.99. Got ripped off it seems. Damn.

I think I will buy the first hellboy library edition.

How are the various Walking Dead hardcovers? I see there is a pricey one that is fairly big.

The walking dead HCs are really nice. Oversized and nice printed covers, no dustcover. I got rid of mine since I'd read the first few to death and wasn't much interested in the newer stuff, but the book's themselves are great. Would love to have those Hellboy Library editions :(

Messi

The walking dead HCs are really nice. Oversized and nice printed covers, no dustcover. I got rid of mine since I'd read the first few to death and wasn't much interested in the newer stuff, but the book's themselves are great. Would love to have those Hellboy Library editions :(

You mean the regular HCs not the omnibuses?

Cheska

Imma be pretty pissed if Amazon does not deliver my Ex Machina and Vinland Saga today. Shit was preordered and has been in shipping now status for days. Bitch Planet.

I've had a horrible time with packages in the past two months or so. Lost packages, significantly delayed deliveries. USPS is just going down the shit hole lately.

You mmean the regular HCs not the omnibuses?

Theeee 12 issue ones. Sorry, I forgot there's like regular trades, then Hardcovers, then hardcovers that collect 24 issues, then omnibuses haha. I mean these ones, that collect a year at a time:

1543355-walkingdead.jpeg

I've never saw the 24 issue ones in person. The omnibus, I had the invincible counterpart, and I wouldn't really recommend that method of reading them to anyone, unless the price is really attractive. Books that large should not be softcover haha it makes for an uncomfortable reading experience. I really liked the 12 issue HC's though.

I've had a horrible time with packages in the past two months or so. Lost packages, significantly delayed deliveries. USPS is just going down the shit hole lately.
They lettin me down hard brah. Vinland Saga volume one was taken off the site last year after I preordered, which is unheard of. Shootin yhese brahs an email now.

Theeee 12 issue ones. Sorry, I forgot there's like regular trades, then Hardcovers, then hardcovers that collect 24 issues, then omnibuses haha. I mean these ones, that collect a year at a time:

I've never saw the 24 issue ones in person. The omnibus, I had the invincible counterpart, and I wouldn't really recommend that method of reading them to anyone, unless the price is really attractive. Books that large should not be softcover haha it makes for an uncomfortable reading experience. I really liked the 12 issue HC's though.

I got "Book One" for X-mas,, man its beautiful. Love that the pages are oversized and some awesome art/covers in the back of the book also..

..Now i must own them all. lol (Instocktrades.com = $17-$19 instead of $35 !)

Messi

So I found this on Google while looking for images of the walking dead HCs. I can't figure out what the batgirl book is. But I want it. Any idea what book it is?

Also how many pages should Batgirl year one be? Amazon says 30 for £20 which sounds crazy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to reading Age of Ultron. So short. I guess I'm just conditioned to massive universe-changing event books to be the size of say, Crisis on Infinite Earths :p It was okay though. Just okay.

Trying to work up the nerve to get back on the Sandman horse. I stopped right after the Dollhouse arc, it was so heavy, I had to step back.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So I found this on Google while looking for images of the walking dead HCs. I can't figure out what the batgirl book is. But I want it. Any idea what book it is?

99% sure it's this. The spine looks like it says Showcase Presents, which is a series of black and white reprints.

I'm trying not to take significance from Hinterkind not being there, perhaps it's a gap month. Given the reviews though, I wonder if it's been cut. Had hoped that one would take off, sounded like something my girlfriend would dig, and with Fables all coming to an end relatively soon, I'm watching out for new books for her. With Damien gone from B&R, both her Fables books ending, possibly something drastic happening with Nightwing and Batwoman with a different creative team, I could see her dropping off all those. I like that she shares the hobby haha so I need to find some replacement books.

5pm EST is....about 2hrs, 20 mins away, have I got that right?

I'm trying not to take significance from Hinterkind not being there, perhaps it's a gap month. Given the reviews though, I wonder if it's been cut. Had hoped that one would take off, sounded like something my girlfriend would dig, and with Fables all coming to an end relatively soon, I'm watching out for new books for her. With Damien gone from B&R, both her Fables books ending, possibly something drastic happening with Nightwing and Batwoman with a different creative team, I could see her dropping off all those. I like that she shares the hobby haha so I need to find some replacement books.

She will like Umbral which would fill the Fantasy void. And yes, 2 hours and some change away from 5 est.

She will like Umbral which would fill the Fantasy void. And yes, 2 hours and some change away from 5 est.

That's a good shout actually man. I had planned on grabbing that anyway, big fan of wasteland, but yea, sometimes me liking a book makes me fail to see that she might like it, and Umbral might be a really good one. I had thought about Pretty Deadly, but some of the reviews have mentioned the narrative delivery can be quite purposefully confusing and trying at times. I'm not sure she'd have the patience for that if that's the case, even if it pays off and makes sense. The other I'd considered was Sex Criminals, I think that might shock her a little but Messi said it wasn't crude or anything and after she got over the concept, I thought she might really like it. Umbral is good though! Coffin Hill was another maybe? I don't know though.

If She were to drop those I mentioned, she'd be left with Wonder Woman and AmVamp, that's a kind of overview of all the stuff she loves. Those two are her very favourites though, and they're both still going strong at least.

FBP was absent as well for a douple of months. You cant base what you sell on comic reviewers. They are all awful or too self important like David Brothers.

Vibranium

Banned
Well I guess I'm going to watch the next Avengers animated movie for Punisher and Black Widow, despite the stink of Old Man Loeb.

When is Marvel going to hurry up and announce Wacker's new job at Animation? They need him in there as soon as possible, I don't care what anyone says, there is still hope in The Wack.

That's a good shout actually man. I had planned on grabbing that anyway, big fan of wasteland, but yea, sometimes me liking a book makes me fail to see that she might like it, and Umbral might be a really good one. I had thought about Pretty Deadly, but some of the reviews have mentioned the narrative delivery can be quite purposefully confusing and trying at times. I'm not sure she'd have the patience for that if that's the case, even if it pays off and makes sense. The other I'd considered was Sex Criminals, I think that might shock her a little but Messi said it wasn't crude or anything and after she got over the concept, I thought she might really like it. Umbral is good though! Coffin Hill was another maybe? I don't know though.

If She were to drop those I mentioned, she'd be left with Wonder Woman and AmVamp, that's a kind of overview of all the stuff she loves. Those two are her very favourites though, and they're both still going strong at least.

My wife loves:

Fatale
Velvet
Saga
Umbral
A Voice in the Dark
Batgirl
Black Widow
Harley Quinn
Alex and Ada
Lazarus
Rat Queens
Revival
And adores Sex criminals.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Well I guess I'm going to watch the next Avengers animated movie for Punisher and Black Widow, despite the stink of Old Man Loeb.

When is Marvel going to hurry up and announce Wacker's new job at Animation? They need him in there as soon as possible, I don't care what anyone says, there is still hope in The Wack.

If he's in a position where he's not subjected to Loeb he could indeed do great things for that division.

JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time

It's essentially the first episode for a series, suggesting that the rumors of it being a scrapped pilot are true, but it's still an enjoyable one shot adventure
with an open ended ending

Karate Kid BEAST MODE.
Working Gorilla Grodd, Black Manta and Captain Cold at the same time

Dawnstar: Randomly has
light based powers in addition to her tracking abilities? Not a big deal, just sort of random, seems to be an addition so that she has more combat effectiveness.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Parch

The Unwritten deserves the deluxe hardcover treatment immediately. Mike Carey is a comics superstar to the highest level.
I mistakenly put Unwritten on the back burner because the art didn't jump out at me. Only recently have I read the first few issues. It really is very good.

I need to stop being so surprised by the quality of Vertigo titles. They rarely disappoint.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The Unwritten deserves the deluxe hardcover treatment immediately. Mike Carey is a comics superstar to the highest level.

Yes! I have it all in floppies but am holding out for the inevitable deluxe editions. Apocalypse is going to be awesome as fuck.

I mistakenly put Unwritten on the back burner because the art didn't jump out at me. Only recently have I read the first few issues. It really is very good.

I need to stop being so surprised by the quality of Vertigo titles. They rarely disappoint.

Yeap, even though the art isn't necessarily eye-poppingly gorgeous, it has its moments and is never egregious or ugly.

In terms of Vertigo, they are really doing well with all of their new comics. Hinterkind and FBP are two books I look forward to every damn month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom