• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Yeah I don't know what is up. They went from "95" to "114" "Pages" (WTF does a digital comic consider a "page"?) That isn't enough to justify a doubling of the price.
Yeah, that infinite format isn't really a new page, it's duplication with more added on.

I do like the format. Best thing that digital comics have brought to the game. Just don't try and sell it off as being a 114 page comic.

It's ok, you can go back tomorrow and get one. I won't put you on the list yet.

I was behind a lady who was saying how much she loved Harley most of her life and reserved issue #1, then a member of staff told her issue #2 had also released today and she ran to get it. Don't know why I'm sharing this, I just thought it was amusing.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I picked it up but decided the art wasn't for me so I put it back. Seems I made a mistake?
Yous a mess, Messi. Dropping Remender hotness and embracing Harley Quinn shitness. Get FBP and make amends.

Talking to my wife about Harley #2. She really liked it. I told her I thought it was ok but not as good as the first one. She thinks my expectations were probably too high. Which is probably true. I read it right after Deadly Class which did not help either.

Just finished Deadly Class, it's sooooo beautiful. I was having trouble reading it because I kept examining every panel, and the colors, the fucking COLORS.

Comic of the Forever!

Edit: Hyperbole aside, this was one impressive first issue.

My main legit gripe with Harley right now is the art. There is no consistency to how her face looks. She looks too different all the time, takes you out of the immersion.

Messi

Talking to my wife about Harley #2. She really liked it. I told her I thought it was ok but not as good as the first one. She thinks my expectations were probably too high. Which is probably true. I read it right after Deadly Class which did not help either.

I think I am to blame for some of that hype :/.

Just got in so I haven't had time to look at anything, but here's the list:

Marvel Comics
Avengers #25
Black Widow #2
Captain America #15
FF #16
Hawkeye #16
Wolverine and the X-Men #40

Image Comics
Bad Dog #6
Deadly Class #1
Sex #10

Dark Horse Comics
Conan the Barbarian #24

/post-post-lists-list

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Thumbs down to Deadly Class.
Lost me at the suicide falling on his parents in front of him while he blames Pres. Reagan. Wtf?

Liked the art and colors though.

Another gripe: the conversation by the guys about a bet on the Giants making the playoffs in "Jan. 1987." That team went 14-2, won the Super Bowl, and clinched a playoff berth way before Jan. of 1987. If you're going to use period flavor, get it right. Great Skate or Die reference though.

Ted Naifeh's Princess Ugg sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

http://www.newsarama.com/20113-meet-ted-naifeh-s-little-warrior-princess-princess-ugg.html

Nrama: So you have Courtney Crumrin, a witch, Polly Pringle, a pirate, but Princess Ugg is more than just a "princess". Can you tell us more about her character?

Naifeh: Her name is Ülga. She's a princess, but of a remote mountain kingdom called Grimmeria, where princesses are more interested in battle-axes than tiaras. So when she comes down the mountain to the disney fairy tale kingdom of Atraesca to go to Princess Finishing School, she really, really doesn't fit in with the other girls, who're all extremely conscious of this social construct called "princess." To them, she may as well be a cave woman. Thus, the nickname Princess Ugg.

Nrama: What are the other princesses like at the school? Do you take any sort of influence from Disney or such?

Naifeh: Well, in the simplest, most reductionist terms, there's an African princess, an Asian Princess, a Gothic princess, and a classic "Disney" princess. For the purposes of the story, they're just the mainstream princess community, designed to contrast Ülga. Her main antagonist is Julifer, the "Disney" princess, her roommate. if the first arc is successful, the next story will be about the Gothic princess, Desdemona, and her kingdom. I want each of the girls to get their turn as a central character in the story.

7LlPl26.jpg
bUboVqV.jpg

inSHSJy.jpg

1vc9G3o.jpg
svqbMjA.jpg

kswiston

I didn't realize that Avengers World took the place of Avengers double shipping. Do I need to be reading that book to stay in touch with Hickman's overarching story?

Parch

Ted Naifeh's Princess Ugg sounds like it could be a lot of fun.
Fantasy is underrated in comics. There's some interesting stuff out there. I like what IDW did with Dungeons and Dragons. They need to keep going with that.

Even good old Conan is getting quality treatment from Dark Horse.

Fantasy is underrated in comics. There's some interesting stuff out there. I like what IDW did with Dungeons and Dragons. They need to keep going with that.

Even good old Conan is getting quality treatment from Dark Horse.

Do you read Gail Simone's Red Sonja, Parch?

zeeaykay

I thought deadly class was a textbook example of a perfect first issue. Empathetic protagonist, mysterious background, absolutely gorgeous art and colors, and a splash page to get you excited for what's to come. To top it all off a letter by the writer which gets you super amped because of how obviously passionate the creative team is.

No not really. I read the first few issues of Queen Sonja that a bud had, but that was what? A few years ago now. Haven't tried anything lately.

Is the recent Red Sonja better than Conan?

I'm not reading Conan. But I think Gail Simone is a good match for the Red Devil. I've never read swords and sandels before but I've been impressed with this series. I'd suggest you give it a look, considering your appreciation for the genre.

I thought deadly class was a textbook example of a perfect first issue. Empathetic protagonist, mysterious background, absolutely gorgeous art and colors, and a splash page to get you excited for what's to come. To top it all off a letter by the writer which gets you super amped because of how obviously passionate the creative team is.

It was solid. I think they spent a smidge too much time on
the homeless stuff early on
, but overall it was quite good. I'm in.

Parch

I'd suggest you give it a look, considering your appreciation for the genre.
I see it's only a few issues in too. Might give it a try.
I always wanted to try Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Anybody reading this?

Never really cared for the "noir" stuff from Dynamite so that's a company I haven't tried a lot. Lone Ranger was really good but my friend stopped getting it. It was getting a little stale anyway.

MartyStu

Wolverine and The X-Men

About damn time. I think the B-plot was lacking, but to finally see the level of discourse between Wolverine and Cyclops elevate beyond "GRRRR" was worth it.

Now translate it to all the books.

Cheska

Deadly Class #1: You guys did not fail me! I went into this blind, knowing very little about the story or premise outside of the fact that Remender was writing it. I love it from the moment I opened the book, though that may have to do with the fact it takes place in SF :) The art and colors were outstanding, and man that
motorcycle/car chase scene :O
. AWESOME!

Justice League #27: I'm getting tired of the Forever Evil crossovers, mainly because I don't want to buy all the books associated with the story. However, the last two JL stories have been good, and more emotional than I expected.

Hopefully I'll have more read after I make dinner.

I'm showing my non-comic-reading girlfriend my comics. She is tripping out the layouts and concept and art of Deady Class. She calls it "mind-blowing" and "wonderful" and "beautiful" and "orgasmic" (LOL). Fully sincere, she shouts "It's genius! I want to buy the rights!"

Wtf is happening?

I stumbled upon JL8 earlier today and have been reading it non-stop. Absolutely fantastic and it's leaving me super hungry for the Flash and Green Lantern.

Best Flash runs to pick up? I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to him. Anything featuring both Flash/GL would be awesome as well. I'm open to pretty much anything that includes humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom