• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

fauxtrot

Banned
How did 3 issues per day work out for everyone? I wouldn't mind lowering it to 2 issues per day (since Stray Bullets is less than half the length of SiP, we'd finish in 21 days @ 2 per day rather than 14 days @ 3 per day) but it's all up to the Powers That Be.

How did 3 issues per day work out for everyone? I wouldn't mind lowering it to 2 issues per day (since Stray Bullets is less than half the length of SiP, we'd finish in 21 days @ 2 per day rather than 14 days @ 3 per day) but it's all up to the Powers That Be.

Everyone pretty much read at their own pace. XD

SiP was too good to limit yourself to three issues per day. And I have no idea where Cheska is.

Messi

Everyone pretty much read at their own pace. XD

SiP was too good to limit yourself to three issues per day. And I have no idea where Cheska is.

Me, Kipp and Cheska at the very least couldn't keep up. I stopped at the end of the first book and will enjoy the rest at a slower pace.

Maybe book clubs aren't for me. It started to feel like chore and it was affecting my enjoyment of the book :(. I also couldn't keep up with my weekly books. Ah well.

fauxtrot

Banned
Why can't DC have a Marvel Unlimited-esque service? I swear, I wouldn't mind if they didn't put new issues up for a year or more after release rather than Marvel's 6 months. There's so much stuff I'd love to catch up on that I'd happily pay $10/mo for easy access to their back catalog.

Instead, they get zero dollars a month from me and I resort to shameful thievery to enjoy their old titles.

Why can't DC have a Marvel Unlimited-esque service? I swear, I wouldn't mind if they didn't put new issues up for a year or more after release rather than Marvel's 6 months. There's so much stuff I'd love to catch up on that I'd happily pay $10/mo for easy access to their back catalog.

Instead, they get zero dollars a month from me and I resort to shameful thievery to enjoy their old titles.
I'd love to get an DCS Unlimitted as their backlog interests me way more. I've read a lot but I'd go nuts reading 70s and 80s Batman books

Also when will Marvel finally make the Star Wars vs Thanos Comic a reality. It's the only SW comic I want

Patton Oswalt describes the plot

Doesn't Didio have some thing about taking sales away from singles when they release or am I being crazy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woohoo! Just won an Ebay auction for The Return of Bruce Wayne Deluxe Edition for $11.66. It doesn't have a dustcover, but I hate dustcovers anyways, so that doesn't even matter to me. Now my Morrison Batman run is complete in the OHC/Absolute format with the exception of Time and the Batman, but I'm not counting that since it's not really necessary.

Getting that second OHC requires the last two issues of Hawkeye to come out. I'm right there hoping with you Kipp, I have the first one already and I don't want to spring for the omni. It would be my fourth time buying the first couple of issues (I bought them digitally, then I bought the TPB and gave that away when the OHC was announced).

I'd buy a Secret Avengers Complete Collection. Superior Foes too. They don't use that format enough, it's just right for me. They did announce a Secret Warriors CC, definitely getting that.

Haha. True.

And yeah, I've also been waiting for Marvel to give Superior Foes an OHC to buy it. The fact that they gave Young Avengers that OHC/omnibus gives me hope for Secret Avengers and Superior Foes.

Marvel is doing Powers omnibus collections now? Whaaaaaa? The one solicited for April includes #1-37.

Ooh. I might pick this up...

When the hell is Sideshow going to make me a damn Darkseid sitting in chair statue?

I would DEFINITELY pick this up. No matter what the price.
Okay, that's an exaggeration, but if anyone makes a Darkseid On A Couch statue, it is mine.

I'll be back to radio silence during the day again. I start my new job tomorrow! I'm going to celebrate by getting Absolute Batman & Robin/Absolute Batman Inc

You done reeeal good.
Also, good luck with the new job! I'm going into the office for the first time (though I've been doing training online at home for the past few days) on Wednesday myself.

Like Messi mentioned, it's been slightly overwhelming for me, but I've basically been keeping up to the schedule (though I think I'm literally the only one on schedule at the moment, with everyone else either ahead or behind). I think a shorter book would be much more do-able since you could do less issues a day while still finishing in a reasonable amount of time.
For a reading club, I think a 500 page run or something would be ideal, but even still, Stray Bullets at half the pages of SiP will definitely work out better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dat Captain America stride towards Thanos even tho everyone is dead, so good. Meaningless, but good. Also the cosmic beings on Marvel are ridiculous

fauxtrot

Banned
Doesn't Didio have some thing about taking sales away from singles when they release or am I being crazy.

Yeah, that's why I'd pitch the idea as the "DC Vault" or some-such thing... they could focus on marketing it as a classics library and wouldn't even need to worry about including the New 52 books as long as it has most of what people would want to read from the 60s - the 90s. The BS archaic single issue cannibalization issue wouldn't even be a factor. Alas, they'd probably be concerned that it'd look like they weren't offering as much as the Marvel counterpart service, so instead they'll lose out on the money they could be making right now.

I just hope they're building their digital library right now so when they finally cave, we won't have to wait for them to get to titles like Kamandi, Kirby's Fourth World stuff, etc...

Owzers

People who read Wonder Woman through the end of Azz's run, what did you think of it? I'm finally done and in the end my thought was
am i supposed to remember Athena from earlier in the run? Because i do not.

It's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC is never going to have a MU type service where new issues are put out 6 months after release unless new people are at the top who don't want you to buy floppies exclusively.

PsychBat!

Banned
Dat Captain America stride towards Thanos even tho everyone is dead, so good. Meaningless, but good. Also the cosmic beings on Marvel are ridiculous
Cosmic beings showing up nowadays are on the scarce side. They're so cool but I want them to be more involved and not giving mere mortals cryptic confusing responses to questions. lol cosmic beings gonna cosmic I suppose.

It's a shame, I have a few friends that got into marvel comics and were interested in DC but lost interest after learning they didn't have comparable service.

DiDio's a DiDiot.

So (sadly) true.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can't remember if I've read Infinity War (the sequel to Gauntlet), I want to say yes but if I did it was just once and I can't remember any of it.

Anyway Gauntlet totally holds up, I love Warlock in it

b49eeba0b7ea5a0f63eb4f9cfaf43439877766abc16b4fe9edc2ff2e08abc1e9.jpg

Go get em, Zombine.

ComicGAF be like:
I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif

I think he means Absolute Batman & Robin by Jim Lee and Frank Miller

Reading some backlog, caught up on all new cap and Thor.

Cap
Holy crap they killed Ian in the second issue, damn. I don't really believe it yet but damn zemo being brutal.
Them using the whole "who do you trust?" thing again did make me roll my eyes but Remender could make it interesting.

Thor
Thor's gonna turn out to be
Roz Solomon
. She's probably the only one who met Dario Agger before. Really fun series and Dauterman can sure draw a ricocheting hammer.

Bii

I just wish DC didn't take so long to release trades :(

Same here. It's probably why I pick up so few DC trades nowadays. Feels like I'm always behind on DC stories that isn't Batman.

-

Star Wars #1

I had really low expectations. Not really sure why but I'm sure others were in the same mindset. So I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't terrible. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed it. It had subtle bits of humor, fun but not so surprising reveals, and I think the plot progression leaned more on safe storytelling. Which is okay given the source material and its fan base.

The art is bland. Especially during action sequences. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the few swings of a lightsaber was poorly illustrated. That's without saying that there are things that I did like. Like the part where the Negotiator used his
troopers as shields from Chewbacca's sniper shots
was done well. The last page was done nicely as well, drawing your eyes towards a focal point from an angled perspective.

It's not enough to put on my pull list but I will be picking up the next issue just to see how it fares.

Rhaknar

Didn't know there was a third Infinity arc in the 90s called Infinity Crusade, 1 year after Infinity War (just as War was 1 year after Gauntlet). Also another one from 2002 called Infinity Abyss. Not complaining about more Thanos but one has to assume these can't touch the original

PsychBat!

Banned
Didn't know there was a third Infinity arc in the 90s called Infinity Crusade, 1 year after Infinity War (just as War was 1 year after Gauntlet). Also another one from 2002 called Infinity Abyss. Not complaining about more Thanos but one has to assume these can't touch the original
Infinity War was okay but didn't come close to Infinity Gauntlet. Infinity Crusade is a waste of time, it's just bad all around. Infinity Abyss gets confusing at times. Then Marvel: The End is next which gets worse. After that it's the short lived Thanos comic that is sort of an introductory to Annihilation. We get in to the Marvel Cosmic chart about there.

But I digress. Infinity Gauntlet is the best Thanos story. The only other one I consider really fun and solid is The Thanos Imperative.

Rhaknar

Infinity War was okay but didn't come close to Infinity Gauntlet. Infinity Crusade is a waste of time, it's just bad all around. Infinity Abyss gets confusing at times. Then Marvel: The End is next which gets worse. After that it's the short lived Thanos comic that is sort of an introductory to Annihilation. We get in to the Marvel Cosmic chart about there.

But I digress. Infinity Gauntlet is the best Thanos story. The only other one I consider really fun and solid is The Thanos Imperative.

I need to look for the chart to add all that shit to my queue, I still haven't read that you know. Speaking of Thanos and the cosmic chart, was Gamora being his daughter, and his stuff with Drax a later retcon? Because here in Infinity War neither Gamora nor Drax acknowledge that. In fact, Drax is a Hulk-sHulk-style bumbling idiot, quiquite different from the Guardians Drax

PsychBat!

Banned
Here it is. There is some stuff that you can skip but it really just comes down to whether a book is important to the overarching story. But since you're a fast reader, I won't tell you to skip anything. Overall, the Cosmic stuff during the 2000s is much more solid and rewarding than anything that's happened on Earth. I mean, you have Civil War (which was bleh) on Earth, but in space you have the flarking Annihilation event which kicks ass.

I personally prefer Conquest to the OG but that's just me. Have fun when you can.

Rhaknar

Thanks Psych. You know, I searched for Civil War on MU, and Siege and others. Then I saw they were like 100 issue joints each (counting tie ins) and quickly gave up on that idea. I'm glad I read all of AvX since its somewhat recent and it gave me a good starting point to eventually be caught up with current stuff, but any other event will be something that I MIGHT one day check out when I'm down to just weekly updates on MU, and that won't be for a very long time, no matter how fast I read.

The "cosmic chart" stuff tho was high on my priority list when I got the MU sub so that I will read. It helps that tie ins are like entire runs of comics I really want to read (guardians and nova) as opposed to random issues from series I don't care about

Again, thank you Psych

Edit: halfway through Infinity War and I'm digging it. It's different than Gauntlet that's for sure. I like how Magus is orchestrating everything, and I especially like how Doom and Kang are sneaking around doing their thing. For such a stupid design and name, Kang is kind of a boss. Warlock being all emo isnt the best tho

Cosmic Marvel is fun, and I don't just mean the chart

Lewd poses break expensive toys :/

This makes me think of the movie Grandma's Boy.

People who read Wonder Woman through the end of Azz's run, what did you think of it? I'm finally done and in the end my thought was
am i supposed to remember Athena from earlier in the run? Because i do not.

My biggest thought is that it took too damn fucking long. The story they told wasn't a 36 issue, 3 year epic. I think they could have done that story in like 10 - 12 issues TOPS and then gone onto something else. Its a really solid portrayal of Diana, and it really digs into the Greek gods, and I wish we got her doing something else than dealing with THE BABY! There were times too when it felt like the DIana, Zola and friends show. Zola felt like just as important of a character for the run as Diana herself. Which for 3 years was a bit fucking much. I wish editorial had wrangled them in a bit, and had them give us 3 - 4 story arcs, instead of 1 from this team.

Owzers

This makes me think of the movie Grandma's Boy.

My biggest thought is that it took too damn fucking long. The story they told wasn't a 36 issue, 3 year epic. I think they could have done that story in like 10 - 12 issues TOPS and then gone onto something else. Its a really solid portrayal of Diana, and it really digs into the Greek gods, and I wish we got her doing something else than dealing with THE BABY! There were times too when it felt like the DIana, Zola and friends show. Zola felt like just as important of a character for the run as Diana herself. Which for 3 years was a bit fucking much. I wish editorial had wrangled them in a bit, and had them give us 3 - 4 story arcs, instead of 1 from this team.

Agreed in all. Three years was a long time to only end up with...that. Protect Zola, protect baby, find zola, find baby, find zola, find baby, protect baby, protect zola. I feel like i was cheated in a sense out of potential great stories from a talented team, much like how i felt after reading the Swamp Thing/Animal Man Rotworld never ending crossover.

Agreed in all. Three years was a long time to only end up with...that. Protect Zola, protect baby, find zola, find baby, find zola, find baby, protect baby, protect zola. I feel like i was cheated in a sense out of potential great stories from a talented team, much like how i felt after reading the Swamp Thing/Animal Man Rotworld never ending crossover.

Yeah I will FULLY agree with the Rotworld comparison. Though I think Rotworld suffered from some story issues along with being too long. I felt the same way in the end, just cheated out of some other awesome stories to facilitate one never ending one. I almost got a feeling during some of those final issues as well, that if they hadn't decided to end their run, we would have gotten even more THE BABY! issues.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah I will FULLY agree with the Rotworld comparison. Though I think Rotworld suffered from some story issues along with being too long. I felt the same way in the end, just cheated out of some other awesome stories to facilitate one never ending one. I almost got a feeling during some of those final issues as well, that if they hadn't decided to end their run, we would have gotten even more THE BABY! issues.

I don't know, man. Rotworld was bad enough to basically destroy the momentum and most peoples' interest in two series. Rotworld is easily the worst event I've had the displeasure of reading, especially because it dragged an otherwise excellent Animal Man run into the fucking pits.

No I agree Rotworld had major issues.

I'm finally reading the latest Batgirl, and UGH the writing. It just feels like a completely different character, it doesn't seem remotely like the Barbara Gordon we've gotten to know everywhere else in the DC N52 universe. She's now going on a date with this cop (I guess Ricky who was a big part of the last run doesn't exist now) and she acts dumbfounded and stupid when he mentions not liking Batgirl. How is this a surprise for her, how is someone as intelligent as her reacting this way. Its like if Penny from BBT was Batgirl, "bu..bu...but she does good!" "bu...bu...but she's popular." UGHHHH

Just UGH. I think I'm dropping this, love the art but the writing doesn't get/understand the character and is just ignoring 3 years of character set up and development. Batgirl had been one of my favorites from the reboot, and now I'm dropping it. Sorry Babs Tarr you art is amazing but the writing is ughhh.

Nudull

Banned
The more I hear about Batgirl, the more it seems like a bizzaro Ms. Marvel; attempting to be fun and diverse, and failing spectacularly in the process.

Top Bottom