• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

I really feel people are not paying close enough attention or maybe my mind conjured up something that is not there but I thought that last page made it seem like there is two Barbara's.

I really feel people are not paying close enough attention or maybe my mind conjured up something that is not there but I thought that last page made it seem like there is two Barbara's.

I think it just links back to her program. She said it mapped her brain and all her memories and secrets earlier in the issue. I don't think there's 2 Barbaras.

NAPK1NS

(Reposted from Whatcha reading thread. A graphic novel but I'm trying to spread the word).

McKean_cages_cover.jpg

For those who aren't familiar, Neil Gaiman (Coraline, American Gods, Good Omens) wrote a comic series called Sandman. For all of its issues a guy named Dave McKean produced the cover art, which is really striking stuff.

Cages is the only effort he has both written and drawn. At 500 pages, Cages is a graphic novel monster that bursts with talent. While not short, the length is breezy as you get caught up in the haunting, beautiful, and sometimes nightmarish images. The narrative is more of a thematic juggling rather than a story. I can say what I've derived from the text, but someone else may have a different takeaway. Using the backdrop of various artists sharing an apartment complex, it discusses the tension that when anything is possible, what is the RIGHT thing? Are the origins the most important part of a new development? Essentially, the tightest cage is yourself.

Emotionally effective and thought provoking. Easily recommendable as one of the best graphic novels I've read. 5/5.

I had to order the book from my store, and the hardcover is out of print. It's 30 bucks but the page quality and overall book composition is amazing. Get on it, guys!

The phone, the caller ID, the message.

I forget how she lost her program, was it stolen or HDD died, but didn't she give the dead drive to the dude to copy. I think someone got ahold of it and is using it to run a simulation of Barbara, or something along those lines. Its probably connected to the virus that's running through Hooq. Which would connect it to sending tons of notifications about her to Liam on it.

I forget how she lost her program, was it stolen or HDD died, but didn't she give the dead drive to the dude to copy. I think someone got ahold of it and is using it to run a simulation of Barbara, or something along those lines. Its probably connected to the virus that's running through Hooq. Which would connect it to sending tons of notifications about her to Liam on it.

So you're saying my
HARDAC Robot Barbara
theory is correct.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Battle of the Atom arc was starting to annoy me, especially with some of the x-men voting for the kids to stay in the present which makes no fucking sense at all given what everyone knows about time travel and more importantly their own various experiences with time travel (Kitty is especially annoying)...

...but then there is a
wizard iceman, Colossus with a bitching stashe and Quentin as phoenix
? Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!

Also, now I want THAT book, not stupid emo Cyclops or stupid past original x-men :(

I just finished The Man Without Fear arc and, while I have a good bit of comic knowledge and limited actual comics exposure, I feel like I can safely come to at least one conclusion. Black Panther is the baddest motherfucker on the planet. Am I wrong?

Tizoc

I just finished The Man Without Fear arc and, while I have a good bit of comic knowledge and limited actual comics exposure, I feel like I can safely come to at least one conclusion. Black Panther is the baddest motherfucker on the planet. Am I wrong?

He prep-timed taking out Mephisto with only 1 punch, so yes
2833536-2571324_2288992_blackpanther04p17_super.jpg

Battle of the Atom arc was starting to annoy me, especially with some of the x-men voting for the kids to stay in the present which makes no fucking sense at all given what everyone knows about time travel and more importantly their own various experiences with time travel (Kitty is especially annoying)...

...but then there is a
wizard iceman, Colossus with a bitching stashe and Quentin as phoenix
? Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!

Also, now I want THAT book, not stupid emo Cyclops or stupid past original x-men :(

Even more dumb because time travel in the MU had always been tangent timelines so it wasn't actually your past or future but a branching alternate timeline. But Beast was all like "YO CHECK THIS SHIT PERFECT TIME TRAVEL THAT DOESN'T DO THAT AND HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR LEGIT GRANDFATHER PARADOX BECAUSE WHY NOT".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eh, did anyone of you heard of the Interview with Gran Morrision from a few weeks ago, where he stated, that he is mainly known from Mainstream comics like Batman and (and now it comes...) Avengers?

Not putting to much into this, since he and Axel arent BFFs, but has anyone a link to this?

I just read about this on the CBR forums, but shit, imagine that meltdown.

Just a few hours remaining until the great announcement...

PsychBat!

Banned
few more hours and I'm up in the middle of the night eating a peanut butter sandwhich while ruining my regular sleep schedule. The wait is killing me lol

The more I hear about Batgirl, the more it seems like a bizzaro Ms. Marvel; attempting to be fun and diverse, and failing spectacularly in the process.

It's... well, Shin brought up alot of good points in regards to its problems. I'm probably way more forgiving about it; I think it's a silly concept but I don't feel the actual execution is bad.

It's more than it feels like a story about a Barbara who was just starting out as Batgirl. If they'd launched the title originally the blowback would probably have been much less. Or if it had been a Stephanie book; I'd expect this sort of stuff from her. I just expect more from Barbara. She's the OG. She may not have gotten into it because of personal tragedy but because of a desire to do good and right wrongs. Now she's chasing down drunk drivers and petty thieves. She's causing more damage and harm than good. Thankfully this last part seems to at least be on the table to be addressed.

One aspect that I do think has been handled particularly well, though, is how people react to sudden, instant fame. Barbara, as Batgirl, becomes a twitter / tumblr / social media sensation in world and it gets to her. That is something that could happen to anyone.

CBR: December Sales Numbers

The estimated total sales for the 300 comics was 6,752,057 comics which is up by 23,808 units from November and up by 153,249 units from December 2013. DC Comics had the largest percentage of the top 300 comics with 39.60% of the total units sold followed by Marvel Comics with 38.09%.

The top selling comic from DC Comics was "Batman (2011)" #37 in slot 1 with an estimated 113,255 units and for Marvel Comics was "Amazing Spider-Man (2014)" #11 in rank 2 with an estimated 104,739 units.

Harley Quinn at #11, Harley Special at #13. Nothing stops this train dot gif.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Cages is the only effort he has both written and drawn. At 500 pages, Cages is a graphic novel monster that bursts with talent. While not short, the length is breezy as you get caught up in the haunting, beautiful, and sometimes nightmarish images. The narrative is more of a thematic juggling rather than a story. I can say what I've derived from the text, but someone else may have a different takeaway. Using the backdrop of various artists sharing an apartment complex, it discusses the tension that when anything is possible, what is the RIGHT thing? Are the origins the most important part of a new development? Essentially, the tightest cage is yourself.

Emotionally effective and thought provoking. Easily recommendable as one of the best graphic novels I've read. 5/5.

I had to order the book from my store, and the hardcover is out of print. It's 30 bucks but the page quality and overall book composition is amazing. Get on it, guys!

Great review! I hadn't heard of Cages, but now I'll have to check it out sometime.
And also just FYI, Dave Mckean also wrote and drew Pictures That Tick, which are a bunch of comics short stories. If you enjoyed Cages, you will probably want to check that out. I haven't read it, so can't speak to its quality, but at the very least it'll be fantastic to look at.

So you're saying my
HARDAC Robot Barbara
theory is correct.

definitely possible.

It's... well, Shin brought up alot of good points in regards to its problems. I'm probably way more forgiving about it; I think it's a silly concept but I don't feel the actual execution is bad.

It's more than it feels like a story about a Barbara who was just starting out as Batgirl. If they'd launched the title originally the blowback would probably have been much less. Or if it had been a Stephanie book; I'd expect this sort of stuff from her. I just expect more from Barbara. She's the OG. She may not have gotten into it because of personal tragedy but because of a desire to do good and right wrongs. Now she's chasing down drunk drivers and petty thieves. She's causing more damage and harm than good. Thankfully this last part seems to at least be on the table to be addressed.

One aspect that I do think has been handled particularly well, though, is how people react to sudden, instant fame. Barbara, as Batgirl, becomes a twitter / tumblr / social media sensation in world and it gets to her. That is something that could happen to anyone.

You bring up some REALLY good points. This is a Barbara as Batgirl that's supposedly been at this for YEARS, and is totally acting like its her first god damn day on the job. I mean seriously the way she handled that drunk driver, and the fact that she went after him the way she did, is not something the Barbara Gordon they've established in Batgirl, and the rest of the DC Universe, would have done. It was beyond fucking amateur hour. Like you said if this was a Spoiler book and its about Steph's first few months on the job, I'd totally buy it and get it. As Barbara Gordon, genius, OG Batgirl that stood up to some of Batman's villains, and general bad ass, nope, don't buy it, get the fuck out of here Cameron Stewart. It's not the same character.

Its just a terrible portrayal of her too, where's her intelligence, where's her sensibility from being a cops daughter (ie she knows how a cop is going to react to a vigilante), her dealings with Dinah are out of character, just UGH.

I think the concept is silly, and the execution of the writing is bad. Its just completely missing who the character is, and thus makes everything about it feel off. I've grown to really like the art, but they need a new writer, like as of last month.

I think one of my biggest issues with certain comic book writers is their lack of hmm fuck I'm not sure the word for it. There's a certain lack of going OK this character comes from this background, grew up this way, has these personality traits, so how are they going to react/handle things. Instead its just ohh man wouldn't it be cool to have so so do this thing that's totally out of character for their background! I really wish there was more thought given to that. Barbara is a genius level intellect, who grew up a cops daughter, who donned the cape and cowl to do good with out any of Batman's money or training, who got shot in the back by the Joker and went through hell and back to walk again, who has dealt with personal loss and having an almost Joker level psycho path for a brother, and has been a vigilante in Gotham for a few years now. Write that character.

Was Batgirl a relatively low key character? Wasn't she famous before?

(I am not too familiar with Batgirl outside of a few batman series.)

I think one of my biggest issues with certain comic book writers is their lack of hmm fuck I'm not sure the word for it. There's a certain lack of going OK this character comes from this background, grew up this way, has these personality traits, so how are they going to react/handle things. Instead its just ohh man wouldn't it be cool to have so so do this thing that's totally out of character for their background! I really wish there was more thought given to that. Barbara is a genius level intellect, who grew up a cops daughter, who donned the cape and cowl to do good with out any of Batman's money or training, who got shot in the back by the Joker and went through hell and back to walk again, who has dealt with personal loss and having an almost Joker level psycho path for a brother, and has been a vigilante in Gotham for a few years now. Write that character.

I think we should adjectify Bendis.

Messi

Batgirl taking that picture on top of the bridge for her social network profile was the least Babs thing I've seen in some time. This Batgirl reeks of being Steph without being Steph.

Was Batgirl a relatively low key character? Wasn't she famous before?

(I am not too familiar with Batgirl outside of a few batman series.)

Well most of the Bat Family is meant to be low key. They operate in the shadows. They're supposed to be half urban legends even if they are not. So people knew there was a Batgirl but she wasn't taking selfies and trending on twitter.

Hellers

I've just started reading X-Men Forever on Marvel U. What's the corresponding series and issues in the real timeline so I can see the differences? Should I start at Extinction Agenda for the intro of Ro?

Bruce said on panel somewhere before the new 52 that Tim would eventually be a better detective than him. I've forgotten what book it was.

I recall this as well but I can't remember where. He definitely has the potential to be the best detective.

There should be a Batman Vs. Black Panther Prepduellthread.

No amount of prep will save BP's week 3 box office. :p

Would DC give a crap about any Batfamily character
sorry cass
long enough to pursue that further, though?
yesyesyesyes

ftfy

Just read Shaft #2 last night, anyone else reading this book?
I'm freaking loving it. The art is awesome and I really like the narration going on, Its really doing a good job of opening up the main character.
I don't know if I've ever even seen Shaft before but this book is fugging awesome so far. Check it out yall.

I was surprised how violent it got.

I'm freaking loving it. The art is awesome and I really like the narration going on, Its really doing a good job of opening up the main character.
I don't know if I've ever even seen Shaft before but this book is fugging awesome so far. Check it out yall.

Can't judge this post without pictures of the book against the backdrop of your house.

Bonus points if you can work a pet into the shot.

Tizoc

^My ranking of Robins
1- Damien
2- Tim
3- Rick and Jason

There should be a Batman Vs. Black Panther Prepduellthread.

B. Panther wins if you ask me, but GAF has lots of Batfanatics that won't hear any argument and just say Batman wins.
Thing is Panther prep-timed Batman's prep time, long before Batman even needed to consider prep-timing for B. Panther.

I was surprised how violent it got.

Will give it a read, is it based on THAT Shaft?

Uuuuuh....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
B. Panther wins if you ask me, but GAF has lots of Batfanatics that won't hear any argument and just say Batman wins.
Thing is Panther prep-timed Batman's prep time, long before Batman even needed to consider prep-timing for B. Panther.
I really need so start Black Panther... I think I have to order some Man without Fear books with him.

xD Never believe the big Two xD

Top Bottom