• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

The Marvel Universe is dead, long live the Marvel Universe.

It's not dead, it just regenerated, like the Doctor in Doctor Who.

Fanboys: You will die now, Marvel. This is the end of you! The rules of reboots are known. You have expended all your #1s.
Marvel: Sorry? What did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen, bit of advice. Tell me the truth if you know it. Lay down the law if you're feeling brave. But Fanboys never, ever tell me the rules!

*a crack in the marketverse allows the MCU to grant Marvel another reboot cycle*

Fanboys: Emergency! Emergency! Marvel is rebooting! Marvel is rebooting!
Marvel: Oh, look at this! SECRET WARS IN 2015! We're breaking some serious science here, boys! I tell you what, it's gonna be a whopper!
Fanboys: Exterminate! Exterminate the Marvel!
Marvel: You think you can stop me now, Fanboys? If you want my life, come and get it!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Immonen's Future Flashback sequence with President Dazzler was one of the greatest moments in comics history.

my favorite part of the event was Maria Hill basically saying "for fuck sake, what the fuck have the X-Men done now? These fucking mutants are always fucking something up"

and

"yo fuck time travel. do we have a time machine? I want to go back in time and kill whoever invented the time machine"

...because its true, on both accounts :p

Mafro

So those Secret Wars teasers are actual series spinning out of the event? Are they replacing existing series during the event or what? I heard something about that in the livestream. Seems odd to announce new books recently like Uncanny Inhumans with all this happening.

is Original Sin the one where they kill the Watcher? most comic updates the last few weeks on MU have been Original Sin tie-ins
Yeah that's the one.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Marvel is going the clusterfuck route and not the delightfully clean reboot they clearly fucking need.

Its still bizarre they didnt do the "refugees from Ultimate go to 616" plot when they did Galactus. Now its this big stupid convoluted event screwing the entire MU like shit like OMD did. Swell.

Zombine

Banned
"As of October 2015, Brian Michael Bendis will take over writing duty on all Marvel titles, and Greg Land will oversee art duties for the foreseeable future."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
No single issue will be beating Star Wars #1 for a long time... that was a perfect storm of 90's era "collector's edition" stupidity.

I guarantee every series will end up with Secret Wars tie-in issues and it'll fuck up more titles than it will help. With my luck, Secret Wars will do to Ms. Marvel what AvX did to Wolverine and the X-Men and the series will never completely recover.

Yo don't say that shit, man.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"As of October 2015, Brian Michael Bendis will take over writing duty on all Marvel titles, and Greg Land will oversee art duties for the foreseeable future."

tumblr_md51j7Svsv1qm29x8o1_250.png

So real talk. Why do you think Marvel is doing this? What do you suspect the main goal is? To align things closer to the movies? Are we going to see the removal of Mutants and replace them with Inhumans?

Sou Da

So real talk. Why do you think Marvel is doing this? What do you suspect the main goal is? To align things closer to the movies? Are we going to see the removal of Mutants and replace them with Inhumans?

I find every comics are becoming MCU post extremely annoying. But no, I think they just want a new status quo and to get there they want to use the most 'Marvel' event possible.

Well, the Ultimate Universe was created in the first place to help ease new readers into comics without having to worry about all the existing chronology that was already present in 616. But with the Marvel movies already introducing people to the basics, I guess they thought it was a good idea to merge everything together?

Also, $$$$$$$.

Well, people always say that superhero comics are too convoluted and impossible to get into, so I think they want to grab new readers.

PsychBat!

Banned
that superhero comics are too convoluted and impossible to get into
But are they really though? Because I wasn't reading comics during most of the 2000s (and I definitely didn't read any comics during the 90s), maybe a TPB here or there of some random stuff like Spider-Man and I was just fine.

Owzers

i think they wanted all the universes to matter and interact. They also want to try to find a way to get people to buy more marvel books :p

But are they really though? Because I wasn't reading comics during most of the 2000s (and I definitely didn't read any comics during the 90s), maybe a TPB here or there of some random stuff like Spider-Man and I was just fine.

no, but a lot of nonreaders seem to find the hobby very difficult to get into

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's definitely daunting when you're just starting out.

I'm on my phone at work and have little idea of what's been said or announced beyond what you guys are saying. If I can keep reading the books that I like and ignore the big worlds-shattering event taking place, then that's great and I'll do that. If not, and everything Marvel is getting tied into this whatever-it-is, then dropped those books shall be until the next batch of insular titles come along.

MG310

DC Collectibles has a pretty stacked August lineup

Jae Lee Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Catwoman figures
Roxy Rocket
Black & White Batgirl, Hitch Batman, and a rerelease of Darwyn Cooke Batman
Lois Bombshell

Jim Lee Catwoman bust is pretty good too.

I won the Adam Hughes Black Canary bust on Ebay after forgetting that I bid on it like a week ago.

Cheska

There's something I've always been wondering, where the heck did Marvel come up with these numbers for the multiverse? Why are they so random? Why is the primary Earth 616?

DC Collectibles has a pretty stacked August lineup

Jae Lee Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Catwoman figures
Roxy Rocket
Black & White Batgirl, Hitch Batman, and a rerelease of Darwyn Cooke Batman
Lois Bombshell

Jim Lee Catwoman bust is pretty good too.

Oh my God, I am so in for these.

ReAxion

I have no idea. But I hope this isn't the reason. It's a weak ass excuse if it is.

it would make scenes like this

PBFG3JT.png

extremely clumsy errors. It's not like they forgot they don't have the movie rights to Fantastic Four.

So I don't think they're really trying to make them be one and the same.

There's something I've always been wondering, where the heck did Marvel come up with these numbers for the multiverse? Why are they so random? Why is the primary Earth 616?

The Wiki page about it is pretty interesting. The answer to your question specifically:

Alan Moore is usually credited with creating the term. However, Alan Davis has stated that the designation of Earth 616 was actually first made by Dave Thorpe, the previous writer of the UK-published Captain Britain stories.

In addition, a difference of opinion exists regarding the selection of the number 616. In 2005, Alan Moore's son-in-law John Reppion (who is married to Alan Moore's daughter Leah Moore), stated on an Internet message board that the number 616 was arbitrarily chosen by Moore and had no significant meaning, saying it "was just a random number of no significance chosen because people always seemed to be talking about 'earth 2' or 'earth 4' but never any higher numbers."

PsychBat!

Banned
Not gonna lie, people. While I'm on board for Secret Wars and everything Hickman/Marvel related, I'm actually scared about what's taking place afterwards.

I'm on my phone at work and have little idea of what's been said or announced beyond what you guys are saying. If I can keep reading the books that I like and ignore the big worlds-shattering event taking place, then that's great and I'll do that. If not, and everything Marvel is getting tied into this whatever-it-is, then dropped those books shall be until the next batch of insular titles come along.

Pretty much me yea.

Rhaknar

yooooo just read Winter Soldier The Bitter March #1-5, anyone read this?

I thought it was awesome, its basically a spy novel, almost like a james bond tale really. White dude was creepy as shit, Agent Shen was cool, even the scientist lady was basically a bond-girl. great stuff, was it just these 5 issues?

Top Bottom