• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Zombine

Banned
I feel like he's parodying himself

Like, why the fuck would I even bother bringing my pitch to him? Why work on it? Just go up to them and be like, "So there's this guy and this other guy, and the one guy has a sword and the other guy is bad. They fight and things happen and then things don't happen. Some people will find it cool and other people won't."

I decided to branch out from my super hero comics from the big two and deep dive into the world of Image comics. I am growing tired of the big events/crossovers/etc and I think Image looks to be a great place to venture to. What are their best series' to read? I don't like horror so Walking Dead is a no-go (sci-fi/fantasy are just fine though). I already have Saga on my list so far.

Thanks!

Last day of the Image Comics Humble Bundle if you haven't already got it. :D

PsychBat!

Banned
Like, why the fuck would I even bother bringing my pitch to him? Why work on it? Just go up to them and be like, "So there's this guy and this other guy, and the one guy has a sword and the other guy is bad. They fight and things happen and then things don't happen. Some people will find it cool and other people won't."
Axel approves.

I decided to branch out from my super hero comics from the big two and deep dive into the world of Image comics. I am growing tired of the big events/crossovers/etc and I think Image looks to be a great place to venture to. What are their best series' to read? I don't like horror so Walking Dead is a no-go (sci-fi/fantasy are just fine though). I already have Saga on my list so far.

Thanks!

If you still like superhero books but just don't like the crossovers that Marvel and DC constantly afflict themselves with, definitely give Invincible a shot.

Beyond that, I would suggest Velvet, Deadly Class, and Rat Queens. If you're still hungry after that, Revival, Lazarus, and Alex + Ada.

Thanks!

Last day of the Image Comics Humble Bundle if you haven't already got it. :D

Buy this, Cheebo. At $18 it's a great sampler.

Also, buy Rat Queens Volume 1: Sass & Sorcery as well.

Line in the sand: Alonso or Brevoort

Brevoort, because he talks less about 'murican sportz.

Loona

Thunderworld is excellent. If you like Captain Marvel and good comics you'll enjoy it. The writing is fun and charming and the art is delightful.

Probably my favorite issue of Multiversity so far.

Nice, thanks - does it work well on its own if you're read nothing of Multiversity?

Busaiku

You know over the last year, I've kind been less hyped for non-superhero stuff and going almost exclusively superhero comics again, I dunno why. Most of the books are great, but I just don't feel as attached to them.
Probably not getting anything new, and after Trees and Supreme Blue Rose end, I think I'll only be following Low, Deadly Class, Shaft, The Wicked & The Divine, and that's pretty much it.

Cade

That sounds like a good pitch. We'll pair you up with one of our top floor artists like Khoi Pham or our always pleasurable Greg Land for a minimum run of two issues.

Thanks!
Seconding BuddyJoeHooker, check out the Humble Bundle before it's too late. Just spring for the highest tier so you can get the first three volumes of Saga along with all of the other goodies.

Deadly Class and Sex Criminals are my favorite Image books and they're both included in the bundle, give them a shot!
Nice, thanks - does it work well on its own if you're read nothing of Multiversity?
Yeah it should. There's some stuff involving comic books in it that are related to Multiversity, but it should be okay on its own.

oh man, I love this cover:
SECAVN2014015-Cov-b3b7e.jpg

Dalek

my daughter and I have been reading Pet Avengers for the first time and we love it. I wish there were more "light hearted" books like that. Plus, Lockjaw vs.
Thanos with Lockjaw using an Infinity Collar
is one of my all time favorite moments in comics.

I was just wondering because the DC previews went up on CBR and I'm like "I didn't know they still made this book".

That's because they were hit with delays multiple times, and thus are a few issues behind schedule.

I think I saw a rumour that Johns had to condense a few issues so that the current arc would end before Convergence, leading into The Darkseid War in the summer.

And you hear more about Grayson and Harley because they're hijinks books. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not Hickman-level where there's a separate OT for Harley, so it all ends up here. I bought the first trade for a quid on Amazon and thought it was okay, but not for me. Harley just isn't as likeable as Power Girl as a protagonist for me. It obviously sells though.

Harley would have been perfect for New Secret Six actually. Deadshot, Catman, Scandal, Harley, Jeanette, Bane. All the damn money. (and yeah, I know she joined the pre-New 52 team and it didn't go well for anyone)

my daughter and I have been reading Pet Avengers for the first time and we love it. I wish there were more "light hearted" books like that. Plus, Lockjaw vs.
Thanos with Lockjaw using an Infinity Collar
is one of my all time favorite moments in comics.

If you haven't read it, I can highly recommend The Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet:

Same writer as Atomic Robo, lots of good humour in it for kids.

Dalek

If you haven't read it, I can highly recommend The Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet:

Same writer as Atomic Robo, lots of good humour in it for kids.

We will check it out next, thanks for the recommendation-there aren't too many Marvel comics at an entry level for kids to enjoy...(that are high quality I should stipulate)

fauxtrot

Banned
So, what does this (literally) Earth-shattering event mean for the normal people that live in the Marvel Universe? One of the things I always liked about the MU was the cities are real for the most part and it felt like those superheroes were living in our world today. I just hope they try to do interesting things with the general public and the world's governments acting appropriately to the event... otherwise it's going to feel even dumber than it already sounds.

Like, what's the landscape going to be like 6 months after the event? The Earth the Marvel Universe now resides in sounds like it won't be anything close to the one we live in...

I'm probably over-thinking this and after the event the Earth will be put back to normal, but the surviving superheroes from the different universes will now just all be on one unmolested planet. Maybe one of the mutants will mind-wipe all the mundies so they don't even know anything has changed.

We will check it out next, thanks for the recommendation-there aren't too many Marvel comics at an entry level for kids to enjoy...(that are high quality I should stipulate)

I would pay a high price for some high-quality Marvel Adventures reprints. Around 2006-2007 they were easily the best books Marvel was putting out.

Storm on the Avengers! Janet Van Dyne without Hank Pym baggage! We didn't know how good we had it.

Dalek

I would pay a high price for some high-quality Marvel Adventures reprints. Around 2006-2007 they were easily the best books Marvel was putting out.

Storm on the Avengers! Janet Van Dyne without Hank Pym baggage! We didn't know how good we had it.

I took a look at those and the artwork-for Spider-Man was abysmal so I wrote it off...

fauxtrot

Banned

If you're interested in something similar from DC, the "Adventures" line from the 90s was a lot of fun (The Batman Adventures, The Batman and Robin Adventures, etc) and still holds up today. The art style is based off of the DC animated TV shows from that era, which I've always been a fan of:

Dalek

If you're interested in something similar from DC, the "Adventures" line from the 90s was a lot of fun (The Batman Adventures, The Batman and Robin Adventures, etc) and still holds up today. The art style is based off of the DC animated TV shows from that era, which I've always been a fan of:

Thanks-and based on your Avatar, my daughter's absolute favorite is Ms. Marvel. We read the entire run up to current in about 3 nights and now she's going apeshit over having to wait a month or more between issues.

Lightening rarely strikes twice. If it does come back I hope it explores new avenues instead of just being a retread of the original.
speaking of, I was just about to ask if anyone still read Secret Six but it turns out #2 isn't out yet and was actually delayed until February. hm.
Wait, so Lemire's Hawkeye #1 is going to come out before Fraction's series' final issue is released? Damn, Aja...
rofl. The Lemire run is gonna get cancelled before the Aja finishes those last issues.

heyyy this is so much MY SHIT. I can't wait.

Top Bottom