• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
back to your regulary scheduled programing, finished Battle of the Atom...meh.

Thats how I describe it...meh. I fully agree with Psych, it started strong and it crash landed hard midway through. And this is coming from someone that actually likes the original x-men in the present idea and All New as a book. Oh and Kitty was completely nonsensical during the whole thing, it was quite annoying. If they just wanted to put her on Uncanny they really should have found a better way

I did really like the future x-men designs tho, what can I say, im a sucker for future/alternate universes

edit: why are my posts always top of the page >_>

Neoxon

Its a very different new Status Quo. Everything has happened. Every inch of continuity is still important, its just all mixed up.
That's actually pretty cool. This is probably the best way Marvel could have gone about it, though it sounds like they're salvaging the Ultimate universe more than anything.

Sou Da

What do people see in Miles? He always ranged between having no personality or being written exactly like Peter, his supporting cast and villains are what made that book worth reading.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's actually pretty cool. This is probably the best way Marvel could have gone about it, though it sounds like they're salvaging the Ultimate universe more than anything.

My wallet already cries. All dat Reprint stuff that is going to be re-reeleased from the non-Earth-616 books.

Drayco21

I hope they save Ultimate Peter somehow. It will be a bit weird if they've brought him back just to kill him again.

I was kinda hoping the moment after they revealed he really was Peter, Karn would show up and spear him through the back and then just jump through a portal waving around the twin birds shouting "Take some Spider-Verse, fuckers" and go back to Slott town, because bringing Ultimate Peter back was never going to get to end well.

He and MJ are leaving New York on some road trip or something, weren't they? Maybe they'll be outside of Manhattan when the Battleworld forms and find a safe, non-war related way to continue living a peaceful, retired life in the new universe.

What do people see in Miles? He always ranged between having no personality or being written exactly like Peter, his supporting cast and villains are what made that book worth reading.

Miles is the biggest king of wasted potential in the whole universe of wasted potential that Ultimate is. Bendis utterly failed him as a character by alienating and killing off all of his own supporting cast early on, giving him hand-me downs from Peter's cast like constantly talking to Gwen and Aunt May all the time, he fights Peter's villains, hangs out with Peter's clones and Peter's friends and Peter's SHIELD contacts, and spends every other issue asking himself "Gee, I wonder what Peter would do". He's written exactly like Peter, he acts exactly like Peter- the only difference is that he gets to end every major threat and fight with an overpowered, under explained Venom Blast that removes any tension from any conflict.

I really want to like Miles, but most of the time, it's like reading a lamer version of the same Peter Bendis was writing before.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Matthew Perpetua ‏@perpetua 32m32 minutes ago
So yeah, post Secret Wars is going to be a radical change, but built out of what already existed. #SecretWarsLive

aka no reboot I assume

Neoxon

Oh man, I'm sure this means Wolverine gets to come back

This changes everything
They said Wolverine won't legit return until 2016 at the earliest. I guess they're waiting for Secret Wars to wrap up before he is revived.

I sincerely hope they revive Richie by the end of Secret Wars so he & Sam can co-exist. More so given that the seeds have been planted for Richard Rider in the MCU.

Owzers

first thing i don't like:

Marvel loves to have events and stories based on heroes fighting heroes, with this new world it is going to be incredibly easy to do this over and over again because now you can make Cap fight Cap and etc etc etc and pretend it's "different' because it's a different cap each time. The only thing better than having an event based on Cap and Iron man on opposing sides is by having Cap and Iron Man team up against a different Cap and Iron Man!

Drayco21

They said Wolverine won't legit return until 2016 at the earliest. I guess they're waiting for Secret Wars to wrap up before he is revived.

I sincerely hope they revive Richie by the end of Secret Wars so he & Sam can co-exist. More so given that the seeds have been planted for Richard Rider in the MCU.

If they bring in
The Cancerverse somehow, since Bendis shat all over it's destruction by not reading the Thanos Imperative before he wrote the sequel to it, and made it so they never reintroduced to concept of death to it and killed it, they could easily bring Rich back. Rich became the door between 616 and the Cancerverse, and then sealed himself off after letting Pete, Drax and Thanos out. If the Battleworld includes both the Cancerverse, 616 and tons of others, there's no reason for Rich to remain sealed, and maybe even have him brought back by the nature of all the universes slamming into each other.

I'm pretty sure this is how science works.

damn so that $3.99 Wolverines title is actually supposed to last a year.

Can't wait to see those sales in the coming months.

E the Shaggy

The best thing is, that we could likely get Re-Recon and a married Peter Parker with a child... And dudes, even when they fuck up the rest, this will it be worth. I can always only read Spider-Man again <3

If anything we'll get the exact opposite: Peter retconned to being in high school again.

Neoxon

If they bring in
The Cancerverse somehow, since Bendis shat all over it's destruction by not reading the Thanos Imperative before he wrote the sequel to it, and made it so they never reintroduced to concept of death to it and killed it, they could easily bring Rich back. Rich became the door between 616 and the Cancerverse, and then sealed himself off after letting Pete, Drax and Thanos out. If the Battleworld includes both the Cancerverse, 616 and tons of others, there's no reason for Rich to remain sealed, and maybe even have him brought back by the nature of all the universes slamming into each other.

I'm pretty sure this is how science works.
Though the question is, how would you go about having both Richie & Sam (put them together in the Nova comic, rebrand Sam's comic as Kid Nova while Richard gets Nova proper, give Richie a Nova Prime book while Sam stays on regular Nova, leave Richie in the Guardians book while Sam keep his Nova book, etc.)?

They have 3 unrevealed locations.

And yeah expecting one to be cancerverse, one to be Doom's universe he created in FF and the other to be the universe of the evil Avengers we saw earlier that
Thor has there Thor's hammer currently

If anything we'll get the exact opposite: Peter retconned to being in high school again.

Ultimate Spider-Man
the cartoon
Returns to Comics!

What wacky adventure with his team of Worst Nova, Stoner Iron Fist, 1980s Wrestling Singlet Luke Cage and Token Minority Girl Who Won't Get an Action Figure will he have next?

Blech.

Drayco21

Though the question is, how would you go about having both Richie & Sam (put them together in the Nova comic, rebrand Sam's comic as Kid Nova while Richard gets Nova proper, give Richie a Nova Prime book while Sam stays on regular Nova, leave Richie in the Guardians book while Sam keep his Nova book, etc.)?

Hopefully we see Dan Abnett take the helm of Guardians in a post-Secret Wars relaunch, and Richie can stay on-board with his Guardians bros while Duggan continues to do cool stuff with Sam in the standalone Nova.

Alternately, just fucking give Yost New Warriors back and let him take Sam, and give Abnett the standalone Nova book and make it about Rich.

Nudull

Banned
Ultimate Spider-Man
the cartoon
Returns to Comics!

What wacky adventure with his team of Worst Nova, Stoner Iron Fist, 1980s Wrestling Singlet Luke Cage and Token Minority Girl Who Won't Get an Action Figure will he have next?

Blech.

To be fair, the show has gotten better since Loeb left.

Seriously though. When is that Gamora solo book starting?

zomRYxC.gif

Neoxon

Hopefully we see Dan Abnett take the helm of Guardians in a post-Secret Wars relaunch, and Richie can stay on-board with his Guardians bros while Duggan continues to do cool stuff with Sam in the standalone Nova.

Alternately, just fucking give Yost New Warriors back and let him take Sam, and give Abnett the standalone Nova book and make it about Rich.
Or they can get Andy Lanning on a separate Richard Rider Nova book. But yeah, I hope Abnett returns to the 616 Guardians.

back to your regulary scheduled programing, finished Battle of the Atom...meh.

Thats how I describe it...meh. I fully agree with Psych, it started strong and it crash landed hard midway through. And this is coming from someone that actually likes the original x-men in the present idea and All New as a book. Oh and Kitty was completely nonsensical during the whole thing, it was quite annoying. If they just wanted to put her on Uncanny they really should have found a better way

I did really like the future x-men designs tho, what can I say, im a sucker for future/alternate universes

edit: why are my posts always top of the page >_>

Immonen's Future Flashback sequence with President Dazzler was one of the greatest moments in comics history.

good news from perpz:

Also, every writer has been in the loop on this and all stories in progress will be told/folded into Secret Wars and beyond #SecretWarsLive

Rhaknar

is Original Sin the one where they kill the Watcher? most comic updates the last few weeks on MU have been Original Sin tie-ins

fauxtrot

Banned
No single issue will be beating Star Wars #1 for a long time... that was a perfect storm of 90's era "collector's edition" stupidity.

I guarantee every series will end up with Secret Wars tie-in issues and it'll fuck up more titles than it will help. With my luck, Secret Wars will do to Ms. Marvel what AvX did to Wolverine and the X-Men and the series will never completely recover.

Top Bottom