• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

yooooo just read Winter Soldier The Bitter March #1-5, anyone read this?

I thought it was awesome, its basically a spy novel, almost like a james bond tale really. White dude was creepy as shit, Agent Shen was cool, even the scientist lady was basically a bond-girl. great stuff, was it just these 5 issues?

Yes it was only the five issues but you can see more of Ran Shen in Remender's Captain America Run.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes it was only the five issues but you can see more of Ran Shen in Remender's Captain America Run.

wouldnt he be old as shit now? or is that remender Cap in the past like this Winter Soldier mini?

wouldnt he be old as shit now? or is that remender Cap in the past like this Winter Soldier mini?

No it leads into how Cap becomes old.

This series:
sVNwXVa.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No it leads into how Cap becomes old.

This series:

and added! I noticed that Remender also wrote Secret Avengers, the one before the current MODOK one.

And Uncanny Avengers but I knew about that (and read the first one)

Rhaknar

is Bucky in any book these days? I remember seeing a promo picture of him with falcon cap and angela and shit, but that was more of a Marvel in general picture I think, not exactly for any book in specific?

also, quick history legend on how the fuck Bucky is in present day? did he also get stuck in a ice block? :p

is Bucky in any book these days? I remember seeing a promo picture of him with falcon cap and angela and shit, but that was more of a Marvel in general picture I think, not exactly for any book in specific?

also, quick history legend on how the fuck Bucky is in present day? did he also get stuck in a ice block? :p

I think there's a Winter Soldier ongoing right now

I think the promo pic you saw was for Avengers NOW

and added! I noticed that Remender also wrote Secret Avengers, the one before the current MODOK one.

There was actually one more run of Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer between Remender and MODOK. The first trade thereof was one of the first Marvel trades I bought.
I hated it.

Y halo ther Avengers 2 POPs.

Okay, that new Hulk Pop don't look half bad. At any rate, it's way better than the one already out.

Mafro

He's got his own solo series written by Ales Kot and some great art by Marco Ruddy, it's on issue #2 or 3 so far I think. It spins out of Original Sin which he was a reasonably big part of.

Intermittently kept in and out of suspended animation by the Soviets when they wanted to use him as an assassin.

Drayco21

Bucky is currently in All-New Invaders, which is pretty fun, but he's not as prominent as most of the others on the team. He's also got a gorgeous looking new ongoing of his own, but the writing is kinda weak. It's pretty to look at, at any rate .

Bucky's backstory is explored in the excellent Brubaker Cap run, but the gist is that
the Russians were able to fish him out shortly after the crash, and gave him the robot arm and the red room training that wiped his mind and turned him into their weapon, then they put him on cryo whenever he wasn't needed for a mission- during which, they'd wake him up just long enough to accomplish his goal and eliminate a target, and put him back on ice before he'd be able to get cognitive enough to think for himself or ask questions.

Loona

I thought it was because 616 was the original Number of the Beast in old translations of the Bible.

Sounds like something Moore would sneak in.

Today I found that Thunderworld exists, which serms like a breath of fresh air after New 52 douche Batson.
Seems like its about a DC multiverse story sneaking into classic Captain Marvel, with the Sivana version of the Council of Reeds.
Sounds interesting, but on the other hand I'm weary of it being a Grant Morrison story.
i'm tempted to vote for this with my money over New 52 Shazam, and with this Convergence thing maybe there's hope to revert that character assassination.

Anyone read it? What did you think?

You need to add Ed Brubaker's Cap run to your reading list stat. One of the most acclaimed runs of the last decade.

The Winter Soldier movie will also tell you the story of what happed to Bucky.

Rhaknar

He's got his own solo series written by Ales Kot and some great art by Marco Ruddy, it's on issue #2 or 3 so far I think. It spins out of Original Sin which he was a reasonably big part of.

#2 or 3 would explain why its not on MU. Cotcha

Intermittently kept in and out of suspended animation by the Soviets when they wanted to use him as an assassin.
Bucky is currently in All-New Invaders, which is pretty fun, but he's not as prominent as most of the others on the team. He's also got a gorgeous looking new ongoing of his own, but the writing is kinda weak. It's pretty to look at, at any rate .

Bucky's backstory is explored in the excellent Brubaker Cap run, but the gist is that
the Russians were able to fish him out shortly after the crash, and gave him the robot arm and the red room training that wiped his mind and turned him into their weapon, then they put him on cryo whenever he wasn't needed for a mission- during which, they'd wake him up just long enough to accomplish his goal and eliminate a target, and put him back on ice before he'd be able to get cognitive enough to think for himself or ask questions.

I am totally ok with this explanation. Comic logic and all

Today I found that Thunderworld exists, which serms like a breath of fresh air after New 52 douche Batson.
Seems like its about a DC multiverse story sneaking into classic Captain Marvel, with the Sivana version of the Council of Reeds.
Sounds interesting, but on the other hand I'm weary of it being a Grant Morrison story.
i'm tempted to vote for this with my money over New 52 Shazam, and with this Convergence thing maybe there's hope to revert that character assassination.

Anyone read it? What did you think?

Thunderworld is excellent. If you like Captain Marvel and good comics you'll enjoy it. The writing is fun and charming and the art is delightful.

Probably my favorite issue of Multiversity so far.

Cade

Holy fucking shit was that pizza thing real or is Rafa legitimately writing Alonso's speeches?

EDIT: This shit:
"The Ultimate Universe and the Marvel Universe are going to smash together," editor-in-chief Axel Alonso explained. "Imagine there's two pizzas. They're going to smash together. You're going to have all-new toppings. Some toppings are going to drop off. You're going to yell about some that are missing. You're going to love the new ones that are there. That's the new Marvel universe moving forward."

Owzers

Holy fucking shit was that pizza thing real or is Rafa legitimately writing Alonso's speeches?

"The Ultimate Universe and the Marvel Universe are going to smash together," editor-in-chief Axel Alonso explained. "Imagine there's two pizzas. They're going to smash together. You're going to have all-new toppings. Some toppings are going to drop off. You're going to yell about some that are missing. You're going to love the new ones that are there. That's the new Marvel universe moving forward."

how do you have all new toppings when you smash two pizzas together? Magic.

I dunno, man. Two pizzas smashing together sounds like a fucking mess to me.

fauxtrot

Banned
"Every creative team has known this was coming," Brevoort said. "We've had a line of demarcation in the sand. Get your most immediate business done by this point because we're going into 'Secret Wars' and it's going to have an impact on everything. Most of those creators are working on books during 'Secret Wars.' They may not be exactly the same book. There may not be a 'Guardians of the Galaxy' book but there's probably going to be something that involves some bit of that business, or stuff that may be done in 'Guardians' in the future. Everything is going to kind of change and shift as we go. We're not entirely ready yet to map it all out for you."

This worries me greatly.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Hahaha. Unbelievable.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
"Every creative team has known this was coming," Brevoort said. "We've had a line of demarcation in the sand. Get your most immediate business done by this point because we're going into 'Secret Wars' and it's going to have an impact on everything. Most of those creators are working on books during 'Secret Wars.' They may not be exactly the same book. There may not be a 'Guardians of the Galaxy' book but there's probably going to be something that involves some bit of that business, or stuff that may be done in 'Guardians' in the future. Everything is going to kind of change and shift as we go. We're not entirely ready yet to map it all out for you."

This worries me greatly.

Oh damn! You know what this means! Aja is going to have to hurry it up on Hawkeye, or else Hawkeye is gonna get real weird.

But all of this just makes me happy that I read very, very few superhero comics. All these shenanigans won't affect anything I'm interested in, so I just get to enjoy the show.

Cheebo

Banned
I decided to branch out from my super hero comics from the big two and deep dive into the world of Image comics. I am growing tired of the big events/crossovers/etc and I think Image looks to be a great place to venture to. What are their best series' to read? I don't like horror so Walking Dead is a no-go (sci-fi/fantasy are just fine though). I already have Saga on my list so far.

Thanks!

Busaiku

I mean, the thing is, they don't outright say that they're relaunching everything, but it sure sounds like it.
Alonso was saying like if you follow X-Men or Spider-Man, those're (in Secret Wars) the books you'll have to follow now.
That's why I'm worried about stuff like Silk and Spider-Gwen.

This worries me greatly.

Did he just go line in the sand?

I decided to branch out from my super hero comics from the big two and deep dive into the world of Image comics. I am growing tired of the big events/crossovers/etc and I think Image looks to be a great place to venture to. What are their best series' to read? I don't like horror so Walking Dead is a no-go (sci-fi/fantasy are just fine though). I already have Saga on my list so far.

Thanks!

Low is my favorite thing coming out of Image right now, has such a well defined world through a perfect mix of art and storytelling, hop on it!

Top Bottom