• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Never understood the love for Gargan Venom.

He was good in Ellis Thunderbolts, because they were all horrible people except for Songbird so he fit right in.

The eating people thing in particular was gross, like something 10 year old me would have come up with to make a character interesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He was good in Ellis Thunderbolts, because they were all horrible people except for Songbird so he fit right in.

The eating people thing in particular was gross, like something 10 year old me would have come up with to make a character interesting.

oh gargan actually "ate brains" instead of just threatening it like eddie did?

Damn, just received this email alert from Mondo. Tempted but $300 is a lot of money.

AV2MrFv.png

CBTech

All-new X-men #35 - If it didn't seem like this story was going to end in the next issue or two I'd drop this book until the next story started. I am having a hard time investing in this. Maybe if I had read Ultimate X-men or read any of Miles Morales's run of Spider-man I would be more invested.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Eddie Brock was dying and sold his symbiote at an auction. It went to this mobster's son, but the symbiote found him lacking and abandoned him in mid-air and then went to Gargan.

tdb3280_not-sure-if-fry-uKXXu6.jpg

whut

All-new X-men #35 - If it didn't seem like this story was going to end in the next issue or two I'd drop this book until the next story started. I am having a hard time investing in this. Maybe if I had read Ultimate X-men or read any of Miles Morales's run of Spider-man I would be more invested.

What are you going to do after Secret Wars? Shit you're unfamiliar with is going to be coming at you left and right.

Eddie Brock was dying and sold his symbiote at an auction. It went to this mobster's son, but the symbiote found him lacking and abandoned him in mid-air and then went to Gargan.

How do.....you sell something........ bonded to your nervous system....... at auction?

Fintan

What are you going to do after Secret Wars? Shit you're unfamiliar with is going to be coming at you left and right.

How do.....you sell something........ bonded to your nervous system....... at auction?
Eh, the symbiote is constantly being separated from people with sonics etc. And I guess Brock wasn't worried about the possible deleterious health effects when he was already dying of cancer.

Sadist

Well, Eddie was dying from cancer and symbiots leave a dying host apparantly.

Good thing that Eddie had some Venom left in him though

Edward_Brock_(Earth-616)_as_Anti-Venom.PNG

CBTech

So long everybody!

Well, I've been rolling with the punches so far. I have a decent understanding of Marvel continuity through Wikipedia so it hasn't been too bad. Also, Ultimate X-men and Ultimate Spider-man are two series I've been meaning to catch up on. If Marvel Unlimited would just let me subscribe I think I'll be golden.

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't mind a soft reboot like the New52 for Marvel. I get that it is really annoying for those who have been keeping up for years, but it really does make jumping in easier. That being said, I do think Marvel's one continuity is really cool. It is interesting that I can look at a character like Cyclops and see how he has changed from his debut all the way to now.

Rhaknar

I actually wanted to ask what are some good books to read Anti Venom and also Toxin stuff

The suit left Eddie because it didn't want to keep investing in the Brock market!

*The Right Deal is booed as a crazed fan activates the bad joke death trap. The ceiling begins to descend on the lone comic, who must quickly think of a better joke before he is utterly crushed. Wracking his brain yields no results, and as his slow, creeping death descends upon him, he can do nothing but look at his wife and child, wild-eyed in the audience. In the brief seconds before leaving this mortal world, he mouths two words to his young daughter, who will never forget the sight of her father being crushed.

"I'm Sorry"*

I didn't read everything with Anti-Venom but he was cool as hell. Disappointed he went away. Don't even know what's up with Eddie these days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I actually wanted to ask what are some good books to read Anti Venom and also Toxin stuff
Venom/Carnage.

Also, regarding Anti-Venom: Amazing Spider-Man: New Ways To Die and Amazing Spider-Man: The Return of Anti Venom. He haf a own Mini but this was pure shit and not worth 5 minutes spend on the book.

I also think that he had a big role in Spider-Island, but I have to re-read this.

I didn't read everything with Anti-Venom but he was cool as hell. Disappointed he went away. Don't even know what's up with Eddie these days.
He is bonded with Toxin and went after Agent Venom.
I dont know how this turned out.

Rhaknar

Venom/Carnage.

Also, regarding Anti-Venom: Amazing Spider-Man: New Ways To Die and Amazing Spider-Man: The Return of Anti Venom. He haf a own Mini but this was pure shit and not worth 5 minutes spend on the book.

I also think that he had a big role in Spider-Island, but I have to re-read this.

hmm do you mean Amazing Spiderman Presents: New Ways To Live? thats what im finding on MU

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The suit left Eddie because it didn't want to keep investing in the Brock market!

*The Right Deal is booed as a crazed fan activates the bad joke death trap. The ceiling begins to descend on the lone comic, who must quickly think of a better joke before he is utterly crushed. Wracking his brain yields no results, and as his slow, creeping death descends upon him, he can do nothing but look at his wife and child, wild-eyed in the audience. In the brief seconds before leaving this mortal world, he mouths two words to his young daughter, who will never forget the sight of her father being crushed.

"I'm Sorry"*

I'm uncomfortable right now, homie.

One of the better ideas I think to come out of Mark Millar's brief tenure on Spider-Man.

I always had a problem with Eddie Brock Venom. Venom himself is a strong concept, evil Spider-Man with that godlike black suit, didn't set off Peter's Spidey Sense, kinda an anti-hero, that works. The guy in the suit though, he just had the worst motivation. He was a reporter whose column in the Globe was read by millions and he was writing about the Sin-Eater murders as they occurred. As a result of those articles, he stated that he was contacted by the aforementioned sad sack Emil Gregg, who confessed to being the Sin-Eater (Michelinie actually based this on a real event that had occurred in New York during the 1970's, when someone claiming to be the Son of Sam approached reporter Jimmy Breslin - again the credit for the reference goes to Comics Creators). Brock began telling Gregg's story but was pressured by police and the Globe's lawyers to reveal his identity before he killed again. And of course, we know what happened. Gregg was a phony and Stan Carter was soon revealed as the real Sin-Eater. Brock was fired and ostracized by his former colleagues, and as he described it - forced to write venomous (hence his supervillain name) celebrity pieces for tabloid magazines in order to survive. And rather than say, being mad at Gregg for being a screwed up liar, Brock blamed Spider-Man for exposing Brock and Gregg's fraud.

I mean uhhhhhh so you're a supervillain WHY exactly. That's not even how the Sin-Eater story happen, you idiot! The story was only a couple years old, you couldn't have just checked it out, David Micheline!?

There's a reason why every single re-telling of Venom's origin ditches this entire "I fucked up and got caught now I'm mad at Spider-Man???" origin, making up more compelling, logical reasons for Brock to hate Spidey AND Peter.

• In the 1990's animated series - Brock is Peter's less than ethical rival photographer at the Bugle (as opposed to being a reporter at another newspaper) - and tries to promote his career at the expense of Spider-Man. He grows to hate both men, which gives him an already built in motivation when the symbiote first bonds with him.
  • In the Ultimate version, Eddie Brock Jr. is the son of Richard Parker's science and business partner, as well as a childhood friend of Peter's. Eddie is a little unstable anyway, but eventually turns on Peter because after he shows Pete the miracle "cancer suit" their fathers developed, Pete goes behind his back to conduct experiments on it - which he discovers when he turns on the TV and there's a black suited Spider-Man fighting crime in front of the cameras!
  • In Spider-Man 3, Brock is a rival photog like in the animated series, but with the extra kicker of being young and a contemporary of Peter Parker's AND something of an Anti-Parker - unethical, full of himself, and obnoxiously flirtatious with the ladies. You can easily see this young man doing something stupid, ruining his life, but refusing to take responsibility, unlike the older, more experienced, comic book Brock.

• In the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, Eddie has a livelong connection with Peter, as both their parents died in a plane crash together. Peter got some great guardians in Peter and May while Eddie had to fend for himself, which caused a divide between them even if Eddie tried to hide it. As the series progresses, Eddie develops animosity towards Peter due to a series of misunderstandings, often involving photographs Peter had taken while secretly disguised as Spider-Man. This ultimately damages their friendship. In the series Spider-Man finds himself merged with an alien symbiote which Doctor Connors was studying at ESU. The loss of the alien meant a loss of funding for the lab, and as a result Eddie had to be let go from his job as lab assistant (his only source of income for tuition). Spider-Man eventually manages to separate from the symbiote after revealing its true intentions. He attempts to destroy it in front of Eddie, thus incurring an animosity towards Spider-Man as well as Peter, which attracts the alien. The symbiote then subsequently bonds with Eddie, revealing to him Spider-Man's identity, making him the first and only person in the series to learn his secret identity. Boom, a supervillian with logical dramatic motivations are born.

All of these, particular the last one, make a lot more sense to me than comic Eddie's whole thing.

Meanwhile, Mac Gargan is the Scorpion, and he's pretty much always been a mid-carder with a hard-on for Jonah. Giving him Venom gives him a push to the Main Event level(excuse all these wrestling terms, Serpentine will translate later), and also frees Venom up from his silly original incarnation. Venom gets to do a lot of fun, Venomy stuff, although the highpoint for me was of course his appearance in Ellis/Deodato Thunderbolts. Rather liked how they compared it to a drug addiction you now is bad for you but you just can't shake.

Thunderbolts_v1_Faith_In_Monsters_HC_2007_M.jpg
Thunderbolts_v1_Faith_In_Monsters_HC_2007_M.jpg

Edie wasn't totally thrown away though. In fact, I think one of Dan Slott's best inventions was Anti-Venom. It gives Edie his own symboite, lets him do his Dark Avenger Anti-Hero status partly played for laughs, and his redemption arc, to make up for the evil he's done in the past, is a stronger dramatic spine than his original story. It all climaxed in a pretty fantastic way when he has to sacrifices his symboite to help save New York City from Spider-Island. Finally got to be the big hero on TV with Reed Richards. I like to think this was the last story he ever starred in and all that Toxin stuff just never happen in my head. Really can't get a better ending for that guy.

2070224-s2.png

and current Flash Thompson Venom is cool, too. Its taken a character who has mostly just hung around on the fringes of the franchise for 40+ years because he was in Stan Lee's original ASM run, and finally makes him an active character again now that high school's over and he can't bully Peter anymore.

Rhaknar

No. Thats the Anti-Venom Mini.

I meant Amazing Spider-Man 568-573 and 663-665

I love this thread, have I mentioned that.

To keep this venom, or symbiote talk going (because its fun), where exactly do the symbiotes...live? That Gargan panel that JC posted makes it sound like they are in their stomachs, I always pictures a underthe skin type deal, since some artists depict the symbiotes coming out of the mouths and eyes and shit.

Man, the symbiote idea is FUCKED UP >_<

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edie wasn't totally thrown away though. In fact, I think one of Dan Slott's best inventions was Anti-Venom. It gives Edie his own symboite, lets him do his Dark Avenger Anti-Hero status partly played for laughs, and his redemption arc, to make up for the evil he's done in the past, is a stronger dramatic spine than his original story. It all climaxed in a pretty fantastic way when he has to sacrifices his symboite to help save New York City from Spider-Island. Finally got to be the big hero on TV with Reed Richards. I like to think this was the last story he ever starred in and all that Toxin stuff just never happen in my head. Really can't get a better ending for that guy.

2070224-s2.png

Yea, that was a perfect end to Eddie's arc. He just needs to be left alone at this point, there's really nowhere else to take him that won't feel wrong in some way. It's the same with Otto, he just needs to be left alone after all that Superior stuff. The 2099 stuff is cool, but outside of that he should stay gone.

Sadist

I dig Remender's Venom run. First time I really like anything Venom related.

Plus Flash becoming Venom made Spidey bitchslap Cap because the latter never telled him. Which was funny because Cap could only mutter "well you're not wrong"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love this thread, have I mentioned that.

To keep this venom, or symbiote talk going (because its fun), where exactly do the symbiotes...live? That Gargan panel that JC posted makes it sound like they are in their stomachs, I always pictures a underthe skin type deal, since some artists depict the symbiotes coming out of the mouths and eyes and shit.

Man, the symbiote idea is FUCKED UP >_<
I always thought they would work like clothes, Ive never seen him doing this stuff with Eddie. Carnage again lives in the blood of Cleetus Cassady... So I think they work different from writer to writer.

Funny thing was, Venom was always my favourite Spider-Man foe... Until I read books with. Beside the original Venom story, Ive never read a good BrockVenom Story

JC, can you write me an great Carnage post? :) I would love to read this.

I think the main reason Eddie's origin was so lame was because he wasn't Michelinie's original choice for Venom. It was actually gonna be a woman! A pregnant woman who's husband was killed in a car accident because the driver was distracted by Spider-Man(!). Also, did I mention this happen right in front of her(!!!), because whoa. Also also, the shock sent her into labor and she lost the baby(!!!!!!) and her mind(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in the process. The symboite is drawn to her grief, bond together and now they want Spider-Man.

Now IDK about you, but this whole origin makes my ElNarez senses tingle, just hella misguided and exploitative story to create a hysterical woman for Spidey to beat up. BUT that's not why it was canned. It was canned because then-editor Jim Salicrup didn't believe the audience would accept a woman as a viable physical threat to Spider-Man, even one enhanced by an alien symboite. This must have been before Wonder Woman was created or something.

HA HA...comic book industry /harveybirdman

I think the main reason Eddie's origin was so lame was because he wasn't Michelinie's original choice for Venom. It was actually gonna be a woman! A pregnant woman who's husband was killed in a car accident because the driver was distracted by Spider-Man(!). Also, did I mention this happen right in front of her(!!!), because whoa. Also also, the shock sent her into labor and she lost the baby(!!!!!!) and her mind(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in the process. The symboite is drawn to her grief, bond together and now they want Spider-Man.

Now IDK about you, but this whole origin makes my ElNarez senses tingle, just hella misguided and exploitative story to create a hysterical woman for Spidey to beat up. BUT that's not why it was canned. It was canned because then-editor Jim Salicrup didn't believe the audience would accept a woman as a viable physical threat to Spider-Man, even one enhanced by an alien symboite. This must have been before Wonder Woman was created or something.

HA HA...comic book industry /harveybirdman

yeah but then we got she-venom, which made me feel weird as a child

Top Bottom