• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's confirmed. JC is The Watcher.

JC hates X-Men

Deadpool is
kind of
an X-Man

JC is the Watcher confirmed

uatu%2Bvs.%2Bdp%2Bpic.jpg

Also I just read the most recent fantastic four number who cares and I don't know who the fuck
The sleepwalker?
is.

I had the same problem with the reveal of
she thing

I don't even know of those characters are spoilers because I don't know enough about marvel to know if it's a big deal but I'm assuming it is not.

I'm gonna ride this book out until the end but holy Lord

Umm Ive been reading it since issue 1 and that NoBody arc that ended with "forgive me father for I have sinned" is one of the worst(quality wise) things I've read

I groaned out loud and almost threw the book in the garbage.

Starting from the very next page it became a top 3 book, though.

I get why you say that. But I enjoyed it. So for me it's been consistently good.

Whoa, wait a minute....

Brian K. Vaughan (Saga) and Cliff Chiang (Green Arrow/Black Canary) are working on a comic book about newspaper delivery girls called Paper Girls.

GET HIJINKS-GAF ON THE LINE! THIS INSTANT!

Will we ever see the return of Phyla? :(

I'd like if the movie version of Captain Marvel would have Phyla as an emissary to Earth to help Earth's heroes during the Infinity War, who trains Carol and passes on the mantle after she gets badly hurt by Not-Corpus Glaive. Mar-Vell would be a great war hero or something.

Yes, in an age where DC and Marvel movies are doing hundreds of millions and sometimes a billion dollars, where excitement for television series is at an all time high, where superhero games do incredibly well and the book lines themselves are seeing year over year increases, "We've been on the pop culture precipice of superhero fatigue for a while now."

Why do these articles always have to turn into "us vs. them" when talking about Indie books?

Owzers

Yes, in an age where DC and Marvel movies are doing hundreds of millions and sometimes a billion dollars, where excitement for television series is at an all time high, where superhero games do incredibly well and the book lines themselves are seeing year over year increases, "We've been on the pop culture precipice of superhero fatigue for a while now."

Why do these articles always have to turn into "us vs. them" when talking about Indie books?

Sounds like the words of a them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

its something thats been prominent for a while. capes are seen with a sort of stigma and indies are new and fresh, even though a lot of the people in the indie scene are also writing capes, and the same quality carries over to capes as well. its also funny when i notice in threads that some are quick to point out that american comics are more than capes like capes are so horrible or something

We need indie books. I don't want comics to die when the movie boom eventually ends (it'll be awhile, but people said the same things about westerns decades ago that they say about Marvel/DC movies now). The readership for core titles is only getting older, and we need these books to attract the next generation. In an age where TV dramas are the biggest they've ever been, comics have a huge advantage because they also present serialised stories.

To murder a Simpsons quote, "You don't win friends with Shazam."

Owzers

its something thats been prominent for a while. capes are seen with a sort of stigma and indies are new and fresh, even though a lot of the people in the indie scene are also writing capes, and the same quality carries over to capes as well. its also funny when i notice in threads that some are quick to point out that american comics are more than capes like capes are so horrible or something

Remender Image quality vs Remender Axis quality....

aren't enough sirens in the world.

The problem is a lot of the new readers either read comixology, MU or buy TPB/Omnibuses instead of ongoings for the big two.

And since the big two still go off of ongoing sale instead of TPB, they don't see what the new readers like as well as comixology not releasing its sales.

axis was a dumb idea from the jump, lets get real

and its more like brubaker indie to brubaker marvel

Yeah AXIS was just going to be an arc but got promoted to big event and Remender just went full ham meta on people instead of dark big epic like people expected. See UA annual vs UA. OS and AXIS both probably were just going to be an arc before Fraction left Inhumanity which was going to be the big event. And then Marvel tried to keep there two events a year going.

58292721.jpg

Is what I think GH is getting at. There doesn't need to be one or the other, both can coexist, and SHOULD coexist. There's no need to attack one to try and raise up or support the other. They can both be raised up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
58292721.jpg

Is what I think GH is getting at. There doesn't need to be one or the other, both can coexist, and SHOULD coexist. There's no need to attack one to try and raise up or support the other. They can both be raised up.

i agree with that, but it seems that some reason it seems ok to trash capes for indies

Vibranium

Banned
lol, found this angry fan letter about Batman year one

Batman-408-Letter.jpg

Mothafuckas ROBBED this man of 75 cents, yo

The poor bastard must be drowning in $3.99. DiDio and Alonso smile in delight.

Year One is my favorite Batman story of all time, even if it is more about Gotham. I really would love a Jim Gordon solo, a sort of spiritual successor to Gotham Central.

Honestly though it was the first sentence of the article that really got me, lol. It wasn't needed. You could have just said "The best comics are coming from Image". They then go on to act like superhero comics are a fad and it's only months away from falling like a house of cards (dat 75+ year fad). Most articles praising indie titles (which they deserve, though once again... calling out Bitch Planet, with a single issue, seems the height of presumption) just seems hell bent on saying how much better they are than cape books rather than just saying how awesome they are without that caveat.

Edit: Nap time! More arguements later!

Vibranium

Banned
I like Ed Brubaker's approach, he says Image is cool and all but he still liked his time at Marvel and DC. No need to put down others.

MG310

Oh wow. Day 0.

B7-yTQjIQAISlWW.jpg

Is there a day before 0, because that day. I guess I should get around to buying Stargirl at some point since she's the only one I'm missing and they haven't shown one I don't like yet.

ReedPop announced the dates/venue for Special Edition NYC - June 6th & 7th at Pier 94 instead of Javitz this time.

Top Bottom