• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Cheska

The Holy Batman It's Going To Be A Huge Week List

Batman #38
Catwoman #38
Gotham Academy #4
Harley Quinn #14

Alex + Ada #12
Bitch Planet #2

Secret Avengers #12
Thor #4
Uncanny Avengers #1
Uncanny X-Men #30

January IST Order
American Vampire Vol 7
Black Widow Vol 2
Casanova Vol 2
Green Lantern Omnibus by Geoff Johns
New Warriors Vol 2
Superior Foes of Spider-Man Vol 3
X-Force Vol 2
Wild Blue Yonder HC

I have been digging deep into Image for the first time thanks to the humble bundle and I am rather blown away by just about everything I have been reading. Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, Alex + Ada, Wicked + Divine, etc.

I mean how are they easily running circles around Marvel and DC with quality like this? I mean it is not even comparable, they are just on another level it seems. Add in the fact how pro-consumer they are (everything being DRM free and available in CBZ/CBR is something I did not realize was even an option after focusing mostly on DC/Marvel).

The difference between Image and the big two are that Image retains no rights to use of the characters in the comics they publish. Image handles the actual publishing and advertisement, but all comics they publish are creator-owned. That's why a lot of well-known writers have been flocking to Image in recent years.

These are a better deal! And newer. They don't include the stuff from the fifth absolute volume though

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401241883/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401243142/?tag=neogaf0e-20
:-o

Thanks, didn't know they finally released the Omnibus version! Looks pretty good! Very tempting to get these and a housewarming gift with the leftover money...

I have them, and still don't know what exactly I'm missing.
What are your impressions? Would they make a nice wedding gift? More importantly, can they honestly be used for a re-read of the entire series?

tim1138

That first Green Lantern omnibus is huge y'all, it collects all of GL from Rebirth through Sinestro Corps War, GLC Recharge and the GLC Sinestro Corps issues, plus the one off Sinestro Corps War tie in issues. It's about 45 issues worth of comics.

Vyer

I have been digging deep into Image for the first time thanks to the humble bundle and I am rather blown away by just about everything I have been reading. Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, Alex + Ada, Wicked + Divine, etc.

I mean how are they easily running circles around Marvel and DC with quality like this? I mean it is not even comparable, they are just on another level it seems. Add in the fact how pro-consumer they are (everything being DRM free and available in CBZ/CBR is something I did not realize was even an option after focusing mostly on DC/Marvel).

I am mostly mad at myself for waiting this long to give them a go. I honestly don't know if I ever want to go back to DC and Marvel outside of the handful of creator-owned work they publish and handful of titles that really are unique like Hawkeye. Stuff like Convergence, Secret Wars, etc seem so stuck in the past by comparison.

Image is great, they've become the main chunk of my pull list these days. But I think a straight comparison is a little unfair. Those projects are generally creator owned, and creative teams aren't necessarily constrained by any kind of history, editorial, corporate targets, film links, etc. etc. their big advantage is freedom.

It doesn't mean, IMO, that there's no place for both though. I think the usual capes stuff is appealing in it's own right, and obviously so do the creators; it's why you will often see so many do work for the Big 2 along with their Image stuff. I still like the capes/superhero stuff and all the things that come along with it like events and crossovers and all that is part of the package (sometimes for better or worse). Makes sense to get burned out on it from time to time and step away for a while, of course. But that stuff will always be a part of my love of comics.

don't know if there's anything bigger than the Invincibles omnibus. Shit is 60 issues fam...1500+ pages...

you could work out with that mothafucka, defend your home from invaders, stop a bullet in a gunfight, and prop up your bookcase

I am mostly mad at myself for waiting this long to give them a go. I honestly don't know if I ever want to go back to DC and Marvel outside of the handful of creator-owned work they publish and handful of titles that really are unique like Hawkeye. Stuff like Convergence, Secret Wars, etc seem so stuck in the past by comparison.

Image has been killing it for a few years now. Eric Stephenson is the guy thats really taken the company to the next level. They've basically given the best writers in the business free reigns to do whatever they want. Since some of these writers have already made their bones writing DC and Marvel comics, they have the money to pay for some very good artists and colorists as well. Its been very very healthy for the industry.

tim1138

don't know if there's anything bigger than the Invincibles omnibus. Shit is 60 issues fam...1500+ pages...

you could work out with that mothafucka, defend your home from invaders, stop a bullet in a gunfight, and prop up your bookcase

I saw that in a shop once and laughed at how ridiculously huge it was.

That first Green Lantern omnibus is huge y'all, it collects all of GL from Rebirth through Sinestro Corps War, GLC Recharge and the GLC Sinestro Corps issues, plus the one off Sinestro Corps War tie in issues. It's about 45 issues worth of comics.

I'd buy it, but Rebirth - Blackest Night burnt me out on Green Lantern the first time I read it.

Thanks, didn't know they finally released the Omnibus version! Looks pretty good! Very tempting to get these and a housewarming gift with the leftover money...

What are your impressions? Would they make a nice wedding gift? More importantly, can they honestly be used for a re-read of the entire series?

You should order from here if you are in the US. No tax and free shipping but more importantly, they will arrive in much better shape than from Amazon.

http://www.instocktrades.com/

I have them, and still don't know what exactly I'm missing.

Absolute Sandman 5 and Absolute Death should have been one book. They are rather expensive for what they contain.

Absolute Sandman 5 has

Sandman: Endless Nights
2 version of Sandman: Dream Hunters (Novella and Comic).
Sandman: Midnight Theatre

If you mean the Invisibles Omnibus, yeah it is a pain. Am reading through it right now.

Think I'll pass on GL omni. I have the run and GLC in TPBs until the new 52 renumbering. Things on my radar are Scalped Deluxe and Absolute Y: The Last Man though over the next few months. I suppose vol 2 and 3 of casanova too.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I saw that in a shop once and laughed at how ridiculously huge it was.

For some dumb reason, I put that one on the top shelf of my bookcase. If that shit were to fall, it'd go straight through my floor into my neighbor's apt.

Owzers

Axis #9: Basically nine issues worth of swearing at Marvel and Remender, not so random 3/10. This book exists to take money from us and little else.

Cheska

Is this the largest omnibus to date? I thought Big Damn Sin City was bigger, but it has about 200 less pages.

tim1138

For some dumb reason, I put that one on the top shelf of my bookcase. If that shit were to fall, it'd go straight through my floor into my neighbor's apt.

I'm surprised it hasn't fallen through your bookshelf like Darkseid collapsing through creation in Final Crisis.

Finished my SiP run. Man even knowing where the story was going the ending was still very powerful for me. Amazing series. Even better than I remember it. Thanks to comic-Gaf for setting up a reading group that gave me the motivation to reread it again.

Now everyone else hurry up and finish it so we can talk about it!

That's enough reading for one day. This series and characters are going to stay with me for a while

Owzers

My best summary for Axis is that it's a book with panels of people fighting but it's not a fight book. Just random panels of people punching each other in no particular order. It also reminds me that the Royal Rumble is today, the AXIS of wrestling events.

Axis is the reason why i didn't pre-order Remender's Rage of Ultron OGN, i have no faith in him when it comes to Marvel and things based off hype.

Bii

Pages are larger in Big Damn Sin City though. (Library Edition sized pages).

I still need to get that. Matter of fact, I don't own any omnibuses. Still trying to decide what I should get as my first.

On an unrelated note, I was watching the Bulls vs Heat game just now and Hassan Whiteside is beasting it. He finished with a triple-double (12 blocks!) and the in the post-game interview, he told the reporter he wanted to boost his NBA 2K rating up. haha

Zombine

Banned

Personally I think they look much classier than the absolute editions. They are leather bound and etched, and the top of each page is black. I got both of them for $160 and I couldn't be more thrilled with them.

I just ordered vol. 4-5 of Wolfsmund with 6 on the way in April. Tuesday for me is Absolute Batman & Robin, Absolute Batman Inc, and The Green Lantern Omnibus. Goddayum it's good to be back.

What sorts of jobs do you fine ComicGaf people have?
I am not for one second suggesting some people have easier jobs or don't work hard. I just find it interesting to hear about what sort of people use frequent this thread and people reading in work. When people read in work is it just at break/lunch time or are there jobs where there is a fair bit of down time and you can read in between busier times? If so, I think I want one of those jobs.

Currently on placement in an electricals shop, doing computer/phone repairs, setting up FTA boxes for cord-cutters and some shop duties. Will find out if I get the job in a few weeks.

It also reminds me that the Royal Rumble is today, the AXIS of wrestling events.

You just crossed a line. At least the Rumble is only $9.99 (which somehow translates to €12.99 here, dat pricing logic).

Everyone knows the Royal Rumble is the Image #1 of wrestling anyway. By the time we get to the third arc, WrestleMania, it's settled into a groove and can be collected in a nice hardcover. Then everyone forgets about it.

tim1138

I finished my Morrison Batman re-read (better every time) and read volumes two and three of East of West. All in all its been a day of great comics.

I finished my Morrison Batman re-read (better every time) and read volumes two and three of East of West. All in all its been a day of great comics.

Nice. I think I have the first or maybe first 2 trades of East of West but think I will stop and just grab HCs when they inevitably release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I read fuck all this weekend, besides a few Cable & the X-Force issues to try and catch up with the other X books

its...alright. I like Dr.Nemesis in it, thats about it. And Domino fucking Colossus, him turning into metal and she going "hmmm I like that"

wait what? o_O

Cheska

Damn, all this talk about re-reading this, and now I can't resist either. Guess I'm starting this today:

vXkX43al.jpg

kd-z

The Green Lantern Omnibus talk reminded me: I had plans to read through Johns' run about a year ago. Rebirth was fun if very functional in the sense of the larger DC/Green Lantern universe. After all, it was supposed to lay the groundwork for the series going forward. But the second trade (No Fear if I recall correctly?) I remember felt completely aimless. Not an arc and not even single-issue stories, just Hal popping in here and there. So I didn't get back to the run since reading it, because tere are two or three more trades between Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War which I've heard is the high point of the run.

So am I mistaken and should give that trade I didn't like another go? Keep reading because it gets really good later? Maybe skip righ to Sinestro Corps War?

Damn, all this talk about re-reading this, and now I can't resist either. Guess I'm starting this today:

vXkX43al.jpg

Catwoman bishoujo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So JELLY.

I knoooow ;_; I'm still reading, but at a much slower pace. I just couldn't keep up with 3 issues a day without getting a little burn out.

I FINISHED. Ha!

I would generally plow through a whole bunch of issues, then take a few days off. This seemed to work better than limiting myself to three issues every day. I also think that the lack of page #s made things a bit more confusing than they should have been. That issue won't exist with Stray Bullets. I checked! Page #s all the way.

The Green Lantern Omnibus talk reminded me: I had plans to read through Johns' run about a year ago. Rebirth was fun if very functional in the sense of the larger DC/Green Lantern universe. After all, it was supposed to lay the groundwork for the series going forward. But the second trade (No Fear if I recall correctly?) I remember felt completely aimless. Not an arc and not even single-issue stories, just Hal popping in here and there. So I didn't get back to the run since reading it, because tere are two or three more trades between Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War which I've heard is the high point of the run.

So am I mistaken and should give that trade I didn't like another go? Keep reading because it gets really good later? Maybe skip righ to Sinestro Corps War?

Skip to sinestro corp war

Fingers crossed you get it...if it's what you want

I really hope I get it. The money is decent (I have no mortgage, almost debt free and no mouths to feed other than my own so I don't need a fortune to live on), the hours are good and I can walk to work and eat lunch at home since I am less than 5 minutes away. Only downside is the workshop I have is kinda cold, but I just wear two t-shirts under my jacket at work now.

I knoooow ;_; I'm still reading, but at a much slower pace. I just couldn't keep up with 3 issues a day without getting a little burn out.
We'll that's because you're wanding into other rereads. Focus! :p at this point were near the end so just read arcs at a time and it goes by fast. It's a quicker read then most comics.

Of course like Freeza kipp has ruined comics because after SiP my desire to read other things is dead. *sigh*

This happens to me on a number of shows, books, comics. When I read them, especially in a binge fashion I get into a funk when it's over. It usually stems from not being able to see characters inlove interact and just hang out anymore. It's weird I know

I dunno, ask Domino I guess

I CAN'T, SHE ISN'T REAL!

Though I guess it boils down to a basic physics question. Does matter retain temperature during / after the act of transmutation? I imagine the transmutation itself would require energy, and thus might add additional heat to the equation anyway.

Top Bottom