• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Fucking BRUTAL. The art is still gorgeous though.

I did enjoy the surprise
breasts all in your face
out of nowhere. Especially great when I was reading it at work. Another shock factor of a different sort just because there hadn't been anything of the sort up to that point.

Zombine

Banned
I did enjoy the surprise
breasts all in your face
out of nowhere. Especially great when I was reading it at work. Another shock factor of a different sort just because there hadn't been anything of the sort up to that point.

I think we can agree that Grete is absolute badass. That
scuffle she had on the pass where she killed those dudes
was insane.

Edit:

vader.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
I have been digging deep into Image for the first time thanks to the humble bundle and I am rather blown away by just about everything I have been reading. Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, Alex + Ada, Wicked + Divine, etc.

I mean how are they easily running circles around Marvel and DC with quality like this? I mean it is not even comparable, they are just on another level it seems. Add in the fact how pro-consumer they are (everything being DRM free and available in CBZ/CBR is something I did not realize was even an option after focusing mostly on DC/Marvel).

I am mostly mad at myself for waiting this long to give them a go. I honestly don't know if I ever want to go back to DC and Marvel outside of the handful of creator-owned work they publish and handful of titles that really are unique like Hawkeye. Stuff like Convergence, Secret Wars, etc seem so stuck in the past by comparison.

I have been digging deep into Image for the first time thanks to the humble bundle and I am rather blown away by just about everything I have been reading. Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, Alex + Ada, Wicked + Divine, etc.

I mean how are they easily running circles around Marvel and DC with quality like this? I mean it is not even comparable, they are just on another level it seems. Add in the fact how pro-consumer they are (everything being DRM free and available in CBZ/CBR is something I did not realize was even an option after focusing mostly on DC/Marvel).

I am mostly mad at myself for waiting this long to give them a go. I honestly don't know if I ever want to go back to DC and Marvel outside of the handful of creator-owned work they publish and handful of titles that really are unique like Hawkeye. Stuff like Convergence, Secret Wars, etc seem so stuck in the past by comparison.

Yeah, Image is really killing it. I got into them last year and I'm glad I did. Sex Criminals and Deadly Class are too good.

Yeah...
too bad they're all dead.

The
daughter
survived! And I'm going to assume the shit is going to hit the fan now that
William is back
. Also, I fucking love Wolfram. He is so gloriously smooth as a villain. The way he
tricks people... Lying about the pin hole in the travel documents...

Zombine

Banned
The
daughter
survived! And I'm going to assume the shit is going to hit the fan now that
William is back
. Also, I fucking love Wolfram. He is so gloriously smooth as a villain. The way he
tricks people... Lying about the pin hole in the travel documents...

I don't think that
any sort of death scene for Wolfram will feel satisfying. He would have to be eaten by crows while alive then set on fire.

tim1138

My favorite detail is Evil Damian goes for the ol' Bane Knightfall favorite breaking backs over his knee, but it doesn't work because Damian's got that metal spine, remember?

There was originally going to be a line of dialog referencing that, Damian was going to say "reinforced spine, stupid!" They axed it because they thought it would have interrupted the flow of the fight and messed with Burnham's brilliant paneling.

There was originally going to be a line of dialog referencing that, Damian was going to say "reinforced spine, stupid!" They axed it because they thought it would have interrupted the flow of the fight and messed with Burnham's brilliant paneling.

If I remember correctly, that was Burnham's suggestion. Cooler(balder) heads prevailed.

Zombine

Banned
I don't think I've ever been as legit shook from a comic book fight sequence as this one.
ikari3.jpg

The original run of Waid's Daredevil is full of moments like these. It's unfortunate that act two has been burried under the weight of the new price point (IMO).

I know Bii still digs it, but it's definitely lost its thunder and I'm glad it's ending.

The original run of Waid's Daredevil is full of moments like these. It's unfortunate that act two has been burried under the weight of the new price point (IMO).

I know Bii still digs it, but it's definitely lost its thunder and I'm glad it's ending.

yea Act 2 isn't bad but it feels like an epilogue or just coasting to a finish line. Not a sense of renewed energy of a new location or relaunch

Owzers

What comic is that?

That was Rocket #7 whose cover started to curl as soon as i took it out of the bag/board dcbs shipped it in. It's not the first Marvel comic to do that either, it's a common thing. Marvel has the only paper stock where i accidentally nicked a page just by turning it.

Zombine

Banned
yea Act 2 isn't bad but it feels like an epilogue or just coasting to a finish line. Not a sense of renewed energy of a new location or relaunch

I'm hoping that NY/CA get separate collections, because my interest is only in the first half of the story.

Owzers

Image paper tho. So nice.

They downgraded paper quality too, i remember when Walking Dead was printed on thick stock and now it's ....paper....thin. It's a book by book thing though, i think. With Marvel it's the whole line.

I'm trying to remember what happened in AXIS #8 as i'm about to read issue #9 and i can't think of it outside of inverssssssssssssssion and sirens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
did DD think that dude (lady?) was also blind and then oops, not so much?

They downgraded paper quality too, i remember when Walking Dead was printed on thick stock and now it's ....paper....thin. It's a book by book thing though, i think. With Marvel it's the whole line.

I'm trying to remember what happened in AXIS #8 as i'm about to read issue #9 and i can't think of it outside of inverssssssssssssssion and sirens.

I remember reading somewhere that Image lets creators decide what stock paper they want to use

tim1138

I'm pretty sure the type of paper stock used in Image books is decided by the creators. I seem to recall reading that somewhere recently.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't think I've ever been as legit shook from a comic book fight sequence as this one.
ikari3.jpg

One of my favorite changes of my Comictaste in 2014 is that I now really like Artists who draw much more colorful and brighter. People like Marcos Martin, Samnee or the dude who works with Dan Slott on Silver Sufer.

I still love guys like Epting or Mike Deodato Jr. with their much more realistic style, but I like that I opened up my taste regarding different approaches :)

Boogiepop

Got halfway through the second Hickman FF Omnibus last night. That was definitely some good stuff, really enjoyed it. I will say
it's almost a bit of a shame that they brought Johnny back so soon though. Doesn't really feel like Peter got a chance to fit into the team. But I was totally going "oh, that is so one of those types of deaths that's going to be easily written off" when I saw it, and I suppose better here and well written than me having to look up where it got undone in some later run. Also kind of hilarious in retrospect that I remember that death getting thrown around as big news and stuff
. But yeah, very nice, can't wait to read the rest. Only complaint is that I didn't really like the artist who was
drawing the parts with the kids during that big climax. His Val in particular looked super off to me

Owzers

I'm pretty sure the type of paper stock used in Image books is decided by the creators. I seem to recall reading that somewhere recently.

Yeah i read that too somewhere....maybe it was all a dream.

But anyways, I now blame Kirkman for walking dead's reduced paper quality. Man hit the big time and first to go is paper quality.

Rocket Racoon seems like a great book to read on MU. It's still KINDA fun. Just removed Rocket #9 from my dcbs order. Feels bad :/

Thoughts on buying the Absolute Sandman collection (V1-5) as a wedding gift for someone who loved the series when introduced to it 5 years ago? Worth it at 325$?

Top Bottom