• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Brubaker's strength has always been spy / crime fiction. Which is why he's amazing at stuff like Daredevil and Winter Soldier, in addition to the obvious stuff like Criminal and Velvet.

I've bought his Catwoman that have been coming out/Gotham Central/Daredevil trades...its sitting over in that pile waiting to be read.

Drayco21

I really liked Fraction's Iron Fist and the first half of Hawkeye, but it's the only stuff from him to ever do anything for me. I remember his Iron Man was one of the first books I ended up trade waiting on because I couldn't stand reading it in singles anymore.

I haven't read his X-Men, Iron Man, and Thor but I love Hawkeye, Sex Criminals, and Casanova so Fraction's cool with me.

I have the first issue of Ody-C and have yet to read it. I opened up the ridiculous 8-page spread, laughed, and closed it.

OK done with whedon's Astonishing. Bye Kitty, I'll see you on another book soon enough I'm sure.

OK so now what? I notice Messiah Complex is on MU as an "event" (as in they include every relevant issue from different series), but for example Schism isn't.

I'm just pulling random events out of my, I have no clue when they happen relative to what I've just read. Well Messiah must be close since the next Astonishing issue is after it.

So...suggestions? Kinda lost here

Trying to remember my X-Men history here

2005 was House of M, which was a bunch of alternate universe stuff. All you need to know is its not good and Scarlet Witch said "No More Mutants" which cast a spell that removed like 99% of the mutations on Earth except for the popular X-Men characters, basically. Which was a really dumb status quo that hung over the series for years. Uncanny had Claremont, which wasn't nothing, then Brubaker fucked around in space for a year. X-Men had a Milligan run that was really bad, but the start of Carey's run has one great X-men story called "Supernovas" that I recommend, with Chris Bachalo. Its X-Men #188-193.

2007-08 was Messiah Complex. The concept behind that one in that in the wake of the "No More Mutants" spell, no more mutants are being born anymore, ever. BUT HOLD ON NIGGA CEREBRO ZOOM IN ON CANADA MY DUDE, there's a small blip, a new baby mutant has been born! So for the next 12 issues, crossing over with various titles, a bunch of groups want that new mutant baby.

-X-Men of course, thinking its the key to saving their mutant race
-The Purifiers, evil religious folks wanting to snuff mutants out.
-Mr. Sinister and his Marauders, for his own nefarious(some will say sinister) purposes
-The Acolytes, followers of Magneto
-Lady Deathstrike and her Reavers, cyborg jerks
-Predator X, who is just this giant unkillable monster created by scientist to hunt mutants
-Cable, who is mysterious and very 90s

So basically they just play hot potato with the McGuffin(the baby!) for 12 issues, and its actually pretty good as far as X-crossovers go, and gave the franchise a bit of a direction afterwards. Uncanny X-Men had Cyclops and the team moving out to San Francisco. X-Men became X-Men Legacy with started out as a "hey remember this old Claremont X-Men story" anthology starring Charles Xavier(and if you wanna see Danger try and get her revenge against ol' Chuck, this is the series) before morphing into a Rogue solo ongoing while nobody was looking. Cable got his own book, as he ended up with the baby(named Hope, of all things) as his time-traveling adventures raising her up and running away from a bald scary black man named Bishop. X-Force launched, starring Wolverine and a bunch of non-Wolverines, and its very grim-grim dark and snikt-snikt-bub and don't read it. And PAD's X-Factor was still PAD's X-Factor

Honestly though, my favorite X-Men book of this period was Ultimate X-Men by Brian K. Vaughn and various good artists(Brendon Peterson, Andy Kubert, mostly Stuart Immomen). It started out as just a fill-in arc, since X-Men movie director Bryan Singer was suppose to come on board...that never materialized so BKV just kept writing for 20 issues. It doesn't really have a beginning and ending like new x-men or Astonishing, its still like a transitional period, but its just good ol' fashioned superhero team book stories. Small, likable cast of characters(much more like the 616 versions compared to the annoying Mark Millar types they started as), very sharp artwork, romantic teen love triangles, twisty sub-plots, cool action, breezy pacing. Good stuff.

2009 was...nothing. X-Books were still in that post-House of M status quo funk that nobody could do anything with and Greg Land was drawing Uncanny X-Men. Best X-Book was Jason Aaron's Wolverine: Weapon X.

2010 there was another crossover called Second Coming...don't remember much. Nightcrawler died cuz he teleported into a guy's arm like an idiot. Wolverine: Weapon X is still good tho, and I DEFINITELY recommend Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine by Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert. Only really great thing to come out of Second Coming was Uncanny X-Force, which you're reading I hope. Kieron Gillen and Steve Sanders had a very short-lived but energetic and likable S.W.O.R.D. ongoing that never got past the initial 5 issues, but its good. Read that.

2011 Uncanny X-Force ruled everything, but Gillen writes some good stuff here and there. Generation Hope, which is about Hope(that baby would-be messiah, now grown into a young woman), leading a group of a few new mutants that spun out of her birth. There's also the story arc about how they got Kitty out of that bullet(Magneto using his magnetic powers, naturally), but its all Greg Landish don't read that shit. The better one is the next one with Gillen/Dodson, its actually a sequel to the Breakworld at bit, Uncanny X-Men #535-538. That's a good one. Schism, the X-Men event comic, happens this year, which breaks up the X-Men from San Francisco, some following Wolverine back to the Westchester mansion to start the school again, and some staying in Cyclops' army in San Francisco. Its not that great, but its five issues by Jason Aaron and some decent-to-great artists, and if you wanna see Cyclops being an asshole and the divide showing up, this is the one to read.

2012 has Uncanny X-Men in an almost decent shape with Gillen as the solo writer...its AMAZING how mediocre this book has been for 20 years in Claremont's absence, despite the array of not-UN-talented writers and artists who took over the series(including Claremont himself!). All the books people recommend are never the original mothership of the franchise(X-Statix, New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor, etc). Art is inconsistent of course, some really crappy Greg Land lookin' issues, but its got some great moments, including a Mr. Sinister solo issue and a look inside Cyclops mind when he's possessed by the Phoenix, that I would put up with it if I'm reading it on Marvel Unlimited. Its Uncanny X-Men (2011-12) #1-20. Its even better if you read S.W.O.R.D. before hand, because he wraps up some plot threads from that comic and uses a really great bad guy from that clipped run. This is also where all your Cyclops Was Right shit is from, so if you here for that, this is it.

There's also Wolverine and the X-Men, by Jason Aaron, Bachalo, Bradshaw, Allred, etc. Its a very lighthearted book, although opinions differ on it post-AvX. I'd recommend you read if you got it on Marvel Unlimited tho, there's some good stuff in here, and it works in concert with Uncanny X-Men.

Which brings you up to 2013/14, with the House of M curse finally lifted by Scarlet Witch and Hope, and Bendis took over the main books. Now some people are fans of Bendis team books; I am not one of those people. You might be though, so try All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men (2013) (yes they renumbered it again, get used to that). There are two X-Force books, but they're trash, Astonishing is irrelevant, X-Men is a Brian Wood comic, meh...I got my soapy x-flavored thrills from Uncanny Avengers in those days. Stick with that book after that initial story arc and Havok's speech, it quickly becomes super compelling superhero comics, especially if you read Remender's Uncanny X-Force since it follows up on a lot of its threads.

I bolded my recommendations, but the tl;dr version:

-"Supernovas", X-Men #188-193
-Ultimate X-Men #46-60, Annual #1, 61-65
-Wolverine: Weapon X #1-16
-Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine #1-6
-S.W.O.R.D #1-5
-Generation Hope
-"Breaking Point" Uncanny X-Men 535-538
-Uncanny X-Force (2010)
-Schism
-Uncanny X-Men (2011-2012) #1-20
-Wolverine and the X-Men #1-42
-Uncanny Avengers #1-24

Lot of junk X-Men comics out there, you gotta sift through 'em for the gems.

MG310

OK done with whedon's Astonishing. Bye Kitty, I'll see you on another book soon enough I'm sure.

OK so now what? I notice Messiah Complex is on MU as an "event" (as in they include every relevant issue from different series), but for example Schism isn't.

I'm just pulling random events out of my, I have no clue when they happen relative to what I've just read. Well Messiah must be close since the next Astonishing issue is after it.

So...suggestions? Kinda lost here

Astonishing was delayed a lot and Whedon kept his stuff separate from the crossovers...so there's some overlap in release dates.

Had to check Wikipedia but Messiah Complex is right after Giant Size Astonishing X-Men since chracters discuss Kitty being gone during that event.

EDIT: JC nailed it.

frye

ok but

which of those have Cable and/or Gambit

Cable's in Cable, chilling with Hope in the future running away from Bishop theoretically being Lone Wolf to Hope's Cub but in reality just a whole lotta wheel-spinning for the wet fart that was Second Coming. I don't think Gambit's in anything that significant until the X-23 solo series?

also i was reading that JC mega-post nodding my head in recognition until the end when i was like "yo damn i've read way too many of these shitty fuckin comics"

ok but

which of those have Cable and/or Gambit

Gambit kinda fucked around with Rogue(who FINALLY got control of her powers in X-Men Legacy, so he finally got in there after like 15 years of lust) in X-Men Legacy, made background appearances in X-Men Second Coming, was in this one story with Storm hunting Dracula because Claremont, IDK, Chris Bachalo drew it

prv6119_pg7.jpg

he got his own going for awhile, because some X-Editors is like, "lets try that again", and just like in 2001 and 2005, it got cancelled pretty quickly...I heard it wasn't totally terrible? Now he's on PAD's X-Factor, which will also soon be cancelled...nigga can't catch a break.

Cable came out of Messiah Complex with his own book, as he was raising hope across time running from Bishop on some Terminator shit. He died in Second Coming, finally releasing the techno-organic virus and holding the portal open for his bros to escape. He got better tho. Was in one crappy X-Force book called "Cable and the X-Force", now he's on another crappy X-Force book simply titled "X-Force".

also i was reading that JC mega-post nodding my head in recognition until the end when i was like "yo damn i've read way too many of these shitty fuckin comics"

I thought to myself "I read a LOT of Greg Land comics. Comics that I paid money for. What am I doing with my life". Bit of an existential crisis

ViewtifulJC: Reading bad X-Men comics so you don't have to

MG310

I think Gambit was in that "This is called X-Men Legacy but this shit is really about Rogue and also Frenzy" book.

Thinking about those Land books, we got two nearly identical Madelyne Pryor jobs extra hard stories between that and Wood's X-Men. Both were "Sisterhood of Evil Mutants" stories too.

Boogiepop

So, how worried should I be that Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus 1 is currently "unavailable" on IST? That was on my "pick up later when it wouldn't be fiscally irresponsible" list based on what you guys have said about the title, so it's a little unnerving to see that and I'm hoping it's not in a situation where it won't be coming back already.

fertygo

Cable came out of Messiah Complex with his own book, as he was raising hope across time running from Bishop on some Terminator shit. He died in Second Coming, finally releasing the techno-organic virus and holding the portal open for his bros to escape. He got better tho. Was in one crappy X-Force book called "Cable and the X-Force", now he's on another crappy X-Force book simply titled "X-Force".
ElNarez gon get ya'.

Thanks brehs

I forgot Gambit was in X-23. I keep forgetting that that was a thing, and that it was pretty good. need to put those in my next order.

I think Gambit was in that "This is called X-Men Legacy but this shit is really about Rogue and also Frenzy" book.

Thinking about those Land books, we got two nearly identical Madelyne Pryor jobs extra hard stories between that and Wood's X-Men. Both were "Sisterhood of Evil Mutants" stories too.

Ah, Madelyne Pryor. Never really stood a chance as a character. Started off a Jean Grey proxy because Claremont was pissed Shooter had them kill the real Jean off in Dark Phoenix Saga and gave his boy Cyclops an identical version to marry and retire with. Then Shooter brings Jean back without even telling Claremont and form up X-Factor, the original X-Men for nostaglia(who the FUCK has nostaglia for the original X-Men????). So Claremont has to write some half-assed reason for Scott Summers straight up abandoning his wife and child(Cable!) to go back with Jean and X-Factor which hunts mutants(?) but not really(?????). So the only way to make Cyclops, Mr. X-Men himself, NOT look like a total asshole forever is to character assassinate Madelyne Pryor, turning her into a vengeful Goblin Queen who unleashes demons on New York City and has to die so Scott won't feel too conflicted about staying with the real Jean.

Messi

I read the two most recent Captain Marvel issues. Seriously love this book now. It is just a redicilous adventure book. The 100th solo issue was really well done. With the different art and 3 characters telling this story.

MG310

I read the two most recent Captain Marvel issues. Seriously love this book now. It is just a redicilous adventure book. The 100th solo issue was really well done. With the different art and 3 characters telling this story.

Those two were the only ones I've really enjoyed out of the current run. 100 actually kinda delivers on what I would have liked out of the first run.

So, how worried should I be that Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus 1 is currently "unavailable" on IST? That was on my "pick up later when it wouldn't be fiscally irresponsible" list based on what you guys have said about the title, so it's a little unnerving to see that and I'm hoping it's not in a situation where it won't be coming back already.

Yeah unfortunately, it looks like that one is going to sell out from all the good places pretty soon. Closeto being out of print I think. I was also looking to get one.

Messi

Those two were the only ones I've really enjoyed out of the current run. 100 actually kinda delivers on what I would have liked out of the first run.

The first arc was middling but I agree that the last two were enjoyable. More of this please. Carols niece (?) is adorable.

Captain... Marvel...?? Oh Carol Danvers.

jk messi

I don't understand :/

Fintan

Cheers for all the X-Men recommendations, ViewtifulJC. A lot of stuff there that I haven't read.

I have read BKV's Ultimate X-Men though. Shame it didn't really have a proper ending though and going from Vaughan to what Kirkman produced was incredibly disappointing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait House of M is before Messiah Complex? So it already happened between me reading new x-men and astonishing, but there was zero mention of it???

I actually read the first issue of the new Captain Marvel run recently and liked it, more than most other Marvel #1s i've read lately

sidenote DRIFTER is still good space-noir-western comics y'all

MG310

Wait House of M is before Messiah Complex? So it already happened between me reading new x-men and astonishing, but there was zero mention of it???

Whedon didn't want any part of that. Hell, Marvel didn't want any part of it after like 6 months. We're still paying for that storyline today.

I think Moonstar and Jubilee are the only still depowered mutants and they got substitute powers eventually.

Read Peter David's madrox mini and then x-factor (not the all new run). The best xmen book after whedons run of the 2000s

Just beware there's times midway through the run he gets stuck with bottom feeder artists. The worst of the worst

Zombine

Banned
Here is the main problem with Bendis All-New X-Men run:

That dude is so trash, and such a fucking awful, self-indulgent writer that he completely overlooked the fact that All New could have been a complete reboot, and he could have sent the original mutants back in time to fix their past before we reach The Days of Bendis Future.

For Marvel, it could have been a way to revisit arcs and change events of the past, while introducing new readers to heroes and villains that they may have otherwise not known about due to the extensive amount of horse shit that is part of my favorite universe.

Sure, that idea may technically offset the entire Marvel universe, but this is coming from the company that cancels their good books and let's this asshole do whatever he wants.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just searched house of M on MU... 49 issues >_> yeeeeeeeeah I think I'll skip that

Messiah Complex 19 issues, that's better and most of it is X stuff, not spiderman and ironman. Think I'll read it

Thanks for the encyclopedic information JC

And no I haven't finished uncanny X-Force, I actually stopped at issue 7 (no reason just got sidetracked by all the other stuff)

That dude is so trash, and such a fucking awful, self-indulgent writer that he completely overlooked the fact that All New could have been a complete reboot, and he could have sent the original mutants back in time to fix their past before we reach The Days of Bendis Future.

For Marvel, it could have been a way to revisit arcs and change events of the past, while introducing new readers to heroes and villains that they may have otherwise not known about due to the extensive amount of horse shit that is part of my favorite universe.

Now, only the anti-Bendis can save us.

Though I still like ANXM pretty good. It's not lol-bad like his Guardians run.

Sure, that idea may technically offset the entire Marvel universe, but this is coming from the company that cancels their good books and let's this asshole do whatever he wants.
I like that premise more. People say dc is obtuse in the past but explaining the two cyclops and xmen to people is really tough to pull off.

I read like 7 issues of Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy and I don't remember anything happening besides Angela appearing. It was just a completely dull and boring comic with pretty art.

Zombine

Banned
I like that premise more. People say dc is obtuse in the past but explaining the two cyclops and xmen to people is really tough to pull off.

One of my goals in life is to officially fix X-Men. My creator owned stuff will be the Trojan horse to get Marvel's dick hard, and then I'll swoop in and jerk it all over my pages.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Image Expo is this Thursday!

featuring:
Brian K Vaughan
Todd MacFarlane (new miniseries)
Marjorie Liu (mystery project)
Scott Snyder
Jeff Lemire
Emi Lenox (mystery project)
Emma Rios
James Robinson
Brandon Graham (showing more 8House)
+ surprise guests

Presumably more of Injection from Ellis, Shalvey and Bellaire will be shown. They just launched a tumblr for the comic, announced a specific date of May 13th for the debut, and Ellis says more will be seen this week.

---

Also, first pages for Lemire and Nguyen's Descender are up for viewing here.

fertygo

Eva is from the Bendis Uncanny X-Men run. We're shitting on All-New X-Men right now.

But she on their annual too!

Here's what happened currently on both run btw.

Uncanny: Another cycle of megakiller mutant appeared, Scott descent into Kim-Jong-un, time travel hijink.

All-new: Multiverse hijink, Young Jean hitting on Miles.

Zombine

Banned
There is going to be at least one book on that list that is our #1 for the month that is forgotten until the Deluxe HC comes out.

PsychBat!

Banned
Sad this is, I was actually looking forward to Bendis' Guardians. I never thought that he would stay so close to the Earth.
EDIT: Damn Zombine, I didn't know you didn't like Bendis too.
1082.gif

Just searched house of M on MU... 49 issues >_> yeeeeeeeeah I think I'll skip that

While I still wouldn't recommend "House of M" the main title is just 8 issues.

Most Marvel events these days are completely told in the main series. They always like to generate lots of other minis or crossovers spilling out of them but you will never miss anything of significance if you just read the main event book.

Im not coming in here saying its a good comic and you should go buy it. But I have been enjoying Tony Daniels Deathstroke. It does have some corny dialog here and there but so far the over all story arc has been entertaining and the art is great.

Here is his Harley.

B6j22oUCcAAz0oL.jpg

I have to ask, what was everyone's favourite 'Nuff Said issue?

Does New X-men really have any competition in that department

most dudes just took the month off story-wise

JMS/JR ASM had a funny one with Aunt May trying to redeem Spider-Man's name now that she knows its her nephew Peter. Busiek Avengers had Kang and his sentinels taking over in quiet domination.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Im not coming in here saying its a good comic and you should go buy it. But I have been enjoying Tony Daniels Deathstroke. It does have some corny dialog here and there but so far the over all story arc has been entertaining and the art is great.

Here is his Harley.

B6j22oUCcAAz0oL.jpg
That's the face of a preteen girl.

Rhaknar

I completely forgot x-statix started off as x-force

What do think of this artist? Ok, I should be more straight forward. This is my wife using her Copic Markers. She just got them and told her she should go to a local con and do commissions for people. Kinda like Ed did a while back.

B6j624hCcAApVWs.jpg

Top Bottom