• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kitty is boning Starlord?

...what?

Drayco21

Kitty is boning Starlord?

...what?

tumblr_nbdqiwOBhM1tob7k5o1_500.png

I miss Cosmic Marvel.

This wasn't actually from Bendis' GOTG, by the way. This panel is from Legendary Star-Lord.

So yeah, this is very much canon.

Sam Humphries made a mess of Uncanny X-Force, and now Kitty Pryde? I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to Marvel, which won't be printed because they got rid of letter pages to sell more ads in the print versions.

Damnit, Marvel.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What a luck that I dont have to read new Cosmic Marvel since I have yet to read Annihilation Conquest, War of the Kings and Thanos Imperative o_O

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
time for some crazy talk

...Im liking Astonishing more than I liked New X-Men o_O

It "feels" more like the X-Men I knew while maintaining the great writting "New" had. Also, it seems more consistant (so far at least, im up to the Breakworld arc now), New X-Men's highs were higher (Riot at Xavier) but its lows were lower I think

Messi

I have quite enjoyed Legendary Star Lord that panel not withstanding. But I have shit taste so take that for what you will.

time for some crazy talk

It "feels" more like the X-Men I knew while maintaining the great writting "New" had. Also, it seems more consistant (so far at least, im up to the Breakworld arc now), New X-Men's highs were higher (Riot at Xavier) but its lows were lower I think

The Breakworld is the last Astonishing X-Men story, and the best to me

there's Warren Ellis stuff later but uh...you don't really need to read that

Rhaknar

The Breakworld is the last Astonishing X-Men story, and the best to me

there's Warren Ellis stuff later but uh...you don't really need to read that

the last as in... youre pretending the rest didnt exist? because im pretty sure I saw more issues up on MU

I have quite enjoyed Legendary Star Lord that panel not withstanding. But I have shit taste so take that for what you will.

A ComicsGaffer sent me a code for the issue that panel's from some months back. I wasn't particularly impressed with that issue, especially when compared to Rocket Raccoon.

I don't know, maybe Legendary Star-Lord #3 as whole is a step down from the rest of the run, but I'm not so sure about picking up the trade.

Drayco21

It's a hell of a lot better than Bendis' Guardians- I'll give Humphries that much. That whole issue was kinda a trainwreck, but the rest of it has been surprisingly solid. I'd probably like it more if the Star-Lord book starred a character who actually acted like Star-Lord, but the movie pretty much killed any chance of that happening forever.

Messi

A ComicsGaffer sent me a code for the issue that panel's from some months back. I wasn't particularly impressed with that issue, especially when compared to Rocket Raccoon.

I don't know, maybe Legendary Star-Lord #3 as whole is a step down from the rest of the run, but I'm not so sure about picking up the trade.

Nah, its all the same. If you didn't enjoy that then I can't see the others changing that.

time for some crazy talk

Yeah, they're both great but I prefer Astonishing as well. It was the series I went back to after I took a year out from comics for my state exams (that and New Avengers, Avengers Disassembled was..... interesting for someone that had followed the Avengers since they were 4, put it that way). It is a regression after Morrison pushes forward the mythos, but Marvel retconned the Magneto stuff that was so interesting, and I tend to like the Dad Comics style of book (think Waid, or Johns without the severed arms) anyway.

Anyone who can appreciate Amanda Conner and Power Girl does not have shit taste

Testify!

Superman #37 was another great issue. I wish I read this before the end of the month because I would have easily replaced Gotham Academy with it. Not that Gotham Academy is bad or anything, but this book always delivers. Seriously hop on if you like Superman. Can't wait for this month's issue.

the last as in... youre pretending the rest didnt exist? because im pretty sure I saw more issues up on MU

there are more issues, but they are not by Whedon/Cassaday/Martin. Its an entirely new creative team, with some new cast members, new styles, ideas, don't continue any of Whedon's plot threads. Unstoppable/Breakworld is pretty much the conclusion, and the Astonishing X-Men stuff that came out of is the same in name only. And its not that great, so you don't really need to read it anyway.

Rhaknar

one thing tho... neither New X-Men nor Astonishing shows any of Cyclops's "downfall"

wheres my dictator Cyke damn it?

one thing tho... neither New X-Men nor Astonishing shows any of Cyclops's "downfall"

wheres my dictator Cyke damn it?

I'm sure there's some stuff about it in the Fraction-era stuff, but when I wanted to read that I started at X-Men: Schism which kicks off the Wolverine/Cyclops divide. Gillen took over for Fear Itself and stayed on for the post-Schism era, his run is good if you can stomach the LAAAAAAAND art.

And it gave us this Cyclops gem:

Rhaknar

wait...Fraction as in Hawkeye Fraction?

MG310

I think there were 24 issues of Whedon.

After that is where all of the Bianchi costume designs come in. This was a dark time. Ribbing everywhere! Crotchburst Dazzler!

I want to say it should go something like Messiah Complex/Cable's solo series, Manifest Destiny, Schism, then it splits into Cyclops Uncanny team and Wolverine & The X-Men, then AvX?

Rhaknar

Wait WTF, where's the conclusion to Breakworld? Issue 24 is by whedon, 25 is by Warren Ellis and has nothing to do with it.

Worse, the info page at the start mentions Messiah Complex so that aparently happened... somewhere.

anaron

What did they say?
They’re both really challenging books to write and create and produce. Both Francesco Francavilla, the artist on Afterlife, and Robert Hack, the artist on Sabrina, produce the art on their titles singlehandedly. And I write both books, on top of my other duties, so scheduling is slippery, to say the least.

And we know it can be a bit — more than a bit — frustrating for our fans, whom we love. But really, it is because we’re absolutely trying to make every single issue special and a work of art.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/03/world-sabrina-2/

Superior Iron Man is so cringeworthy. That scene in issue three with Daredevil. Good lord, so ham fisted, good thing he is following Gillen's offensively bad run.....l

time for some crazy talk

Astonishing is still the best thing Whedon has ever written in his life. I'll always love New X-Men more but the end of AXM with Kitty and the bullet still chokes me up just thinking about it. It's one of the landmark moments in comics history to me.

Rhaknar

OK done with whedon's Astonishing. Bye Kitty, I'll see you on another book soon enough I'm sure.

OK so now what? I notice Messiah Complex is on MU as an "event" (as in they include every relevant issue from different series), but for example Schism isn't.

I'm just pulling random events out of my, I have no clue when they happen relative to what I've just read. Well Messiah must be close since the next Astonishing issue is after it.

So...suggestions? Kinda lost here

I really liked Fractions run on Iron Man. Great examination of the character. Larroca's art in it isn't great though. It's most definitely worth an MU read.

As for what to read next on X-Men hmm Yeah I dont know maybe Gillen or Fractions run on the titles? I really didnt like Messiah Complex.

OK done with whedon's Astonishing. Bye Kitty, I'll see you on another book soon enough I'm sure.

OK so now what? I notice Messiah Complex is on MU as an "event" (as in they include every relevant issue from different series), but for example Schism isn't.

I'm just pulling random events out of my, I have no clue when they happen relative to what I've just read. Well Messiah must be close since the next Astonishing issue is after it.

So...suggestions? Kinda lost here

have you finished Uncanny X-Force yet?

Fraction X-men was kinda blah, I think Brubakers was too...made me want to read none of thier stuff ever

maybe, I don't really remember much of it

Fraction X-men was kinda blah, I think Brubakers was too...made me want to read none of thier stuff ever

maybe, I don't really remember much of it

Brubaker's strength has always been spy / crime fiction. Which is why he's amazing at stuff like Daredevil and Winter Soldier, in addition to the obvious stuff like Criminal and Velvet.

Top Bottom