• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

i couldn't finish astonishing. whedon's writing brings out the heel in me, complete disdain for that man's work.

new x-men was tight though. as per usual with grant morrison it gets bananas but was always enjoyable. what's everybody's opinion on Frank Quitely here?

there's so much impressive detail in his panels, i'm always admiring the work in them. but those faces....something about them makes me nauseous sometimes lol.

Tizoc

thats some bad costumes o_O Also again with the small cast, I'm used to my X-Men teams to be big damn it :(

If you want a book that has a big 'team', I would recommend 'Transformers: More than meets the eyes' my fav. comic series 2 years running.
Apologies for the random plug but your post just reminded me of it =X

Zombine

Banned
sorry for spamming the thread recently btw, just...its exciting to be reading stuff again after like 13 or 14 years away :/

Enthusiasm is more than welcome around here! We love new people and seeing them get involved and watching them fall in love with artists, publishers, writers, ect. It's great to see people come back and have there be so many avenues at this point for you to read wherever you want.

sorry for spamming the thread recently btw, just...its exciting to be reading stuff again after like 13 or 14 years away :/

you really don't have to apologize, comics are pretty cool. Just don't turn into Kipp. He had a rather bubbly enthusiasm for comics after discovering Preacher and X-Statix, but soon he was corrupted and became the enemy of all comic existence.

Stay gold, Rhaknar. Stay gold

Before I pick up Absolute Batman Inc, this is the one with the God-tier Burnham Art, correct?

Yes, he does a few issues in volume 1, and all of volume 2.

There's also some great work from Y. Paquette and Cameron Stewart in the first volume as well.

and one realllllly trash lookin' issue where Batman goes inside the Internet, but whatever

Zombine

Banned
Speaking of Stewart, the guy is definitely next on my list of artists I need prints or a commission from.

2931584-45117723444.jpeg

Stewart is honestly up there with the Sale's/Murphy's/Cooke's Ect where I can tell you what work is his.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Since I received Fear Agent Library Vol 2 for Christmas, I blazed through the first volume again to get back up to speed with what happens. I definitely feel like the

time travel stuff
kind of screws up the pacing in the first volume. It makes it seem like there may be no actual consequences to what happens since it's unclear how everything that happens ties into the
time travel/clone plot

I'm into the second volume now and it seems like it is coming back into focus, but damn, bad things keep happening to Huston.

Such a great series. I enjoyed Vol 1, but Vol 2 was what made the book a favorite of mine.

Like the other guys said, don't apologize! I've really enjoyed reading all your posts. You read through comics like a madman.

and one realllllly trash lookin' issue where Batman goes inside the Internet, but whatever

I almost forgot about that issue. How did that issue even come to exist. It's so terrible. Man am I glad I'll have it in the Absolute format. Haha

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you really don't have to apologize, comics are pretty cool. Just don't turn into Kipp. He had a rather bubbly enthusiasm for comics after discovering Preacher and X-Statix, but soon he was corrupted and became the enemy of all comic existence.

Stay gold, Rhaknar. Stay gold

Im 35. I read comics from like 6 to 24 or something. I have thousands of comics, the real ones. Becoming an enemy of the medium is virtually impossible to me

Boogiepop

Speaking of 90s X-men, does Age of Apocalypse still hold up? Last I heard it did, but I was never in the mood for it.

I actually experienced it for the first time properly... about a year or so back? Borrowed the omnibus from a friend, and I actually wrote a big old thing digging into it, but my google-fu isn't working well enough to dig it up. Long story short though, it's... very, very 90s. I also found that it never really came together right at all and was a bit of a mess, just didn't really do much with its ideas. If you have nostalgia for it then maybe you could still have a solid time with it, but at the very least I wouldn't recommend putting money into reading it.

Boogiepop

I almost forgot about that issue. How did that issue even come to exist. It's so terrible. Man am I glad I'll have it in the Absolute format. Haha

I forget if it ever directly did anything to peg itself as such, but I believe it was an homage/reference to the godawful Batman: Digital Justice thing (which I think I've seen people on here defend before, but it was seriously quite possibly the worst comic I've ever read, notwithstanding old Sonic crap . Bleh.)

Edit: Oh crap, double post, sorry!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
emma: "of course Kitty thinks Im controlling everything you say"
cyke: "heh... wait, youre not right?"
emma: "...you will never see me naked again"

lol. loving Astonishing. Its actually made a better first impression than New did at first

edit: oh hello there Colossus

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

Rhaknar

ooooh this kid that lost his powers just killied himself in the danger room. I smell the Danger arc coming up

I like Danger on all new X-Factor so I'm excited about that arc

Wow, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison was great. Wish I'd read it earlier. If you're even just a bit of a Star Wars fan, it's definitely worth a read.

Rhaknar

yup its the Danger / Danger Room arc. Exciting!

Side note: Really like the art in Astonishing. Its very subdued, not very flashy, but I just like the look of it. Here's a good example of showing off Cyke's powers in a very simple manner:

1308598-aston9bk_super.jpg

I love that its simply a square full of red

edit: I really like her look (already did on all new x-factor). An arc with a sentient danger room is such a smart idea.

danger_girl.jpg

edit: I JUST noticed that Astonishing is written by Joss "Buffy / Avengers" Whedon o_O

KidDork

I loved Claremont back in the Eighties, back when I'd heard about this revamped X-Men and had to get my parents to drive me around the city to try and find a copy of it. (Yes, I'm old.) I can't say he was doing anything stylistically different from the other writers at Marvel of the time, other than perhaps not hiding that his Uncanny X-Men was a superhero soap opera. Everything always seemed to be building towards a tragedy, then we had the recovery, then we the another slow build up. It was great stuff to read as a teenager.

As the years passed, though, it became clear that Claremont wasn't changing as a writer, wasn't growing. It doesn't change the importance of his work and the influence he had on this generation of creators. But sometimes you do one thing right, and that's what you become known for. His longevity on X-Men is to be admired, especially today when someone staying on a title for three years is considered epic. ( I know that the musical writing chairs game is often down to nervous editors, but I always admire writers and artists who stay on a book for a long time.)

Always ready to pour one out for the older Marvel writers.

Burnham/Fairbairn give me that purple stuff in Nameless #1 on sale Feb 4th.

B6iF-cECcAALERG.jpg

Pretty fucking excited for Nameless. Morrison + Horror + Space Sci-fi + dark occultist shit + Burnham = hhNNNNG. prayin ta jayzus shit don't disappoint.

Wow, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison was great. Wish I'd read it earlier. If you're even just a bit of a Star Wars fan, it's definitely worth a read.

Holy shit that's crazy that you bring that up. I literally just finally picked up the HC for that yesterday. Had the singles but just couldn't resist.

Criminally underrated. So fucking good. Alessio's art is fucking stunning.

Whats Cameron Stewart up to these days other than Batgirl? Is he drawing anything?

He drew Multiversity last month. Dunno what else he's up to.

And I'm reading through issues I've been putting off today and I just read through Guardians 3000 #3 and thought it was pretty good. I'm glad to have a Cosmic book to read again. Next up is Superman.

Messi

He's doing that Fight Club sequel for Dark Horse isn't he?

that too

whatever pays the bills, friend

fc_01.jpg

Oh yeah. I love the art but i've never seen Fight Club :(. Come back to girly books Cameron.

He drew Multiversity last month. Dunno what else he's up to.

And I'm reading through issues I've been putting off today and I just read through Guardians 3000 #3 and thought it was pretty good. I'm glad to have a Cosmic book to read again. Next up is Superman.

Did he...

Messi

Lol no but really like, rather than taking the 3 seconds to google it, I would rather hear from someone at ComicGAF why I should be excited about this book other than the kickass art.

I have no idea. Its not in my wheelhouse. I am sure the Morrison peeps will fill you in.

Drayco21

I miss Kitty/Piotr. Fuck off Star-Lord, you're ruined in a post-Bendis world.

Damnit, Marvel. =(

It'll all be okay when it's revealed that he's a Skrull and the real Star-Lord comes back and stops hanging out with Earth heroes all the damn time.

I have to keep telling myself this.

Top Bottom