• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

What do think of this artist? Ok, I should be more straight forward. This is my wife using her Copic Markers. She just got them and told her she should go to a local con and do commissions for people. Kinda like Ed did a while back.

B6j624hCcAApVWs.jpg

Nice! I think she has really strong command of color. Do you have any more samples of her work? I'd be more than happy to give a more in depth critique but I think I'd like to see a few other pieces before making comments in case they don't apply to her work generally.

Nice! I think she has really strong command of color. Do you have any more samples of her work? I'd be more than happy to give a more in depth critique but I think I'd like to see a few other pieces before making comments in case they don't apply to her work generally.

Thanks. That was with just a quick pencil outline then she just free handed the color in there. This piece here is from a poster. Her niece wanted a pencil drawing of Katniss so she did that but still did the color and she added ink in there to make it pop.

B6j_5siCMAAUqn0.jpg

This is a straight up copy from a cover that she did for me with marker/colored pencil hybrid.

BSPTBdRIMAA4bbw.jpg

More

BtRiniNCMAA2Ruk.jpg

B1Pv01cIQAE03Tc.jpg

Bendis is like Brubaker. They can't write a good team book. But Bru finally learned and started sticking to what he does best. I wish Bendis would do the same. Go back to the books like Torso, Alias, Daredevil, etc.

Thanks. That was with just a quick pencil outline then she just free handed the color in there. This piece here is from a poster. Her niece wanted a pencil drawing of Katniss so she did that but still did the color and she added ink in there to make it pop.

Awesome. She's definitely got the chops to sell her work. Judging from what I see here, I think she's got some asymmetrical faces which is a pretty easy fix.

When she's working on a piece, she should hold it up to a mirror or take a photo and flip it. When drawing, you can get very used to what you are drawing so sometimes it gets very difficult to see flaws. Mirroring is one of the best ways to get a fresh look at your work.

I think she should also practice a bit more on how she does hair. It's probably a huge pain in the ass with pencils but I think people are subconciously more attracted to pieces with nicely done hair in them (I have nothing to back this up with haha)

I also think she should try experimenting with watercolors or ink. I'm only saying that because nice color pencils and markers are expensive as fuck and I think it is easier to make a wider array of colors using watercolors/inks.

She should definitely get some pieces going and showcase her work at art shows. I think plenty of people will be interested and react positively to her work.

Pretty fucking excited for Nameless. Morrison + Horror + Space Sci-fi + dark occultist shit + Burnham = hhNNNNG. prayin ta jayzus shit don't disappoint.

Holy shit that's crazy that you bring that up. I literally just finally picked up the HC for that yesterday. Had the singles but just couldn't resist.

Criminally underrated. So fucking good. Alessio's art is fucking stunning.

Crazy, just going through my bookshelf and I forgot I owned this. Just flipped through it and it all came back to me. Such an awesome Vader story. Love how the whole book is about Vader, through someone else's perspective. The art is crazy good. What is this guy doing these days?

B6kJ_fGIUAAzC9T.jpg

Edit - Thanks Ed, I let her read your comments and she appreciated them.

Ok, we have to do this so new post.

From Sean Murphys Twitter.

@Sean_G_Murphy: OPINION POLL: If you could read a 1 shot of a classic video game, WHAT game and WHICH artist? I'd read a Watterson drawn Frogger comic.

Let's take it a bit further, any videogame, and pick writer and artist.

I'll pick Road Rash by Rick Remender and Sean Murphy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
X-Force #116-119, aka x-statix before x-statix

I forgot how wonderfully bizarre / funny / violent this was. Have these guys ever been drawn by any other artists? I'm not sure if I'm ready to see that if so lol

I wonder how that pitch meeting went:

Milligan: "OK I got this idea right... we get rid of Cannonball, Boom Boom, all those established X kids right, instead it's a bunch of new guys with weird powers, its M rated and most of them die in the first issue! Oh and it's drawn by the Madman guy!

Marvel exec: "...whut?"

@Sean_G_Murphy: OPINION POLL: If you could read a 1 shot of a classic video game, WHAT game and WHICH artist? I'd read a Watterson drawn Frogger comic.

Giannis Milonogiannis on Metal Gear. kinda cheating because i think he has fan art out there

JRJR on Streets of Rage

I don't know about the writers but,

Tradd Moore on Streets of Rage

David Aja on Ninja Gaiden

John Romita Jr. on Punch Out

and Marco Checchetto on Metal Gear

Drayco21

I want to read Keith Giffen and Gerardo Sandoval's Fallout.

Dunno about writers but I think Mike Mignola doing a Viewtiful Joe comic would be awesome.

Actually harder than I thought. I like a lot of games but for most of them the artwork is so iconic I have a hard time really imaging them looking different.

Tizoc

I forgot how wonderfully bizarre / funny / violent this was. Have these guys ever been drawn by any other artists? I'm not sure if I'm ready to see that if so lol

Milligan: "OK I got this idea right... we get rid of Cannonball, Boom Boom, all those established X kids right, instead it's a bunch of new guys with weird powers, its M rated and most of them die in the first issue! Oh and it's drawn by the Madman guy!

Your body, soul and mind will not be ready for the feels Rhaknar, they just won't.

PsychBat!

Banned
Poor Rhaknar... Soon to read Messiah Complex and War thinking there's gonna be huge payoff regarding
Hope
only to find out that the big end comes in the form of
AvX

Yeah Duncan Fegredo and Darwyn Cooke both get an issue in there. Some others too but i forget who. All great fill-ins though

frye

Axel Alonso: Bill Jemas, who was Marvel President at the time, told me to take one of the X-Men satellite titles—any title—and do whatever I wanted. No rules or restrictions; which is pertinent in hindsight because the first issue [X-FORCE #116] was rejected by the Comics Code.

I thought X-FORCE was a funny name so I picked that title. Peter Milligan happened to be in town so the two of us met up, and I invited him to get on board the train. I had no idea where we were headed, but hey.

We started with the mutant metaphor [of] hated and feared and decided to flip that. We agreed that if you were to sprout wings in Times Square, not everyone would hate you. Some people would want to be you; some would want to—how can I say this politely?—kiss you, and some would want to put your photo on their product. And X-FORCE was born.

Peter and I talked deep into the night, and the first issue—which decimated the entire team—was pretty much written before he flew home. I knew this was shaping up to be a very idiosyncratic series, and I wanted it to be anchored in a pure, non-cynical joyous art style, and that’s why I called Mike. He was in at word one. A day later, I got character sketches that included a lot of the core cast, including this one doodle that really stood out: a potato-shaped blob with the word “Doop” scrawled under it.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/23827/marvel_75_the_rise_of_the_x-statix

Alonso used to edit for Vertigo which is how he knew Milligan and Ennis and how he got them to jump ship to Marvel for a while.

Early 2000s, just out of bankruptcy Marvel was really interesting time

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Poor Rhaknar... Soon to read Messiah Complex and War thinking there's gonna be huge payoff regarding
Hope
only to find out that the big end comes in the form of
AvX

Actually I'm still deciding what to do regarding Messiah Complex or x-men in general. I read some special for MC about some funeral for some kid and then x-men #200, which had rogue, iceman, mystique, cannonball and 2 ladies I've never heard of, I was so confused it turned me off the whole thing

I might just jump into #1s tbh

Edit: also isn't AvX where Cyke throws that huge ether at Magneto about him being nothing like Magneto because he was winning? Lol kinda want to read it just for that

JEKKI

whaaaaaat the heck?!?! does any1 read Doctor Spektor by Mark Waid?

I read thru the first 4 issues and thought about 2 things:

1. that's it? The series actually ends at issue 4... I wonder why it canceled, especially since the final issue took like 3 months to come out after the previous one...even an artist switch midway thru, I bet there's a lot of things going behind the scenes...

2. and none of the story made any sense!!! the issues are so disjointed from one another, and even within them nothing makes any sense... I seriously had to reread some pages to try to understand things but it's just so random!

I donno... I wanted to enjoy this comic for some reason but I really couldnt...

kd-z

I've been out of the comics loop for like six months now and there are two things I just have to ask you guys:
1) wtf is up with Kitty and Starlord? Shouldn't Kitty be riding Iceman's popsicle? :( and shouldn't Starlord be more into hot alien ladies? I guess it's hard to find those in Earth orbit :/
2) What's Kipp's super villain origin story? Did The Omnibus Reading Position turn out to be a genocidal robot hellbent on destroying all of humanity/comics?

Crazy, just going through my bookshelf and I forgot I owned this. Just flipped through it and it all came back to me. Such an awesome Vader story. Love how the whole book is about Vader, through someone else's perspective. The art is crazy good. What is this guy doing these days?

Really saddens me. Outside of some (also phenomenal) covers for Legacy and Thor, I haven't seen much from him. I was really hoping GP would be his big break as his art on Doctor Solar a few years back was also incredible. However, he does have a Prometheus one-shot coming out pretty soon written by DeConnick so I'll definitely be picking that up ta support ma boi.

TO THIS VERY DAY THOUGH. Ghost Prison contains one of the few pages that has actually required me to take a chill pill because of the resulting irl "HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG" it induced.

spoilers? I guess? Idk nobody reads Star Wars :p

3f2c5509f9a770ef1b18474f8cc956a4.jpg

G-G-G-GODDDDDDDDDDLiKE

GAMEPROFF

Banned
JMS/JR ASM had a funny one with Aunt May trying to redeem Spider-Man's name now that she knows its her nephew Peter.
Such a great story. JMS on Spider-Man. Those were the days.
I really loved how she called out on Jonah :D

VJC, you X-Men Companion is awesome. Kudis for that. I would love to read this for some other Teams/Characters.

ThyComicList

DARKHORSE:
HELLBOY & THE B.P.R.D. 1952 #2

DC COMICS:
BATMAN ETERNAL #40
DETECTIVE COMICS #38

DYNAMITE:
SHAFT #2

IMAGE:
DEADLY CLASS #10
FADE OUT #4
GOD HATES ASTRONAUTS #5
HUMANS #3

MARVEL:
ANT-MAN #1 (maybe)
BUCKY BARNES WINER SOLDIER #3 (maybe)
OPERATION S.I.N. #1
PUNISHER #14

The price points and variant schedule differences between DC and Marvel are insane. Marvel really is $3.99-4.99 on every book now? And like 3-4 variants on titles?

Also, Ant-Man is launching at $4.99? Lol?

Messi

It's been a while since someone said anything at all regarding Captain Marvel. It's just that Ms. Marvel's better. :)

Real talk. I enjoy Captain Marvel quite a bit more than Ms Marvel. I know Ms Marvel is the critical darling but I just find myself more drawn to the style of fun/art in Captain Marvel. That's not to say Ms Marvel is bad, it is actually quite good.

Zombine

Banned
Where has Kipp been, anyways? I feel like he might be plotting how to get Absolute Batman Inc for free, and he's consumed by the notion that he has to spend almost $70 on a book.

Where has Kipp been, anyways? I feel like he might be plotting how to get Absolute Batman Inc for free, and he's consumed by the notion that he has to spend almost $70 on a book.

Oh he'll probably just buy it off eBay and then file a dispute claiming he got mailed a brick. #KippAbsoluteProcurementMethod

I didn't realize in March when Batman: Endgame story arc ends there are a bunch of books "doing" Endgame

Batgirl Endgame #1
Arkham Manor Endgame #1
Gotham Academy Endgame #1
Detective Comics Endgame #1

Oohhh.. DCBS has a preorder up for Batman Black & White Dick Grayson by Jock (2nd edition)

Messi

I didn't realize in March when Batman: Endgame story arc ends there are a bunch of books "doing" Endgame

Batgirl Endgame #1
Arkham Manor Endgame #1

I'm interested to see how much damage Joker can do to Batgirl and Gotham Academy. Shame we won't get another instant classic like the death of the family Suicide Squad tie in.

Batgirl Endgame #1
Arkham Manor Endgame #1

Some of them sound tangential. Gotham Academy solicit is like them telling ghost stories while hiding from Jokerized people or something. Purely an attempt to bump sales numbers for the title.

I'm interested to see how much damage Joker can do to Batgirl and Gotham Academy. Shame we won't get another instant classic like the death of the family Suicide Squad tie in.

Realest Talk: Throwaway Harley's is the best change her character(s) has(have) had in a decade.

I fuckin love these Black and White statues.
So addicting, I have Capullo batman, Jae Lee batman, and Harley Quinn so far. Mignola and Manapul statues preordered.... and now probably Jock

wetflame

Pizza Dog
First list of the year:

Most anticipated:
Deadly Class #10
The Punisher #14

Also picking up:
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Detective Comics #38
Hawkeye vs. Deadpool #4
Odyc #2
Spider-Man 2099 #7
Trees #8

Trying out:
Ant-Man #1

Ant-Man does look decent, don't know the history of the character ourside of what was in FF and I think this is a different person, right? Anyway, hopefully it'll be good.

In tangentally related to comics and no-one-really-cares news I got the Trial of Jean Grey GotG/X-Men crossover trade from my secret santa at work, which I've only just managed to get hold of now. And a Batman/Penguin Lego set and lovely 3D Spider-Man's head mug. Nice to know my office approves of my hobbies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Nope, both FF and this new Ant-Man run are Scott Lang.

Oh, huh. I thought I'd heard somewhere that this one was the one that was a bit of a bad guy or something, and I don't remember Scott being like that. I must have been confused. Anyway, good to know I'll know a little more about the character when I pick the book up.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
But $4.99 for an Ant Man book? Really?

Why?

Why would you pay that much for such a low tier character?

Everyone's a low-tier character until they're written well, may as well give it a chance. Would you have expected a book about Hawkeye to be so good if someone had asked you a few years back?

Everyone's a low-tier character until they're written well, may as well give it a chance. Would you have expected a book about Hawkeye to be so good if someone had asked you a few years back?

I think it's more that it's blowing my mind that people are so willing to drop $4.99 on it without a second thought. I'd think twice about a $4.99 Batman book and that's a guaranteed good book.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I haven't seen discussion here about Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin's The Private Eye on their digital distribution "pay what you want" site www.thepanelsyndicate.com

Read that shit people, the last episode is coming soon.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think it's more that it's blowing my mind that people are so willing to drop $4.99 on it without a second thought. I'd think twice about a $4.99 Batman book and that's a guaranteed good book.
I suppose. I'm used to paying more for comics in the UK though so that sort of increase doesn't pack as big of a punch. It's something to think about though I guess. I do need to trim down my pull list somewhat, maybe if I do that I'll find room for Ant-Man. The previews looked good which is why I had it down as a maybe.

I haven't seen discussion here about Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin's The Private Eye on their digital distribution "pay what you want" site www.thepanelsyndicate.com

Read that shit people, the last episode is coming soon.

There was discussion around the first issue's release and I definitely see people bringing it up when new issues are released. It's a good book though, really enjoyed it.

Mindwipe

But $4.99 for an Ant Man book? Really?

Why?

Why would you pay that much for such a low tier character?

Sorry Marvel, but this is why I don't buy many new issues any more. It's literally cheaper for me to buy trades rather than new singles (between Comixology sales and Humble Bundle).

Zombine

Banned
Sorry Marvel, but this is why I don't buy many new issues any more. It's literally cheaper for me to buy trades rather than new singles (between Comixology sales and Humble Bundle.

Not to mention that there is a point where if you're a human being and don't live by yourself, all of that paper and storing all those floppies you might re-read once every 10 years just isn't worth it.

I think it's some weird mindset that us fans/collectors have. You have to consume and collect to be "the biggest fan" or show nobody that you "really love that one character."

Top Bottom