• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
today's MU update...

Hawkeye, Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers World, Secret Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, WATXM, Ghost Rider, Storm #1...

xxLByfM.gif

Dude, stop reading whatvee you are readind and read Alias :D

not on MU :/

Why does everything get better every time Brand and s.w.o.r.d. are involved?

Case in point, this Cable & the x-force arc where they spring some alien criminal from jail

I was actually wondering last night if Brand and SWORD can be in the MCU or if Fox owns them since both were both created in Astonishing X-Men.

Supergirl 38 was another good issue. Things moving along quickly and it ended on another cliffhanger to keep you wanting more. Like GH says all the time, Lupacchino's art is really great and she's doing a killer job on this book. Worth a look for sure if you want to try out another DC comic. I don't think it's Grayson or Superman tier, but it's been solid ever since the new team took over.

I just wish we got to see more of the new costume since I think it looks way better than her original outfit from the New 52. Maybe soon...

Supergirl 38 was another good issue. Things moving along quickly and it ended on another cliffhanger to keep you wanting more. Like GH says all the time, Lupacchino's art is really great and she's doing a killer job on this book. Worth a look for sure if you want to try out another DC comic. I don't think it's Grayson or Superman tier, but it's been solid ever since the new team took over.

I just wish we got to see more of the new costume since I think it looks way better than her original outfit from the New 52. Maybe soon...

Supergirl, Maxima and Comet. The team-up I never knew I wanted.

CBTech

Speaking of Superman. Where should I start reading the New52 Superman? I read the first trade at Barnes and Noble and wasn't very impressed, but I love Superman and want to check out his series. I should probably the New52 Action comics. Read the first couple of issues and thought it was pretty cool.

Speaking of Superman. Where should I start reading the New52 Superman? I read the first trade at Barnes and Noble and wasn't very impressed, but I love Superman and want to check out his series. I should probably the New52 Action comics. Read the first couple of issues and thought it was pretty cool.

Just go straight to Pak and Kuder on Action Comics. Everyone else is fumbling the ball like crazy, even Johns and Romita.

I dunno about Action Comics, but for Superman you can hop in with issue 32 which is where the new creative team takes over

Hey so Im gonna ask a favor out of you guys. I've entered my comic into a contest at webtoons.net Part of how your comic gets judged is if people like your comic so if you guys could rate my comic at http://m.webtoons.com/challenge/episodeList?titleNo=3099 that would be highly appreciated.

Ill draw you a custom avatar as a thanks! I don't know if you have to be registered at the site to rate it but Ill draw a custom avatar for trying anyway.

Hey Ed, voted for you sir. Good luck! I'd love to see your take on the Wendigo from the Hannibal tv show when you've got the time for more avatar drawing.

In other news I had a nice long trip from Jersey to Alabama over the weekend and used that time to catch up completely on Invincible. I used to like Invincible more then Walking Dead, but I feel like they've switched now. Walking Dead was far more compelling for me recently. I also really didn't enjoy what they've done with that female Vilturimite and Invincible. But man Ottely is so freaking good. Shame it seems the release is kinda sporadic.

I'm kind of wary about that Hickman book coming out Wednesday. I LOVE Hickman, but I've never read one of his books from the start. I don't think they'd be very good reading month to month at first.

Also that talk of Rachel Rising couple pages back has me very interested in it. Do I need to read SiP or Echo beforehand like someone mentioned, or are they not connected at all?

People really dug the first AC run with Grant Morrison, so you could try with that. You could give Superman a run from the start to see if you like it. I like the Johns/Romita run on the main title, and the Pak/Kuder run on Action Comics is very well received.

The Morrison action comics run is A++ and I dropped it after that

Superman was Perez at the start I think? It never really got good and then he's off it and they jump around creative teams a bit

I'd personally suggest:

Superman #32 +
Action Comics #25 +
Batman/Superman #1 + or #16 +
Superman/Wonder Woman #1 +
Superman Unchained #1-9

Lobdell sort of screwed around with mainline Superman for a long time and it's OK to trash. Early Action Comics has moments of Morrison amazing and Morrison WTF is this shit. Batman/Superman has been consistently enjoyable, as has Superman/Wonder Woman, imo. Unchained is a little cliche at times but it's very solid.

CBTech

I'd personally suggest:

Superman #32 +
Action Comics #25 +
Batman/Superman #1 + or #16 +
Superman/Wonder Woman #1 +
Superman Unchained #1-9

Lobdell sort of screwed around with mainline Superman for a long time and it's OK to trash. Early Action Comics has moments of Morrison amazing and Morrison WTF is this shit. Batman/Superman has been consistently enjoyable, as has Superman/Wonder Woman, imo. Unchained is a little cliche at times but it's very solid.

I want to read all of those, but that might be TOO much Superman. I don't have the money to read all that stuff. Ah who am I kidding, I'll probably read them anyway. I'll have to see if my local B&N has any of the trades so I can get a feel for which ones I like.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys, fucking Hawkeye #19

fucking Hawkeye #19 you guys

I dont know whats better, Fractions "writting" in a mostly silent issue, or Aja's art with all the sign language stuff

I fucking love this book and its a travesty its ending

I want to read all of those, but that might be TOO much Superman. I don't have the money to read all that stuff. Ah who am I kidding, I'll probably read them anyway. I'll have to see if my local B&N has any of the trades so I can get a feel for which ones I like.

Haha. Sorry. Alot of those are the more recent stuff (there has been a trend of DC really getting things right in the last year or so as far as most of their books are concerned, imo). If you're looking specifically for trades you'll have to wait on some of those unless their from the #1 plus.

Try the first three trades of Action Comics by Grant Morrison or Superman Unchained.

I wouldn't.
okay
guys, fucking Hawkeye #19

fucking Hawkeye #19 you guys

I dont know whats better, Fractions "writting" in a mostly silent issue, or Aja's art with all the sign language stuff

I fucking love this book and its a travesty its ending

Yeah the silent issue was amazing. A lot of people were down on the book because of the pacing and delays but I can't say that I didn't love every single issue. It's been an incredible run.

Rhaknar

why isnt there a DC Unlimited type thing again?

tim1138

So for all five of you reading JL3K who may care, I was just chatting with Howard Porter on Twitter and
Darkseid
will be appearing fairly soon.

CBTech

Tell me about it. I'd be on board in a heart beat. I've always leaned more towards DC so it would be perfect for me. In the meantime, I can check out Marvel characters I only had a passing interest in before.

Gotta protect the floppies

I believe DC has a focus in digital form with their "Digital Firsts", comics that come out weekly (generally one issue from a series per day) that then get collected into physical form a month later. This is where stuff like Injustice, Sensation Comics Wonder Woman, Legends of the Dark Knight, amongst other series are. They're on the cheaper end, $0.99 each. It seems to do well for them as they are often at the top of the top sellers on comixology.

Secret Invasion

Didn anyone like this event at the time? Subtle as a sack of oranges to the gut with its parallels to suicide bombers and general terrorist paranoia.

Gods, Skrulls are just so meh.

Owzers

Bucky Winter Solider #3 and 4: I'm not a big fan of Rudy's art and page layouts, things seem a little too swirly for me. Also not liking the story either, i don't think issue 3 and 4 were set up well. I don't want to rate it because i think this is indeed a case of a book not being for me, probably dropping it in favor of reading it on MU but i will feel guilty if it dies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Welp, thanks to last night's Royal Rumble, it looks like I'll have a few more free hours per week for comics! Gotta look on the bright side...

fauxtrot

Banned
I know. :(

Though seeing the Rock get booed, which is something we haven't seen since his Rocky Maivia days, was weirdly entertaining it its own way...

Top Bottom