• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
cpmcmggggrlg-119946.jpg

I need this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just read the New Avengers that just came out this week.

Celestials and Galactus are apparently dead, shits fucked, Superior Iron Man apparently escaped, and we've got some confirmation that Beyonders = Ivory Kings.

Also, Hank Pym's rocking a pretty awesome beard.

God DAMN. Cannot wait to read this issue.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That for some pretty lame reasons (though I can get some of his complaints).

You need to see this shit.

Is it the usual shitty villians & standard recipe complains?

Edit: :) My Civil War OHC should arrive today. Finally :) Thing got pretty expensive since the movie announcements. Now I need a ok priced House of M OHC.

I bought the first one. €3 for the complete America plus other stuff in a hardback is good value. I might just pick and choose (I collected the first Marvel collection, the one with the black covers and they just sit in boxes as I have no room for 60+ hardcovers on my tiny shelves), but I'm definitely getting Mechanismo and The Apocalypse War which are the next two.

I subscribed. Have a filing cabinet full of these stories from around the 1990's to about 97. Gonna be good to have a set of hardbacks worth everything condensed.

Enjoy

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pretty much

While I understand their point regarding the villains, I cant think of a great Comicbookmovie villain beside TDK-Joker and maybe Ozymandis from Watchmen that really stood out of the masses. But then again, there is nobody who does it much better.

Also I have the feeling that Phase III will change the MCU formula a little bit and make it more flexible. I think they are aware that many people dislike this. I dont mind it how they make it currently. And we know that Avengers 2 will beginn to be darker and everything.

Tizoc

F4 trailer was neat, looks like they're using elements from the Ultimate-verse which I'm OK with. WOuldn't surprise me if it sets up villains like Galactus or Annhilus.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Read the last two pages. Yeah, the normal talk. I dont get the arthouse cinema fraction who argue that comicbook movies are mostly made for the fun and not to be remembered in 50 years. They are aiming for fun and entertainment primary. Its like with action movies, you get a Terminator 2 or Rambo but tons of lesser movies like Phantom Commando or City Cobra, who are fun, too.

MCUgaf and AntiMCU are exaggerating a lot like usuall in this kind of threads. This is why I try to stick mostly in the OT and Productionsthreads, where not that much peoples are posting.

Neoxon

Read the last two pages. Yeah, the normal talk. I dont get the arthouse cinema fraction who argue that comicbook movies are mostly made for the fun and not to be remembered in 50 years. They are aiming for fun and entertainment primary. Its like with action movies, you get a Terminator 2 or Rambo but tons of lesser movies like Phantom Commando or City Cobra, who are fun, too.

MCUgaf and AntiMCU are exaggerating a lot like usuall in this kind of threads. This is why I try to stick mostly in the OT and Productionsthreads, where not that much peoples are posting.
I'm considering doing the same.

You know what other app has fit to width viewing? Dark Horse.

Their hi res is about 60% of CMX, though. You should see their low res stuff. Fixed width is basically worthless on their garbage renders.

Trust me, dude. I've been through all this, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on Earth who notices or cares about this stuff.

Like check out the Multiverse Guidebook this week. Looks like a DC book finally caught what I refer to as DigiRot. It's that thing where somehow, probably in the render sent to CMX from the publisher, the line art layer gets like this weird pixelly grit to it, while the lettering layer still remains perfectly smooth.

It's not a resolution problem, because there's no blur when you zoom in, it's a problem with the file itself. When it first started happening, in Original Sin #1, I sent a ticket into CMX and they got a replacement, presumably from Marvel. After a few more times, they just stopped caring I guess, and said there was nothing they can do.

DC stuff has been immune to it until now. I blame The Gentry.

Like I said, though, literally no one else in the world has noticed this and thus no one's doing anything about it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

FF #2

"Is it true what I've heard Benjamin?"
"That when Johnny Storm died, valiantly facing an endless army..."
"Is it true that you, surrounded by crying children, weeping at the inevitable death of your close comrade and friend...is it true?"
"Is it true you just... watched?"
"How very brave."

So you are telling me Doom isn't a mutant made of ether?

:3

kd-z

Their hi res is about 60% of CMX, though. You should see their low res stuff. Fixed width is basically worthless on their garbage renders.

Trust me, dude. I've been through all this, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on Earth who notices or cares about this stuff.

Like check out the Multiverse Guidebook this week. Looks like a DC book finally caught what I refer to as DigiRot. It's that thing where somehow, probably in the render sent to CMX from the publisher, the line art layer gets like this weird pixelly grit to it, while the lettering layer still remains perfectly smooth.

It's not a resolution problem, because there's no blur when you zoom in, it's a problem with the file itself. When it first started happening, in Original Sin #1, I sent a ticket into CMX and they got a replacement, presumably from Marvel. After a few more times, they just stopped caring I guess, and said there was nothing they can do.

DC stuff has been immune to it until now. I blame The Gentry.

Like I said, though, literally no one else in the world has noticed this and thus no one's doing anything about it.
I feel for you man. I have an issue with Comixology's PC in-browser reader and I seem to be the only person that cares: it's impossible to make the navigational menu completely disappear. If you move the cursor to the middle, top or bottom of the windows the top and bottom bars with buttons will appear. If you move it to the left or right, a huge white arrow will. Am I really the only person who uses Comixology on a PC/is irritated by this? :(

In other news, I read up to the point when X-Force becomes X-Statix. This is some good comics. I'm also a huge fan of Dead Girl :D

GAMEPROFF

Banned
@Rhaknar Thanks, but when this is themated in FF #2, then I wont read it^^ Fantastic Four by Hickmann is the next thing I will read after I finished A Superman for All Seasons^^

Messi

That dickhead who picks up a copy of every book and floppy in the new releases and sniffs them was in the store today. He clearly has problems. Again he went through my stack which was on a table near the counter and a pop on top of it. So it's clearly someone's stuff. He took the last copy if Black Science vol 2 from it and my Harley variants :/ (flash and the Amanda Conner one). I am actually intimidated by him as he is always talking to himself and cursing under his breath. I had to hang around for 30 mins trying to get and opportunity to take back my stuff. When he wasn't looking I grabbed my Harley's but had to leave black science as my nerves were shot. I fucking hate this dude. He has gone through my stuff multiple times over the past few months. I have seen him take other people's stuff too. Sucks man :(

kd-z

That dickhead who picks up a copy of every book and floppy in the new releases and sniffs them was in the store today. He clearly has problems. Again he went through my stack which was on a table near the counter and a pop on top of it. So it's clearly someone's stuff. He took the last copy if Black Science vol 2 from it and my Harley variants :/ (flash and the Amanda Conner one). I am actually intimidated by him as he is always talking to himself and cursing under his breath. I had to hang around for 30 mins trying to get and opportunity to take back my stuff. When he wasn't looking I grabbed my Harley's but had to leave black science as my nerves were shot. I fucking hate this dude. He has gone through my stuff multiple times over the past few months. I have seen him take other people's stuff too. Sucks man :(

d6c227fa1258d30e1ad224919d159de7.jpg

Seriously tho, that's messed up. Doesn't the owner/employees of the shop do anything about the guy?

Messi

d6c227fa1258d30e1ad224919d159de7.jpg

Seriously tho, that's messed up. Doesn't the owner/employees of the shop do anything about the guy?

No. They are too busy chatting behind the counter. He also buys nearly one of everything. He looked like he had 300€ worth of stuff easily. He had the gl omnibus ect. He even bought the Ultimates last stand. So clearly they won't stop him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dont be so hard with this guy. Sounds like he has serious mental problems. I can understand thats quite annoying when he takes your stuff, but still, it really sounds like he has problems.

Quite shitty from the shop employees let him buy stuff for this much money. I think he has no idea what he is doing.

Messi plz. Ways to avoid this without fighting (though I advocate physical violence in this scenario)

Get a pull list. From box to hands without anything in between.
Hold your comics and don't set them down.
Fuck it. Fight him.
Talk to the employees. Express that your experience is being ruined by this guy. Explain what he is doing. If they refuse to do anything then don't give them your business.
Start sabotaging his stack of comics when possible. Small pieces of tape stuck onto random pages could be quick and easy.

Messi

Dont be so hard with this guy. Sounds like he has serious mental problems. I can understand thats quite annoying when he takes your stuff, but still, it really sounds like he has problems.

Quite shitty from the shop employees let him buy stuff for this much money. I think he has no idea what he is doing.

I know. Any I am sorry for name calling but it is really frustrating. I avoided a confrontation at all costs I don't want to cause an issue.

Yeah every time I see him he has so much stuff. I don't know what the staff could do.

Messi plz. Ways to avoid this without fighting (though I advocate physical violence in this scenario)

Get a pull list. From box to hands without anything in between.
Hold your comics and don't set them down.
Fuck it. Fight him.
Talk to the employees. Express that your experience is being ruined by this guy. Explain what he is doing. If they refuse to do anything then don't give them your business.
Start sabotaging his stack of comics when possible. Small pieces of tape stuck onto random pages could be quick and easy.

All of this sounds somewhat doable. Except the store won't hold variants because they are Assholes. I told them I would buy all harley variants but they said no.

I guess I will stop laying my stuff down.

Oh and fellow harley fans. Beware (Deathstroke spoilers I suppose)
from flicking through the book she is only in the last 5-6 pages 2 of which are a splash page. Lol

Yeah stores not holding variants is pretty common unless you got an in with the employees. I was fighting with people for Earth 2 and Worlds Finest variants for awhile.

Messi

In less bad news my new Amanda Conner Harley pop arrived from Australia! Also Arkham Harley and Captain Mal Reynolds.

I suggest grabbing the guy and slamming him into a wall and letting him know his life is forfeit if he touches another one of your comics.

That's how we roll in Jersey though.

Finished reading Flex Mentallo yesterday. It had some very interesting ideas, but I didn't enjoy it that much. Maybe it was the tone, it read a little like a documentary.

Am I the only one who thought that Waids first Daredevil Run ended with a bummer?
I cant say what it exactly is (maybe that Matt layed his whole identity flatt out open...) but something is there that I really dont like.

I hope they release a OHC with Waids second run in the near future, I want to see how the whole thing continues noneless.

I actually liked it. It felt like a fresh start and I think Waid should have ended his run there and let someone else take over.

I actually dislike that they are currently moving so much heroes out of New York.

It's ironic that complaints can go both ways. Too many in New York and yet one doesn't give a fuck about where they move them too. My complaint is when they try to explain why there are or aren't villains in the city they move to.

I actually dislike that they are currently moving so much heroes out of New York.

I can see why that would be a problem. I don't have much of a Daredevil is Hell's Kitchen attachment. And I am not too bothered with continuity. I just like happy endings. That's what the end of #36 feels like. If Waid had ended it there, I could have told myself - that's a good run with a happy ending. The newer SF Daredevil issues are looking very ominous.

Top Bottom