• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

kd-z

That Punisher page could be a scary gif. You see a guy and he has like, pronounced lips, he turns away from you and around again and he has MONSTROUS SCARY BLACKFACE LIPS.
This doesn't spoil anything and you might look over it but this might be the first Bat Fist-Bump.

B8dUjHuIMAArCcR.png
That Capullo Batman, hngggg. I really should get on that Zero Year volume 2 and then wait for Endgame to be collected in 2017. Also, perhaps a re-read of the run is in order.

I'm a dirty trade waiter (partially because they don't sell singles in Poland) but sometimes I feel the need to buy a single issue, so I buy something on Comixology. Based on your recommendations I got the new Casanova #1 (I know nothing about it except that it's by Fraction). Will read tomorrow. I also got Uncanny Avengers (vol 2) #1 because Remender. I still have to catch up with the first volume as I've only read the first trade.

Aaand I also bought Incal because, you know, you guys mention it on a regular basis which makes it a must-read for me.

So I just finished Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol thanks to you guys talking it up. At first it was weird art with strange concepts just being blasted around in my brain. Kind of like the newer Morrison that I'd read and been ambivalent on, but with less choppiness. Robotman as the anchor really led me through the crazy.

But then that last arc. And then that last issue. And then that last page. It broke me. Some of the best comics I have ever read and I am still legit shook up.

Edit:
The following writer can't possibly live up to Morrison. I can't even imagine where the story would go from his end, but out of curiosity, should I try it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Slightly before the Cosmic Chart actually. Just after House of M, Ed Brubaker wrote a six issue limited series, X-Men: Deadly Genesis, that explains the story behind the third Summers brother. Then Brubaker starts his Uncanny run on a 12 issues arc titled "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" that continues the story from Deadly Genesis.

cool adding deadly genesis then just to know the origin of the character at least

So I just finished Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol thanks to you guys talking it up. At first it was weird art with strange concepts just being blasted around in my brain. Kind of like the newer Morrison that I'd read and been ambivalent on, but with less choppiness. Robotman as the anchor really led me through the crazy.

But then that last arc. And then that last issue. And then that last page. It broke me. Some of the best comics I have ever read and I am still legit shook up.

Edit:
The following writer can't possibly live up to Morrison. I can't even imagine where the story would go from his end, but out of curiosity, should I try it?

I heard there are some fans of Pollack's run but honestly...after that last arc, that last issue, that last page...I had no interest of reading anymore. That was the finale, brehs

Edit:

I definitely agree with you that having Cliff as an anchor helped the narrative a lot. I have been trying to read Invisibles again after reading Doom Patrol, but I am not enjoying it much.

I tried reading some golden age Doom Patrol after reading Morrison's run. It was ok.

I heard there are some fans of Pollack's run but honestly...after that last arc, that last issue, that last page...I had no interest of reading anymore. That was the finale, brehs

Man...if you haven't read Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, don't click that link. It won't mean anything without the entire run leading up to it, but still, go in clean. You broke me again with that image man. God that last panel...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man...if you haven't read Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, don't click that link. It won't mean anything without the entire run leading up to it, but still, go in clean. You broke me again with that image man. God that last panel...

When I finished Doom Patrol, I think I stared at that page for like 10 minutes.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What'd you think of the Chabon Metanauts story?

I don't know what to make of it yet because it's just a sliver of a story. It seems like there's a band of four Sasa Lisis, and I believe they're in Universe 919. Chabon is a master at memorable and fleshed out characters, so I'm hoping we get to know what he's playing at more in the next issue. The Twins' art is incredible throughout, but that's a given at this point.

Lumberjanes at 8,917. Y'all need to answer for this tragedy, because we are fucking up.
Isn't that like really good for Boom though? I mean it's not gonna do DC numbers but it looks like its found a solid audience. Which i'm glad to see
I have no clue what the hell is going on with the art in Punisher

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/preview-theatre-the-punisher-15/1100-151132/

That last panel.

yo what the shit

First tracing, now this?

I am 2 behind but yes. I share the sentiment about wanting Selina back in the suit. It's a bit frustrating in that regard right now. But it's a massive improvement over Nocenti.

I think Selina is one of the most developed characters in the n52 and most of that development has been outside of her own book. Geoff Johns inclusion of her as an unofficial member of the Justice League of America, through the Trinity War to Forever Evil up until now with Batman Eternal and finally her own book with Valentine on writing duties.

She has kinda handled each situation in a calm and collected manner. The things that she has been forced to do as the kingpin of Gotham has been unfathomable and has really brought her through the ringer. I like how Selina (Valentine) looks to old literature of Queen Elizabeth as inspiration of getting through these hard times.

Messi

I think Selina is one of the most developed characters in the n52 and most of that development has been outside of her own book. Geoff Johns inclusion of her as an unofficial member of the Justice League of America, through the Trinity War to Forever Evil up until now with Batman Eternal and finally her own book with Valentine on writing duties.

She has kinda handled each situation in a calm and collected manner. The things that she has been forced to do as the kingpin of Gotham has been unfathomable and has really brought her through the ringer. I like how Selina (Valentine) looks to old literature of Queen Elizabeth as inspiration of getting through these hard times.

Did you read Nocenti's stuff? I notice you left that stuff out. She rode a gas mask wearing horse upside down in a underground stair maze.

ElNarez

Banned

It seriously went from one of the dumbest books DC puts out to one of the smartest. It's a great read.

You can tell she just hates what she is doing. She knows her life is just a drag now. But she handles it with a certain charisma that's very relatable. Almost like "fuck it, it is what it is" attitude. The situation calls for her to be serious and political and she hates it but she does it well. A different kind of sass than what we're use to.

You can tell she just hates what she is doing. She knows her life is just a drag now. But she handles it with a certain charisma that's very relatable. Almost like "fuck it, it is what it is" attitude. The situation calls for her to be serious and political and she hates it but she does it well. A different kind of sass than what we're use to.
Thought for a second you were describing Noccenti.

Jesus. Someone has to ask Brevoort about this, while I'm sure Gerads means no harm that could potentially upset people. Once Punisher gets 2 books I wonder if Mitch is staying or not, he has been so inconsistent these days. It's ridiculous the editor didn't catch this.

Honestly, I'm no longer sure if Gerads even drew that! The last issue had three artists!

I know I bitch about David Aja, but goddamn... if this is the alternative...

4vPES.gif

Where should I start reading Spider-Man from?

Let me explain: using Marvel Unlimited, I've slowly been reading my way from the late 90's when I stopped reading comics all the way up to the present. I'm around 2010-ish now on most stuff... Just finished Siege, mutant wise I'm just past Second coming, and on the cosmic side I'm in that bare spot between Thanos Imperative and Marvel Now.

But when it comes to the Spider-books, I read up to and including One More Day, which I hated. Then I read the first few BND issues of Amazing, but it really wasn't holding my interest. It just felt like I was reading some dumb What If story or something. That was a while back, though... should I give it another shot? Is that era actually good or should I just skip ahead to Spider Island or something?

fauxtrot

Banned

I really need to read Doom Patrol... someone buy me that omnibus.

Let me explain: using Marvel Unlimited, I've slowly been reading my way from the late 90's when I stopped reading comics all the way up to the present. I'm around 2010-ish now on most stuff... Just finished Siege, mutant wise I'm just past Second coming, and on the cosmic side I'm in that bare spot between Thanos Imperative and Marvel Now.

But when it comes to the Spider-books, I read up to and including One More Day, which I hated. Then I read the first few BND issues of Amazing, but it really wasn't holding my interest. It just felt like I was reading some dumb What If story or something. That was a while back, though... should I give it another shot? Is that era actually good or should I just skip ahead to Spider Island or something?

I would suggest keep reading BND, but if you weren't really feeling it try 600-700, this way you get all the great Gauntlet stories, Grim Hunt, Spider-Island and the lead in to Superior Spider-Man.

frye

You could try skipping to New Ways to Die and continue from there

Bii

Preordered the Hot Toys Age of Ultron: Captain America. That flex plan is goddamn handy. Would be my first Hot Toys purchase if I don't get something before it releases.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm probably not alone here, but I think Gotham Academy is leaps and bounds better than Batgirl.

Definitely. The more issues we get of Batgirl, the more I want Cameron Stewart to stick to just drawing his beautiful art. Do we know how much Brenden Fletcher contributes to Batgirl? Because I have a hard time understanding why it's so vapid compared to Gotham Academy.

At least the three people who are going to watch the Jessica Jones show are.

As long as Daredevil is a hit, all they'll need is a little cross-promotion and AKA Jessica Jones will be fine. If Hemlock Grove was able to find enough of an audience on Netflix to get a second season, I don't think there's too much to worry about.

Top Bottom