• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Tizoc

Batman #38

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

I can't wait to see where Snyder runs with this. Dat final panel.

Surely he won't be turning the DC Universe on its head by making Joker an immortal...right? There has to be an explanation!

lol, I always pictured
Joker being immortal all along, how do you explain him always coming back otherwise?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
All right, just finished CASANOVA. Fraction and the Brazilian Wonder Twins have smart, sexy, and tense comics down to a science. The whole scene with Cas out on the diving board is my version of comics perfection.

Also, yo, Dustin Harbin is fucking fantastic.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
two sets of narration boxes, same colors, always interrupting each other abruptly, but you always instantly know if its "Cassidy" or the omniscient narrator due to the distinctive font/size choices
JC, I literally typed that exact thing out but then erased it 'cause my brain is swimmin' and I'm not sure my shit makes sense.
Also, man, the orange creamsiccle sunset coloring permeating the pages is gorgeous.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Did Hickman write any of the cosmic chart stuff?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doom just
bitch slapped one of the reeds and basically said "know your role and shut your mouth"

Doom is The Rock of the MU. They both talk in the third person afterall :p

Rhaknar

FF might as well be called Doom and his amazing not-friends because that's what the book is really

And I love it for that

PsychBat!

Banned
Uncanny Avengers was okay. Definitely getting tired of the team mates not getting along shtick Remender has going on though. I'll keep reading.

Man, reading Deathstroke overall has been fun. Tony Daniel just can't escape some corny moments. This months issue has a pretty cool ending.

In All-New Suicide Squad 1-4, it involved DS betraying the Suicide Squad. In today's issue of DS, he has to travel to Gotham because that is where his son and daughter are hiding. He seeks out Harley for help. She is mad about the betrayal but they talk it out. She leads him to a clue to find his son and daughter but it's a bunch of dead bodies with an old DS sword in one of the bodies and Batman is there. Harley has set him up! She didn't kill them but planted the sword. It ends with Batman telling DS that his reign of terror is over and they are about to fight with Harley acting all innocent.

Rhaknar

Whew, done with FF 1-11, onto F4 #600.

There is so much shit going on in this Hickman run, it's ridiculous

Cheska

Another great video. Also the true size of your collection is clear in these videos. Holy shit look at all those shelves.

Awesome video, keep it up! :D

Thank you guys! <3

Nothing stops the Aquaman quality train. Just keeps on being good. Arthur and Mera are an awesome couple. It's an Aquaman solo book but it's really the adventures of Aurthur and Mera.
I stopped reading Aquaman when John's stopped writing, but maybe I should pick it back up. Arthur + Mera make for one of the best comic dynamics out there IMO.

Thank you guys! <3

I stopped reading Aquaman when John's stopped writing, but maybe I should pick it back up. Arthur + Mera make for one of the best comic dynamics out there IMO.

I think you would like it. It made 3 of us ComicGaffers top 10 of 2014 list.

Owzers

Buffy Season 10 #1 was really rough, like a "remember all these guys?" group fighting vampires first issue. It tried to introduce a new story dynamic at the end but it didn't work that well.

Rhaknar

F4 #600 is 98 pages long :eek:

I hope it's all hickman stuff concluding this giant arc and not a bunch of random "anniversary" stories :(

F4 #600 is 98 pages long :eek:

I hope it's all hickman stuff concluding this giant arc and not a bunch of random "anniversary" stories :(

its not. There is the main story which is 20 pages and then its all filler. BUT there is a huge easter egg concerning the upcoming Secret Wars in there

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
In anticipation of the Multiversity Guidebook I pulled out the second Kamandi Omnibus to finally read it. The crazyness and creativity in this is just off the hook even after all these years. Blessed be Kirby.

EDIT : Kinda makes me want to jump on his OMAC and/or The Demon books. Talk me into it/out of it plz, I'll provide a picture of me sniffing an Omnibus of your choice in exchange.

Correct this misstep of yours please, Cheska. Parkers on Aquaman has been solid. There is an entire issue devoted to Arthurs class reunion. It's as amazing as you'd expect from such a premise.

Rhaknar

Switching gears from F4 for a bit, if these new
4 horsemen
in Uncanny Avengers were all dead dudes, who killed
Banshee
?

Edit: nvm apparently
Vulcan
did

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finally Bought this Comic Collectorz App... Oh boy, adding my collection will be a horror, they are not even listing the Civl War OHC o_O

Paging KoruptData: Don't forget to breathe.

Deathstroke #5

4358203-2+dsk_cv5_1_25_var.jpg

(W) Tony S. Daniel (A) Tony S. Daniel, Sandu Florea (CA) Leonardo Manco, Tomeu Morey

Deathstroke vs. Batman - with Harley Quinn stuck in the middle! The most intense, brutal battle in the history of The New 52 takes place in this issue!

With a tagline like this how can I not buy this issue? I mean if it's the most intense and all. I look forward to Sillymonkey321 buying it with me as well. I know he can't say no to a good hype build up.

tim1138

In anticipation of the Multiversity Guidebook I pulled out the second Kamandi Omnibus to finally read it. The crazyness and creativity in this is just off the hook even after all these years. Blessed be Kirby.

EDIT : Kinda makes me want to jump on his OMAC and/or The Demon books. Talk me into it/out of it plz, I'll provide a picture of me sniffing an Omnibus of your choice in exchange.

If you can find it, you should totally buy the Demon. Sadly, like Kamandi and the Fourth World omnibi, it's out of print. OMAC is still readily available so jump on that. DC needs to get its act together and keep those Kirby books in print in perpetuity.

Batman 38........holy shit.......

Some thoughts.

So if they do make it that Joker is now immortal, than even more than ever before there needs to ALWAYS be a Batman. It also answers the question of why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker, cause he fucking can't. It ALSO means he can be as brutal as he fucking wants to be and just unleash on the Joker and who cares. He'll get better. I don't think that's how it'll play out though, Snyder has something up his sleeve.

Thank you guys! <3

Awesome video, and yes definitely read it. The new team kind of picked up where Johns left off and has been doing a great job on it.

Most recent Mayo Report Podcast is faaascinating. It's talking December 2014 numbers. An ancillary conversation is the Marvel tendency towards #1s and how sharp their #2 drop-offs are (ex: Captain America #1 to #2 was like 59% loss of unit sales) . They also apparently launched at least 48 new number #1s (in the year) versus DCs 14ish.

DC also beat Marvel in units shipped in December.

C2E2 line up is starting to look goooood :)))

Some names that stick out to me,,

Rick Remender
Ryan Stegman
Amanda Conner
Greg Tocchini (LOW)
Babs Tarr
Aaron Kuder
Chip Zdarsky
Geof Darrow
Skottie Young
Mark Waid

I met most of them last year,, all cool as hell though.

If it's in the cosmic chart I haven't read it.

My shi'ar knowledge comes from 80s/90s x-men

And he was fabled back then :p remember when Gambit was going to be the third brother?

Slightly before the Cosmic Chart actually. Just after House of M, Ed Brubaker wrote a six issue limited series, X-Men: Deadly Genesis, that explains the story behind the third Summers brother. Then Brubaker starts his Uncanny run on a 12 issues arc titled "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" that continues the story from Deadly Genesis.

Batman 38........holy shit.......

Some thoughts.

So if they do make it that Joker is now immortal, than even more than ever before there needs to ALWAYS be a Batman. It also answers the question of why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker, cause he fucking can't. It ALSO means he can be as brutal as he fucking wants to be and just unleash on the Joker and who cares. He'll get better. I don't think that's how it'll play out though, Snyder has something up his sleeve.

More Batman 38 spoilers

I really hope the immortal stuff is true. It's a cool new take and, like you said, gets rid of the age-old "why doesn't someone do the world a favor and just shoot him" question. It also parallels nicely with Morrison's stuff about there having always been a Batman.

It may not work in the overall context of DC's 75+ history but I don't see why it doesn't work at least in the context of the New 52.

If Snyder backs off on this and the idea that Joker now knows Batman's identity by just saying this is a result of Fear Toxin or something then that just won't be satisfying to me.

All right, just finished CASANOVA. Fraction and the Brazilian Wonder Twins have smart, sexy, and tense comics down to a science. The whole scene with Cas out on the diving board is my version of comics perfection.

Also, yo, Dustin Harbin is fucking fantastic.

He kills it at everything he does.

Top Bottom