• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Not even going to touch that. It's late, I'm grumpy already and I can't drink any more coffee today or I won't sleep.

I did enjoy how Kamen Rider is somehow less impenetrable than superhero comics though. Fucking Kamen Rider, of all things. It's not like that hasn't been running for 44 years with a new cast and power sets every year or anything.
I threw a life line in there and left. If they really are interested we are great at pointing to good series. We do it all the time, but if they just want to create a thread to proclaim ignorance and seek attention without doing anything about it then whatever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=965473

ujSXv9m.gif

I should post of awful I am always confused when I hear of 267 Dragon Ball series and 3637 movies set on the Timeline.

I threw a life line in there and left. If they really are interested we are great at pointing to good series. We do it all the time, but if they just want to create a thread to proclaim ignorance and seek attention without doing anything about it then whatever.

Most threads in Off-Topic that aren't OTs or something similar like say, the TV cancellation thread are attention seeking for the most part.

"I don't like this, and I need YOU, ANONYMOUS-INTERNET-MAN, to validate my opinion so I don't die from self-loathing."

I think I just spoiled the Ultra Comics issue of Multiversity on myself.

Also, I refuse to believe Messi's never heard of Rule 63.

My top 5 current books in no particular order are probably
1. Low
2. Daredevil
3. Saga
4. The Fade Out
5. Sex Criminals

All Time
1. Mark Waid's Flash
2. Peter David's X-Factor (Volume 3)
3. most of the Exiles
4.Claremont's X-Men
5. Fables

Good stuff. Buy the Strangers in Paradise omnivus and come join the Gaf reading club!

I wanted there to be a book club I could take part in, but not like this. Not like this.

Snagged Spider-Verse and Axis hardcovers for £17 each on Amazon UK thanks to a glitch. Looking forward to the Spider-Verse one, and at least Axis will look nice next to the Uncanny Avengers omnibus.
Aw whyd you have to say that the Axis omni is 17 euros on amazon uk? I ordered the spider verse one a while back but now I'm thinking of ordering axis and I had no intention of buying it really....

Zombine

Banned
Speaking of which, I broke down yesterday and ordered Freddy-chan and Jason-chan.

Supposedly, Kotobukiya wants to expand this series. I would totally be down for Pinhead-chan.

Aww yes. Freddy. My GF wants to do that Cosplay in October at NYCC.

I should post of awful I am always confused when I hear of 267 Dragon Ball series and 3637 movies set on the Timeline.

None of which are cannon anymore because...reasons. I was going to post there but I gave up before I hit "post."

Why did DCBS change their site to this shitty new layout? First Bleeding Cool, now DCBS. Everyone is changing their sites for the worse.

Owzers

Why did DCBS change their site to this shitty new layout? First Bleeding Cool, now DCBS. Everyone is changing their sites for the worse.

the cart thing isn't working too well, keeps trying to say extra stuff is in my cart but the cart doesn't show it. Previous to the update i was having a lot of trouble with the site though, if it starts working right i'll be okay i think.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Avengers X-Sanction #1-4 was ok. I dont really care much about the Avengers so seeing Cable whoop their asses was funny. So Cable was worried about something the Avengers eventually do to Hope, not something that has happened, so its actually more self contained than I thought, which is good.

Well, except I have no past knowledge about Hope, besides some vague notions that she was the first new mutant since House of M, the Pheonix Force wants her, and aparently she can shoot lasers out of her eyes like Cyclops.

Onward then!

edit: I also have no idea who the fuck Red Hulk is, oh well

Aww yes. Freddy. My GF wants to do that Cosplay in October at NYCC.

None of which are cannon anymore because...reasons. I was going to post there but I gave up before I hit "post."

Inside the Creative Process of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

"I really like dogs. Let's have a dog villain, because reasons."

I'd watch the occasional anime, I even have a Crunchyroll sub, but good lord, I am only human. I will admit it hurts that I never saw DBZ as a kid because we didn't have satellite, and my first exposure to it was the Super Dragon Ball Z fighting game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

So its like a superhero comics? Perfect :D

That gif is amazing. Also, DBZ is a sacred cow. I will fight you.

Nothing against Dragon Ball, I actually would read it if there were a decent collection out there. I dont buy 50 books, each for 10€
But if I had the possibility, I would read it^^

Avengers X-Sanction #1-4 was ok.

I am still salty that they never came back to the Iron Man Armor with Sentinel technology...

Its just so funny, that so many of his complaints fit with his precious japanese mangas.

Inside the Creative Process of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

"I really like dogs. Let's have a dog villain, because reasons."

I'd watch the occasional anime, I even have a Crunchyroll sub, but good lord, I am only human. I will admit it hurts that I never saw DBZ as a kid because we didn't have satellite, and my first exposure to it was the Super Dragon Ball Z fighting game.

Dragonball was never going to be high art. I think people are expecting too much out of it.

Drayco21

There was a time I'd agree that it's easier to get into anime than comics, but then I tried to figure out how I should watch Gundam this summer.

"Before I'm washed up, I'm doing a big supernatural story."

All is right in the world.

Nothing against Dragon Ball, I actually would read it if there were a decent collection out there. I dont buy 50 books, each for 10€
But if I had the possibility, I would read it^^

Dragonball Z is 26 volumes. But the whole thing is collected into 9 VizBIG editions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man so many thoughts running around in my brain. ok, so... seems Carol was still "Ms" during AvX, so I guess the whole Captian thing is more recent than I thought

I did not know Vision and Wanda were still married (at least he calls her his wife when she goes to the mansion in AvX #0 and proceeds to tell her to fuck off and die which was amazingly cold lol)

Speaking of the Avengers Mansion, I thought they had the Avengers Tower these days, like the movies, not the mansion?

side note: added X-Men: Schism to the queue, its only 5 issues. If it had tie ins, I wont read them. Im going to do the whole shebang with AvX, and AvX only (for now at least)

Onward with AvX then!

edit: also, cookies. Because...well, cookies are good

SoilBreak

Banned
Not even going to touch that. It's late, I'm grumpy already and I can't drink any more coffee today or I won't sleep.

I did enjoy how Kamen Rider is somehow less impenetrable than superhero comics though. Fucking Kamen Rider, of all things. It's not like that hasn't been running for 44 years with a new cast and power sets every year or anything.

Exactly. How can you shit on comics because you think the visuals & writings are corny and yet you watch shows like power rangers & kamen rider?

And this coming from a person who likes kamen rider & tokusatsu in general .

Boogiepop

Dragonball Z is 26 volumes. But the whole thing is collected into 9 VizBIG editions.

Exactly what I would've said, with the additional note of the 5 VizBIGs for original flavor Dragonball. I'd also point towards rightstuf, but I'm not sure how that works in the lands ruled by the Euro. And as much as I enjoy Dragonball as a whole, it's not one of the top picks I'd recommend to people for digging into anime/manga stuff, much as it is a popular one.

Dragonball was never going to be high art. I think people are expecting too much out of it.

I guess, but man, the condescension from some of these folks is real and it really burns my waffles. It doesn't help that most of my good friends are really into their anime and shonen mangas (they read it all on scanlation sites, I DREAD days when new Bleach is out because they might as well talk actual Japanese, I'd understand about the same amount). When we first met, someone played that Superman vs. Goku deathbattle video and I have to debate it at least once a week, and one of the guys who argues Goku would win has the S shield TATTOOED ON HIS FUCKING CHEST. It hurts my soul.

Boogiepop

Not here in germany :/ I have to read the original Dragonball, too and many Volumes of this is out of print now.

It looks like Funimation has at least some episodes up on their site, so maybe that'd be a decent way to approach things?
I've definitely seen some episodes here and there in my childhood, and I think I caught like the Saiyan and maybe part of Freeza sagas of Kai, but I've actually never watched the anime through.

Boogiepop

Not here in germany :/ I have to read the original Dragonball, too and many Volumes of this is out of print now.

How's the digital situation? I know Viz has actually been putting up a lot of stuff on Comixology and whatnot, so I'd imagine it should be up there, but I don't know if region-locking nonsense or anything gets in the way there.

It looks like Funimation has at least some episodes up on their site, so maybe that'd be a decent way to approach things?
I've definitely seen some episodes here and there in my childhood, and I think I caught like the Saiyan and maybe part of Freeza sagas of Kai, but I've actually never watched the anime through.

I actually tried to sign up for Funimation streaming yesterday, it's US and Canada only. They didn't want my money, it seems.

I know it's probably rights issues. It's always rights issues.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How's the digital situation? I know Viz has actually been putting up a lot of stuff on Comixology and whatnot, so I'd imagine it should be up there, but I don't know if region-locking nonsense or anything gets in the way there.

Nothing yet :/

Couldnt access the side. Would be interesting, if the material is avaiable here at last, since its heavy cencored here in germany.

Animes here are considered children cartons, and because of this, everything related to death is cutted out. Characters usually dont die here, they fall in coma.

I feel like some regulars here would be interested in this...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=965496

Well, there is no Harley tie...

Rhaknar

hmm so Magneto was already in the X-Men during AvX. Along with Namor and a bald Colossus and they are all on some island called Utopia. Which book was this team, I might have to go back and read some eventually, Uncanny?

Cap goes to Wolverine in the Institute in AvX #1 so I assume that is Wolverine and the X-Men, so this is all after Schism. Im just trying to fit all this together with my limited knowledge :p

And aparently, every fucking hero in the Marvel Universe is an Avenger now (or was during this)... Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Thing, Luke Cage, Iron Fist... damn

Boogiepop

Nothing yet :/

Couldnt access the side. Would be interesting, if the material is avaiable here at last, since its heavy cencored here in germany.

Animes here are considered children cartons, and because of this, everything related to death is cutted out. Characters usually dont die here, they fall in coma.

Dang, sorry to hear that.

The "superhero comics are impenetrable!" discussion that keeps popping up is just frustrating. There are plenty of self contained cape books that are easy to jump into, without any prior knowledge required, but that's just not good enough. They need to read from the beginning and they have to read it all.

Not even gonna mention indie/alt comics because most people assume Marvel and DC are the only publishers in the West. I mean shit, if they need to read a superhero book from the beginning they can just start from the beginning of a book from Valiant or something.

Rhaknar

OH SHIT. Wolverine and the X-Men is the Bachalo book, with Warbird macking on Iceman?

I remember seeing some pages of it here last years and thinking it looked awesome. Deffinately going to be checking all of that, not just the AvX stuff

Also, I love how much work Bachalo seems to get these days on Marvel, I was always a big fan of his but he didnt do much in my day

Drayco21

hmm so Magneto was already in the X-Men during AvX. Along with Namor and a bald Colossus and they are all on some island called Utopia. Which book was this team, I might have to go back and read some eventually, Uncanny?

Cap goes to Wolverine in the Institute in AvX #1 so I assume that is Wolverine and the X-Men, so this is all after Schism. Im just trying to fit all this together with my limited knowledge :p

And aparently, every fucking hero in the Marvel Universe is an Avenger now (or was during this)... Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Thing, Luke Cage, Iron Fist... damn

The Bendis gets the characters The Bendis wants. Whether that means giving his waifu Luke Cage his own Avengers team, or putting his other waifu Kitty Pryde in space. Nothing stops The Bendis.

I feel like some regulars here would be interested in this...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=965496

I would wear the hell out of one of these.

Top Bottom