• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

The "superhero comics are impenetrable!" discussion that keeps popping up is just frustrating. There are plenty of self contained cape books that are easy to jump into, without any prior knowledge required, but that's just not good enough. They need to read from the beginning and they have to read it all.

Not even gonna mention indie/alt comics because most people assume Marvel and DC are the only publishers in the West. I mean shit, if they need to read a superhero book from the beginning they can just start from the beginning of a book from Valiant or something.

You're looking at it from someone who is used to it. For someone on the outside it really can seem impenetrable. But that is no different from anything else in life.

Just ordered that and Spider-Verse. What are these supposed to retail for?

RRP is £55.99, so you're saving almost £40 each.

The "superhero comics are impenetrable!" discussion that keeps popping up is just frustrating. There are plenty of self contained cape books that are easy to jump into, without any prior knowledge required, but that's just not good enough. They need to read from the beginning and they have to read it all.

Not even gonna mention indie/alt comics because most people assume Marvel and DC are the only publishers in the West. I mean shit, if they need to read a superhero book from the beginning they can just start from the beginning of a book from Valiant or something.

I will never forget the guy who claimed in one of those threads that you could only be a real fan of a character if you've read every story they've ever appeared in. Because that's a thing that's possible and affordable for characters like Batman and Spider-Man.

Messi

You're looking at it from someone who is used to it. For someone on the outside it really can seem impenetrable. But that is no different from anything else in life.

12 months ago it seemed impenetrable to me but here I am now fully immersed. It just takes a bit of time.

RRP is £55.99, so you're saving almost £40 each.

For 9 issues? That's a crazy price. I wonder if amazon will honor it.

I think part of the "impenetrable" discussion is the internet's ability to tell you absolutely every little thing about any character in any medium.. Readers like a nice, linear continuity to wikipedia real quick to get every last detail out of something, you just aren't going to get that with Marvel/DC and I'm sure that frustrates a lot of people, even if they're reading a stand-alone Wolverine book or whatever, adding to the illusion that comics are tough to get into.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cyke being all hopefull (no pun intended) that the Phoenix Force taking over Hope will be a good thing and usher in a mutant utopia makes no fucking sense knowing his DECADES of history with the Phoenix Force and how fucked up it is, especially to the love of his life.

Im leaning towards Cyke is a dick for now :p

or, you know, bad writing >_>

If all superhero books were suddenly cancelled except for Invincible, I would not be unhappy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Because that's a thing that's possible and affordable for characters like Batman and Spider-Man.

Its already an almost impossible quest to buy every mainbook with these big characters, even when you dont look just at appearences and only buy "mainbooks"...

(I am currently trying this...)

I think part of the "impenetrable" discussion is the internet's ability to tell you absolutely every little thing about any character in any medium.. Readers like a nice, linear continuity to wikipedia real quick to get every last detail out of something, you just aren't going to get that with Marvel/DC and I'm sure that frustrates a lot of people, even if they're reading a stand-alone Wolverine book or whatever, adding to the illusion that comics are tough to get into.

I can't understand this at all. I would never read the wiki of something I haven't read yet unless it was something I was never going to read or watch (I did this for a couple of weeks with Warcraft because I play Hearthstone but I was never going to read masses of tie-in novels or play WoW). I do have this weird thing where I always check TV Tropes after I've finished a novel just to see it broken down.

Most of the main Wikipedia entries for characters are junk for background though. The Batman one for instance, stops at the beginning of the New 52.

Drayco21

Cyke being all hopefull (no pun intended) that the Phoenix Force taking over Hope will be a good thing and usher in a mutant utopia makes no fucking sense knowing his DECADES of history with the Phoenix Force and how fucked up it is, especially to the love of his life.

Im leaning towards Cyke is a dick for now :p

or, you know, bad writing >_>

Oh man, it just occured to me that when you're done with this, you need to read Muh Phoenix. Such a good palette cleanser.

avx1-15.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it upsets me that Mags is wearing his old ass villain costume during this btw, and not his swagtastic white (or black) new costume

ReAxion

The problem with the thread is it's someone just telling you their preference and that they're not interested enough to change. I cannot think of anything more boring as a discussion topic.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Line in the sand. X-Statix or the other book ( Nausicaa Box ?)

Team X-Statix

GAMEPROFF

Team Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Owzers

so i'm placing mine DCBS order and i notice Danger Club #8....when did that come back? Apparently i missed issue 6 and 7 being solicited too?

I...posted in that thread. I let you all down, guys.

If I get banned, just make sure you stop Kipp's plan to destroy all comics. My sacrifice must not be in vain.

Rhaknar

Rhaknar's not reading Schism? Damn, that's like the one thing that still affects the X-Men to this day.

I added the Schism books to the queue (its only 5 or 6 I believe), and will read them tonight at work actually, before I continue AvX. but not the tie ins because MU doesnt consider it a event for some reason so it doesnt have it all nicely packed together in one page

I have no idea if just the main Schism books are enough. I also want to read Uncanny X-Men #1 (2011) to...err...whatever it was when AvX happened, 10 I think, so see more of this namor and mags team

I also want to read this Wolverine and the X-Men, because it looks/sounds dope

Rhaknar

what thread is this? actually I probably dont want to know

Messi

Why bother wasting time on that guy? He is clearly not there to be convinced. It's pointless. It's like saying I dislike Kanye Wests music so I dislike all music. His art argument makes no sense.

I added the Schism books to the queue (its only 5 or 6 I believe), and will read them tonight at work actually, before I continue AvX. but not the tie ins because MU doesnt consider it a event for some reason so it doesnt have it all nicely packed together in one page

I have no idea if just the main Schism books are enough. I also want to read Uncanny X-Men #1 to...err...whatever it was when AvX happened, 10 I think, so see more of this namor and mags team

I also want to read this Wolverine and the X-Men, because it looks/sounds dope

With Schism, my trade has Schism #1-5, Generation Hope #9-10 and X-Men: Regenesis #1.

Those early issues of Wolverine and the X-Men are just the best thing. I enjoyed the whole run, but those first 8 issues were solid gold.

"Look around you, bruv! We are Waifu and Waifu is us!"

The twist is that we were the waifus all along.

And I am done posting in that thread. This guy... man.... this guy....

I missed one line in the OP, and now I look like a moron. I still think with a lot of them, it comes down to the fact that there are no $200 million One Piece films, and that is Not Okay with them. I don't really like what's happened to geek culture the last few years, and sometimes I think that a "This is a forum about video games. We're all nerds here." disclaimer would go a long way. The struggle of the Geek Hierarchy is real:

It's still bizarre to me that an Avengers film is one of the highest grossing films of all time. I nearly had a stroke when the numbers came in back in the day.

Zombine

Banned
That thread is funny, but what legit got a giggle out of me m8 was that some dude tried to protect the honor of that blonde chobot-clone when JC didn't know her name in the IGN Leaving IGN thread in gaming. I was like "lol nope" and went right back to OT.

It's the Magic School Bus with the X-Men, definitely a fun read.

I wanna know which X book is like Arthur.

SoilBreak

Banned
And I am done posting in that thread. This guy... man.... this guy....

I don't know what I hate more about those threads.

The one guy who be like '' This is why I think comic books will always be stupid because of this *out of context comic panel or some random hostess comic ad from 1977*!!!! "

or some other guy who be like '' EVERY OTHER COMIC BOOK IS SHIT CEPT THESE THREE READ THESE INSTEAD OP''

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's still bizarre to me that an Avengers film is one of the highest grossing films of all time. I nearly had a stroke when the numbers came in back in the day.

So incredible, I still recall Dan Slott going nuts on Twitter over how much money the movie grossed.

Still cant belive that a movie about a green angermonster, a guy in a selfmade robotsuit, a northern god and a drugged up soldier from world war two is the third highest grossing movie of all time. And they are now even more popular. Avengers 2 will beat Titanic easily.

Team Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Also regarding the new book club thread, I vote Nausicaa since I have the deluxe hardcover set but havent finished reading them.

Keep in mind, we're doing Stray Bullets Uber Alles edition next, after Strangers in Paradise. But after that, I'd totally be down for Nausicaa. I've had the box set since around last Xmas, but haven't even started it yet. I'm pretty sure Cheska has it, too.

fauxtrot

Banned
I would just like to welcome back ViewtifulJC's sexy, un-molested avatar.

I vote for his avatar photoshopped onto Harley Quinn's body for February's mascot.

Hey guys, thought I'd share what I got today.

Nice haul. :D

Lemme know how the paintjob is on that Darkchylde figure. I have the Atom Even from that line, and her hair is kind of a mess. They put down the base, but didn't paint completely over it and it shows through in too many spots. I know you're not going to get amazing quality at that price-point, but still.

Top Bottom