• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm all alone at work all night, I can be on my phone all I want without anyone hovering over me, it's sweet. Especially in these winter months where work is slow as shit (hotel for those that don't know), this Note 4 and this MU sub are a godsend

Boogiepop

Well, I hate myself a little for it, but I went ahead and ordered the Hickman FF Omnibuses (and the rest of Exiles, plus Turtles in Time because it was cheap) because the first one's stock starting to dry up is scary. I checked cheapgraphicnovels as a backup to IST... and they have it at just 20% off, AND you need to buy 2 of them as a minimum. I'm going to have to manage to stop spending so much damn money, stupid stuff going out of print!

I'm all alone at work all night, I can be on my phone all I want without anyone hovering over me, it's sweet. Especially in these winter months where work is slow as shit (hotel for those that don't know), this Note 4 and this MU sub are a godsend

Used to work at a hotel Night Audit job, too. Lot of comic reading got done then, pretty chill job except for the homeless people coming up begging for money and the undercover prostitutes that smell like a fish market.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Used to work at a hotel Night Audit job, too. Lot of comic reading got done then, pretty chill job except for the homeless people coming up begging for money and the undercover prostitutes that smell like a fish market.

I miss hookers, haven't seen any in ages. Hard times I guess, no money for ass aparently

Crazies tho, those never stop >_>

frames?

are you the one keeping games from being 60 frames per second

I'm an animator, working on training bullshit right now. I used to freelance in commercials (on like the Geico gecko, Superbowl ads, Bush's Baked Beans dog, etc), but the commute was like 6 hours a day, on top of working 10 - 12 hour days. So I took a job closer to home for a bit, but way less interesting. I would not keep games from being 60 frames per second though.

Rhaknar

How's Kid Nova? Judging it completely separatly from Rider and whatever feelings you have for why kid nova even exists, is it a fun read at least? I know he hangs out with Beta Ray, that's always fun

Also, I am shocked noone suggested the famous cosmic marvel chart yet. Shocked!

You are bad people

man...NO

my boss has a weekly commute from Dallas for five hours, thought that was silly

Yeah it was rough, I did it for like 4 years, it definitely fucks with you. Your life basically is just work, hardly ever saw my GF, so much of my money went into commuting, no time for anything I enjoyed.

I worked on some awesome stuff, but it was like I have no life. Now I have a life, but I work on the most boring, least interesting stuff, for a bunch of assholes. I need to find a balance, and not one or the other.

How's Kid Nova? Judging it completely separatly from Rider and whatever feelings you have for why kid nova even exists, is it a fun read at least? I know he hangs out with Beta Ray, that's always fun

You are bad people
I hear the current Nova run actually got good once Duggan took over. Dunno what issue that was off the top of my head though.

And I love Cosmic Marvel (Thanos Imperative is my favorite Marvel event), but I think that chart got enough usage in OT leading up to Guardians last year. I saw it in like every MCU thread and I got kinda annoyed since everyone kept posting one with illegal download links and no one seemed to say anything about it...

I work retail but a homeless guy stabbed someone in our parking lot in November I think. Glad I was off that night!

I don't really get time to read/do anything fun at work besides occasionally pal around with regular customers and shit. I could probably read an issue during my break but by the time I'm done eating I basically have to go back so I don't bother.

Drayco21

You are bad people

Nova is awful for about 7 issues, then becomes actually interesting until around 9ish when Duggan takes over. Then it becomes the best Cosmic book Marvel is publishing right now, and redeems Loeb's decision to bring Sam into the comics to begin with.

I finished Y: The Last Man in 6 hours.

I finished the entire run of Punisher MAX (Ennis, Aaron, Born, one-shots, and those three arcs in between Ennis and Aaron) in five hours.

81155-Paul-Rudd-Deal-With-It-gif-Img-97BU.gif

Well, I hate myself a little for it, but I went ahead and ordered the Hickman FF Omnibuses (and the rest of Exiles, plus Turtles in Time because it was cheap) because the first one's stock starting to dry up is scary. I checked cheapgraphicnovels as a backup to IST... and they have it at just 20% off, AND you need to buy 2 of them as a minimum. I'm going to have to manage to stop spending so much damn money, stupid stuff going out of print!

Did IST still have that in stock when you bought it? I got my FF omnibus vol 1 from an Ebay seller for 67 with no taxes and free shipping. CGN's discount was pretty negligable

Boogiepop

Did IST still have that in stock when you bought it? I got my FF omnibus vol 1 from an Ebay seller for 67 with no taxes and free shipping. CGN's discount was pretty negligable
No, I couldn't find anything cheaper so I went with Amazon. Didn't even think to check ebay, and I'm not seeing any deals on there now, darn.

Owzers

double shipping killed my whole 15 books a month thing, 26 total books this dcbs pre-order month.

special discount: Descender #1, Howard the Duck #1, Invincible 118, Manhattan Projects Best Book of Forever #1

rest: Batman 40, Multiversity #2 along with Ultra Comics #1

Black Science, East of West, Nameless #2 ( might trade wait), Saga, Walking Dead x 2, Wicked and Divine

All New Cap, Ant Man, Avengers x 2, Bucky, Daredevil, New Avengers x 2, Rocket, Secret Bros, Thor, Uncanny Avengers.

Rhaknar

Which FF run is that amazing scene where Doom destroys Reed's soul by helping deliver his daughter, names her and tells Reed he has to live with that?

Boogiepop

Try this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTASTIC-FO...=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item20e989815e

Also, on somewhat Comics GAF related news, I've stumbled upon BenjaminBirdie's fb account. We have a friend in common apparently.

Huh, a little worried since that listing is kind of weird and it's not a normal looking cover, plus googling the site they don't seem to have a great reputation at least... but they have a good ebay rating, and it's a way better price. I guess it's worth whatever risk there might be here, I guess at least "bootleg" comics aren't really a big worry...

Edit: Also, thanks! As long as this works out you've saved me a solid chunk of change!

Huh, a little worried since that listing is kind of weird and it's not a normal looking cover, plus googling the site they don't seem to have a great reputation at least... but they have a good ebay rating, and it's a way better price. I guess it's worth whatever risk there might be here, I guess at least "bootleg" comics aren't really a big worry...

Edit: Also, thanks! As long as this works out you've saved me a solid chunk of change!

Yeah, but while ebay may suck to sell things on, at least they tend to side with buyers in disputes...

Hoping it doesn't come to that and I can enjoy my fantasic four omni haha

Boogiepop

Yeah, but while ebay may suck to sell things on, at least they tend to side with buyers in disputes...

Hoping it doesn't come to that and I can enjoy my fantasic four omni haha

Yeah. Also, ugh. Stupid ebay and/or Paypal has temporarily kind of screwed me over. I completed the order, thinking it would do the thing like when you bid where it at least used to have you go into payment later, or that Paypal would prompt me in some way, but it automatically did the charge... and my Paypal account is apparently super old and for some reason reads my parent's old card from when we must've used it for something with them because they didn't have one as the first card. And apparently it already charged and I can't find a way to change it to my credit card. So now I'm going to have to fiddle with transferring money and crap? This is stupid/annoying/embarrassing, damn you Paypal!

Also, Ant-Man is launching at $4.99? Lol?
what the shit

now i'm torn if i wanna buy it

Still not down for the art but Rob Liefeld basically owns

(for real tho the criticism of him is boring as fuck and beyond played out at this point. It's just noise and has nothing to do with his skill as an artist)
yup to all this. He gives the best interviews, too

Tell me this isn't super dope though

3i8pOJgUcSmBvfE_7-CBrPXPdsZnu_-A0d_iTGrWoA8SvWh0XraFR7uoWAEnMTjEuAs2000-1024x663.jpg

Definitely don't read Avengers vs X-men: Versus which had
Namor losing a fight underwater.
So stupid.
i... what?

4398341_o.gif

Avengers X-Sanction #1-4 was ok. I dont really care much about the Avengers so seeing Cable whoop their asses was funny.
yooooooo so i guess i gotta read Avengers X-Sanction!
I can't get over how quickly Rhaknar reads his books. My goodness. He would finish Strangers in paradise in 2 evenings.
i think he's catching up on the amount of comics i've read all-time

Rhaknar

Done with X-Force, as in the "pre X-Statix era"

U-Go Girl
:(

Probably one of my favorite arcs in a comic ever, and I haven't gotten to actual X-Statix yet. Just a huge breath of fresh air, from the stories, the art, the characters, I still can't believe Marvel went with it, let alone as canon and not some bizarre alternate universe (although to be fair is anything from it ever mentioned besides Doop?).

And I still have all of X-Statix to read :D

Tizoc

Which FF run is that amazing scene where Doom destroys Reed's soul by helping deliver his daughter, names her and tells Reed he has to live with that?

Oh that took place BEFORE Mark Waid's 2000s FF run. Just read Waid's run for now, it's really really good and has fantastic art.
Also a great short story where Johnny teams up with Spidey.

Oh that took place BEFORE Mark Waid's 2000s FF run. Just read Waid's run for now, it's really really good and has fantastic art.
Also a great short story where Johnny teams up with Spidey.

Love Waid and Wieringo's run on FF. The work they did on Flash is some of my favorite stuff ever and they brought the same spark to the FF. Waid jus really seems to "get" how to write the characters. Also, for reference, Doom didn't fully crush Reed's soul until the "Unthinkable" arc in this run, seriously dark stuff, but awesome all the same.

Guys, help me out here. Is this comic book a standalone? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1401248918/

The description looks really intruiging but I don't wanna buy it if it's a part of some bigger story arc.

There were tie in issues that explain what was happening to other characters during the time period of Forever Evil but the mainline series is completely standalone and readable on its own.

The one tie in I thought was fun and worth it as a companion piece would be Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion.

It follows directly on from Trinity War so you might want to read that first so you know why the CSA is around.

I disagree on this point. The "why" is explained in Forever Evil. The "how" of the event that causes Forever Evil, in Trinity War, doesn't really matter to Forever Evil and it's more or less just three Justice League teams disagreeing on how to proceed, some bickering and a little fighty fighty but nothing that really matters in the end. It had some dumb fun moments but I don't feel it's needed.

Forever Evil.

Gothos

All right :) Bought! My final list:

• Forever Evil HC (The New 52)
  • Lazarus Volume 1 TP
  • Lazarus Volume 2 TP
  • Batman: Earth One TP
  • Black Science Volume 1 TP
  • Daredevil By Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 1 TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)

+ two BluRays (Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner) Now the waiting begins... :)

Tomorrow’s Amazing Spider-Man Will Break Things. Get Offline To Avoid Spoilers. (Bleeding Cool)

I’m not going to run the spoiler. I’m not. But last night, I woke at about 2am to see something that had been emailed to me. I tweeted.

@richjohnston: Woke in the night. Looked on phone, someone emailed me the final page of this week's Amazing Spider-Man. Blimey! Night all, as you were.

And yes. Basically, the ending of this issue is such a major one for Spider-Man, for Spider-Man lore, for Spider-Man fans that it won’t be a secret for long. If you value your spoiler-free-ness, you should probably just get off now. Don’t go on 4chan. Stay off Twitter. Stay off Reddit. Definitely don’t read a national newspaper any time soon, not until you have Amazing Spider-Man #12 in your sweaty hands.

Bleeding Cool will run… something on Wednesday morning. But no spoiler in the headline or image or first paragraph. But by then I expect it will be everywhere.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Still planning on moving to Colorado, Kipp?

That's still the plan! It's still not 100% definitely happening, but it's looking pretty likely. I'm driving up there with my friend next week to look at houses and check things out, so I'm pretty excited!

That sounds like fun though:

"Shit, this costs a lot."

"For real?"

"yup."

"Jace, you just saved the God damn company. Thank you son. Becky, we have got to stop ordering all of these company branded socks."

Hahaha

I don't really get time to read/do anything fun at work besides occasionally pal around with regular customers and shit. I could probably read an issue during my break but by the time I'm done eating I basically have to go back so I don't bother.

Yeah, all these people talking about reading comics at work are making me jealous. I'm in the same boat as you.

Tell me this isn't super dope though

3i8pOJgUcSmBvfE_7-CBrPXPdsZnu_-A0d_iTGrWoA8SvWh0XraFR7uoWAEnMTjEuAs2000-1024x663.jpg

The only thing I can think of when I see that Liefeld page is the Doom Force issue of Doom Patrol. Too good.

Done with X-Force, as in the "pre X-Statix era"

U-Go Girl
:(

Probably one of my favorite arcs in a comic ever, and I haven't gotten to actual X-Statix yet. Just a huge breath of fresh air, from the stories, the art, the characters, I still can't believe Marvel went with it, let alone as canon and not some bizarre alternate universe (although to be fair is anything from it ever mentioned besides Doop?).

And I still have all of X-Statix to read :D

So good. That arc is probably the best of the series. Really, really good stuff. I need to read it again soon.

And I'm curious to know if there have been any shoutouts to any X-Statix members in later comics too. I haven't read any other X-Men comics so I have no idea.
But yeah, it's pretty crazy that Marvel let it happen. Thank goodness they did though.

I finished punisher max in two hours. Come at me.

I finished
one arc of
Punisher MAX in just UNDER two hours. Suck it.

Fintan

Every Spider-man except 60's Cartoon Spidey dies. 60's Cartoon Spidey takes over in 616, sales of Amazing Spider-Man quadruple.

Top Bottom