• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Owzers

Never change Rich, never change. Posts an article whose very headline spoils the end of Future's End, but won't post the Spidey rumor because of reasons. I guess he's afraid of Slott coming after him again.

i stopped going to bleedingcool a bit ago partly because i was annoyed at spoilers on the main page.

Messi

I've learned that my comic book shop gets in just about every statue on day one, and they order whatever you want for you at cost. If it comes broken or you get a shitty looking statue they'll even send it back for you and give you a new one.

Your shop seems really cool. Like Korupts. Mine is shit and they rarely order stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this All New Ultimates book is still in the Ultimate universe I imagine? I thought that thing was long gone

Zombine

Banned
Your shop seems really cool. Like Korupts. Mine is shit and they rarely order stuff.

Variants are always priced appropriately as well. Midtown comics always adds a $10+ premium on variants featuring popular characters, yet my place will sell a book that place is trying to sell for $25+ For $8-10.

My Walking Dead statue was $50 cheaper than everywhere else.

Messi

Variants are always priced appropriately as well. Midtown comics always adds a $10+ premium on variants featuring popular characters, yet my place will sell a book that place is trying to sell for $25+ For $8-10.

My Walking Dead statue was $50 cheaper than everywhere else.

I did get the Adam Hughes Harley Quinn #1 variant for cover price. That is my favorite cover.

Zombine

Banned
I did get the Adam Hughes Harley Quinn #1 variant for cover price. That is my favorite cover.

That is a really amazing piece to own. I hate to say it, but at that point in time I wasn't convinced the book would be any good, so I skipped it.

I know...boo this man.

Messi

That is a really amazing piece to own. I hate to say it, but at that point in time I wasn't convinced the book would be any good, so I skipped it.

I know...boo this man.

troy-shocked-3-o.gif

I was there day 0. I will forgive you this time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stay far away. It is terrible. Pretty covers though. But the interior art is jokes.

yeah the covers is what drew me in. oh well

Read Uncanny X-Men #1-3 (post Schism / pre-AvX), I actually liked it, I thought it was a fun read. It has Cyttorak Colossus, Magneto, Namor and Danger in the team, all things I was always curious about (well Danger only since discovering her in All New X-Factor and reading Astonishing). plus the first 3 issues had Sinister, who im always a fan of.

The problem with these X books tho (actually its a problem with comics in general, I mean Spider Man is the same, Im sure theres a bunch of avengers books, I know that there are a million batman books) is that you "cant" read just 1.

Well you can, and im going to, but I get to the end of the issue and theres like "now heres what else is going on with Cyclops team" and its this book and that book and that book. Its actually one of the things that drove me away from comics all those years ago, it just got too expensive / much to follow

Like why cant there just be Uncanny following Cyclops team, and WATXM following Logan's team and thats that. Well I know WHY (money) but you get my drift

Anyway, Uncanny, fun read :p

yeah the covers is what drew me in. oh well

Read Uncanny X-Men #1-3 (post Schism / pre-AvX), I actually liked it, I thought it was a fun read. It has Cyttorak Colossus, Magneto, Namor and Danger in the team, all things I was always curious about (well Danger only since discovering her in All New X-Factor and reading Astonishing). plus the first 3 issues had Sinister, who im always a fan of.

The problem with these X books tho (actually its a problem with comics in general, I mean Spider Man is the same, Im sure theres a bunch of avengers books, I know that there are a million batman books) is that you "cant" read just 1.

Well you can, and im going to, but I get to the end of the issue and theres like "now heres what else is going on with Cyclops team" and its this book and that book and that book. Its actually one of the things that drove me away from comics all those years ago, it just got too expensive / much to follow

Like why cant there just be Uncanny following Cyclops team, and WATXM following Logan's team and thats that. Well I know WHY (money) but you get my drift

Anyway, Uncanny, fun read :p

Make sure you read Uncanny 534.1-544 too also by Gillen.

Busaiku

I just wish we could get an issue of him messing around in his lab or trying to find some old lady's rare dog and we find out some street gang took it and he beats them up.

Waid would be like "Why u guys stealin' dat puppy? I'm going to take you to the pound if you know what I mean. Man I could go for a cronut right about now. Smell Ya later!"
The annual had him returning a lost phone.

Fintan

I feel like I'm the only one who's middling on Spider-Verse. It's fine, but really feels like it's been a lot of Spider-People just standing around so far, admittedly a cool visual. The vast majority of them are just there to die though. Some story stuff has happened in the tie-ins but I don't know how important that will end up being. The villains are kind of lame and them
basically being cylons
is weird. Silk isn't really an interesting character either.

Holding out hope that Slott will bow out with this story.

Drayco21

I feel like I'm the only one who's middling on Spider-Verse. It's fine, but really feels like it's been a lot of Spider-People just standing around so far, admittedly a cool visual. The vast majority of them are just there to die though. Some story stuff has happened in the tie-ins but I don't know how important that will end up being. The villains are kind of lame and them
basically being cylons
is weird. Silk isn't really an interesting character either.

Holding out hope that Slott will bow out with this story.

As much as I'm enjoying it, I still have some major problems with it, and it all basically stems from the same place- I feel like post Ends of the Earth Slott needs to get off this book. This event should be a celebration of the history of the character and full of multiverse shenanigans, but instead it's full of really mean-spirited bullshit like "hey, remember that cartoon you used to like when you were a kid? Well Morlun does too." Silk was awful in Amazing, and has only gotten worse over this event.

But then it does stuff like give us SP//dr and gives Kaine a chance to hang out with Ben Reilly, and it's hard to stay mad at it.

stopped reading Spider-Verse after the second issue. This whole year is a write-off for Slott's Spidey for me. Goblin Nation was a weak end to what had been a great(nay, superior) run, Learning to Crawl was pointless, the intro story had Peter being upstaged by half a dozen people and Black Cat with the world's dumbest eeeeevil characterzation, and Spider-Verse is just a bust for me.

I think I like Slott's Spider-Man in yearly installments. 2011 was very strong start, a good mix of smaller street-level stories like the Vulture two-parter and the Wraith/Anti-Venom story(that wrapped up a 100-issue long sub-plot with Mr. Negative in a very satisfying fashion) mixed with some bigger stories that still landed like the return of the Spider-Slayer, No One Dies, and Spider-Island, far and away the best Spider-Man event ever. It has some sputters along the way, like the Fantastic Four stuff, but it came out twice a month and it worked a lot more than it didn't.

2012 was mostly wack. There were a couple good small arcs, like the Dr. Who flavored time machine two-parter or the Lizard 4-parter which was v.good, but a lot of it was junk. Ends of the Earth was generic, Alpha was awful(sorry Rafa), the fill-in stories felt like filler, and I really didn't care for Dying Wish.

2013 really surprised me, though. By and large, he made me a fan of Otto-Peter, how his actions worked differently around the supporting cast and how he tackled crime, and it was a really fun ride knowing it was only temporary. Ryan Stegman did a lot of work that year too, that guy is fuckin' great.

But 2014 has been what the hell ever. So going by this streak, 2015 is gonna be great!

PsychBat!

Banned
At least give Part 3 a shot. You really don't have anything to lose.
Besides money.

But I do agree with your assessment JC, 2014 has been a really rough re-entry for Amazing Spider-Man. But I think it really picks up in Spider-Verse in comparison to the rest of what was done previously with the Original Sin thing and the Black Cat arc. Plus, we got two issues of SpOck in 2014 so it ain't all bad.

Zombine

Banned
I smell a Waid Daredevil hater around these parts.

>.>
<.<

Love Daredevil, loved Kingdom Come, enjoyed his take on The Rocketeer, but his Peter Parker is trapped in the 70s-80s. I thought his dialogue for Peter in the OHC was wack. Not as wack as say Ghostrider, but it wasnt good.

Marvel has released a poster for the Ant Man movie:

mQhsPyh.jpg

Brilliant.

I Thought you were posting a Skottie Young variant for a minute.

Fintan

Yeah, Superior was pretty good, but as you say, it didn't really end well at all and I think it's been followed up on very poorly. Like I think it would be cool, if after following Otto for so long, getting his perspective and sympathising with him, they took the other side. Acknowledge how Otto was villainous as Spider-Man (a murderer etc.) but instead it felt like "That Otto!", boys will be boys style thing and they just wanted to move on like nothing happened.

They even sort of skirted around a proper Peter/Otto confrontation due to timeline shenanigans.

I'm still catching up on the beginnings of Slott's run having stopped Spidey with BND.

Top Bottom