• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

it bothers me that they use Uncanny willy nilly these days, thats supposed to be a X-Men thing :(

more evidence of the x-men being replaced kappa

wait...did Namor just fuck some sort of creepy fish alien queen lady? >_>

A mere gentleman does not tell. A king is far more discreet.

Saw the ASM spoiler and apparently it's not as big a deal as Rich made it out to be.

checking my PMs...

I forget the AV club does comics stuff. Is it good? I only ever glance at some of their tv reviews

Tim O' Neil from When Will The Hurting Stop post there occasionally

ok done with the Uncanny X-Men reboot (issues 1-10, 11 is part of AvX so not reading that yet) up to AvX, now onto Wolverine and the X-Men, which im excited for. After I catch up that book with AvX Ill go back to the event.

Quick note on Uncanny, Ive already said it, but I actually really liked it. Im sorry if its shit, but what can you do. I like the team, I like the dynamic, I like the art, its just a fun read imo. Also, this guy is awesome:

uxm009-p08.jpg

im hoping he's involved in AvX since he seems to know about the Phoenix

you read S.W.O.R.D. right? Same writer, and that's where UNIT comes from. He's great.

perhaps the heaviest things we lift and carry are not our weights, but our feels

deep

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How do you screw that concept up? It practically writes itself!
I just dont like how the characters were written. I hate it when Spidey is unreasonably funny for like the whole issue and even the X-Men students were joking all the time without beeing funny at all.
Also it got this one strange subplot with a student who is a mole and it doesnt make sense at all for me, why Wolverine would ask Spider-Man in this case...

At least it got with Stegron one of my favorite obscure Villains, but he was shitty, to...

No, as far I really dont like this book.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sticking with Spider-Man and the X-Men. Great concept but terrible execution. Like I said, it's not awful but holy shit it was a chore to get through each page.

Zombine

Banned
I just dont like how the characters were written. I hate it when Spidey is unreasonably funny for like the whole issue and even the X-Men students were joking all the time without beeing funny at all.
Also it got this one strange subplot with a student who is a mole and it doesnt make sense at all for me, why Wolverine would ask Spider-Man in this case...

At least it got with Stegron one of my favorite obscure Villains, but he was shitty, to...

No, as far I really dont like this book.

Like an actual mole animal, a mutant mole, or someone posing as a student?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
WATXM is my favorite book right now I think.

#2 was just as good. I actually didn't care for the kid villains in schism but they are great here. Bobby being a fucking bad ass and making an army of ice clones. Broo. Frankenstein monsters with flame throwers. Quentin being a loveable asshole actually has potential. And dat Bachalo art, damn son, how many little details can the guy cram into a page? I love everything about this.

Shame it's not around anymore, I forgot Wolverine is "dead" now, but I checked on MU and it seems to be 42 issues long so that's pretty decent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Like an actual mole animal, a mutant mole, or someone posing as a student?

I assume the latter, otherwise it makes no goddamn sense at all.

God that sounds bad. This book should have been amazing and yet it sounds like boring shit. How do you even do that?

tim1138

you don't like feels?

I hate that stupid Internet slang bullshit. I'm probably not the demographic for this book...

We've really got to work on starting that Ody-C hype train. Book is fantastic and nobody said shit about #1 around these parts.

I didn't talk it up because the initial digital release was missing the giant spread and like the last page, so on my initial read through it felt super disjointed to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you read S.W.O.R.D. right? Same writer, and that's where UNIT comes from. He's great.

Didn't even know there was a S.W.O.R.D. series, I did notice they are in the X books a lot which was unexpected, and I like Brand. Adding it to the queue :) MU only has 5 issues, was it just a mini series or not everything is up?

Sorry for my bad english :D someone who is a spy... I think it was for the hellfire university?i cant recall it exactly at the moment.

Your english was fine. It's just one of the quirk of comics that if you say mole it could actually, literally mean, a mole. Like, a rodent. Especially where you have mutants.

Also, Zombine is sassy today.

Rhaknar

is Adam Kubert still around? I remember really liking his art back in the day

Maybe I'm just not reading the right stuff but it feels like most of the time people are just like "he's writing a dozen books! and they're not terrible!" Which, yeah sure that's cool but being dependably solid isn't that much of a draw unless he's paired with an artist I like a lot (She-Hulk, pretty much)

re: Cade: both the AV Club comics guys like him a lot

"not terrible" is exactly how i'd describe the few books i've read of his. just random issues of Red Lanterns, Superman/WW, She Hulk, maybe a few others. It's not a draw at all for me but the publishers probably love him

Boogiepop

Got the rest of those manga I imported in bulk today, despite the darn snow! Both the things contained within ended up kind of unusual in there own way. the complete set of Yawara! is just kind of bizarre to see since the covers are all done up in some sort of photo-realist art style, and it's weird to see manga characters like that.

And then I got all the bunkoban for Kindaichi Case Files, which I thought would catch me up on the whole series, which is 66 volumes long in normal volumes. So I opened the box they were in and because of the packaging/ordering being the way it was the last one (which is #34) was outside of the box with the rest of them, and it looked about the size of/maybe a little smaller than a normal volume and I was like "oh crap, something's not right here!" So it turns out that the bunkoban actually collect the "Files" of the story, so one arc per book (so they also vary wildly in size). And then in the normal volumes they're up to the start of File 40, so the bunkoban are a bit behind right now. And then it turns out there are separate ones for the short cases and the spinoffs, which comes as 5 and 2 volumes respectively but would otherwise be interspersed in the normal volumes. So yeah, the case of the missing content is solved, and to be fair I would've probably held off on that other stuff even if I knew about it till I dug into the main series and got a taste for it, but that definitely caught me off guard since it's such an unusual way to collect a series!

Sorry for posting stuff that probably nobody else here cares about and is only vaguely on topic again, guys! I swear I'll read more actual comics again soon!

I still can, and I have all my bills and shit paid off for the month, but it's the "what if?" Situations that are making me slow down.

Dude, my week has been crazy. I bought Freddy and Jason bishoujos, I bought the Bayonetta 2 artbook, I bought the Hong Kong version of the Evangelion 3.33 blu-ray because I'm tired of waiting for Funimation's version. I ordered a pre-owned Kotobukiya 1/6 Mari Illustrious Makinami, and I just bought the second Casanova hardcover. That's not even counting pre-orders, and I don't even know what's next. XD

Hopefully Gwen statue doesn't get delayed again. :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipper Squad

All he needs is a Hellboy avatar with a monocle and a pipe.

Is Kipper Squad a reference to something? Need photo reference. Will draw new avatar.
I mean, I don't really need a photo reference to draw Hellboy with a monocle and pipe, but I still want to know what character I'm trying to draw Hellboy imitating.

And it came out about 9 years ago but he was also the artist of Batman & Son

Batman & Son was 9 years ago!? That's nuts.

Got the rest of those manga I imported in bulk today, despite the darn snow! Both the things contained within ended up kind of unusual in there own way. the complete set of Yawara! is just kind of bizarre to see since the covers are all done up in some sort of photo-realist art style, and it's weird to see manga characters like that.

And then I got all the bunkoban for Kindaichi Case Files, which I thought would catch me up on the whole series, which is 66 volumes long in normal volumes. So I opened the box they were in and because of the packaging/ordering being the way it was the last one (which is #34) was outside of the box with the rest of them, and it looked about the size of/maybe a little smaller than a normal volume and I was like "oh crap, something's not right here!" So it turns out that the bunkoban actually collect the "Files" of the story, so one arc per book (so they also vary wildly in size). And then in the normal volumes they're up to the start of File 40, so the bunkoban are a bit behind right now. And then it turns out there are separate ones for the short cases and the spinoffs, which comes as 5 and 2 volumes respectively but would otherwise be interspersed in the normal volumes. So yeah, the case of the missing content is solved, and to be fair I would've probably held off on that other stuff even if I knew about it till I dug into the main series and got a taste for it, but that definitely caught me off guard since it's such an unusual way to collect a series!

Sorry for posting stuff that probably nobody else here cares about and is only vaguely on topic again, guys! I swear I'll read more actual comics again soon!

So did you buy this in Japanese or English?

Speaking of Manga, I've been reading something called Oishinbo that seems to have run for 111+ (!) volumes in Japan. Goes into crazy detail about a lot of Japanese food. Makes me very hungry after reading it.

I wonder why no one in comics has ever tried to do something in a more Manga staple genre like food or sports. Or maybe they have, and I don't know about it.

Owzers

Ms. Marvel #10 - Another book i stopped pre-ordering after this issue. It was an enjoyable read, i liked some of Kamala's dialog in the issue
mainly the crack about being president
, but i still don't like the Inventor arc at all. Random 6/10.

Zombine

Banned
Dude, my week has been crazy. I bought Freddy and Jason bishoujos, I bought the Bayonetta 2 artbook, I bought the Hong Kong version of the Evangelion 3.33 blu-ray because I'm tired of waiting for Funimation's version. I ordered a pre-owned Kotobukiya 1/6 Mari Illustrious Makinami, and I just bought the second Casanova hardcover. That's not even counting pre-orders, and I don't even know what's next. XD

Hopefully Gwen statue doesn't get delayed again. :(

When is the exact date for Gwen? I have been going back through my pre-orders to make sure I don't have any surprises on there.

oh sweet, Death of Wolverine HC comes out this week and is 50% off on IST. Gonna put that in the cart with Stray Bullets. Now i need something that's $5 or under...

Messi

Ms. Marvel #10 - Another book i stopped pre-ordering after this issue. It was an enjoyable read, i liked some of Kamala's dialog in the issue
mainly the crack about being president
, but i still don't like the Inventor arc at all. Random 6/10.

Kind of agree with this... Is this how the world ends?

I finished the canonical part of Fear Agent Library Edition 2 last night. Still have to finish the tales of the fear agent though. Which are really enjoyable one-shots.

Overall some thoughts:

All of the time travel shenanigans present in the first book makes more sense now. Overall I think it's a really depressing book. Heath goes to a really depressing place in book 2. The look at how the "prime" body turned out was a neat look into the kind of person he could be.

I thought it was odd how everyone said that Yorke was an idiot but there was never really much of an explanation as to why.

I really didn't like how Mara's story ended. She's a huge part of the first half of the book, but I think her story ends with a whimper. I guess it's supposed to parallel Heath and how he is a stronger person deep down.

Anyways, I'd highly recommend the Library editions. There a pretty decent value for the quality of the story.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Spider-Verse, aka the best event in years.

Also, anyone else SUPER hyped for Mortal Kombat #1? Or is it just me?

Mindwipe

On the Spidey "shock"

Yeah, that's nothing. Ben is alive on a different dimension! Well yeah, no shit. Ben is a fucking rabbit in another dimension too, and that isn't a big change to cannon either.

Zombine

Banned
January. I know for sure she didn't get delayed beyond that [yet]. I'll have to check Statueforum later and see if anymore shipping updates got posted. But I assume she's on track since Death only got delayed by a month.

Gah, my first paycheck at my new job is the 26th. I should be fine though.

Mindwipe

My copy of Sunstone turned up. US-GAF, is the paper quality shit on your copies too? Mine feels almost like it's water damaged it's so bad.

Didn't even know there was a S.W.O.R.D. series, I did notice they are in the X books a lot which was unexpected, and I like Brand. Adding it to the queue :) MU only has 5 issues, was it just a mini series or not everything is up?

only got five issues before it was cancelled :(

its a complete story tho, and its got. And it has UNIT!

is Adam Kubert still around? I remember really liking his art back in the day

Read Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine

Top Bottom