• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

I'm not paying an MCU tax for a book that was timed with a commercial to get some money out of suckers. I'll stick to my oversized $3.50 Image books.

The Industry is going to continue to nosedive if Marvel believe that their fans are going to pay $4+ a week on their shit when there are better options out there.

Not really. Print will die out before Marvel does. Can't imagine there is this giant market for all those Image hardcovers, it's only grognards like us that buy those, same as Marvel $4.99 book.

If Image had an Unlimited option I would buy the shit out of it. I'd settle for tomorrow's Humble Bundle being Image Bundle 2 though. The first one was great for getting some new readers.

This was posted on FigureGAF and I thought you guys might enjoy it:

Enji-Night-Super-Girl-Dance-Through-The-Mall-In-Cute-Cosplay.gif

I like how the parent is like "don't look at her baby, lets go back to talking with Spider-Man here"

I took a picture with a Squirrel Girl at SDCC several years ago. It was a good costume.

Also got one with a Doctor Doom that looked good

MG310

My Midtown order from when they accidentally made every back issue 75 percent off shipped intact. Ended up being 66 dollars for 51 books.

They shorted me 1 Harley but threw in an extra Amazing Spidey.

Messi, if you make it to NYCC I am armed with things for people to draw Harley on for you.

My Midtown order from when they accidentally made every back issue 75 percent off shipped intact. Ended up being 66 dollars for 51 books.

Messi, if you make it to NYCC I am armed with things for people to draw Harley on for you.

those... aren't all for you, are they? I thought I had too many with 5

MG310

those... aren't all for you, are they? I thought I had too many with 5

I am prepared for all possible future sketch opportunities aside from Batman. I only had one. I wish I bought more of the first issue of Waid's Daredevil when it was around Still have a couple left.

Why pay $5 for a Marvel comic when you can just buy a secondhand digital code from Ebay for $2 tho

This is almost like one of those ads for animal shelters.

"This beautiful Ant-Man #1 is full colour, almost 40 pages, and could find a loving home on your e-reader with your generous donations."

I'm not paying an MCU tax for a book that was timed with a commercial to get some money out of suckers. I'll stick to my oversized $3.50 Image books.

The Industry is going to continue to nosedive if Marvel believe that their fans are going to pay $4+ a week on their shit when there are better options out there.

>shrug<

Guess we'll see.

I feel like people said the exact same thing at "$3+".

Probably in these exact threads.

I am prepared for all possible future sketch opportunities aside from Batman. I only had one. I wish I bought more of the first issue of Waid's Daredevil when it was around Still have a couple left.
I can empathize, it's why I have so many, relatively speaking. If I find them for cover price, I usually buy them if it's a book i had any interest in. Idk if i'll ever get a sketch of Green Lantern or Magnus, Robot Fighter, but hey, I have them in case I suddenly want to
yikes at that thread

I just got this. Damn.

anaron

>shrug<

Guess we'll see.

I feel like people said the exact same thing at "$3+".

Probably in these exact threads.
You really don't think there's a ceiling for people?

I can barely afford getting 5 comics at a time as it is, I'm sure as hell not going to sample any future new series if the new standard price is even more

Bii

Yay! I'm glad you got them. I was going to pull the trigger on a ton of blank covers as well but most sketches I'll get from here on out will be in my sketchbook.

I still have a few blanks for other series that I've been meaning to get someone to draw on but haven't really plan out my day at a convention to get it done.

Zombine

Banned
it's only grognards like us that buy those, same as Marvel $4.99 book.

I think that's why we have to actually push back when Marvel tries to test the market with shit like this. We are the ones who control the market, and for once it would be nice if we shat on any publisher trying to pull this crap.

It's not like it had any major extra from what I could see. It was the same shite marvel paper, no holofoil, no stickers or exclusive downloads or anything...just "Hey guys, Paul Rudd.
pay us $5. Wasn't Agent Carter great last night? Reward us you fucking nerds."

anaron

I think that's why we have to actually push back when Marvel tries to test the market with shit like this. We are the ones who control the market, and for once it would be nice if we shat on any publisher trying to pull this crap.

It's not like it had any major extra from what I could see. It was the same shite marvel paper, no holofoil, no stickers or exclusive downloads or anything...just "Hey guys, Paul Rudd, pay us $5."

AGREED

You really don't think there's a ceiling for people?

I can barely afford getting 5 comics at a time as it is, I'm sure as hell not going to sample any future new series if the new standard price is even more

lol of course

there's a ceiling for me bro.

half my comics are on the Wish List and I only buy my must buys on Wednesdays. But I certainly don't base it on whether or not a comic is "worth it". It's more because I just don't have time to read them all in between all my ongoing reread projects.

So my ceiling is volume.

I only never believe the price thing because people have been saying the same thing for a decade now and prices have kept rising and readership has stayed rock solid at 150k.

yikes at that thread

Speaking as someone with mental problems, That "I'd rather live in a bubble of happiness than the real world" guy that always pops up in those threads has some problems.

Did anyone from here venture into the other moe one that was up around Christmas? That was a car wreck of thread, yet I couldn't stop refreshing. Some of those anime figures, yeesh.

I can't believe anyone would defend marvel's ridiculous pricing

Oh, I fully believe people have the right to complain about it. Definitely think that Marvel's pricing has a lot to do with speculator culture and how it ties into comic book culture in general. Marvel wouldn't print 70 Star Wars covers if someone wasn't willing to buy 'em.

It's not like it had any major extra from what I could see. It was the same shite marvel paper, no holofoil, no stickers or exclusive downloads or anything...just "Hey guys, Paul Rudd.
pay us $5. Wasn't Agent Carter great last night? Reward us you fucking nerds."

That's why I pay for digital. I totally agree you're getting ripped off with print. It's a substandard delivery method and you're paying for several steps away from the pure artistic vision of the creators due to bad paper and diluted coloring.

Digital comics are the only things worth full price if you ask me. I would only get print if I had a good discount with a quality retailer like California's own Sterling Silver Comics.

anaron

lol of course

there's a ceiling for me bro.

half my comics are on the Wish List and I only buy my must buys on Wednesdays. But I certainly don't base it on whether or not a comic is "worth it". It's more because I just don't have time to read them all in between all my ongoing reread projects.

So my ceiling is volume.

I only never believe the price thing because people have been saying the same thing for a decade now and prices have kept rising and readership has stayed rock solid at 150k.
I dunno, I actually do think 4.99 could be the dealbreaker for a lot of people if it means having to cut a bunch of their regular pulls

That's why I pay for digital. I totally agree you're getting ripped off with print. It's a substandard delivery method and you're paying for several steps away from the pure artistic vision of the creators due to bad paper and diluted coloring.

Digital comics are the only things worth full price if you ask me. I would only get print if I had a good discount with a quality retailer like California's own Sterling Silver Comics.

But with digital, you are also completely giving up any chance of selling your comics if you don't want them anymore.

Zombine

Banned

And I can even agree that there are times when a book is so mind blowingly fantastic and so well written that it might deserve a higher price point, but this is fucking Ant-Man Bros. He didn't bitch slap Thanos, he didn't wife beat Tony Stark or get thrown in jail or do any crazy shit...it was a preview for a movie banking on a trailer to make people blindly buy it.

Digital though...hot damn. I can't wait to download my Squirrel Girl issue and read it again there. Those colors are gonna pop.

tim1138

But with digital, you are also completely giving up any chance of selling your comics if you don't want them anymore.

Unless you have graded Silver or Golden Age comics (or Walking Dead or Saga #1), selling comics is a joke. They literally aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Nudull

Banned
This so cute, I love it!

Finished both Ant-Man #1 and Squirrel Girl #1, both really solid issues, with some surprisingly touching moments in Ant-Man especially.

Hm, did either come with codes? I might be able to trade for some of my unused Marvel ones.

MG310

Yay! I'm glad you got them. I was going to pull the trigger on a ton of blank covers as well but most sketches I'll get from here on out will be in my sketchbook.

I still have a few blanks for other series that I've been meaning to get someone to draw on but haven't really plan out my day at a convention to get it done.

Yeah, I don't always like to get stuff on covers depending on the artist but figured I might as well stock up while they were so cheap.

Grabbed a bunch of Harleys because the people who did the Roller Derby look for me said they had fun with that one.

I dunno, I actually do think 4.99 could be the dealbreaker for a lot of people if it means having to cut a bunch of their regular pulls

If it is it'll probably be pretty obvious and they'd cut back the price, but I have to reiterate, people said the exact same thing about 3.99. Nobody believed Marvel would be able to sell anything on CMX at 3.99 for like, what, it takes 8 months for that price to go down? They pointed to DC's 2.99 at the start and then 1.99 the next month.

So what happened? DC moved their 1.99 to another month out.

The Marvel strategy won.

I'm not "defending" it. I'm explaining the reality, and my decision to continue to support the artform I enjoy with money for the people who participate in it. "Talking with my wallet" would mean I have to miss out on comics by incredibly talented people, and that's not worth it to me.

It's like "Man, what the hell. Movie prices are outrageous. To make a point, I'm going to not see a Paul Thomas Anderson movie."

That'll show…who, exactly? I'm not "defending" ticket prices. I'm acknowledging the value proposition offered by movie theaters, weighing it against my desire to see their product offering, and making a decision.

People have their own personal thresholds, and the only place I balk at this sort of thing is like publicly framing it like you're taking a stand for justice.

It's all subjective. We can have a conversation about where you think it will lead and how long it will take, but neither of us is "right".

Messi

YES! I will remember this lol

I need to go digital. I have finally gotten fed up of going to the goddamn comic book shop every week a grand day late and they being OOS of books I wanted.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The Newbies:

Squirrel Girl #1: Unrepentant try hard shit. Faces are a huge nightmare, and the whole thing is like one never-ending cutaway from the terrible Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. The pitfalls of a writer coming from an "oh so randuhm" cartoon adaption I guess.

Ant-Man #1: On a day where the trailer flubs, the comic prevails big time. The final two pages are probably the most well executed bang on "Ant-Man Concept" feels I've ever felt for the property, and I don't even really like Scott Lang. Nick Spencer had a rough while at Marvel there, but he has now consecutively nailed this shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do they ever explain how Kitty got off the giant bullet flying through space?

Zombine

Banned
I need to go digital. I have finally gotten fed up of going to the goddamn comic book shop every week a grand day late and they being OOS of books I wanted.

Literally the only problem I have is letting go of the staff. They are some great people.

Do you guys think I will enjoy Squirrel Girl? Some people making me nervous.

Bro. It's fantastic. It's the best Marvel book of the week for me. I honestly thought it was a better Harley Quinn.

Drayco21

The Newbies:

Squirrel Girl #1: Unrepentant try hard shit. Faces are a huge nightmare, and the whole thing is like one never-ending cutaway from the terrible Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. The pitfalls of a writer coming from an "oh so randuhm" cartoon adaption I guess.

Ant-Man #1: On a day where the trailer flubs, the comic prevails big time. The final two pages are probably the most well executed bang on "Ant-Man Concept" feels I've ever felt for the property, and I don't even really like Scott Lang. Nick Spencer had a rough while at Marvel there, but he has now consecutively nailed this shit.

Agreed strongly on both accounts. I can't believe I'm so disappointed in Squirrel Girl- I've been hoping she'd get an ongoing for years now.

Messi

Literally the only problem I have is letting go of the staff. They are some great people.

Bro. It's fantastic. It's the best Marvel book of the week for me I honestly thought it was a better Harley Quinn.

I won't be having this kind of chatter around here Zombine. You should know better.

Unless you have graded Silver or Golden Age comics (or Walking Dead or Saga #1), selling comics is a joke. They literally aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I have literally been throwing away comics for five years now. En masse, weekly comics are worth absolutely nothing. They go to the library.

Interesting. I would have assumed you would get at least $1 or so back if you put them on eBay or something.

This isn't a realistic option for lots of people, including me. The nearest FLCS is 90 minutes away by bus, for books that aren't bagged or anything and even a $2.99 book is &#8364;6, whereas it would be half that on CMX even with VAT increases. The only option for print around here is the UK reprints which are 12-18 months behind. Worse, the reprints have become so squeezed that Avengers Universe isn't printing the Hickman run, and Essential X-Men is Bendis books only. It is, to be frank, a mug's game.

Also, who could be bothered haggling with people on eBay and stuff in 2014? I just want the story. Comics are a terrible investment, speculating nearly torpedoed the industry and we seem to be well on the way to another crash when the movie bubble bursts. If I'm worried about cash, I'll put the money into my savings and not buy the comics at all..

do they ever explain how Kitty got off the giant bullet flying through space?

It's covered in Uncanny #522.

Magneto pulls the space bullet back and frees Kitty as his way of showing the X-Men he comes in peace.

What tablets do you digital dudes use?

Nook HD+. Showing its' age but it still does the job. Might get a Nexus 9 after I get a new computer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
S.W.O.R.D. #1 and 2 were fucking awesome. Now im bummed theres only 5

I love Brand, I love Unit. I love that giant robot bounty hunter. Beast was a unexpected surprise, and im a big fan of Beast so its the cherry on top

It's covered in Uncanny #522.

Magneto pulls the space bullet back and frees Kitty as his way of showing the X-Men he comes in peace.

yeah im really going to have to read those last few uncanny issues before the schism reboot arent I?

Zombine

Banned
I won't be having this kind of chatter around here Zombine. You should know better.

No, really. It's better than the worst issue of that book, and rivals one of its best. I love what they did with Squirrel Girl, and you will genuinely enjoy what happens in #1.

Top Bottom