• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

tim1138

I feel slightly bad about waiting for MU on stuff but then again if i don't, what's the point of MU?

The way I look at it, if MU didn't exist they'd even less of my money for stuff like this because I'd just wait for the library to get the trade. This way they at least get my $70 a year.

If Squirrel Girl was $3, I'd bite, but not at $4.

Zombine

Banned
I just realized that my Mezco TDKR Batman should be coming soon. That is going to be awesome. I've already moved on to the Judge Dredd they're teasing though.

I just realized that my Mezco TDKR Batman should be coming soon. That is going to be awesome. I've already moved on to the Judge Dredd they're teasing though.

Looks awesome:

NYCC14MezDredd3.jpg

Got a job interview Friday. If I get it, this may follow. We live in hope.

Drayco21

Thoughts and stuff on new books I've read so far this week:

Amazing Spider-Man #12
The reveal at the end still falls flat even with context, so whatever "internet breaking" they were hoping for sure ain't happening there. You know what was cool enough to deserve breaking the internet?
Mother. Fucking. Leopardon. I was starting to think the Supaidaman was going to be relegated to that short cameo in the Web of Life and nothing more, but dat Mech Assault. Holy shit, son.
It's a shame they then immediately sacrificed him to the Spider-Verse grinder, but Dan Slott is contractually obligated to mess something up in every cool moment. Speaking of, it's cool to see SP//dr get to be on-panel and be part of the group- I still wish she was getting an ongoing instead of Spider-Gwen, Silk or Jess. Still, Spider-Verse is continuing to be a really fun arc and significantly better than anything else Slott has done on the book since Spider Island.

Angela: Asgard's Assassin #2
This was just okay, I suppose. The art looked really nice, and I really enjoyed the culture clash of Angela trying to work through what the Angels claim about the people of Asgard and what they actually are, but on the whole, the book just kinda seemed forgettable. It probably doesn't help that I still don't like Angela being part of the Marvel Universe, or that everything about the way she's been incorporated into the Thor mythos reads like shitty fan-fiction.

Ant-Man #1
Probably my favorite book of the week. The most compelling thing about Lang has always been how hard his home life is trying to balance being a good dad with his super hero life and ex-con background while trying to make ends meet, and I'm glad this book is focusing on that and not just punching things. Getting to make an ass out of the Superior Iron Man along the way is just the cherry on top. I knew Spencer wouldn't let us down after Superior Foes, and while this doesn't really scratch that same itch for me, it's shaping up to be a really good book.

Batman Eternal #40
I still like Batman Eternal more than any other Bat book getting published right now, but I sorta ran out of things to say about it months ago. It's still a good looking book, I still enjoy most of the plot threads and I still really want to see where they're all going, but this week's issue felt like wheel turning and absolutely nothing actually happening. I get the feeling you could probably read Batman Eternal #39 and then skip to next week's issue without having missed a single thing.

Green Arrow #38
The drop in quality from Lemire's stuff to the current run is still extremely noticeable, and a real bummer, but it's also still leagues better than this book started off as when the New 52 began, so it's not like I'll drop it anytime soon. Hal and Ollie teaming up ended up being really fun, even if it didn't really make much sense for Hal to show up on Earth at all at this point, much less to fight street crime in Seattle.

Spider-Man 2099 #7
I was really enjoying Miguel's adventures in 2014, so as much as I like Spider-Verse, the 2099 tie-in issues have just been a deviation from what I really liked about that series before it, and from the sounds of future solicits, we may not be going back to what I liked about the book any time soon. Still, Miguel and Lady-Spider are both pretty fun characters, and I'm enjoying their team dynamic, even if it has to bounce off the most boring member of Morlun's boring family. What really made this issue was
the cameo from Punisher 2099.
So good.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1
On the opposite end of the spectrum from Ant-Man to me- I wasn't really thinking this would do anything for me, but holy shit, I wasn't expecting to straight up despise everything about this book the way I actually did. The art looks even worse than I expected from the announcements- it looks like a lower budget knockoff version of a webcomic or something, and the writing remained thoroughly cringe worthy and awful from start to finish. I can't actually believe how bad this book is.

PsychBat!

Banned
Spider-Man 2099 Spoilers:
FUCKING PUNISHER 2099!!!
WOOOOOOOOOO!
Thoughts and stuff on new books I've read so far this week:

Amazing Spider-Man #12
The reveal at the end still falls flat even with context, so whatever "internet breaking" they were hoping for sure ain't happening there. You know what was cool enough to deserve breaking the internet?
Mother. Fucking. Leopardon. I was starting to think the Supaidaman was going to be relegated to that short cameo in the Web of Life and nothing more, but dat Mech Assault. Holy shit, son.
It's a shame they then immediately sacrificed him to the Spider-Verse grinder, but Dan Slott is contractually obligated to mess something up in every cool moment. Speaking of, it's cool to see SP//dr get to be on-panel and be part of the group- I still wish she was getting an ongoing instead of Spider-Gwen, Silk or Jess. Still, Spider-Verse is continuing to be a really fun arc and significantly better than anything else Slott has done on the book since Spider Island.
Agreed 99%. I honestly don't mind Spider-Gwen getting her own book though. Everything was great about this book but the spoiler just falls flat.

trade waiters(or Kipps as I call them in casual conversation) killed dan slott's The Thing and Gillen/Sander's S.W.O.R.D., now they coming for Squirrel Girl

is nothing sacred to you people

Maybe Marvel should let some teams, especially those who might not have a large audience at $4, write trades directly.

NEO0MJ

Book 3 is on another damn level from the first two books. Its the reason why Miracleman got legendary in the first place, and its still a damn good comic after legions of people have pilfered and polished up its ideas(including Alan Moore himself with Watchmen)

You're getting me so pumped. A shame how long until book 3. How many books will they release? And other than Swamp Thing and Watchmen what are some other recommended reads by the Original Writer?

E the Shaggy

Spider-Man 2099 Spoilers:
FUCKING PUNISHER 2099!!!
WOOOOOOOOOO!

Agreed 99%. I honestly don't mind Spider-Gwen getting her own book though. Everything was great about this book but the spoiler just falls flat.

Oh shit. This is now a must buy for me.

Does he say any ridiculously over the top lines?

J10

Banned
Squirrels in pants? Squirrels on head? Kraven tossed into the air over and over forever until it's the future where everything is awesome?

LOL

Or make them 2.99

It is possible that the $2.99 price doesn't work for some teams due to the expenses involved. Printing + distribution + overhead for 5 individual issues must be more expensive than printing + distribution + overhead for 1 trade. They could keep the advertising in the trade.

True, the cost commitment is higher but it might give the creative team more than one oversized issue pages to make something a "must buy". In case the book doesn't do well, we still get one complete arc with a conclusion, instead of the writer trying to wrap up an ongoing series once he/she gets a cancellation notice. If the series does well, they can always jump back to single issues. This also has a chance of capturing the "the series will get cancelled after 2 issues anyway" crowd. (And us trade waiters of course).

It is possible that the $2.99 price doesn't work for some teams due to the expenses involved. Printing + distribution + overhead for 5 individual issues must be more expensive than printing + distribution + overhead for 1 trade. They could keep the advertising in the trade.

NO! BOLD!

Go to your room and think about what you've done.

Detective Comics was quite interesting. The ending in particular.
Batman or the GCPD blamed for killing an unarmed boy. Commentary for the recent news?
. Art is gorgeous of course and once again, arc is starting off really strong. Hopefully the creative team can stick the landing unlike the last arc.

Batman Eternal good as always. We're getting close to the events of Batman 28. Loved the art in this one. Davide Furno & Paolo Armitano.

I'm sorry, but those feels are not worth $5. Maybe if it was more than 33 pages.

>shrug<

Have fun with other hobbies.

It's not like Marvel is buying rocket cars and gold mansions.

The industry is in straight nosedive. It's not like it's not your right to balk at prices, but to say "This is a good comic but not worth X," like, sorry, this is how much "good comics" sometimes have to cost now.

If that's your ceiling, bummer, but comics aren't going to stop just for you.

Just bought wytches for a dollar. Bless up

Time to see if it's good or not, I really enjoy snyder and jock's work tho

Comics stop for me tbh

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Such a cool emotional scene at the end of the dark angel saga washed away with "lol we're just fucking with you, Warren's fine he's just amnesiac" >_>

Still, cool arc tho

PsychBat!

Banned
Well shit, Top 5 of the week is gonna be super difficult. I mean, Hulk #10 was boring, that's the only comic I read that was not worth my time but man.... this is tough.

Such a cool emotional scene at the end of the dark angel saga washed away with "lol we're just fucking with you, Warren's fine he's just amnesiac" >_>

Still, cool arc tho

Man I remember reading that arc for the first time too, so damn amazing.

After you finish up the series you might want to check out this interview going over the series, it was pretty good from what I remember.

Part 1
Part 2

You should also check out Remender's Secret Avengers run.

Zombine

Banned
>shrug<

Have fun with other hobbies.

It's not like Marvel is buying rocket cars and gold mansions.

The industry is in straight nosedive. It's not like it's not your right to balk at prices, but to say "This is a good comic but not worth X," like, sorry, this is how much "good comics" sometimes have to cost now.

If that's your ceiling, bummer, but comics aren't going to stop just for you.

I'm not paying an MCU tax for a book that was timed with a commercial to get some money out of suckers. I'll stick to my oversized $3.50 Image books.

The Industry is going to continue to nosedive if Marvel believe that their fans are going to pay $4+ a week on their shit when there are better options out there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was about to say that Im not sure how I feel about X-Force relying so much on AoA nostalgia, and now I see it launched a new AoA book...was that any good?

I still think its lazy as shit tho, talk about tugging on those nostalgia strings

Top Bottom