• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

PsychBat!

Banned
i0vG863.png

Space is the place.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hmm is Iron Fist lore anything like these AvX New Avengers issues about a female iron fist in the past? Because I really liked these issues.

I thought Danny was just a martial artist, I didn't know he / they had actual powers

Hmm is Iron Fist lore anything like these AvX New Avengers issues about a female iron fist in the past? Because I really liked these issues.

I thought Danny was just a martial artist, I didn't know he / they had actual powers

Matt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist essentially rebooted the character and gets really deep into the lore, it's all on MU, definitely add it to your list. My favorite part of AvX is that it included the little sub-titles for the martial arts moves like the Fraction series did.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have both the fraction one and the new one added now :)

So was there a consensus on wether they were being controlled by the phoenix or just totally drunk on power? Especially Cyke and to a lesser extent Emma... Namor was always a dick anyway. I'm about a little over halfway on the whole thing, Namor is about to attack Wakanda

Tizoc

So was there a consensus on wether they were being controlled by the phoenix or just totally drunk on power? Especially Cyke and to a lesser extent Emma... Namor was always a dick anyway. I'm about a little over halfway on the whole thing, Namor is about to attack Wakanda

Yo Rhaknar m'man, have you read Captain Britain and MI13 yet?

Thanks, man. Yeah, I do everything on the comic with the exception of the colors on the first part. Outside of that, its all me. So all writing criticism should be directed towards me.

I don't think too highly of the first part since it was only the second time I wrote a full length issue. I do think that pages 48 and onward are considerably stronger writing wise, so hopefully people will agree with me once I put it up.

When I first started on the comic, I had a creative group that I would get critiques from but that group fell apart after a while. So now I feel like my comic is mostly insulated from necessary and beneficial criticism. I think its pretty hard to get people's constructive thoughts on the work since thats a lot to ask from a person. Heck, my own wife won't read my comic haha. How any independent writer/artist gets a lot of people to read their comic is beyond me.

Lol damn. Yea I kinda lucked out with one of my friends. Will look at my shit and just straight tell me when it's garbage. Really destroys all sense of an ego you can have haha but it's good cuz I never get too proud or protective of my shit. But yeah I'll definitely catch up tomorrow on what you've posted so far and give you some actual feedback if you want, however worthless my opinion might be :/

Space is the place.

Can't even deny how dope dat Thanos cover looks. Jayzus.

The first half of Immortal Iron Fist is so fucking good. I feel like I've said this before but I'll say dat shit again: They are two of my favorite comic arcs OF ALL TIME. Whether or not that's because I love the shit out of IF is irrelevant.
It probably is doe :D

Rhaknar

That's cuz Bendis can't write some characters for shit, read MI13 and you'll see how great the character can be.
It even has one of the Beatles as a member of the team~

did Bendis write Uncanny X-Force? thats where I think he's a dick from :p

Tizoc

Gonna give Avengers AI a read now.

did Bendis write Uncanny X-Force? thats where I think he's a dick from :p

Nope but I hadn't read Uncanny X-Force myself.
You should still read Captain Britain and MI13 cuz it has Dracula on the moon
Captain-Britain-and-MI13-09-Dracula-on-moon1.jpg

I just want a list of all the people who complain about comic reboots but are going to jump on board the Star Wars stuff after Disney flushed the EU continuity down the toilet.

I just want a list of all the people who complain about comic reboots but are going to jump on board the Star Wars stuff after Disney flushed the EU continuity down the toilet.

They're quite different situations really. Obviously the new film's going to differ radically from the old EU. With a change of publisher there was always going to be a reboot where everything fits into the same canon going forward. A lot of the time comic reboots just occur so they can plant a #1 on it.

They could have been more adventurous with the setting though. There's been tons of stories between ANH and ESB.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I had to look up who Scout Harding is. I'm a terrible late gamer. I'm like the Kipp of video games. I wait until that shit is in the bargain bin. I'm barely getting to Last of Us and I haven't gotten through the games I intended to play back in 2011.

I believe the only person to read it and give feed back was Sillymonkey who said they didn't like it all that much but it was kind of interesting but not that much.

I forgot the random score given tho

I'm the Kipp of video games too. I'll only buy a game if it's $5 or cheaper. And only a game I feel very confident I'll like.

And that's hilarious. You should be proud to have had Sillymonkey tell you he didn't like your comic. That puts you up there with some of the legends of the comics world.

That's some good ish. You should draw at conventions. I'd totally let you draw in my book. Speaking of cons, I'm attending the following cons this year (all in California).

April 2015 - Big Wow Comic Fest in San Jose
July 2015 - San Diego Comic Con in San Diego
October 2015 - Zappcon in Fresno

I wouldn't mind meeting a few of you folks if you're down to meet, even if it's just a quick chit-chat. I'm contemplating on going to Long Beach Comic Con in September; it'll be a busy month for me so it's still up in the air.

If I'm still in the area in September, I'll definitely be going to Long Beach Comic Con again, so I hope to see you there!

And I still think all of us SoCalComicsGAF members should meet up for drinks during SDCC (even though I won't be attending the convention). That would be too fun.

I was looking for Allred stuff to read and discovered FF. Is this worth reading? I see it was canceled/ended?

Have you even read X-Statix yet!?

6'7 dude here and I get asked multiple times a week if I play basketball, because apparently I would be "really good at it"

Well, basketball is the game where 10 men compete to see who is the tallest.

Did anyone read Mortal Kombat X or Wonder Woman '77 yet?

Mortal Kombat was decent, not spectacular. Worth a buck.

So they're redoing at least MK4 and Deception in the new game? Hopefully Netherrealm will make it good.

Anyone else looking forward to Star Wars #1 or is it just me?

I'll be trying it. It probably won't be as awesome as Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, I read that last night and it was fucking fantastic.

The EU was always bullshit. Anything that has to have literal tiers of canon is likely to not be very cohesive. The stories still exist, and it's not like anything that most people cared about was lost (looking at you New Jedi Order/Legacy of the Force novels).

They were always going to make new movies, and being beholden to books published 20 years ago that only geeks like us have read is pointless. It's fucking Star Wars, making it less accessible is missing the point.

Non-comic stuff: I've almost got the job. They're taking me on for four weeks to show me the ropes, then if I do well I'll be taken on. It would be amazing, it's less than five minutes from my flat.

Zombine

Banned
Well next time you visit your vacation home in Florida, you ought to pick it up.

The smart thing to do would be to place an order for it a week before he goes to Florida so it arrives at his house when he gets there.

But that's just my logic.

Yo, Ant-Man #1 was EXCELLENT.
I don't usually get this excited for the first issue of a series, but I really liked the flow of the writing. I'll stick with it for sure.

More people need to check out classic Excalibur in general, that was a great comic when Davis and/or Claremont were involved.

This, those early Alan Moore/Alan Davis stories in Marvels/Daredevils, and the recent Captain Britain and the MI-13 are what you need. Anything Alan Davis draw for Excalibur is good stuff.

What's the premise of Deadly Class? I keep hearing everyone gush about it and I think it's finally time I dove in.

The lives of fucked up kids enrolled in a school for deadly assassins in the 1980s. Love triangles, teen angst, clics, bad roommates, part time comic store jobs, drugs, depression, swords, uzis, bombs, bullies, punks, posers, parties, principals, pussy, and a protagonist who plans to kill Ronald Reagan's ol' hating ass.

Its got WONDERFUL art, too. Hell, thats what makes it all work, and how it can go from comedy antics of stupid teenagers to botched assassin raids turning into all-out warzones in the span of a single issue.

If I'm still in the area in September, I'll definitely be going to Long Beach Comic Con again, so I hope to see you there!

And I still think all of us SoCalComicsGAF members should meet up for drinks during SDCC (even though I won't be attending the convention). That would be too fun.
yeeeeeeee

I intentionally ignored Death of Wolverine, but is it worth the $12 on IST?

no idea I'm gonna order it while it's 50% off, so if it's shit and you hate it, you won't be alone!

Messi

I just stumbled on this listing for a "new" Terry Dodson book coming out in March from Image. It's an English translation of a French comic called Red Widow. The English version is titled Red One.

Sounds pretty cool, I'm down.

Yeah, my store posted about this on bookface and I think it looks pretty cool. I am down for Dodson art in any form. I shall pick it up.

Top Bottom