• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Here's a panel from my comic. I used Clip Art Studio for inking and greyscale values and photoshop for color and textures. I think Ill be able to use these both to take my work up a notch

JICNTGU.jpg

is this from Rafa's Superstar comic?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I bought Clip Art Studio Paint a couple of weeks ago. Its basically a really good illustrative program. Thankfully, they've expanded the program to have color functionality since I've always felt drawing in Clip Art Studio/Manga Studio was much better than doing anything in Photoshop. Anyone who is interested in drawing digitally should pick it up.

Here's a panel from my comic. I used Clip Art Studio for inking and greyscale values and photoshop for color and textures. I think Ill be able to use these both to take my work up a notch

Somehow missed this in all the posting mayhem. I bought Clip Art Studio a few months back as well and it really is a fantastic program. I didn't realize how much of an effect the program itself had on the drawings until I bought and used it. It's pretty incredible.

Also, that panel looks great!

anyway, comics

Deadly_Class_010_2015_Digital_Empire_011.jpg

Deadly_Class_010_2015_Digital_Empire_012.jpg

OMG where is this from

MUCH SADNESS AND MELANCHOLY.

Are they hobbits? They look like hobbits.
Note to self, stop using sad hobbits as reference

is this from Rafa's Superstar comic?
Haha Its a comic I've been working on for 3 years. Im 70ish pages in

Ed that art looks really good.
Thanks, Messi! If you're good this year I'll do a Margot Robbie Harley Quinn illustration this next christmas :p

Awesome art, ed. Looking forward to seeing you and Rafa take off together.
Haha Thanks! Though every time I send him a page Rafa asks me to make it more extreme

Somehow missed this in all the posting mayhem. I bought Clip Art Studio a few months back as well and it really is a fantastic program. I didn't realize how much of an effect the program itself had on the drawings until I bought and used it. It's pretty incredible.

Also, that panel looks great!

Theres a bit of a learning curve for me switching from Manga Studio 4 ex, but I highly recommend it to others. Hows your art coming along?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Theres a bit of a learning curve for me switching from Manga Studio 4 ex, but I highly recommend it to others. Hows your art coming along?

Besides doing a couple sketches a week ago, I haven't really done any drawing for months. I'm sure I'll get back into it eventually since I do enjoy it, but yeah.
Thanks for asking though!

Boogiepop

I dont get shin splints anymore so I'm basically just physically lazy now. Problem is, anytime Im working out, I think to myself, why am I not drawing right now?

So I bought Clip Art Studio Paint a couple of weeks ago. Its basically a really good illustrative program. Thankfully, they've expanded the program to have color functionality since I've always felt drawing in Clip Art Studio/Manga Studio was much better than doing anything in Photoshop. Anyone who is interested in drawing digitally should pick it up.

JICNTGU.jpg

Man, I am insanely jealous of your skills. Despite that I love drawing and have for years I can only manage some amateurish anime style garbage. Bleh, one day I will not suck, one day. Just gotta focus on getting myself back into the habit of consistently drawing first, I guess!

Also, random manga-y updates that don't fit here great but I want to say them anyway.

Started part 6 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure today and I'm really liking the setup. Got the first female protagonist, which is pretty crazy considering only parts 2 and 5 had even a single female character of moderate importance, and I think 5's was literally the only female character to even appear in the whole thing outside of I guess one bit role. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this part ends up having more named female characters than the rest of the series combined and then some. But yeah, super powers in a prison, plus her Stand has some rocking shades, which is neat! Feels like it's going to be a good ride!

And I've started Message to Adolf, and man, I've said it before, but damn if I don't just keep falling more and more in love with Tezuka the more of his stuff I read!

Woooo, thanks to that Image sale on Comixology I read about three years worth of Walking Dead in about two days and am now all caught up. This is the first time I'm gonna be reading it monthly, used to just trade wait it. Pretty cool stuff going on in that book, it always has its ups and downs but right now it really interesting. I noticed that when I jumped back in (at issue 91) if a character wasn't on the show, I barely remembered them and could not give a fuck if they died. So of course within about 3 issues they just go ahead and kill off one of the characters I was happy to be reading again. And then like two issues later they just bash in another ones head in one of the more disgusting things I've read in a comic. Luckily I had just spent about 40 bucks on these things so I kept on reading. Which was great, because they went on to introduce a dude with a TIGER. Everything leading up to All Out War was pretty good, All Out War probably didn't need to be 12 issues long though.

I also started reading Deadly Class thanks to the same Image sale and that sequence VC posted literally made me laugh out loud for a good couple of minutes. It might be the most a comic has ever made me laugh. That book is just damn good.

Read the first arc of Southern Bastards, which of course lead me to go and have my comic reading friends go out and buy the trade for it. Haven't read the other two issues yet, probably get to them tomorrow. Damn if that book doesn't get your blood boiling.

Next up I've got about 3 years of Invincible to catch up on, all of Manhattan Projects(which I'm positive I'm going to love since just based off Hickman's FF run he might be my favorite comic writer) and most of Zero. Oh yeah, haven't started Sex Criminals yet either.

Yikes. Ah well, people don't like stuff that other people like I guess. And vice-versa.
Just OT doing those OT things. Like that avengers vs MOS fight scene thread. It all reads like "my first comic book" debate stereotypical amerature hour stuff. Especially when it comes to the MCU movie fanboys that look down on comics.

Just OT doing those OT things. Like that avengers vs MOS fight scene thread. It all reads like "my first comic book" debate stereotypical amerature hour stuff. Especially when it comes to the MCU movie fanboys that look down on comics.

How does somebody not liking Spider-Verse equal "lol casul"? Give me a break.

I just stumbled on this listing for a "new" Terry Dodson book coming out in March from Image. It's an English translation of a French comic called Red Widow. The English version is titled Red One.

What happens when America's greatest hero...is a Russian Spy? Soviet Agent Vera Yelnikov is sent to 1977 Los Angeles by the Kremlin to become an American Superhero and spread communist values in the land of Uncle Sam in a funky superhero romp straight out of a Tarantino film by TERRY & RACHEL DODSON and XAVIER DORISON.

Sounds pretty cool, I'm down.

No Mercy has potential imo
ayyy I love the art
I dont get shin splints anymore so I'm basically just physically lazy now. Problem is, anytime Im working out, I think to myself, why am I not drawing right now?

JICNTGU.jpg
heyyyy i RLY like the colors/textures here
California is the place to be, people. ;)
most true post of the thread imo

How does somebody not liking Spider-Verse equal "lol casul"? Give me a break.
I didn't say that now did I? But it's another OT thread thats attention seeking and positioned to get no real discussion. Never mind the fact spider verse has its own event thread so they should post it there. So it's OT going to OT.

PsychBat!

Banned
That's just a thrashing Spider-Verse thread and it's only one person that is flabbergasted that other people like the event.

This guy has already made up his mind, inviting discussion on why other people like it is pointless.

Man I really like jock's art quite a bit. Some of these panels in wytches are creepy as shit. Definitely following this series monthly after that first issue

Hey now. I didn't say to stop.

Freeza and I look forward to your Scout Harding fanart

You're just now learning that we have a superstar in our midst? Where you been all this time breh?
I had to look up who Scout Harding is. I'm a terrible late gamer. I'm like the Kipp of video games. I wait until that shit is in the bargain bin. I'm barely getting to Last of Us and I haven't gotten through the games I intended to play back in 2011.

And the official title is actually *future* comics superstar :)

When you launching your kickstarter?
True story: When I started doing the comic, I told myself I'd launch a kickstarter when I finished the first chapter (24 pages). 72 pages in I have yet to launch one. I have like 3 fans so I'm worried that my kickstarter will raise $50. $45 from my parents and $5 from PsychBat! haha

Ed, that's your art? I'd like to work with you.
That sounds like a compliment to me! Ill take it.

Man, I am insanely jealous of your skills. Despite that I love drawing and have for years I can only manage some amateurish anime style garbage. Bleh, one day I will not suck, one day. Just gotta focus on getting myself back into the habit of consistently drawing first, I guess!
Thanks Boogie. Its really all a result of over eight thousand hours of practice. I'd say keep a sketchbook with you at all times and draw whatever is around you when you have some down time. I think drawing different and varied objects/subjects gives you the highest potential for growth as an artist. Everybody starts somewhere.

ayyy I love the art

heyyyy i RLY like the colors/textures here

most true post of the thread imo
Thanks! I'm very happy to hear that. Color theory is something I've been working on since I didn't start coloring anything until about 3 years ago versus the amount of time I've been drawing. Same thing with textures. Creating textures sounds so tangential to comic book making but you really have to know how to do everything in comics.

bro wtf u totally ripped a panel from my own comic I'm working on....

Nah but damn good shit man. 3 years! GAF better get a first hand preview a dat baby.
Legit lol'd

I actually posted it about a year and a half back but if you click on this image you can read my comic.

I believe the only person to read it and give feed back was Sillymonkey who said they didn't like it all that much but it was kind of interesting but not that much.

I forgot the random score given tho

Drayco21

So, Ant-Man: how long we think before Hank shows up?

I haven't read much with Hank Pym, but he was in Waid's Daredevil and seemed like a cool cat.

Hopefully sooner than later, Pym is a lot of fun when writers do something other than making him that dude who hit his wife once. He was pretty great in Avengers Academy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Uncanny x-men #14, the Sinister issue during AvX was fucking amazing. I was always a big fan of Sinister but this angle with the society of Sinisters is so wonderfully abhorrent. Also milk is good for you

UNCX2011014_int_LR-3.jpg

Legit lol'd

I actually posted it about a year and a half back but if you click on this image you can read my comic.

I believe the only person to read it and give feed back was Sillymonkey who said they didn't like it all that much but it was kind of interesting but not that much.

I forgot the random score given tho

Haha glad to make someone laugh. But hey not bad! Not huge on criticism but outside of some minor problems you seem to have down a pretty solid style. Writing could be better but I'm not sure how involved you were with that. I'm workin on some shit too so it's nice seeing that others are workin at it lol.

Hopefully sooner than later, Pym is a lot of fun when writers do something other than making him that dude who hit his wife once. He was pretty great in Avengers Academy.

Fuck man Pym's character has SO much potential for great stories. Really pains me seeing how underutilized he is. Don't think I've seen many comics in recent memory that looked even half-good involving him outside of AA but it's in my back-backlog so I haven't even read it yet. :(

Bii

http://i.imgur.com/JICNTGU.jpg

That's some good ish. You should draw at conventions. I'd totally let you draw in my book. Speaking of cons, I'm attending the following cons this year (all in California).

April 2015 - Big Wow Comic Fest in San Jose
July 2015 - San Diego Comic Con in San Diego
October 2015 - Zappcon in Fresno

I wouldn't mind meeting a few of you folks if you're down to meet, even if it's just a quick chit-chat. I'm contemplating on going to Long Beach Comic Con in September; it'll be a busy month for me so it's still up in the air.

Uncanny x-men #14, the Sinister issue during AvX was fucking amazing. I was always a big fan of Sinister but this angle with the society of Sinisters is so wonderfully abhorrent. Also milk is good for you

http://www.theouthousers.com/images/previews/2012/062012/UNCX2011014_int_LR-3.jpg

You making me wanna go back and reread some Uncanny X-Men and WatX before the renumbering.

Haha glad to make someone laugh. But hey not bad! Not huge on criticism but outside of some minor problems you seem to have down a pretty solid style. Writing could be better but I'm not sure how involved you were with that. I'm workin on some shit too so it's nice seeing that others are workin at it lol.
Thanks, man. Yeah, I do everything on the comic with the exception of the colors on the first part. Outside of that, its all me. So all writing criticism should be directed towards me.

I don't think too highly of the first part since it was only the second time I wrote a full length issue. I do think that pages 48 and onward are considerably stronger writing wise, so hopefully people will agree with me once I put it up.

When I first started on the comic, I had a creative group that I would get critiques from but that group fell apart after a while. So now I feel like my comic is mostly insulated from necessary and beneficial criticism. I think its pretty hard to get people's constructive thoughts on the work since thats a lot to ask from a person. Heck, my own wife won't read my comic haha. How any independent writer/artist gets a lot of people to read their comic is beyond me.

Top Bottom