• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Are they going to reduce Peter to a quivering mass by flaunting his dead girlfriend in front of him again? They already did that with House of M.

That I doubt, but let's be real: there's no way Gwen wouldn't play into ASM if she was in the same city as Peter. You'd have to go to great lengths to write her out of the story if she was in Manhattan, especially considering her origin with her version of Peter. They'd spend half their time trying to protect each other from danger, for at least one arc. From there it'd be too natural to have them hang out, it's like with Johnny Storm. The only reason they didn't wind up as roommates is he got "killed". It'd be weird if they didn't wind up in each other's books now and again, the only difference is with Gwen there's a lot more history.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
read Doop #2 and 3 and...yeah Im not liking it. I have no interest in Doop outside of quirky background character, much less a talking one. And the story seems to happen during some period where I havent read X other books (nobody seems surprised at a future older kitty pryde for example so /shrug) and that isnt helping

also read 2 issues of New Avengers, part of AvX, and the only reason I even mention it is because one of them might have been my favorite thing in all of AvX so far. Cap calls for a Illuminati meeting in hopes that he can reason with Namor, and the whole issue is Cap, Ironman, Xavier, Strange and Reed at a table trading accusations about the whole thing, and saying Namor wasnt coming. The whole thing just felt really natural, was like something out of a kevin smith movie (the dialogue that is). Reed saying "yo maybe this aint a bad thing" was funny because he wasnt even involved in the fight and it made it sound like the Avengers are being super petty lol

Flipping through Waid's Daredevil Vol. 2.

So this is the one with Spidey's super villain origin.

So much love for that page. Poor Spidey.

On the topic of Spidey, where would you guys suggest I started with Superior? I was thinking of reading from Big Time and up to 700 before starting it. I've read a few issues of ASM after it ended but wouldn't mind going back and reading it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
ASM 600 or at best since Brand New Day.

Slott made an incredible big overreaching plot. You dont need to read everything, but here were plenty great storys since Brand New Day.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is the general consensus here that people didn't like Squirrel Girl then? I thought it was fun, I liked it. Squirrel Girl's buck teeth is the new She-Hulk's eyes I guess.

Tizoc

read Doop #2 and 3 and...yeah Im not liking it. I have no interest in Doop outside of quirky background character, much less a talking one. And the story seems to happen during some period where I havent read X other books (nobody seems surprised at a future older kitty pryde for example so /shrug) and that isnt helping

also read 2 issues of New Avengers, part of AvX, and the only reason I even mention it is because one of them might have been my favorite thing in all of AvX so far. Cap calls for a Illuminati meeting in hopes that he can reason with Namor, and the whole issue is Cap, Ironman, Xavier, Strange and Reed at a table trading accusations about the whole thing, and saying Namor wasnt coming. The whole thing just felt really natural, was like something out of a kevin smith movie (the dialogue that is). Reed saying "yo maybe this aint a bad thing" was funny because he wasnt even involved in the fight and it made it sound like the Avengers are being super petty lol

Have you read Bendis' New Avengers yet BTW?

Is the general consensus here that people didn't like Squirrel Girl then? I thought it was fun, I liked it. Squirrel Girl's buck teeth is the new She-Hulk's eyes I guess.

I liked Squirrel Girl too, fun book, awesome art.

ThyComicList

DC COMICS:
BATGIRL #38
BATMAN ETERNAL #41
F.B.P. FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS #17
SUPERMAN / WONDER WOMAN #15 (maybe)

IMAGE:
RAT QUEENS SPECIAL: BRAGA #1

MARVEL:
DAREDEVIL #12
STARWARS #1

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I look forward to your squirrelized avatar.

It's coming, believe me.

Edit: Sneak peek at a work-in-progress:
NmDPZMo.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I aim to please, Messi. I may not contribute much, but at least I can make a dog look like a bunch of different comic book characters (and a Frankenstein). Once real pic January is over I'll be rotating a bunch, maybe I'll try making one of the character picked for the banner each month.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
wetflame, your real life Pizza Dog avi is just THE.BEST.

Anyway, started reading the Transformers vs GI JOE trade and this shit is insaaaaaane. Massive Kirby boners courtesy of Tom Scioli
imdj8kwekzy3ksi3b1bt.png

Also gotta share that variant cover by Stokoe, so great.

Never read anything Transformers or GI JOE before btw.

Tizoc

wetflame, your real life Pizza Dog avi is just THE.BEST.

Anyway, started reading the Transformers vs GI JOE trade and this shit is insaaaaaane. Massive Kirby boners courtesy of Tom Scioli
imdj8kwekzy3ksi3b1bt.png

Also gotta share that variant cover by Stokoe, so great.

Never read anything Transformers or GI JOE before btw.

GI Joe had some really good comic series, the 80s series was written primarily by Larry Hama and is very well regarded. That's as much as I can say about GI Joe though =P

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
GI Joe had some really good comic series, the 80s series was written primarily by Larry Hama and is very well regarded. That's as much as I can say about GI Joe though =P
Yeah, already heard about that run. But with it being a licensed comics whose rights ahve gone to another publisher, is there any legal way of reading them? What about Rom Space Knight or Morrison's Zoïds?

I think we all knew this when he didn't draw the last arc. Feels a bit like a bait and switch.

I wasn't sure if they were just temporary replacements or not

He also mentioned he'll be on art/writing duties on another Marvel book, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

Zombine

Banned
Yo Zombine, have you read the Megaman comic yet?

Not yet but I will at some point today. I got watching Cosmos last night and I passed out. Today I have to shovel for a while, but after that I'll read.

Edit: I'm gonna read that, All New Cap 1-2, and Mortal Kombat X 1-2.

Ha! Actually, I started watching it Saturday night but switched if off because I was beginning to doze off. Last night I watched the rest.

My GF and I were both really digging it at first. Space Australians, Flying Dragon Birds (She loved those), shit blowing up? That was awesome. But the moment it gave Clark that shitty origin, the tornado death, and Zod with his awful haircut I was checked out. We both dozed off and never bothered to watch the rest.

E the Shaggy

So, on the recommendation of the thread, I tried out Deadly Class and.....it's just not for me.

I'm just really sick and tired of the "kid discovers he's the chosen one and is brought to a special school to develop his skills" trope.

It just seems really formulaic in that respect and none of the characters are sticking out enough for me to really get invested. Art's nice though.

Bii

So, on the recommendation of the thread, I tried out Deadly Class and.....it's just not for me.

I'm just really sick and tired of the "kid discovers he's the chosen one and is brought to a special school to develop his skills" trope.

It just seems really formulaic in that respect and none of the characters are sticking out enough for me to really get invested. Art's nice though.

Have you read beyond the first few issues? To me, it didn't really hit its stride until issue 6 or so. And as the story unfolds, it's less about the school than it is about Marcus.

Top Bottom