• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

My list is just Silver Surfer 8. I'm glad y'all buy SS too because before now I thought I had no books coming out this week
1) you guys should play some destiny with me PSN:TheSlightConfuse

2) hickmans east of west is pretty good so far. Finished first 2 trades and am on to the third. Some great world building . Basically hickmans take on the dark tower
Will add when I get home brah

Rest of World. You see a lot of artists come out of places like South America. They're likely willing to work for peanuts to get their foot in the door.
I do wonder how much foreign artists get paid. I think in general they're pretty aware of what an artist should be getting paid. From personal experience, when I looked for a colorist a few years ago, I looked into some South American colorists. They were a bit cheaper but it wasn't like they were quoting me to color pages for a bag of chips and a coca cola.

On a slightly tangential note, I've talked with other aspiring artists who believe they would get paid less than $100/page from Marvel/DC. I don't even think Vertigo page rates are that low...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok, done with Uncanny X-Force (the Remender one). As some of you may remember, I wasnt that hot on it for the first few issues / arcs, maybe it was overhyped, I dont know, something didnt gel. But as a whole I really liked it. I loved the last few arcs, and it feels like a big cohesive story when you look back. Also Deadpool had a nice moment there with Evan at the end

What I did like was Remender's writting and style, Im very much looking forward to more stuff by him. I believe Uncanny X-Men is written by him, AND has Havok as team leader? Thats funky

A couple of questions: Why was Deadpool...pretty? Where's his cancer scars?

and also, is Daken actually Logan's son, for realsies, or is it a x-23 type deal, or a alternate type deal or what?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
at the time of Final Execution, Deadpool was healed of his healing factor/cancer temporarily so had his old, unscarred face back.
He is his real son.

well ok then :) reading all of Deadpool is one of my pet projects for one of these days, even if he's overexposed (or was for a while, seems they have toned down the Deadpool fever lately), I like the character and I remember really liking the run with blind Al

edit: also Daken's claws look weird >_>

Messi

well ok then :) reading all of Deadpool is one of my pet projects for one of these days, even if he's overexposed (or was for a while, seems they have toned down the Deadpool fever lately), I like the character and I remember really liking the run with blind Al

edit: also Daken's claws look weird >_>

The Marvel now run for Deadpool is fantastic after the first volume.

Effect

Not sure if I asked this before or ever got an answer but has anyone bought digital comics from both Amazon.com and from Comixology? I have an original Kindle Fire (I think that has a 7 inch screen) and plan to use that and maybe one of the newer models (HD 7 or if I come into some money to waste the HDX 8.9) in the future. Which version of digital comic is better for that platform?

I can not tell what the Amazon.com version of a volume will be really like from the sample you can get. Sometimes I only get a single page and it doesn't seem to display in landscape the way the comixology app comics do. Is this a limit of the sample or just that comics sold from Amazon are only viewable in portrait?

I would like to go with Amazon as I already buy things from them and never spent money on comixology but will if I have to.

(kinda late response)

Being a fan of Spider-man doesn't mean you need to like, read, or even think about One More Day, or Sins Past, or the Clone Saga, or the hundreds of lame-ass stories that character has been involved in.

giphy.gif

I keep forgetting that exists.

Once again though, JC. Good shit. Think I kinda misread what you posted earlier so I'm not even sure what I'm talking about anymore. Anyway yea I really like this article on Jock and Snyder working on this Detective page.

dtc876_11.jpeg

This page is purty fuckin dope mmmmmm

Ooh you meant the comic version. I thought you meant the novels.

I doubt anybody's that big of a nerd to actually read the novels....

Fucking shit you've read the Heir to the Empire books too??? UNNNnnnngGGGn sO goood

Not sure if I asked this before or ever got an answer but has anyone bought digital comics from both Amazon.com and from Comixology? I have an original Kindle Fire (I think that has a 7 inch screen) and plan to use that and maybe one of the newer models (HD 7 or if I come into some money to waste the HDX 8.9) in the future. Which version of digital comic is better for that platform?

I can not tell what the Amazon.com version of a volume will be really like from the sample you can get. Sometimes I only get a single page and it doesn't seem to display in landscape the way the comixology app comics do. Is this a limit of the sample or just that comics sold from Amazon are only viewable in portrait?

I would like to go with Amazon as I already buy things from them and never spent money on comixology but will if I have to.

Amazon owns Comixology, so you'll be giving them the dough regardless. I'd go for CMX, though Amazon can have crazy price errors (got Harley Quinn: Hot in the City and Batman Eternal Volume 1 for under £1 a few weeks ago).

Older releases tend to be panel-by-panel only, I bought Transformers Spotlight: Optimus Prime and it's one panel per page.

Isak_Borg

Amazon owns Comixology, so you'll be giving them the dough regardless. I'd go for CMX, though Amazon can have crazy price errors (got Harley Quinn: Hot in the City and Batman Eternal Volume 1 for under £1 a few weeks ago).

Older releases tend to be panel-by-panel only, I bought Transformers Spotlight: Optimus Prime and it's one panel per page.

I would expect changes in how this is handled in the future.

Rhaknar

any Daken stuff worth pursuing? now im curious about the character, I assume hes not actually dead from unc x-force, whatever death even means in comics

Isak_Borg

I would expect that they would merge their catalog at some point and purchasing on one platform would lead to owning it on all platforms (CMX/Amazon).

They're probably going through the transition of merging catalogs but who knows how these companies handle mergers like these. I would imagine the employees are over taxed and a little overwhelmed with the transition and all of the new launches involved but hey WHO knows.

I would continue to purchase via CMX for now but seeing as how they've added one click purchasing and other Amazon-esque things...

just a who knows situation.

MY TWO CENTS.

Drayco21

Never thought I'd be excited for an iZombie tv show, but after Arrow, Flash, Constantine, and even Gotham, I'm willing to give it a chance. Vixen sounds cool too.

Also, List:

Batman Eternal #41
The New 52: Future's End #37
Wolverines #2

All-New Captain America #3
All-New Ultimates #12
Amazing X-Men #15
Avengers #40
Captain Marvel #11
Daredevil #12
Deadpool #40
Deathlok #4
Guardians 3000 #4
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #9
SHIELD #2
Silver Surfer #8
Spider-Verse #2
Star Wars #1
Thanos vs. Hulk #2

Isak_Borg

I wish that Amazon would create a tablet 100% dedicated to comics.

No market for it and there really isn't a value for it.

I would imagine this has been brought up by folks but there really isn't a "SELL" for it.

I just got an iPad Mini 2 Retina and I think it's the best option for comics at the moment. I wish they would make some changes to the app so you can see what the new weekly releases are even if you can't purchase them directly but who knows what changes they have in mind.

I wish that Amazon would create a tablet 100% dedicated to comics.

Wouldn't happen unless colour e-ink happened, which is beyond even CES-level pipe dream at this stage.

The market would be tiny as well. Kindles are best for people that are heavy readers, and people who read only 1 or 2 books per year. These are the biggest sectors of the market, since big readers buy several books per week/month that you can only get from the Kindle Store, and filthy book casuals buy the latest 50 Gone Girls of the Hunger Games phenomenon.

For comics, the hardcores like us are still mostly print-based animals and casual browsers wouldn't buy the device when they can get a tablet that "does everything" and that would likely be at least $100 cheaper.

Zombine

Banned
Yo, Dark Horse. Put your shit on comixology. Please.

I would get Empowered and hellboy in a heartbeat.

Fucking 5 releases a week that nobody reads, lost Star Wars, and is riding on Alien/Predator & Hellboy.

Fuck Dark Horse. Won't even show a single titty.

Isak_Borg

"We're the premier company for independent creators."
"We're the place to go for Star Wars comics."
"Our new Alien vs. Predator line will be an enormous hit."
"At least we still have Hellboy."

I wouldn't count out Dark Horse.

They're probably one of the best companies out there and I think folks have a tremendous amount of respect for what they do. I think Amazon/CMX would be lucky to have them on their platform and it has to happen eventually but they have to figure it out.

There are other companies I would rather see tho like Drawn+Quarterly.

I didnt wanted to torture my postman :p

I'd only torture myself if I did that, because the postman just drops a note into my mailbox, so I have to walk to the post office (not that bad) and then carry the stuff home (sometimes bad).

Starting the placement tomorrow. If I get the job full-time, there will be Omnibus buying in my future.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Use the Neogaf Official Omnibus Reading (NOOR) Position

No fitting seat in my new flat yet. And I cant even use my bed since the warmer is kinda broken and its like 5 degrees...

I'd only torture myself if I did that, because the postman just drops a note into my mailbox, so I have to walk to the post office (not that bad) and then carry the stuff home (sometimes bad).

Starting the placement tomorrow. If I get the job full-time, there will be Omnibus buying in my future.
You have a job appointment tomorrow? I wish you luck ;)

Zombine

Banned
How about this for a comic idea:

A surfer in Santa Monica finds out he is an alien, and that his parents were in the KGB. I'll
Call it KGB Surfer Alien.

No fitting seat in my new flat yet. And I cant even use my bed since the warmer is kinda broken and its like 5 degrees...

You have a job appointment tomorrow? I wish you luck ;)

Thanks man. I'm going to be working there for 2 days a week for the next 4 weeks. All goes well, they take me on full-time. I'm excited but nervous.

Messi

How about this for a comic idea:

A surfer in Santa Monica finds out he is an alien, and that his parents were in the KGB. I'll
Call it KGB Surfer Alien.

Make him a girl who says "Far Out" as a catch phrase and I will pick this up. Quinones or Dodson on art.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
That's what he says after he surfs to end democracy every issue. He also has a loyal dog named Kipp who is the reincarnation of Jam Masted Jay.

You named the dog Kipp just to get me to back the Kickstarter. You knew it would take an extra little push to get me to drop the cash.
Jokes on you. I would back it without the Kipp dog.
Kipp would be a very believable dog name though. There's already My Dog Skip and Kipper.

Can we trust that anymore? Considering the source?

Lol

NOOR actually kinda hurts with the BDSC Book :D

Clearly you're not NOORPing correctly then.
It is an unwieldy book though. Reading one of the full stories in a single sitting can get a little uncomfortable.

Kipp

So close to bdsm, I got excited. What a letdown.

You could use big damn sin city in your bdsm activities.

Coincidentally, there are many BDSM outfits in BDSC.

But no, using BDSC in BDSM would be much too dangerous. Your partner could easily be killed.

Zombine

Banned
You named the dog Kipp just to get me to back the Kickstarter. You knew it would take an extra little push to get me to drop the cash.
Jokes on you. I would back it without the Kipp dog.
Kipp would be a very believable dog name though. There's already My Dog Skip and Kipper

Ha, jokes on you because you're the artist.

Kipp

Ha, jokes on you because you're the artist.

Hmmm.... This could work. Well, as long as your comic is one page long and it's only one issue every six months.

Real talk though, if you write up a one page script with this synopsis, I will draw it up real quick today and/or tomorrow.

Zombine

Banned
Hmmm.... This could work. Well, as long as your comic is one page long and it's only one issue every six months.

Real talk though, if you write up a one page script with this synopsis, I will draw it up real quick today and/or tomorrow.

Lol scan it and we'll make it a site and post shit monthly. Throw up some ad's and maybe we can make some cash on it lol

Top Bottom