• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Owzers

I have not :(

I watched the trailer of the new one.

I'm watching trash like Scorpion King 4 while you have only seen a star wars trailer.....

I didn't manage to finish Scorpion King 4 last night, i abandoned after an hour in favor of watching another episode of Arrow season 1. Arrow through 8 episodes is decent but the relationships between characters are awful. Helix season 1 8ish episodes in is bad...weird slow show.

Messi

I'm watching trash like Scorpion King 4 while you have only seen a star wars trailer.....

I didn't manage to finish Scorpion King 4 last night, i abandoned after an hour in favor of watching another episode of Arrow season 1. Arrow through 8 episodes is decent but the relationships between characters are awful. Helix season 1 8ish episodes in is bad...weird slow show.

Last night I watched the first 2 episodes of Agents of Shield. I liked them. I will assume people like Maria Hill and Fury Jr won't be around too often.

CBTech

Yeah, the first season of Arrow delves into relationship business too much. It gets much better as it goes on. Each season so far has had a slow start then hits a point where things start getting good.

I dont know the english term but I use a magnyfing glas(is that the word?) when I come across stuff like this.

I'm saying print might not offer the requisite amount of detail, since it's so terrible these days.

I'd be curious if someone with the print copy can confirm.

Zombine

Banned
I honestly enjoyed Star Wars #1. I feel like it never went full EU, and played it safely within the confines of something that is entirely plausible in the OT. My favorite moment was when
Vader showed not even a single fuck when he used the Stormtroopers as shields against Chewie's sniper fire. It was brutal in the sense that you felt as if he does not value the life of anyone or anything.

I honestly enjoyed Star Wars #1. I feel like it never went full EU, and played it safely within the confines of something that is entirely plausible in the OT. My favorite moment was when
Vader showed not even a single fuck when he used the Stormtroopers as shields against Chewie's sniper fire. It was brutal in the sense that you felt as if he does not value the life of anyone or anything.

So good man. The humor was there also.

ElNarez

Banned
I love digital, but also: when you zoom in it gets BUTT-ASS UGLY, which is not a problem I have when I just get my head all up in the book.

Zombine

Banned
So good man. The humor was there also.

Aaron really did hit multiple comedic cues that were present in the OT. The one thing I do hope is that these writers get comfortable writing new stories within this franchise, and not just relying on "I've got a bad feeling about this" jokes and OT Easter eggs. I hope these comics continue to move forward and establish their own identity.

Aaron really did hit multiple comedic cues that were present in the OT. The one thing I do hope is that these writers get comfortable writing new stories within this franchise, and not just relying on "I've got a bad feeling about this" jokes and OT Easter eggs. I hope these comics continue to move forward and establish their own identity.

Would you describe it as a very "safe" story? Ex: In the Thrawn Trilogy, alot of the character interactions were all but copy+pasted homages to particular tropes and scenes from the movie trilogy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so this Hickman fella is a good writer? whats some good Marvel Unlimited stuff to check?

Zombine

Banned
Would you describe it as a very "safe" story? Ex: In the Thrawn Trilogy, alot of the character interactions were all but copy+pasted homages to particular tropes and scenes from the movie trilogy.

It has a few "safe" moments, but I would say that by the time
Vader
shows up, there is a great action set piece that hasn't shown up on screen, but was never EU cringe-worthy bullshit. It was just nice. It was like having some nice light rolls before the main italian meal. It just sat right and left me wanting more. Also, there is a scene where
Han told C-3PO to grab his blaster
, and all it could make me think of was this:

C3-PX.jpg

Hmm, it takes place after New Hope and before Empire. I wouldn't say this is a copy and paste job at all. I'm a huge fan but my fandom has rarely reached out to the expanded universe. I'm sure a story like this has been done already but it's the big 3 characters (think DCs Trinity) trying to up root the rest of the Empire after the Deathstar. In this case,
a weapons factory.

I think Marvel has a good strategy for this Star Wars thing as of now. Slowly roll these books out, so you start off with two ongoings and a rotating mini-series. Start off with the characters and time period everybody knows and enjoys. Obviously Cassaday won't be around forever(I'd be shocked if he's on #4 frankly, lol), but they assembled a top tier creative team for #1-3 in Aaron/Cassaday/Martin/Eliopoulos that's captured the cinematic sci-fi fantasy adventure feel of the original films, from all the character voices, the set pieces, the rusty, worn down look of the world. After a while, then they can expand out to Mos Eisley Tales and Bounty Hunters and Ewok Episodes from Skottie Young.

Messi

Hmm, it takes place after New Hope and before Empire. I wouldn't say this is a copy and paste job at all. I'm a huge fan but my fandom has rarely reached out to the expanded universe. I'm sure a story like this has been done already but it's the big 3 characters (think DCs Trinity) trying to up root the rest of the Empire after the Deathstar. In this case,
a weapons factory.

Wait...the big 3 characters?

Are you anti wookie? I expected more from you Korupt.

Zombine

Banned
My hope is that they make Tales of the Jedi cannon, or once they get comfortable working outside of familiar tales, shape a new version of what I consider to be the "Jedi Bible."

Messi

I think Marvel has a good strategy for this Star Wars thing as of now. Slowly roll these books out, so you start off with two ongoings and a rotating mini-series. Start off with the characters and time period everybody knows and enjoys. Obviously Cassaday won't be around forever(I'd be shocked if he's on #4 frankly, lol), but they assembled a top tier creative team for #1-3 in Aaron/Cassaday/Martin/Eliopoulos that's captured the cinematic sci-fi fantasy adventure feel of the original films, from all the character voices, the set pieces, the rusty, worn down look of the world. After a while, then they can expand out to Mos Eisley Tales and Bounty Hunters and Ewok Episodes from Skottie Young.

I would imagine your plan is exactly what they are doing.

Zombine

Banned
I would imagine your plan is exactly what they are doing.

Now I'm just waiting for when they get comfortable and introduce a character that is just a prolapsed asshole with spider legs and an eyeball in the middle.

who is also a Jedi Knight.

Bii

There were hundreds of copies on the shelf at the shop, it was crazy

Yep, mine too. My LCS, strangely, didn't have any variants up. Someone had asked about it but they said that's the only one they have. The variants must've been set aside for specific customers to the shop. :/

Guess I'll make a Midtown Comics order to get the blank and Skottie Young ones.

My shop had a bunch of old guys in there 50's and 60's in there buying the book. Forking over lots of money on multiple copies and variants. Thing is going to do gangbusters for them. The biggest hype is the word "cannon".

tim1138

Batgirl is boring as fuck.
Even Babs Tarr's delightful art can't make me care about this book. I give it a .50/2.99 and bid it farewell from my pulls.

CBTech

Grayson #6 - Damn, that was a really cool issue. The fight between Dick and Midnighter was really well done. I especially liked the panel of Midnighter swinging Dick by his leg. Seems like we are also getting into what these Paragon pieces are for and who Midnighter is.

Star Wars #1 - Of course it starts with the classic title roll and a ship flying towards a planet. Overall, I think it was pretty good. It feels like it is naturally taking place right after A New Hope.
Vader using Stormtroopers as a shield was so badass. Also this confrontation between Luke and Vader could be interesting. Time for Luke to get wrecked.
The art was also pretty good, though I thought some of the faces looked a little off. That might just be due to the artist trying to make the characters look like the actors during A New Hope. Anytime an artist tries to accurately recreate a real person's face it always seems to come out feeling off. A feel a more stylized approach would have been better.

Top Bottom