• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Hope my copy of Star Wars comes today. I've been moving to digital but I wanted a hard copy.

Only just realized you can link your Comixology and Marvel accounts. Such a noob.

dan2026

So with this DC Convergence thing we are going to get one month of the characters we want to see and non shitty costumes. Then its back to the new 52 crap again next month?

Is DC taking the piss?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So with this DC Convergence thing we are going to get one month of the characters we want to see and non shitty costumes. Then its back to the new 52 crap again next month?

Is DC taking the piss?

There are 40 issues being done for that Convergence thing, right? Is it going to be like when they did that Villains month thing and replace the regular issues of comics or is it all separate?

Edit: Oh I guess I should have Googled. It lasts two months and spins out of the end of Future's End, so I guess it's it's own thing.

dan2026

There are 40 issues being done for that Convergence thing, right? Is it going to be like when they did that Villains month thing and replace the regular issues of comics or is it all separate?

Edit: Oh I guess I should have Googled. It lasts two months and spins out of the end of Future's End.

Fuck knows dude.

It just seems like DC are saying 'hey fans remember what things were like before all our canon became a clusterfuck and we redesigned most of our characters to look shitty?'

'Well we do! But you can't have it! Bwahahaha!'

:(

Is DC taking the piss?

It's a two month event while they move from New York to California. The event title is a weekly I believe? Eight issues. Then there are like 40 two parters that are various mish mash adventures.

Your feelings on "characters 'we' want to see" and "shitty costumes" are your own of course.

It sounds like a DC version of a secret wars.

If you want suggestions on good books out of the New 52, just ask. There are actually quite alot, if you can leave behind reboot hissy fits. I've found that the vast majority of people with whom I've interacted and say those sort of things don't actually read many if any of the books and just take it as a forgone conclusion because they can't accept the change and move on.

Meanwhile these same people are also probably buying the new Star Wars and totally cool with the Marvel universe slowly but surely becoming the MCU with ridiculous changes and retcons.

dan2026

I have read a ton of new 52 stuff dude. And while I have liked some of it, there constant cherry picking 'this is cannon, this isn't, this happened, this didn't, winds me the hell up'.
Not to mention most of the redesigned costumes look atrocious. Let's take The Flash for example. Its his classic red outfit but sonebody squiggled yellow lines all over it. Why?

Old man yells at cloud I guess. But its telling that most of the new 52 stuff I've liked carried over from the old universe.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If you want suggestions on good books out of the New 52, just ask. There are actually quite alot, if you can leave behind reboot hissy fits. I've found that the vast majority of people with whom I've interacted and say those sort of things don't actually read many if any of the books and just take it as a forgone conclusion because they can't accept the change and move on.

I actually wouldn't mind some more DC suggestions. At the moment I'm reading Batman, Batgirl, Detective Comics, Grayson, Gotham Academy, Superman and Multiversity. I stopped reading Wonder Woman after the creative team left. I read a whole bunch of Marvel stuff as I like the lighter tone of a lot of their comics, and the variation in art styles (Hawkeye, Daredevil, Rocket Raccoon, Black Widow, etc) is there much in DC for someone like me? I only started getting into comics after New 52 anyway, so I'm not beholden to continuity or bothered about the reboots.

I actually wouldn't mind some more DC suggestions. At the moment I'm reading Batman, Batgirl, Detective Comics, Grayson, Gotham Academy, Superman and Multiversity. I stopped reading Wonder Woman after the creative team left. I read a whole bunch of Marvel stuff as I like the lighter tone of a lot of their comics, is there much in DC for someone like me? I only started getting into comics after New 52 anyway, so I'm not beholden to continuity or bothered about the reboots.

My suggestions for what you seem to like:

Batman and Robin (#1+ or #33+)
Batman / Superman (#1+ or #16+)
Superman / Wonder Woman (#1+)
Action Comics (#26+ Lana!)
Catwoman (#35+)
Justice League (#30+ Lex on the JL)
Justice League United (#1+)
Justice League 3000 (#1+)
Supergirl (#36+)

Batman and Robin is the second best Batman title. Tomasi is rock solid with Gleason on art. Either start at the beginning or pick up on the Batman Apokalips arc.

Batman / Superman has bounced between stuff in the past between the two or more recent pairings. The current "Superman's Joker" arc has really engaged me.

Superman / Wonder Woman: Sounds dumb right? It's actually not. It's been a great blend of these power characters exploring their relationship as well as big bads on their level. Gorgeous art.

Action Comics: Lana Lang as a semi regular has given this a delightfully fun silver age feel. Also, Baka is adorable.

Catwoman: A bit gritty but an amazing new take on Selina that I'm loving.

Justice League: Lex Luthor on the Justice League. It's great fun.

Justice League United: Same deal as Action Comics, except more in space.

Justice League 3000: I started off disliking the premise but it's really grown on me. The latest arc with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle has cemented my love for it.

Supergirl: Emanuela Lupacchino, my Goddess, on art. Space School for Super Powers. Maxima as an interesting character. A rocky history for this book but recently it's been really fun.

Messi

I actually wouldn't mind some more DC suggestions. At the moment I'm reading Batman, Batgirl, Detective Comics, Grayson, Gotham Academy, Superman and Multiversity. I stopped reading Wonder Woman after the creative team left. I read a whole bunch of Marvel stuff as I like the lighter tone of a lot of their comics, and the variation in art styles (Hawkeye, Daredevil, Rocket Raccoon, Black Widow, etc) is there much in DC for someone like me? I only started getting into comics after New 52 anyway, so I'm not beholden to continuity or bothered about the reboots.

Lighter stuff? Harley Quinn

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My suggestions for what you seem to like:

Ok it turns out I am an idiot and I totally spaced on the fact that I actually read Batman and Robin, I don't know why I forgot that because yes, it's awesome. I've also read a couple of Catwoman issues post #35 too, though I let that one slip for some reason. I'll catch back up. It's the pitfall of going digital only, sometimes I end up getting books and then get distracted by life and they sit there waiting to be read while I forget about them.

The Justice League stuff is something that I hadn't really considered getting, but I'll give them a shot based on your recommendation seeing as I've liked the look a few of the other books you suggested. I'm forever seeing stuff like Batman/Superman and adding them to my "list", then when it comes to buying issues I start snipping away as I try and budget. Seeing as I've dropped a few titles recently I'll go back and check those out. Thanks!

Edit: Messi, I enjoyed Amanda Conner's Power Girl a lot - am I going to enjoy Harley too? I feel like I might be pre-judging Harley as kind of dumb/too silly without any real basis for it.

I'm forever seeing stuff like Batman/Superman and adding them to my "list", then when it comes to buying issues I start snipping away as I try and budget. Seeing as I've dropped a few titles recently I'll go back and check those out. Thanks!

Edit: Messi, I enjoyed Amanda Conner's Power Girl a lot - am I going to enjoy Harley too? I feel like I might be pre-judging Harley as kind of dumb/too silly without any real basis for it.

If you just wanted to add a handful, I'd narrow it down to,

Supergirl #36+
Batman / Superman #16+
Justice League 3000 #1+
or
United #1+

Oh and Harley. Spaced that.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If you just wanted to add a handful, I'd narrow it down to,

Supergirl #36+
Batman / Superman #16+
Justice League 3000 #1+
or
United #1+

Oh and Harley. Spaced that.

Ok, thanks, will check those out. I just wanted a few recommendations to get me started, can always branch out more if I find myself enjoying those. Plus I can do DC Pizza Dog crossover avatars.

I read a bunch of the new (well, a couple of years old) Batwoman comics at my brother-in-law's place a while back.

The art really shocked me (keep in mind I've been largely removed from comics since the late 80s). Any recommendations on similar books?

I read a bunch of the new (well, a couple of years old) Batwoman comics at my brother-in-law's place a while back.

The art really shocked me (keep in mind I've been largely removed from comics since the late 80s). Any recommendations on similar books?

Sounds like JH Williams III Batwoman. From a purely art perspective you might enjoy the New 52 Flash stuff from #1 up until the creative team changed. But if you haven't read it yet, Sandman and the more recently releasing Sandman Overture followup prequel would probably be for you.

On the Marvel side you might look at the most recent Elektra and to a slightly lesser extent anything with Phil Noto such as Black Widow.

Image is especially rife with lots of unique art styles. You might consider stuff like Black Science or Deadly Class for less traditional styles.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
~~~~NEW COMIC BOOK DAY~~~~

CaringMerryKouprey.gif

Messi

Absolutely. But beware it is very silly at times. As Harley is kind of unhinged even when she thinks she is doing nice things. They even had a crossover with Pee Gee. It has heart and great art.

~~~~NEW COMIC BOOK DAY~~~~

CaringMerryKouprey.gif

ZGWLFBi.gif

Check out Batman & Son: New Edition. The Black Glove story has art done by the guy who used to do Batwoman.

tim1138

Knightfall is one of the few big 90s events that I think still holds up today. I love watching Azrael's
descent into total madness.

Sounds like JH Williams III Batwoman. From a purely art perspective you might enjoy the New 52 Flash stuff from #1 up until the creative team changed. But if you haven't read it yet, Sandman and the more recently releasing Sandman Overture followup prequel would probably be for you.

On the Marvel side you might look at the most recent Elektra and to a slightly lesser extent anything with Phil Noto such as Black Widow.

Image is especially rife with lots of unique art styles. You might consider stuff like Black Science or Deadly Class for less traditional styles.

Check out Batman & Son: New Edition. The Black Glove story has art done by the guy who used to do Batwoman.

Thank you both! I'll check out these titles.

Isn't that the case for pretty much every company in any sector?

It's also every comics publisher, but don't tell GH. He has this cool optical converter that changes 4.99 price tags on non-Marvel books to turn into a GIF of Hacksaw Jim Duggan giving a thumbs up.

It's annoying in a conversation, but I gotta say, it's pretty fucking cool tech.

Owzers

That cast seems to be a step up from Scorpion King 2 with Randy Couture, but a step down from Scorpion King 3 with Dave Batista

but you hate everything right

how do i know this isn't actually a hidden gem

I guess the only real option you have is to watch it then.

It's also every comics publisher, but don't tell GH. He has this cool optical converter that changes 4.99 price tags on non-Marvel books to turn into a GIF of Hacksaw Jim Duggan giving a thumbs up.

It's annoying in a conversation, but I gotta say, it's pretty fucking cool tech.

Pfft. I hate the $4.99 price game. I hate that it's moving outside of annuals into normal issues. I hate that it might start crossing over into the books I actually read cause I'd probably drop almost any book I'm reading if that became the norm.

It boggles my damn mind that anyone would be OK with it.

Top Bottom