• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh boy, I am all blown away how amazing Star Wars #1 was. And its like made for digital. Feelt like a movie this way, I actually cant imagine that its as good when you have to look at each panel and cant use Comixologys Swiping Feature. Damn, what a wonderfull book.

Based Aaron, I even heard the fitting music for each scene in the comic in my head :D

More totally off-topic posting from me since me since I suck at reading comics but still want to post:

That email in reply to my resume on Craigslist was totally legit.
I feel like this could be it. I could finally be getting a legitimate job. Just waiting for it to all go wrong somehow, but a couple emails back and forth now and it's still all going well. The owner of the website is talking like she'd really like me for the job.

I better not blow this.
I wish you the best luck! :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
while im on the Doom topic, does Doom's stint on the Future Foundation coincide with Spider-Man's? and if so...how does that work lol :p

It does but I can't remember off-hand Spider-Man ever actually talking to Doom. There must be one scene at least.

boo

Messi

You might have to, Kipp. It's probably a prerequisite to landing the job.

post-21313-Olivia-Wilde-13-gif-this-might-4w6P.gif

Go get em, Kipp. Just put down the first week of my placement. I have my own little workshop, but it's quite cold in there. Also have to get a radio since I can't work in silence.

Also decided to wait on Star Wars #1 since I got a Loot Crate sub for Christmas and they just revealed it's in January's box. Will be strange to read a print floppy, the only one I've bought recently was last year's Detective Comics #27 but that was like a mini-trade, it's the only floppy I've seen with a spine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
didnt Iceman get it on with Rogue? or wanted to at least?

so he turns around later and gets it on with her...mom?

real talk. Are there any good Doom stories, or is Doom just a collection of random badass moments?

YOOOO dude no joke Doom has some fantastic (heh) fucking stories. Personally, Triumph and Torment is the cream a da crop. Shit's so fucking good yo. Not only my favorite Doom story, but one of my favorite Strange stories as well. And Mignola on art!! Impossible to dislike.

Edit: Damn, beaten. So yea I second T&T I guess.

More totally off-topic posting from me since me since I suck at reading comics but still want to post:

That email in reply to my resume on Craigslist was totally legit.
I feel like this could be it. I could finally be getting a legitimate job. Just waiting for it to all go wrong somehow, but a couple emails back and forth now and it's still all going well. The owner of the website is talking like she'd really like me for the job.

I better not blow this.

All you gotta do is don't pull a Kipp and you'll do great!! Nah but real talk good luck breh.

Rhaknar

Wasnt this Ultimate X-Men stuff?

which part? the Mystique part is in that Supernovas story aparently, and the Roigue part I remember him wanting to waaaaaaaaay back when Rogue was having problems with Gambit, this is like 15 years ago (way before I even stopped reading / collecting)

I remember Rogue and Bobby go on a road trip after Rogue drained Gambit and almost kills him, and she gets his memories and goes a bit nuts. I guess Bobby could just be being a goof friend, its been too long

which part? the Mystique part is in that Supernovas story aparently, and the Roigue part I remember him wanting to waaaaaaaaay back when Rogue was having problems with Gambit, this is like 15 years ago (way before I even stopped reading / collecting)

I remember Rogue and Bobby go on a road trip after Rogue drained Gambit and almost kills him, and she gets his memories and goes a bit nuts. I guess Bobby could just be being a goof friend, its been too long

99% sure that's an Ultimate X-Men story, she absorbs Gambit's powers when
he dies in Ultimate X-Men Annual #1
and then she basically does a Poochie "I have to go now, my planet needs me."

EDIT: FUCK I FREEZAD IT SORRY

Rhaknar

99% sure that's an Ultimate X-Men story, she absorbs Gambit's powers when
he dies in Ultimate X-Men Annual #1
and then she basically does a Poochie "I have to go now, my planet needs me."

the story im talking about happened when there wasnt even a ultimate universe yet :) and Gambit
didnt die in this, he
was in a coma, wakes up and goes after them, and fights rogue in a empty theatre in...new orleans I believe, because Rogue's memories (from Gambit) took them there and she didnt know why. This was before it was revealed that Gambit lead the marauders to the sewers and shit, and thats probably what he was worried she would find out.

surely theres another old fart like me that remember this?

edit: and I freeza'd your freeza lol

Rhaknar

About to start Hickman's F4, just so I get situated since I didn't read back then but am somewhat familiar with the events:

So Secret Invasion was the Skrulls invading earth and posing as various heroes. And that lead to Dark Reign where they gave Osborne a ton of power in response for whatever reason? Is that the gist of it?

Also I see Valeria already exists, now im sad because I want to see that Doom scene damn it :(

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just finished Multiversity.

Didn't enjoy it at all, don't understand the hype?

Like, you finished the first issue, or you read all of the issues currently out including S.O.S., Thunderworld, Pax Americana, The Just?

Fintan

About to start Hickman's F4, just so I get situated since I didn't read back then but am somewhat familiar with the events:

So Secret Invasion was the Skrulls invading earth and posing as various heroes. And that lead to Dark Reign where they gave Osborne a ton of power in response for whatever reason? Is that the gist of it?

Also I see Valeria already exists, now im sad because I want to see that Doom scene damn it :(

If I remember correctly, Osborn was leading the Thunderbolts at the time of Secret Invasion. During the Secret Invasion, he kills the Skrull leader and becomes a hero. They get rid of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the wake of the Secret Invasion and replace it with H.A.M.M.E.R. led by Osborn and then Osborn starts his own Avengers.

PsychBat!

Banned

Secret Invasion was more than replacing various super heroes. It was more like the skrulls invading every organization big and small and take over the world. The reason why they decided to take over Earth is because their planets are gone. Most of them.

They gave Osborn top cop status because he shot the Skrull Queen and the US blamed Tony Stark for failing to stop the infiltration in the first place, as Tony Stark was made head of world security after Civil War.

Get out of your x-bubble soon rhaknar *slaps*
Have fun with Hickman. :D

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
omgomgomg

I... think I just got the job? Well, at the very least, I'm going to start training and then from there, they'll make sure I'm a good fit. AKA as long as I don't screw up training--which I can't really see happening since I'm fully qualified for the position and learn really quickly/work hard--I've got the job.

Wow. Who would've thought.

Zombine

Banned
omgomgomg

I... think I just got the job? Well, at the very least, I'm going to start training and then from there, they'll make sure I'm a good fit. AKA as long as I don't screw up training--which I can't really see happening since I'm fully qualified for the position and learn really quickly/work hard--I've got the job.

Reallifedickparty.com

I1aUJZE.jpg

omgomgomg

Are you a drug mule? Or does this involve a scheme that is pyramid shaped in nature?

Check your PM's brahs
x3l7gPF.png

thank you!
omgomgomg

Congrats homie. Bout time you got some good news.

Kipp

Reallifedickparty.com

When I get my first paycheck I'm going to take a picture of it and PM it to you so you'll finally believe that this is legit. Haha

Are you a drug mule? Or does this involve a scheme that is pyramid shaped in nature?

I know this sounds super sketch from the vague posts I've made about it, but the long emails and more specific stuff that I haven't shared make it without-a-doubt legit.

Congrats homie. Bout time you got some good news.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, Osborn was leading the Thunderbolts at the time of Secret Invasion. During the Secret Invasion, he kills the Skrull leader and becomes a hero. They get rid of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the wake of the Secret Invasion and replace it with H.A.M.M.E.R. led by Osborn and then Osborn starts his own Avengers.

What is this, Mass Effect? Next thing you'll tell me is that there is an organization called S.W.O.R.D..

Rhaknar

Dark Reign Fantastic Four #1-4: very fun read, even the kids part was good (Valeria don't give no fucks about Gargan Venom lol). Really liked the time travel / alternate dimensions merging of the 3 members, just the type of weird adventure I expect from F4. Reed's "it's all my fault and I'm the only person that can fix things because I'm the smartest" thing has bad news written all over it. Also he comes off as a pick. On to F4 #570

But not before Dark Reign Cabal #1. A collection of 5 short stories, this was actually very good but only one of them is by Hickman, and none of it seems to have anything to do with F4 so I'm not sure why I read it (well besides the fact that it's a good book)

Fintan

Dark Reign Fantastic Four #1-4: very fun read, even the kids part was good (Valeria don't give no fucks about Gargan Venom lol). Really liked the time travel / alternate dimensions merging of the 3 members, just the type of weird adventure I expect from F4. Reed's "it's all my fault and I'm the only person that can fix things because I'm the smartest" thing has bad news written all over it. Also he comes off as a pick. On to F4 #570

But not before Dark Reign Cabal #1. A collection of 5 short stories, this was actually very good but only one of them is by Hickman, and none of it seems to have anything to do with F4 so I'm not sure why I read it (well besides the fact that it's a good book)
In the Omnibus they only include the Hickman section. It's Doom talking to Namor, right?

Kipp

Too excited and can't read any Strangers in Paradise now. Stupid job already killing what was left of my comics-reading hobby.

HOWEVER, once I get back into comics hardcore (which I fully expect to happen; the ebb and flow of enjoyment of something happens to most of us and has happened to me before), I'll be able to buy ALL THE COMICS. I'M FINALLY GOING TO BE A BALLER.

Too excited and can't read any Strangers in Paradise now. Stupid job already killing what was left of my comics-reading hobby.

HOWEVER, once I get back into comics hardcore (which I fully expect to happen; the ebb and flow of enjoyment of something happens to most of us and has happened to me before), I'll be able to buy ALL THE COMICS. I'M FINALLY GOING TO BE A BALLER.

In the meantime, you'll have to settle for those comics that come with DC Super Heroes Lego sets.

You traitor.

Owzers

I was ready to watch a great NBA game tonight but OKC didn't make that deal. Cavs/Lakers next....i don't think it's happening.

Kipp

In the meantime, you'll have to settle for those comics that come with DC Super Heroes Lego sets.

You traitor.

I refuse to buy any DC Super Heroes Lego sets. Can't even support the comics industry in that tiny way.

But really I just think they're way overpriced and I don't really care for them that much. Except for Darkseid Invasion which I'm tempted to buy even though it's pretty overpriced.

Kipp

Ayyyy lmao.

I'm reading Cinder & Ashe right now and I'm just blown away.

Nice! I'd love to hear a full mini-review after you finish. When that first popped up on IST it really interested me. I would've ordered it if there was anything else I wanted that week since it was only $7.50 or something. I tried to figure out some other stuff to buy to add up to $50 just so I could grab that, IIRC.

Top Bottom