• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Serious question ComicGAF:
What comics has Christopher Priest written in the past 10 if any?

From Grayson 6

Is Spyder something from Batman Inc? This is the first Tim Seeley script in a few issues and his stlye is a bit more dense, even pulling something from Blackhawks #1 which I had to look up.

Just finished reading Rat Queens. The comic really wasn't on my radar but I wanted to jump aboard after they announced that Sejic would take over art duties. I'm glad I did because this book is hilarious and pretty unique.

The first few issues were pretty wtf, I think the world and the characters take a little getting used to. Also, it's hilarious that they went through with the idea that female dwarves have beards. Made me think back to what Gimli said in LoTR haha.

Yeah, when I first started reading it, my impression was like opening the door to a groups DnD session and eavesdropping on their in jokes without any reference point. That made the first couple issues really hard to get into. I kind of hope they do an re-introduction issue when the new artist comes on board.

Avengers question -
How did Black Swan get out of her prison cube? I was reading #40 and it just occurred to me I don't remember how she got out.

Holy fuckballs, that's a way better discount than the one I get in my store.

Edit after reading FAQ: Errr, you need to pick up 10 titles to get the 30% discount, and then it's a $1/book shipping fee and then you only get your books at the end of each month. My excitement has kind of been extinguished.

Shit. I got super fucking pumped when I saw the 30% off but was wondering about the shipping. Oh well. I think if they woulda done a "30% off cover price, free shipping if order over 10 titles" I might've been a little bit more inclined. Although the end of the month deal is still kinda fucked.

I own 63 diffefent hardcovers or trades that I have purchased but have yet to read.

#confessions

yo this is unacceptable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
After reading the Deadpool kills Deadpool freebie in the Marvel Comic App, I just realized that Spider-Verse is almost an 1 to 1 Rip-off of an 2013 Deadpool story o_O

Boogiepop

Still enjoying Exiles! Finished off the fourth Ultimate Collection last night. Really like that the big villain right now is
Protues
. Always found him kind of neat. Also, I hadn't heard of this New Universe stuff till last night. Was any of it any good at all? Seems kind of vaguely interesting, but it also feels like the kind of thing that could've been absolutely awful, too...

Owzers

i have a wii u and mario galaxy 2 wii unplayed, is there any advantage to getting the new wii u digital version or should i just play the wii copy?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Shit. I got super fucking pumped when I saw the 30% off but was wondering about the shipping. Oh well. I think if they woulda done a "30% off cover price, free shipping if order over 10 titles" I might've been a little bit more inclined. Although the end of the month deal is still kinda fucked.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was hoping for. At this point, the discount is almost negated by the shipping, and then you're waiting 'til the end of the month. And we all know discussion past the week of a book's release is fucking deaded almost instantly.

CBTech

From Grayson 6

Is Spyder something from Batman Inc? This is the first Tim Seeley script in a few issues and his stlye is a bit more dense, even pulling something from Blackhawks #1 which I had to look up.

Spyder is introduced at some point during Morrison's run I believe. I vaguely remember Stephenie Brown being undercover at the school. I think it when Dick was Batman.

Tizoc

Didnt he wrote this one famous Black Panther Run, which Marvel is going to re-release in March?
Wasnt it from 2006?

Pretty sure his BP run was from the mid/late 90s ;P
I don't know of any BP run he made during the mid 2000s, the only other writers to work on a BP series are Hudlin and Jason Aaron.

From Grayson 6

Wait he's writing Grayson?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Also Avengers question:

The current storyline (Cabal + multiple Avengers teams etc) focuses on a different universe than 616, right? At least that's what I think when I see Beardy McReed and all. Is the Cabal "our" cabal? If not, why even care? This storyline confuses the hell out of me since the Cabal first showed up..

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't know of any BP run he made during the mid 2000s, the only other writers to work on a BP series are Hudlin and Jason Aaron.

1998 until 2003... Well, almost 10 years ago :D

But I am suprised. Looked up the art a couple of weeks ago and it didnt looked that 90s at all.

Drayco21

Also Avengers question:

The current storyline (Cabal + multiple Avengers teams etc) focuses on a different universe than 616, right? At least that's what I think when I see Beardy McReed and all. Is the Cabal "our" cabal? If not, why even care? This storyline confuses the hell out of me since the Cabal first showed up..

No, it's set in the same universe as the rest of the series, it's just eight months into the future of every other book getting printed.

Question for weekly comic buyers. Would a page like this annoy you?

Possible spoilers for New Suicide Squad #6.

http://i.imgur.com/oWfVww7.gif

Context is king- without it, it's hard to tell what the impact is. Generally speaking though, I really hate how overused splash pages are these days- some writers like Bendis seem to try and whittle a book down to as many two page spreads with as little happening in them as possible, and it's really devalued them.

arkon

He's currently doing some work with Valiant following up on the original Quantum and Woody series he did way back. It's called Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody.

Wait he's writing Grayson?

Tim Seeley and Tom King are the writers. They plot the stories together but they take turns with scripts.

It depends on the context. Yes, it's a "waste of space" in many regards, but as a page turn into a serious OH FUCK moment, it might be acceptable.

Context is king- without it, it's hard to tell what the impact is. Generally speaking though, I really hate how overused splash pages are these days- some writers like Bendis seem to try and whittle a book down to as many two page spreads with as little happening in them as possible, and it's really devalued them.

Like GH said if it leads to a legitimate OHH SHIT moment I'd be cool with it.

True about context. I saw this posted on reddit where a few people complained about a "wasted percentage" of their 22 page comic and wondered about it. I only ever read collected editions, so a consideration of whether a single issue was "worth it" never really comes up.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's set in the same universe as the rest of the series, it's just eight months into the future of every other book getting printed.

Oh. Ooooooh. That puts things into perspective, I missed that somehow.

True about context. I saw this posted on reddit where a few people complained about a "wasted percentage" of their 22 page comic and wondered about it. I only ever read collected editions, so a consideration of whether a single issue was "worth it" never really comes up.

I've certainly had issues of comics where I blazed through it in just a few minutes and then those that I spent upwards of 15-20 minutes on because it was so dense with words. Generally speaking, too many splash pages are going to make the experience a little less satisfying, too little text means the eyes just sort of meander and then move on without a reason to hang out for too long. Getting to the point where you are judging how much of a comic is "wasted" probably means that the creative team isn't keeping their readers engaged. But no, I don't generally think too hard about how meaty the content is unless it falls into one of the extremes: way too little, or alot.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just put my backlog in my "To read"-shelf... 84 Trades, 9 Hardcovers and 9 OHCs & Omnibusses in the backlog, not countimg a handfull of Floppies.

Owzers

We have a new rating system specifically for this.

It's not like he's gotten lazy. He's written comics like that since like Jinx. It has nothing to do with diminishing returns. It's his style. If that was really devaluing the technique it never would have survived this long, as he's been doing it for decades and thus, by this logic, it would be long extinct by now.

Just put my backlog in my "To read"-shelf... 84 Trades, 9 Hardcovers and 9 OHCs & Omnibusses in the backlog, not countimg a handfull of Floppies.

Woah that is scary.
I too have an inordinate in my 'to read' bookcases, let alone floppies. So many OHCs still sealed too. I'll get to them when I retire...which will be in 40+ years time.

Why have a library if you have already read all the books in it?

Bii

Yikes. I haven't bought a trade in awhile since I still have 40 or so in my backlog. Luckily I'm caught up with my floppies save for this week and last week. My excuse for not getting my trades backlog down in December was because I was making the most use out of my Marvel U sub. Read 60+ issues of Runaways, 12 issues of Planet Hulk and the one-shot of Daredevil 2099.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
30 trades are Spider-Man books Ive read in the past and bought now to read it at a later point again or to not have gaps in the collection. So the real backlog isnt that enormous big but still... I was a little bit horrified as I counted them after I finished...
This stupid idea I had as I decided to try to buy every Spider-Man focused book *g*

ARCHMPR-1-VARIANT-1-FC-FNL4x6-13cec.jpg

arkon

Tim Seeley and Tom King are the writers. They plot the stories together but they take turns with scripts.

He's probably wondering why you quoted his post asking about Christopher Priest's recent output and then went on to ignore that question and talk about Grayson.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Do they definitely alternate? Because I feel like past the first issue or two, it's been King on writing duty.

frye

He's actually got a Quantum and Woody thing coming out right now but I've not read it. Before that was just about 10 years ago (a little over) with The Crew and Captain America and the Falcon which iirc ended up being the reason he quit comics.

Zombine

Banned
So what is the tumblr shite community picking up on these days? I've been out of the loop for like a minute and need to figure out what it is they enjoy so I can exploit it for monetary gain.

yo this is unacceptable.

I have to add a +1 to that list because I just added Wolfsmund vol 1 to that list. I'm not even counting what I have digitally lol.

Filthy Slug

So what is the tumblr shite community picking up on these days? I've been out of the loop for like a minute and need to figure out what it is they enjoy so I can exploit it for monetary gain.

Furries. Pretty sure furries are IN.

Still enjoying Exiles! Finished off the fourth Ultimate Collection last night. Really like that the big villain right now is
Protues
. Always found him kind of neat. Also, I hadn't heard of this New Universe stuff till last night. Was any of it any good at all? Seems kind of vaguely interesting, but it also feels like the kind of thing that could've been absolutely awful, too...

Glad someone is enjoying the Exiles! Is that the 'World's Tour" arc? If so, that's where things started to fall apart for me, it was just way too long. I also preferred when they went to weird, new universes rather than established ones. Still one of my favorite series for the most part!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Furries and Kamala Khan.

Seriously though, I'm gonna chop away at my backlog of books and I think I'm gonna begin with Cinder & Ashe. Book looks like it's gonna blow my mind.

when Brand or Trish fucked Beast, were they furries?

Top Bottom