• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

fauxtrot

Banned
Gonna need a superhero in a wheelchair to round out the team so I have flashbacks of grade-school textbooks and PBS childrens' shows.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is this going to be the Marvel Now! roster we've seen earlier?

rpqlbvm2egwof5itmy8n.jpg

hm.... so who's your favored creative team for Avengers?

Gerry Duggan (if they're going to turn it into MCU-lite, he's probably the best option for that tone) and Stuart Immonen

Would love Waid, Fraction or Peter David. PAD would be perfect for a book about a team of Avengers made out of whoever's left once Manhattan gets sucked into Battleworld.

fauxtrot

Banned
Will we ever get another true comics legend like Grant Morrison or Alan Moore? It'd be an exciting time if something came out and really blew people's minds. Unfortunately, you can only really go post-modern once... so we likely won't witness that kind of a thing ever again. :(

Will we ever get another true comics legend like Grant Morrison or Alan Moore? That'll be an exciting day when something comes out and it really blows people's minds. Unfortunately, you can only really go post-modern once... so we likely won't witness that kind of a thing ever again. :(

Give Rafa his shot!

Will we ever get another true comics legend like Grant Morrison or Alan Moore? It'd be an exciting time if something came out and really blew people's minds. Unfortunately, you can only really go post-modern once... so we likely won't witness that kind of a thing ever again. :(

I think it's harder to do that these days, in the age where you have TV Tropes pulling apart your story and the likes of people that freezeframe every image of a trailer. We know all the tricks now. Also, stories have become way more plot-heavy, and a lot of people, at least people I know, seem to value how good stories are by how many twists there are in the plot. Something like Morrison's JLA from a new writer would be a flop in today's market.

Could Angela be used in the films? Does Marvel have the film rights to her as well?

I hope not. She really irritates me. We dodged a bullet when it looked like Karen Gillan was going to be her in GOTG. Got a good laugh out of the Daily Heil insisting that was going to be the case even after she shaved her head.

Gerard Way is too busy with his music :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

from the love he gets here (and on podcasts ive noticed) isnt Hickman going that route?

dan2026

I can't quite put Hickman on the level of Morrison.
But he is very, very good.

Morrison is just one of those rare batshit crazy talents that comes round once in a blue moon.

fauxtrot

Banned
Hickman is a master storyteller, but he is more following in the footsteps of the greats that came before him rather than breaking down walls no one even knew existed and dragging the industry onto a new path altogether. This is not a slight against him... like I said earlier, I doubt we'll ever see that sort of thing happen again.

Zombine

Banned
Hahahaha. This is unbelievable.
Okay, so I'm sure you all remember my friend who plans to get engaged to this girl after knowing her for two weeks. So my mom was having dinner with a couple of her friends and she was telling them about what had happened (since they asked if I'd gone to Colorado yet or something) and, long story short, one of my mom's friend's nephews also dated this girl AND THEY GOT ENGAGED. THIS GIRL IS ONLY 21 YEARS OLD. SHE'S ALREADY BEEN ENGAGED.
I thought it couldn't get any better.

This sounds like an arc in Strangers In Paradise.

from the love he gets here (and on podcasts ive noticed) isnt Hickman going that route?

Like his stuff generally, but his work doesn't have the warmth or love for the medium that Morrison has. Even Moore, when he's tearing characters to shreds, when you read something like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, his love for the old stories those characters come from comes across.

Hickman's stuff feels cold at times. Morrison and Moore are more like magicians, whereas Hickman is more scientific. I think a lot of that is his graphic design background, when you do something like multimedia as a job, you are effectively making art a science. That comes across in his work, at least to me it does anyway.

dan2026

Like his stuff generally, but his work doesn't have the warmth or love for the medium that Morrison has. Even Moore, when he's tearing characters to shreds, when you read something like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, his love for the old stories those characters come from comes across.

Hickman's stuff feels cold at times. Morrison and Moore are more like magicians, whereas Hickman is more scientific. I think a lot of that is his graphic design background, when you do something like multimedia as a job, you are effectively making art a science. That comes across in his work, at least to me it does anyway.

Wow put it better than I ever could. Bravo dude.

Fjordson

Well said. Though I like Hickman overall.

I could never get into a lot of Morrison's work to be honest. Clearly a talented guy and I like some of it, like WE3 or Arkham Asylum, but I'd much rather read say...Warren Ellis. He may be my favorite working writer after Alan Moore (though I haven't read anything by Moore in years).

Vyer

Which is probably why FF was such a great fit.

Mafro

hm.... so who's your favored creative team for Avengers?
Remender - deserves it after his work on Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers. Probably the most obvious choice out of all the writers at Marvel just now.
Ribic - his work on Thor was brilliant and he's worked with Remender before.

fauxtrot

Banned
How many issues of Spider Gwen will we get before Robbi Rodriguez is replaced by a lesser artist? I hate this new habit Marvel seems to be in.

Hate me all you want, but I would love to see a few issues drawn by Filipe Andrade...

Is this going to be the Marvel Now! roster we've seen earlier?

I still can't wait to find out if the Avenger's Trinity, as shown, is something they are going to transition to in the movies or if it's just a temporary comic thing. Cause this cast of characters, man. Take away Cap and Lady Thor and that's like MARVEL UPCOMING MOVIES BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW, the Comic.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I feel Jason Aaron is becoming a super star

A lot of his stuff is absolutely excellent, but he's just taking everything that's been done already and doing it even better. I think the point fauxtrot was making is that there's no room anymore for anyone truly earth-shattering to enter the scene. It's all been done before, so all that's left is to build on what was done before (which Aaron is doing incredibly well, and that's not even close to being a bad thing).

With that said, I'm so excited to re-read Scalped when all the Deluxe editions are released. That is one incredible comic.
And I'm equally excited to read Southern Bastards whenever that finishes.

PsychBat!

Banned
I feel that Hickman doesn't have that much influence in the Marvel comic industry entirely to move forward unrestrained. Not like say, Morrison has with DC or Bendis within the same company. And I think restraining someone in the comic book industry is awful and inhibits creativity but that's another topic for another day. I'm not even saying that DC lets Morrison do his work without restricting him and they have to kiss his ass or whatever, I just think that Morrison knows the comic book industry really well due to his experience. And that's the point, I think it's experience that got him to where he is, the experience that made him such a wonderful metaphysical writer. I read and look at Morrison's work and this guy goes infinity and beyond with his imagination and expression, he loves the comic book medium of story telling. It's an art for him.

Hickman hasn't been on the scene as long as Morrison has. Not even close to amounting half the years Morrison has been working on comics. This isn't a bad thing. Rhaknar asked if Hickman is going to that route. Not whether he is on the level of Morrison or Moore right now. And my answer is yes, Hickman is getting there. And it will be a long time before he is considered one of the greats. What I love about Hickman is that he builds better worlds (lol alien ref) and they connect within each other that it's like one long piece of woven fabric. The stories he makes are consistently built around a solid and interesting theme. Lies (Secret Warriors), Love (Fantastic Four/FF), Ideals (S.H.I.E.L.D.) and Good (Avengers) and Evil (New Avengers). And while the books have a core theme, they are not exclusive to one another at all. Each of them share the elements of what made the others so amazingly compelling without losing focus of the centric theme they have. Sure, Tetrax is right that his work feels more scientific but I wouldn't count that as a negative. Not even close. Hickman IS is a master story teller but he's more than that.

Jonathan Hickman is a fantastic world builder. And I have a feeling he's just getting started.

Top Bottom