• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

E the Shaggy

So so many great ideas coming but whoa with these two I am in HEAVEN.

Convergence seems very strange to me. Like it's taking all these timelines and sticking them inside domes? They've all be inside domes for quite a while it seems?

Also, I feel like we're never going to actually have the reasoning behind why the New 52 happened in the first place. Pandora asked Barry to erase time because.....??

barrin87

Has anyone read the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics and are they any good? I was thinking about grabbing the first couple library editions of season 8 in my next IST order.

Read the first two trades of Spawn Origins and I am still liking them as I did when I was younger so I'll probably grab another couple of those also.

Owzers

Has anyone read the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics and are they any good? I was thinking about grabbing the first couple library editions of season 8 in my next IST order.

Read the first two trades of Spawn Origins and I am still liking them as I did when I was younger so I'll probably grab another couple of those also.

Buffy comics are solid for the most part, season eight started quite strong but i really didn't like how the season was resolved during the final arc and its run-up.

PsychBat!

Banned
Damn, I was late for the Sonic crazy palooza. Ah well.

shrek-x-shadow-o.gif

I did like the last thing I read though, with
them just throwing a billion Wolverines all over the place
, if only for the pure outlandishness of the concept.

I loved that arc,just complete over the top goofiness and it was the best. I think the series lost some magic when Bedard hopped on and never returned to form. I don't know if your collections include the Exiles reboot that only lated 6 issues by Jeff Parker, but you should definitely track it down if not, had some really cool ideas that could have been expanded on if the series had just lasted a little longer.

Afrodium

Banned
Reading Hickman's FF and these pages made me laugh out loud.

said:

This absurdity is why I love comics. "Hey son, sorry it's been awhile but I absorbed and explosion and now I can control time. Also, all versions of myself from all universes were catapulted 600,000 years into the future where there's a floating head called Immortus that polices time. Given that my parallel-universe time traveling doppelgängers are in violation of the time laws, he committed a genocide of me's, and Ive escaped to your time for assistance."

And then Reed's just like, "Okay dad, I think my friend Victor von Doom can help."

If this happened to me I'd check into an asylum.

Boogiepop

Oh, and before I forget... The Heroes Reborn Earth is literally just sitting on the opposite side of the sun? Is that still in continuity? Just seems like an odd thing, plus I'd imagine that would terribly mess with the physics of the Solar System...

those run the jewels covers are hilarious. if i was actually interested in either book i would have snatched those up ASAP.

what's the consensus on wytches around here so far? it's pleasantly creepy but the art is what's shining here for me.

PsychBat!

Banned
Wytches is great, I put it in my top five of the week when the last issue came out.

And that Squirrel Girl cover was shown days ago, we just didn't know it was a variant.

Owzers

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll at least grab the first couple then. Did season 9 and 10 get any better?

Season nine was okay, not as many highs/lows as eight, i'd give it an random 6.5/10ish. If you like Season eight i don't think you'd regret continuing. I just bought the first five issues of season ten on darkhorse digital's app, which does exist, but i haven't read them yet.

tim1138

Looking at the Convergence solicits and I guess DC is now holding the line at $3.99. The main book and the tie ins are all $4 books.

Vibranium

Banned
Looking at the Convergence solicits and I guess DC is now holding the line at $3.99. The main book and the tie ins are all $4 books.

$4.99 regular books, let's go! Seriously, the pricing model is depressing.

Some days I wish I lived when comics were only 25 cents...

barrin87

Season nine was okay, not as many highs/lows as eight, i'd give it an random 6.5/10ish. If you like Season eight i don't think you'd regret continuing. I just bought the first five issues of season ten on darkhorse digital's app, which does exist, but i haven't read them yet.

Thanks for the information! I'll see how I like season 8 before I buy any of 9 then.

E the Shaggy

$4.99 regular books, let's go! Seriously, the pricing model is depressing.

Some days I wish I lived when comics were only 25 cents...

I had recently bought a ton of books from GoHastings used for something like $3-5 per trade. Seemed pretty fair all things considered.

I feel like Marvel Unlmited is the perfect model for comic book pricing in the future. Paying a monthly rate for unlimited books.

I just finished reading Star Wars Issue 1. I really enjoyed it. One issue I have with it though, is that the lightsaber fights are weird in the way they are drawn...

fauxtrot

Banned
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 was such a treat... but I can't help but worry that this will be another Batgirl situation where a lack of actual plot progression makes me lose interest. Someone #SaveBatgirl...

I haven't read Star Wars #1 or The Walking Dead #136 yet... saving those for last.

Anyone else still reading The Kitchen? I'm not sure what to think just yet, but I'll still pick up the rest of the run since it's a mini-series.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am so nerdy, I think I will put a short Star Wars Soundtrack Playlist together that fits the Comic.

So amazing, cant wait for Darth Vader and Princess Leia.

Oh shit, this is the year we will get the first of a lot of new Star Wars Movies... I still cant believe it :D I just love those movies so much.

Owzers

I hope Star Wars ends up on MU but i dunno they seem to mostly put Marvel Universe stuff up only.

Also i presume i won't like it, I'm never very fond of things that take place in between two stories, i feel like the content is too boxed in.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hope Star Wars ends up on MU but i dunno they seem to mostly put Marvel Universe stuff up only.

Also i presume i won't like it, I'm never very fond of things that take place in between two stories, i feel like the content is too boxed in.

Is stuff like Oz or the Dark Tower on MU?

I am curious how they will manage the stories and when we will see books that take place between Empire and Jedi and Books that take place in a time far away from the movies.

Well that sucks. I imagine (hopefully) that's just for the event months. They've been so good about keeping the prices and quality of paper stock reasonable, unlike Marvel. I'd hate for them to follow down that path.

$4.99 Marvel

fauxtrot

Banned
It's part of the new canon... only the movies, the tv shows (Clone Sage / Rebels), and now these comics will be the official story. Star Wars #1 takes place between Eps 4 & 5.

edit - Since I was beaten and this post is no longer important, here's a picture of Chip Zdarsky as Garfield:

tumblr_ni4z460pyU1s6ops8o1_1280.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
I dislike much of the Clone Wars. But accept it as canon.

I saw the first two episodes of Rebels and to my surprise, it was pretty good. Felt like it was part of the Original Trilogy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hahahaha. This is unbelievable.
Okay, so I'm sure you all remember my friend who plans to get engaged to this girl after knowing her for two weeks. So my mom was having dinner with a couple of her friends and she was telling them about what had happened (since they asked if I'd gone to Colorado yet or something) and, long story short, one of my mom's friend's nephews also dated this girl AND THEY GOT ENGAGED. THIS GIRL IS ONLY 21 YEARS OLD. SHE'S ALREADY BEEN ENGAGED.
I thought it couldn't get any better.

Okay, so I'm sure you all remember my friend who plans to get engaged to this girl after knowing her for two weeks. So my mom was having dinner with a couple of her friends and she was telling them about what had happened (since they asked if I'd gone to Colorado yet or something) and, long story short, one of my mom's friend's nephews also dated this girl AND THEY WERE ENGAGED TOO. THIS GIRL IS ONLY 21 YEARS OLD. SHE'S ALREADY BEEN ENGAGED.

lmaooooooooo

fauxtrot

Banned
I feel so sorry for this sad bastard, but also it sounds like he's in need of some callousness in his heart and this upcoming train-wreck should do the trick. Good luck being the best friend that constantly wants to say "everyone knew this would happen, you dolt" while you help him back to his feet.

Kipp

I feel so sorry for this sad bastard, but also it sounds like he's in need of some callousness in his heart and this upcoming train-wreck should do the trick. Good luck being the best friend that constantly wants to say "everyone knew this would happen, you dolt" while you help him back to his feet.

Haha yeah. I suppose time will tell.
I kinda want him to go through with all of this, just so that he didn't ruin the whole Colorado thing for nothing. Haha. I mean, it worked out in the end for me at least, since I ended up landing this job (exactly a week after I learned that Colorado wasn't going to happen, too), but still. And hey, maybe it will miraculously work out for him too and he'll live happily ever after with this random girl.

I feel like I'd really want to meet this girl. What makes her so great?

I met her and she seemed like a nice enough, pretty cool person, but nothing about her was like "WOW THIS IS A GIRL THAT SOMEONE WOULD SAY THEY WANT TO MARRY AFTER KNOWING THEM FOR TWO WEEKS."
Basically I'm just as clueless as you.

Okay, so I'm sure you all remember my friend who plans to get engaged to this girl after knowing her for two weeks. So my mom was having dinner with a couple of her friends and she was telling them about what had happened (since they asked if I'd gone to Colorado yet or something) and, long story short, one of my mom's friend's nephews also dated this girl AND THEY GOT ENGAGED. THIS GIRL IS ONLY 21 YEARS OLD. SHE'S ALREADY BEEN ENGAGED.

@Kipp |OT|
KuGsj.gif
I hope all this has a follow up, also congrats on the job.

@COMICS |OT|
These dark circle comics are looking good

MG310

I read Squirrel Girl.

I keep bringing it back to things related to Penny Arcade but the writing/humor remind me a lot of Abby Howard.(and oddly the way the writing on Squirrel Girl's moving boxes looks)

Here's her stuff - http://www.jspowerhour.com/

Enjoyed the book quite a bit.
Hopefully they'll do a blank cover at some point.

Kipp

@Kipp |OT|
KuGsj.gif
I hope all this has a follow up, also congrats on the job.

@COMICS |OT|
These dark circle comics are looking good

Oh, I'll definitely keep you guys updated. Don't worry about that. Haha
And thanks!

Also, that promo for Dark Circle Comics does look great. Is that comic going to take place in the 70s, or is that just a 70s themed poster? I would totally dig a superhero comic that takes place in the 70s.

Top Bottom