• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Read both of the Wonder Woman issues with the new writer. Honestly, It's not as bad as people have made it out of be. In fact I actually like the themes it seems to be aiming to explore. "What happens when your responsibilities overwhelm your capacity to take care of them." Finch continues to draw baby face high school Diana which is mildly annoying and his eyes can be disconcerting at times. Alot of the blowback is probably less about the quality and more a "It's no longer the thing I was invested in for three years and I don't like change." response.

I give it 7 sillymonkey321's out of 10, trending upwards because I wanna see the Donna Troy tumblr crowd react to her reintroduction.

Zombine

Banned
Damn...read that last chapter of Wolfsmund vol 1 last night and that might have been the most intense thing I read all month.

Damn...read that last chapter of Wolfsmund vol 1 last night and that might have been the most intense thing I read all month.

3irGW8t.jpg

Also, ... Wut.

Lewd.

What sort of Animu Messi S&M are you getting me into?

Zombine

Banned

Also, ... Wut.

Lewd.

What sort of Animu Messi S&M are you getting me into?

She never gets naked or goes full Hentai in Wolfsmund. She runs a brothel in the wall side of the Austrian state who is pro-revolution and working in procuring and securing information from the Swiss. It's implied that she uses sex to get what she wants, but it's never shown. Outside of her lusty exterior is someone who just wants to see Willhem and the King dead. This isn't your typical manga.

When I saw that on the cover I was incredibly disaappointed. She's been captured :/

I'm pretty excited to check it out. I just love this sort of stuff. Historical and Alt Historical adaptations are so much fun.

Also, lol cover spoilers.

Zombine

Banned
I'm pretty excited to check it out. I just love this sort of stuff. Historical and Alt Historical adaptations are so much fun.

Also, lol cover spoilers.

I know. Why they went with that I will never understand. The cover of issue one is pretty vague.

I do think that those of us who do read Manga should create a list of crossover titles for ComicGAF that don't contain a majority of the typical Manga tropes, and are just good books regardless of what medium they fall it.

Berserk, Wolfsmund, Vagabond, Terra Fomars, Gantz, Vinland Saga, and Uzumaki are all books that I think ComicGAF would enjoy.

Zombine

Banned
Isn't this based on real events? Can you spoil history?

The core concept of it is certainly based on real events, but was Wolfsmund a real place? I have no clue.

I think the book is based on real events in the same way that 300 was, only this book is compelling and isn't shallow.

The core concept of it is certainly based on real events, but was Wolfsmund a real place? I have no clue.

I think the book is based on real events in the same way that 300 was, only this book is compelling and isn't shallow.

Are you suggesting historical accuracy may be questionable? Come on, I mean, I've read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms books and the Dynasty Warriors games seem pretty spot on. Give a notable character 5000 men and they'll defeat 25000+ like it was nothing. It's basically a side note.

"Oh, yeah. Zhao Yun took 5000 men through the pass and totally wrecked an army 5x his size because yo, he was pretty sick with that spear."

Zombine

Banned
Are you suggesting historical accuracy may be questionable? Come on, I mean, I've read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms books and the Dynasty Warriors games seem pretty spot on. Give a notable character 5000 men and they'll defeat 25000+ like it was nothing. It's basically a side note.

"Oh, yeah. Zhao Yun took 5000 men through the pass and totally wrecked an army 5x his size because yo, he was pretty sick with that spear."

This book is more like Infinity Blade in that regard, because everyone wants to take down the big guy, and they're all like "it's gonna be me! I can feel it!"

Nope. I honestly think these guys may need the Konami code at this point, and it's only volume 1.

Speaking of games, back in November I built myself a monster of a gaming PC, and this book made me want to buy Civ V on Steam. I'm gonna download it and get sucked in today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hoooooooly shit at that Madrox mini series o_O

It was basically a mutant noir detective story (although him actually saying it was noir kinda defeats the purpose, but still!).

Love the angle of Jamie sending out countless dupes doing whatever menial job just so he learns it when he absorbs them, such a smart idea. Love the angle of his dupes having different personality traits. Love the writing and the art. Yup, that was all around awesome. I'm excited about x-factor now, I saw that Syria is in it and I was just wondering where she was these days

Speaking of games, back in November I built myself a monster of a gaming PC, and this book made me want to buy Civ V on Steam. I'm gonna download it and get sucked in today.

It's really fucking dense to get into but I think Crusader Kings 2 is something you'd enjoy. You should look into it. Read up on some of the AAR of people's games. They pack so many crazy random events that you may only see once or twice in hundreds of hours of play but there are just so many of them.

Example: Having a Joan of Arc style storyline play out while playing as the King of Ireland, defending against the Norse Kings of Sweden, or have your ruler go insane and think s/he is the voice of Satan on Earth.

Had one game where I unified Ireland, joined the Crusades, was given Jerusalem by the Pope. For helping conquer it and formed the Kingdom of Israel and eventually conquered most of the Arab world. Also, somewhere along the line my dynasty turned German, so you had the German Jewish King of Ireland and Israel.

fertygo

This book is more like Infinity Blade in that regard, because everyone wants to take down the big guy, and they're all like "it's gonna be me! I can feel it!"

Nope. I honestly think these guys may need the Konami code at this point, and it's only volume 1.

Show me your D I mean spec.

kd-z

Hoooooooly shit at that Madrox mini series o_O

It was basically a mutant noir detective story (although him actually saying it was noir kinda defeats the purpose, but still!).

Love the angle of Jamie sending out countless dupes doing whatever menial job just so he learns it when he absorbs them, such a smart idea. Love the angle of his dupes having different personality traits. Love the writing and the art. Yup, that was all around awesome. I'm excited about x-factor now, I saw that Syria is in it and I was just wondering where she was these days

I presume you're about to start reading X-Factor now? I remember the first issue of the run having an awesome twist on the internal monologue concept. So good!

Speaking of which, are the Complete Collections of Peter David's run still coming out? I think I bought the first one early last year and the second volume came out soon after that, but when I tried searching for the next volume it didn't yield any results.

I'm constantly trying to catch up with the thread (every page, every post is a potential recommendation of a great comics series, so I ahve to read all of them!!!) and yo, apparently Jedeye got permabanned for some nasty KKK stuff? He was supposed to be my comics Jedi Master and he turned to the Dark Side? Not cool :(

Zombine

Banned
Show me your D I mean spec.

I'm rolling with a GTX 970, z97x SLI MB, 8gb ram (upgrading to 8 x 2 in Feb) with various other bells and whistles. My case is one of those massive cooler master ones with the blue LED's. I think I'll change them out to match my Blackwidow keyboard and my Naga.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spoilers for a five year old Flash series:

It was some ghosts or something which made Flash feel bad and made him think doing Flashpoint was a good idea.
It's been several years since I've read those issues.

Thanks^^

I hope they do a modern Flash Omnibus or Deluxe Edition soon, Flash is one of the DC Characters, I want to know more about ^^

Tizoc

Thanks^^

I hope they do a modern Flash Omnibus or Deluxe Edition soon, Flash is one of the DC Characters, I want to know more about ^^

wELL GEnerally speaking the must read series are:
Waid's Early 90s run
Morrison and Millar's run from the mid 90s
Geoff Johns' run from the late 90s onwards

That's it off the top of my head.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
havent started x-factor yet but I gotta ask, with a much bigger cast than the Madrox mini series (compared to just madrox, strong guy and wolfsbane), does it lose the detective agency angle? does it go back to regular super hero team? that would be lame as hell :/

Boogiepop

Well, I finished off Exiles last night. And yeah, that was just a steady slip down in quality up until the terrible ending, pretty much around when they get a base of operations. And you can really tell when Claremont hops on just by reading the dialogue, and... eugh, that's where it gets straight up bad. The final actual arc being that terrible X-men: Die by the Sword thing. I mean, it's near jibberish, even admitting that I wasn't up to date on the Excalibur stuff. Like, how is it that you have a guy with full on reality warping powers, who is literally just turning the heroes into the thing that killed him, and then... he turns out to secretly BE that thing that killed him which fused to him, and then when that switches places with him it's supposed to be a worse threat? Despite it being seemingly just a big thing that hits hard and heals fast? And then they beat it by... having Blink throw all her crystals at it, which explodes it despite that not being her powers at all? And the whole time the strategy by the defenders of the multiverse seems to just be throw a ton of Captain Britains at the guy in a field in front of their headquarters in the hopes they'll punch him into submission. Just awful, weird garbage that somehow lasted five issues despite feeling like nothing at all actually happened.

Oh, and I realize and I can respect Claremont's desire to put in an homage to David Cockrum, but he really didn't do it right. Like, it's a nice thing to do in theory, but instead it was several issues of inserting him awkwardly into an important place in the Exiles backstory that shouldn't have existed and wasn't properly explained or fit whatsoever.

So yeah, anyone looking into the Exiles Ultimate Collections, you can definitely skip the 6th, and honestly probably the 5th as well.

Also, New Exiles is pure crap, right? But the 2009 series that's collected in a single trade is worth looking into?

kd-z

So, Star Wars #1 was legit! I couldn't hold my curiosity so I bought it on COmixology and really enjoyed it quite a lot. The dialogue is snappy, full of humor and basically feels like lifted from the original trilogy. Also, obligatory cut off hand!

The issue has a preview of the other two SW comics coming out soon and I must admit that, as much as I was dreading Larroca drawing the Vader one, it actually looked really good! Com eto think of it, though, I read only two comics he's drawn: Invincible Iron Man: Five Nightmares and Cable and the X-Force and I really liked his linework in the second one, so I guess it comes down to the colors with him?

Anyway, it feels good to be excited for Star Wars! I'll probably buy Darth Vader #1 and Princess leia #1 on Comixology and then proceed to trade-wait all three series.

havent started x-factor yet but I gotta ask, with a much bigger cast than the Madrox mini series (compared to just madrox, strong guy and wolfsbane), does it lose the detective agency angle? does it go back to regular super hero team? that would be lame as hell :/

I would say it's a midpoint between those two ideas. It becomes more of a regular team book, but never full on super heroish.
The cast and character development is the main selling point in my opinion.

So all the people on Star Wars, for those of you who didn't, how come you didn't read the Dark Horse stuff? I find it funny to hear all this praise for the Marvel Star Wars, when Dark Horse has a huge wealth of amazing stuff that really enriched the Expanded Universe.

having read the last few Spidey 2099s cause of Spider Verse I really can't support this hypothesis.

Unless gold is really devalued right now.

Is it? I'm too lazy to google it.

How is this not accurate? It's one of the best Jumping On Points in comic book history. It was designed for that express purpose.
I'm with Birdie on this. The current 2099 Spider-Man title is pretty meh. If he was announced as the next spider-man writer I wouldn't be that excited.

Messi

So all the people on Star Wars, for those of you who didn't, how come you didn't read the Dark Horse stuff? I find it funny to hear all this praise for the Marvel Star Wars, when Dark Horse has a huge wealth of amazing stuff that really enriched the Expanded Universe.

But now that doesn't exist. Marvel said so.

Sou Da

Legacy alone made me not want to touch that stuff. I did read some stuff here and there, I liked Son of Dathomir.

Nudull

Banned

I briefly read Brain Wood's ongoing before dropping it, and I read Sons of Dathomir before getting to the Marvel book. There was a metric shit-ton of Star Wars ongoings and miniseries under Dark Horse, and you could barely tell where to start. At least under Marvel and Disney, there's a fesh new continuity to dive into.

kd-z

I started reading comics exactly two years ago. I was planning on checking out some DH SW comics, just didn't get to it yet. And now that that universe is scrapped, I'm not sure I ever will.
It's not that I'm some continuity buff or anything. On the contrary: I'm in this for the stories and I'll take an amazing story that ignores the continuity over just another book every time. But from what I know, the DH SW books don' really have thos super-mindblowingly-amazing stories (please correct me if I'm wrong).

And there's also the fact that I'll be able to follow this new EU regularly, from the beginning. I hope it's fun!

Cheska

I was honestly LTTP on the Star Wars comics. It can be intimidating to jump into an existing franchise that is already so far along.

Busaiku

Is there gonna be a Skottie Young cover for Silk?
I can't seem to find anything for order, or any images, but I do see Spider-Gwen, which is coming out later.

Zombine

Banned

I love a lot of the EU books that I would actively read, books like Clone Wars, Legacy, some of the minis, and Tales...but there is no denying that Marvel has the pull to get better artists to complement great stories.

Tales was fun, but imagine getting Samnee to draw an arc of that? Or better yet, have it in Remenders hands? I would not put it past Marvel to re-interpret some of those stories with better names attached to them, and somehow manage to make them more palatable.

It's pretty sad that it was big news that Wood got put on Star Wars a year and a half ago...and that book ended up being balls.

I was honestly LTTP on the Star Wars comics. It can be intimidating to jump into an existing franchise that is already so far along.

I briefly read Brain Wood's ongoing before dropping it, and I read Sons of Dathomir before getting to the Marvel book. There was a metric shit-ton of Star Wars ongoings and miniseries under Dark Horse, and you could barely tell where to start. At least under Marvel and Disney, there's a fesh new continuity to dive into.

I started reading comics exactly two years ago. I was planning on checking out some DH SW comics, just didn't get to it yet. And now that that universe is scrapped, I'm not sure I ever will.
It's not that I'm some continuity buff or anything. On the contrary: I'm in this for the stories and I'll take an amazing story that ignores the continuity over just another book every time. But from what I know, the DH SW books don' really have thos super-mindblowingly-amazing stories (please correct me if I'm wrong).

And there's also the fact that I'll be able to follow this new EU regularly, from the beginning. I hope it's fun!

Interesting! I'm just curious is all. I'm endlessly fascinated by the power of the #1 or the reboot. Seeing the tug of war between established continuity and a fresh new take. It's especially interesting to see where it succeeds and where it fails.

In regards to the Disney/Marvel Star Wars, as something of a long time Star Wars EU fan, but more on the back burner end I've found their new focus to be... hmm... moderately bizarre? At least on the book end; The first novels included a book about Tarkin? Like, when they got ahold of the license, the first thing someone said was "Fuck man, we need a Tarkin book".

What sort of Star Wars books would you like to see?

I have to admit I'd love to see a new take on the Rogue Squadron premise. I just love the Starfighter side of the Star Wars universe. It really is the best part. Jedi/Sith stuff gets tedious after awhile... but man, the space combat stuff never fails to deliver.

IHaveIce

Banned
People in here shittalking the new GoTG run? Good count me in.

Bendis ruined all of the characters and gave no fuck explaining anything. Everyone is just like "oh cool Peter you back? let do GotG again" oh nope we don't even see something akin to that.

Abnett/lanning save us.

Or Hickmann :O

Messi

People in here shittalking the new GoTG run? Good count me in.

Bendis ruined all of the characters and gave no fuck explaining anything. Everyone is just like "oh cool Peter you back? let do GotG again" oh nope we don't even see something akin to that.

Abnett/lanning save us.

Or Hickmann :O

Damn. I thought you were gonna defend it for a second. Lol.

Small week.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
Sub Total for 7 items: $23.44
Discount @15%: $3.52
Sales Tax @0.0%: $0.00
Total: $19.92
BATMAN AND ROBIN #38 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #42 $2.99
BATMAN SUPERMAN #18 $3.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE #38 $3.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #38 (WEEKLY) $2.99
SUPERGIRL #38 $2.99