• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Zombine

Banned
I watch sci-fi channel made for tv movies. They are usually bad. I had high hopes for Maze Runner but it was really heavy on the " this is a teen fiction book made into a movie, you should know better", similar to Divergent, and in the same way you could tell it's one of those trilogy series things.

That's what you get for watching a movie about corn.

75425.png

Everything Peter David touches is gold and if we don't get finally get an ASM run from him before he dies Marvel will be a lesser publisher for it.

having read the last few Spidey 2099s cause of Spider Verse I really can't support this hypothesis.

Unless gold is really devalued right now.

Is it? I'm too lazy to google it.

Absolutely not.

How is this not accurate? It's one of the best Jumping On Points in comic book history. It was designed for that express purpose.

I watch sci-fi channel made for tv movies. They are usually bad. I had high hopes for Maze Runner but it was really heavy on the " this is a teen fiction book made into a movie, you should know better", similar to Divergent, and in the same way you could tell it's one of those trilogy series things.

It's pretty average-at-best. I think i'm just done with Young Adult adaptations, because apparently this was supposed to be one of the good ones! At least it's not as bad as The Giver, though. That was some shit.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
who's the idiot who ordered Preacher Vol. 2 in his latest IST order when he ordered the first two volumes in his previous order two months ago

it's me

Hahaha. That's pretty tragic. You can't even give it as a gift since it's the second volume.
If it makes you feel better, I was super worried I was going to do that during October when I was ordering all the Preacher volumes in a bunch of different orders (in order to put all my orders past the $50 threshold). I kept double and triple-checking which volumes I already had.

having read the last few Spidey 2099s cause of Spider Verse I really can't support this hypothesis.

I stopped reading it for now cause of Spider-Verse but 2099 was good before that. Waiting for the event to end so I can read it again.

Neoxon

Notice how the movie insignia for the Guardians has been adopted in the comics. It's basically Star-Lord's comic insignia/the Ravengers MCU insignia with the Nova Corps logo inside.

tumblr_nia874UpMN1sl0wxmo1_1280.jpg

Gamora has her badge on her belt, it's just out of view. Rocket also has the badge on his chest, much like he did in the movie when he got his Ravenger uniform. Hell, Star-Lord has his badge on his left shoulder, exact same place as his Ravenger logo on his movie duster jacket.
Plus, Cosmo & Mantis are back!

Zombine

Banned
Notice how the movie insignia for the Guardians has been adopted in the comics. It's basically Star-Lord's comic insignia/the Ravengers MCU insignia with the Nova Corps logo inside.

tumblr_nia874UpMN1sl0wxmo1_1280.jpg

Gamora has her badge on her belt, it's just out of view. Rocket also has the badge on his chest, much like he did in the movie when he got his Ravenger uniform. Hell, Star-Lord has his badge on his left shoulder, exact same place as his Ravenger logo on his movie duster jacket.
Plus, Cosmo & Mantis are back!

I really hate MCU for what it does to their comics. I've made the argument before, but fans of the films aren't picking up the books. They just don't care. If they did the industry wouldn't be falling apart.

Sou Da

You might be right, I haven't read the rebooted 2099. Although Spider-Verse taints just about everything and I question your judgement for wanting more
of it.
How is this not accurate? It's one of the best Jumping On Points in comic book history. It was designed for that express purpose.

I mostly said that because I value the books that came before BND a LOT more. Save for some Waid and Wells stuff BND is a largely mediocre era that led into one of the worst runs to date.

Tizoc

EDIT: WHY IS VEIWTIFULJC BANNED?!

Ah so the 1-50 is part of it, I guess the switch to #200 was them going back to the old numbering for whatever reason. Damn so that's a fucking long run, 50+63+5 from the mini :eek:

You guys are killing me

Edit: cool, searched for Peter David on MU and saw that he wrote that star face captain marvel, I remember digging that series back in the day. He also wrote some shulkie (woot) and he writes all new x-factor which you all hate :p

Peter David also wrote 10 years of the best Hulk stories, def. give his run a read too.

Someone school me on Spiderman, what should I get if I like the hero but know nothing else. My only request is that it be a self contained thing, like a completed omnibus/absolute/series of trades or whatever.

Personally I'd recommend Spiderman by JMS and John Romita Jr.

Alternatively there's the 2000s era re-imaging of Spiderman; Ultimate Spiderman by Brian Michael Bendis.

JMS' run was part of the main Marvel continuity but both those series are good.

You might be right, I haven't read the rebooted 2099. Although Spider-Verse taints just about everything and I question your judgement for wanting more
of it.

I mostly said that because I value the books that came before BND a LOT more. Save for some Waid and Wells stuff BND is a largely mediocre era that led into one of the worst runs to date.

Meh. No time for livin' in the past.

I'll take a Joe Kelly/Bachalo Spider-Story over some Michelinie/McFarlane Paladin story any day of the week.

(think a dude forgets about the Assassin Nation Plot?????)

Also, Spider-Verse is a blast. If you don't want more of Sheldon Vella drawing Punk Spider-Man, my judgement isn't the one in question.

Afrodium

Banned

If you like stories earlier than that then would you mind recommending a run to start on? I decided to give a shot at beginning with #1 and while so far it's cheesy and good for a laugh I don't know if I'm willing to read hundreds of corny villain of the week issues before the series starts to get a little more serious. Is there a place in the 90s or even 80s with some good stories? I know generally the main players in Spider-Man just from being alive on planet Earth my whole life so I don't imagine I'll get too lost starting a few hundred issues in.

barrin87

Read through Volume 1 of Sex Criminals through the Image HB and I really enjoyed it. I think I'll end up grabbing the second volume when it comes out in March.

I'd definitely be performing sexy hijinks if I had that power.
And maybe shit in my old boss's plant as well if he had one...

Sou Da

Also, Spider-Verse is a blast. If you don't want more of Sheldon Vella drawing Punk Spider-Man, my judgement isn't the one in question.

The main plot , Silk, and everything involved with Slott's writing is too terrible for me to plow through. If you can bear it then more power to you.

If you like stories earlier than that then would you mind recommending a run to start on? I decided to give a shot at beginning with #1 and while so far it's cheesy and good for a laugh I don't know if I'm willing to read hundreds of corny villain of the week issues before the series starts to get a little more serious. Is there a place in the 90s or even 80s with some good stories? I know generally the main players in Spider-Man just from being alive on planet Earth my whole life so I don't imagine I'll get too lost starting a few hundred issues in.

Don't think you'll be able to handle the age of Lee/Ditko? Well, atleast try reading #31-33 and get back to me okay?

The main plot , Silk, and everything involved with Slott's writing is too terrible for me to plow through. If you can bear it then more power to you.

Don't think you'll be able to handle the age of Lee/Ditko? Well, atleast try reading #31-33 and get back to me okay?

Doesn't really get readable until Romita shows up let's be honest.

The lifting sequence is a classic but man that's some hokey six panel a page comics overall.

Sou Da

Doesn't really get readable until Romita shows up let's be honest.

The lifting sequence is a classic but man that's some hokey six panel a page comics overall.

I firmly disagree but I can see how people wouldn't like it. Speaking of artists on Spider-Man, how the fuck Ramos still get work?

I really hate MCU for what it does to their comics. I've made the argument before, but fans of the films aren't picking up the books. They just don't care. If they did the industry wouldn't be falling apart.

Image will save comics.

If Kipp doesn't stand in their way.

--------

Kipp, please don't kill comics list

Batwoman #38
Teen Titans #6
Invincible #116
Wicked + Divine #7
All-New X-Men #35
Guardians of the Galaxy #23
Powers #1

Neoxon

Oh wow I'd love that. They're my 2 favorite characters in the Hickman Avengers series and I'm going through Marvel Unlimited and reading their old series.
I was more thinking when they'll get their ongoings than if. Their MCU movies pretty much secured both of them their own comics.

PsychBat!

Banned
A Doctor Strange ongoing was announced a couple of weeks ago I think.

And I hate Bendis' shitty GotG book so much for adding things from the movie out of thin air.

Drayco21

Adding movie elements is the least of Bendis' run's problems.

It's the one time I've actually welcomed a writer lazily transforming characters into their in-name-only movie selves. At least the movie characters were interesting and likable- a hell of a step up from the mass effect armor and personality of cardboard characters and "Blam, murdered you"s of before.

It's still really weird to see stuff like Star-Lord suddenly get treated like a seasoned criminal and thief, and getting into a huge spat with his girlfriend about how stealing is immoral and wrong, despite not actually being a thief.

Neoxon

It's the one time I've actually welcomed a writer lazily transforming characters into their in-name-only movie selves. At least the movie characters were interesting and likable- a hell of a step up from the mass effect armor and personality of cardboard characters and "Blam, murdered you"s of before.

It's still really weird to see stuff like Star-Lord suddenly get treated like a seasoned criminal and thief, and getting into a huge spat with his girlfriend about how stealing is immoral and wrong, despite not actually being a thief.
He was a criminal, albeit the crime he committed had a justified reason.

Drayco21

He was a criminal, albeit the crime he committed had a justified reason.

He was never a petty crook, a repeat offender or a thief, though, which is the way he's talked about and treated now. He's committed two major crimes- he went AWOL and fired on his fellow astronaut decades ago, and that was implied to be a test to prove his worthiness of the Star-Lord powers, and the second time was a necessary evil to save billions which the Nova Corps literally describe as something that they wouldn't have actually arrested him for- his time in the Kyln was self-imposed.

Neoxon

He was never a petty crook, a repeat offender or a thief, though, which is the way he's talked about and treated now. He's committed two major crimes- he went AWOL and fired on his fellow astronaut decades ago, and that was implied to be a test to prove his worthiness of the Star-Lord powers, and the second time was a necessary evil to save billions which the Nova Corps literally describe as something that they wouldn't have actually arrested him for- his time in the Kyln was self-imposed.
That's the one I was alluding to. But yeah, he was never a petty crook in the comics.

hmmm this X-Men #1 and #2 have me...confused. Mainly because its involving people Ive never heard about. Who the fuck is John Sublime, and who the fuck is this Karima that is now possessed by Subline's sister.

Or I could just wikipedia them I guess

great art tho

2912509-xmen.jpg

Start at the REAL X-Men #1

Xmenjimlee.jpg

Neoxon

Oh, I just realized that they changed Gamora's costume to a recolored version of her GotG movie costume. It's probably her casual clothes.

Ah so the 1-50 is part of it, I guess the switch to #200 was them going back to the old numbering for whatever reason. Damn so that's a fucking long run, 50+63+5 from the mini :eek:

You guys are killing me

Edit: cool, searched for Peter David on MU and saw that he wrote that star face captain marvel, I remember digging that series back in the day. He also wrote some shulkie (woot) and he writes all new x-factor which you all hate :p

That series is perfect for binge reading, David sets up a lot of dominoes that fall into place 30-40 issues later, great pacing and takes a bunch of C-list characters and makes them interesting and dynamic, Madrox in particular. One of my favorite series of all time.

I lost interest around the point when they pulled out the supernatural hijinks at Arkham. Meh.

That part has been on the back burner for awhile now. We're at a point now where
all of Bruce's assets have been seized and the mysterious figure behind it all has given those toys over to Batman's villains, Croc and Selina are working together and Mad Hatter has taken over Red Robin, Red Hood and Hipster Batgirl with Nanites. Oh and we saw Riddler sniveling like a little bitch.

Oh and it's all up to Harper. Seems like she is gonna go kick some ass.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's not just you, given that a lot of posts in those threads are calling him out on it. I'm starting to think he is Kevin Feige's gimmick account.

People can shit on the second Johns run all they want, and they're right to do so, but this was an awesome moment and something you could only really do with the Rogues:

Whats in there?

Top Bottom