• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

So all the people on Star Wars, for those of you who didn't, how come you didn't read the Dark Horse stuff? I find it funny to hear all this praise for the Marvel Star Wars, when Dark Horse has a huge wealth of amazing stuff that really enriched the Expanded Universe.

Back in the 90's Dark Horse was just killing it with SW comics. I forget the names but there was that series that took place like 1000 years before Episode IV. Tales of the Jedi or something. AMAZING.

Zombine

Banned
Does Greg Land know that for most people, we don't show our teeth when we have our "resting faces" on? I think in his mind, all people look like this:

1436686-japansmilelarge.jpg

What sort of Star Wars books would you like to see?

I have to admit I'd love to see a new take on the Rogue Squadron premise. I just love the Starfighter side of the Star Wars universe. It really is the best part. Jedi/Sith stuff gets tedious after awhile... but man, the space combat stuff never fails to deliver.

Personally I don't want more stories about established characters. Take us into the past, tell us the history of the SW Universe. Take me to a time when there were a ton of Sith and Jedi just fucking at war. Show me stories that explain reasons for established ideologies of the Sith and Jedi. Show me a story of why the Jedi shouldn't have attachments or own things. Show me the story that lead to the Jedi not marrying etc etc.

Don't give me the characters I already know. You've already established a universe now give me its history.

Boogiepop

It will take the sour taste out of your mouth. It brings back a lot of he fun and heart of the earlier issues. It's a shame that it was cancelled so soon, as issue 5 kind of kicks things into high gear only to be shot down by the next issue.

And like I said earlier Claremont on Exiles is the worst thing ever. Not only the Dialogue but
he immediately brings in his characters which is super lame.

Awesome, thanks. I'll probably tag that onto my next IST order, then.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Guys, I need your opinion.
I rarely buy Floppies, only for #1, One Shots And small Minis that are collected in book I consider buying.

In the 90s, Marvel published a couple of One Shots, who have the same amount of pages like a ordinary Floppy, but have thicker paper on the outside and have the name of the story printed on the side of the biding ( I dont know the term... Bookside? I dont know, i hope you know what I mean).

I put all my floppies in an Album from CBw with Boards and Cases. Would you put it in the album? Or treat it like an Tradepaperback? Am not quiet sure, I need you help.

I have made picture that you can imagine what I am talking about. Left a modern trade, in the middle the book I am speaking of and on the right a modern Floppy.

Please help me, I cant decide :D

Thats true, but they are getting kinda lost between trades who are 2x, 3x as big... I was thinking the same as you but as I putted them between Trades I became unsure.

Bag and board them and put them in their own spot. So "minis" and "trades" are separated even if they are from the same character.

Minis -> Minis -> Trades -> Trades

Instead of

Minis -> Trades -> Trades -> Minis -> Trades etc.

Messi

There was a floppy called DC presents Harley Quinn last year and it has 100 pages of hijinks. That has a spine and it always $10 is that a trade?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bag and board them and put them in their own spot. So "minis" and "trades" are separated even if they are from the same character.

Minis -> Minis -> Trades -> Trades

Instead of

Minis -> Trades -> Trades -> Minis -> Trades etc.

Thats an option I will consider.

Another question, how do you guys archive you Omnibusses/Absolute Editions? The Guys on CBR say that the paper will bend and hurt the biding when you shelf them vertical... Has anyone here ever noticed something like this? I dont know how serious I should take this warnig since these are the hardcover collectors and putting tons of ressources into archiving. But I dont want to hurt the biding since the problem is kinda easy to prevent.

There was a floppy called DC presents Harley Quinn last year and it has 100 pages of hijinks. That has a spine and it always $10 is that a trade?
I remember this and Detective Comics 27 was this big, too.

I wouldn't consider it to be. I'd say it's still a one-shot or whatever. TMNT Anniversary issue was the same way.

Messi

Burning building. You can only grab one book. What do you grab?

I think I would take Strangers in paradise. If that was too heavy then I'd take Mad Love.

Zombine

Banned

Walking Dead #1 Recolored was exactly like that. It was a mini trade. I had no idea what to do with it.

Owzers

I think I would take Strangers in paradise. If that was too heavy then I'd take Mad Love.

I'd debate about it too long and either take nothing or die.

actually, i'd forget the books and take the ipad.

I've had my eye on the Metal Gear Solid Deluxe Hardcover for awhile. Can anyone speak towards it's quality? It just covers the story of the first two games, right?

I know. Why they went with that I will never understand. The cover of issue one is pretty vague.

I do think that those of us who do read Manga should create a list of crossover titles for ComicGAF that don't contain a majority of the typical Manga tropes, and are just good books regardless of what medium they fall it.

Berserk, Wolfsmund, Vagabond, Terra Fomars, Gantz, Vinland Saga, and Uzumaki are all books that I think ComicGAF would enjoy.

Breh. Only like 3 of those are actually good and non-manga tropey. TF IN PARTICULAR is pretty horrendous when taken seriously. Not the best example to try and convince comic readers otherwise lol. I don even know doe imo breh imo.

yo Berserk, Vagabond and Uzumaki are so fucking godlike omg omg omg omg omg omg

So all the people on Star Wars, for those of you who didn't, how come you didn't read the Dark Horse stuff? I find it funny to hear all this praise for the Marvel Star Wars, when Dark Horse has a huge wealth of amazing stuff that really enriched the Expanded Universe.

Eh. Personally, I think a lotta people still have that "SW ain't capable a dat top-tier quality shit I like" mentality, whether they're aware of it or not.

I heard if you look in the mirror and say Rob Liefield three times he appears and cuts off your feet.

Then he stuffs them into his pouch belt and flies off into the night.

24de37ff64d281c36f564598a3d65496.png

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp, I'm having that same problem. Not so much sticking to one series, but the pace that we're moving at is too fast for me. I just can't get into three issues a day sometimes. I would really highly encourage us to cut back a little if we proceed with a #2 and #3 pick. Maybe something like no more than a certain amount of issues within a week?

I think that more people will be discouraged by the fast pace if they fall behind versus those who may read ahead and have to wait for everyone else.

The only issue is that going for less issues a day means 1) it would take way too long to get through and 2) it's too slow of a pace for half of the people and they'd continue to read ahead, but just be reading ahead even further than they already are.
I haven't been able to think of a solution, unfortunately.

I finished the first book and stopped as the pace was too much for me. I felt like I was rushing something that I should be savoring. It also stopped me reading everything else so I could keep up. From here on I will read at my own pace. I just want to enjoy this story (I am) but I was beginning to resent it as I couldn't have time to take it all in.

Big props to those who can keep up though. It's just not for me. :(

Yeah, I've been experiencing those exact same things. However, at the same time, I'm glad that the scheduled reading sort of forces me to read, because there are some days when I don't feel like reading but read because I "have" to and end up enjoying it quite a lot.
But yeah, there are days when it does feel like a chore that needs to be done.
And none of this is Strangers in Paradise's fault at all and it definitely shouldn't be taken as a criticism of the quality of Strangers in Paradise (because it's a truly excellent comic). I just think this reading club thing doesn't really work for me. I'm still planning to continue with the SiP reading club til the end, but I doubt I'll participate in any in the future (though I'll be happy to create the threads and whatnot if people want me to be in charge of that still).

I'd grab my Power Girl trade that's signed by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti

Or one of my more expensive books (Doom Patrol omni or an OOP book)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Cruel question.
I'd probably be split between the Doom Patrol omnibus and one of the two Hellboy Library Editions.

Or Space: Punisher.

I have an issue signed by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. But no Amanda :(

Oh hey, remember that time I was three feet from Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner's table at Long Beach Comic Con but didn't even notice it?

Messi

Cruel question.
I'd probably be split between the Doom Patrol omnibus and one of the two Hellboy Library Editions.

Or Space: Punisher.

Oh hey, remember that time I was three feet from Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner's table at Long Beach Comic Con but didn't even notice it?

Kipp Pls. That story hurts every time it is brought up.

My signed New Teen Titans omni is probably the most valuable, gotta go with that. Or maybe my issues of All-New Ultimates, kinda hard to say

I know much of Gaf I think loves Morrison but what is the opinion of Doom Patrol/Invisibles, more specifically the omnibuses of such series?

Top Bottom