• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

bengraven

Trying to catch up on almost 15 years of missed Marvel has been a pain in my ass. I'm just going to try the last few years of my favorite books (Spider-man and X-men) then go back and read the major crossovers (Civil War, House of M, etc) that I missed.

Also, of the Image Humble books I've read so far, I'm in love with Wicked + Divine and Sex Criminals. I'm also starting COWL which looks to be pretty good and going to read Southern Bastards afterwards because that was just added and I fucking love Jason Aaron.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Falling behind behind on my SiP reading since I've been doing at-home training for my new job during most of my free time...
I think I'm like 5 issues down (including today's issues). Hopefully gonna catch up at some point today, or else I have a feeling I'll just get hopelessly behind.

I think I'm starting to feel a tiny bit of fatigue from reading just one series for so long. As amazing as SiP is, I crave a bit of action/non-slice-of-life comics in my life too. Just means that when I do finish SiP, I'll enjoy other comics even more!
Batmanga has made for some good variety though. That really is some awesomely fun comics (or, well, manga).

Interesting! I'm just curious is all. I'm endlessly fascinated by the power of the #1 or the reboot. Seeing the tug of war between established continuity and a fresh new take. It's especially interesting to see where it succeeds and where it fails.

I haven't read the new Star Wars yet, but from my point of view, it's all about the creators. I don't really have any attachment to the Star Wars franchise (I mean, Star Wars is good, but it's not my favorite ever or anything), so because the Dark Horse stuff didn't really have any creators I like doing the comics, I wasn't interested at all. However, this new stuff has some pretty great names attached to it, so if it gets good reviews around here, I'll very likely pick up some trades.

Drayco21

We listin' now?

Batman Eternal #42
The New 52: Future's End #38
Wolverines #3

All-New X-Men #35
Amazing Spider-Man #13
Black Widow #14
Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #4
Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #4
Deadpool's Art of War #4
Fantastic Four #642
Fucking Bendis #23
Justice League #38
Legendary Chris Pratt Man #8
Loki: Agent of Asgard #10
Magneto #14
Moon Knight #11
Powers #1
Rocket Raccoon #7
Scarlet Spiders #3
Spider-Verse Team-Up #3
Spider-Woman #3
Superior Iron Man #4

tim1138

For anyone considering doing a read through of Morrison's Batman run, I cannot recommend including the Black Casebook tpb enough. If you're unaware, it's a collection of Silver Age stories curated by Morrison that influenced the first half of his run. He did such a great job incorporating these story elements into his run that the originals take on an entirely new subtext. In my current reread, I read it before RIP and it slotted in nicely.

Nudull

Banned
Goddamn, this week is going to murder me. o.o

Batman & Robin #38
Black Widow #14
Doctor Who: The Twelth Doctor #4
Fantastic Four #642
Galaxy Quest: The Adventure Continues #1
Lumberjanes #10
Magneto #14
Mega Man #45
Red Sonja #14
Supergirl #38
Teen Titans #6
TMNT/Ghostbusters #4
Wicked + Divine #7

But now that doesn't exist. Marvel said so.

Well no, Disney said so. And it still exists, it's just under the "Legends" banner. It's like how the Clone Wars series is actually meant to be in-universe TV reports of what happened, as opposed to what really happened.

I feel like the only person besides Messi who is just not interested in Star Wars :/

I'll read it when my Loot Crate comes in. There was way too much EU stuff for any reasonable person to keep track of. I liked Legacy and KOTOR from the Dark Horse comics, as well as Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison which I read last week. That was awesome. I got the Star Wars Humble Bundle awhile back so I'll dive into some of those. I read Darth Vader and the Lost Command from that, I'm not one to criticise different art styles but that art was horrendous.

Other media, I liked some of the games and a few of the novels (I'd only buy the novels on clearance though, I read enough licensed fancruft, it's not good for you after awhile).

EDIT: Funny we talk about this, and Jedi Outcast is the Steam daily deal. Buy that shit.

Cheska

Falling behind behind on my SiP reading since I've been doing at-home training for my new job during most of my free time...
I think I'm like 5 issues down (including today's issues). Hopefully gonna catch up at some point today, or else I have a feeling I'll just get hopelessly behind.

I think I'm starting to feel a tiny bit of fatigue from reading just one series for so long. As amazing as SiP is, I crave a bit of action/non-slice-of-life comics in my life too. Just means that when I do finish SiP, I'll enjoy other comics even more!
Batmanga has made for some good variety though. That really is some awesomely fun comics (or, well, manga).

Kipp, I'm having that same problem. Not so much sticking to one series, but the pace that we're moving at is too fast for me. I just can't get into three issues a day sometimes. I would really highly encourage us to cut back a little if we proceed with a #2 and #3 pick. Maybe something like no more than a certain amount of issues within a week?

I think that more people will be discouraged by the fast pace if they fall behind versus those who may read ahead and have to wait for everyone else.

Sou Da

Goddamn, this week is going to murder me. o.o

Batman & Robin #38
Black Widow #14
Doctor Who: The Twelth Doctor #4
Fantastic Four #642
Galaxy Quest: The Adventure Continues #1
Lumberjanes #10
Magneto #14
Mega Man #45
Red Sonja #14
Supergirl #38
Teen Titans #6
TMNT/Ghostbusters #4
Wicked + Divine #7

How on earth do you stand that art?

Messi

Kipp, I'm having that same problem. Not so much sticking to one series, but the pace that we're moving at is too fast for me. I just can't get into three issues a day sometimes. I would really highly encourage us to cut back a little if we proceed with a #2 and #3 pick. Maybe something like no more than a certain amount of issues within a week?

I think that more people will be discouraged by the fast pace if they fall behind versus those who may read ahead and have to wait for everyone else.

I finished the first book and stopped as the pace was too much for me. I felt like I was rushing something that I should be savoring. It also stopped me reading everything else so I could keep up. From here on I will read at my own pace. I just want to enjoy this story (I am) but I was beginning to resent it as I couldn't have time to take it all in.

Big props to those who can keep up though. It's just not for me. :(

Lumberjanes falls into that "Adventure Time" area of quaintly bizarre. And thoughts on the art aside, it's lovely that such a book can exist and thrive.

Thank goodness that point falls on deaf ears around these parts.

Kind of agree. At least Lumberjanes looks fairly unique. It reminds me of the Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors style, not a bad thing.

Moving away from a house style ethos is good. The diversity of art styles is a big part of why comics are so great right now.

Sou Da

Lumberjanes falls into that "Adventure Time" area of quaintly bizarre. And thoughts on the art aside, it's lovely that such a book can exist and thrive.

What do you mean?

Kind of agree. At least Lumberjanes looks fairly unique. It reminds me of the Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors style, not a bad thing.

Moving away from a house style ethos is good. The diversity of art styles is a big part of why comics are so great right now.

As far as I'm concerned Lumberjane's style is house style in a way.

Sou Da

Meaning that the book has found success in that is a touching and funny story about a bunch of kids with wonderful expressive art, and not just about dudes punching one another.

I suppose
yeshrug.png
. I thought it was pretty unfunny and I didn't like the character designs so I stopped after the third issue, wasn't it supposed to be a miniseries?

Zombine

Banned
Still waiting on Baron's in-depth MLP post

It would probably have more depth to it than Sou's explination for how Lumberjanes is Boom! Studios house style.

I suppose
yeshrug.png
. I thought it was pretty unfunny and I didn't like the character designs so I stopped after the third issue, wasn't it supposed to be a miniseries?

There we go. We're getting closer to a reason why you dislike it, and why someone else who does enjoy it shouldn't keep pulling it. We love critique around here, but not criticism toward one another.

Owzers

Wonder Woman #25: blah blah blah random 4/10 because i don't care about this story and most people will remember it as " that story about the baby that never ended"

Lumberjanes has well done cute art. If it doesn't appeal to you, that's cool. It definitely can fit within a type of comic book art that's more often seen in Web comics but to call it a house style is pretty lol were not talking about Shane Davis here

Damn...read that last chapter of Wolfsmund vol 1 last night and that might have been the most intense thing I read all month.

Now you've got me interested. I've flipped through a volume here and there in passing. The art was decent, but some of the stuff in there was pretty brutal.

I know. Why they went with that I will never understand. The cover of issue one is pretty vague.

You mean the cover for Vol.2? I can answer that. In Japan, that's referred to as "plot".

Also, New Exiles is pure crap, right? But the 2009 series that's collected in a single trade is worth looking into?

It will take the sour taste out of your mouth. It brings back a lot of he fun and heart of the earlier issues. It's a shame that it was cancelled so soon, as issue 5 kind of kicks things into high gear only to be shot down by the next issue.

And like I said earlier Claremont on Exiles is the worst thing ever. Not only the Dialogue but
he immediately brings in his characters which is super lame.

Bruce isn't even the best martial artist in the Bat-Family, since Cass was better.

Plus, Karate Kid, Lady Shiva, Richard Dragon, Conner Hawke, and arguably Deathstroke.

This is the second time I've seen the name Karate Kid. I thought the first dude was fucking with me. DC really named a character after the movie?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you keep reading I should warn you it is part of Messiah Complex, if you haven't read it yet (issues 25-27)

couple of issues at the start were part of Decimation also, I just rolled with it

unless you mean spoilers wise, and that part I dont care. im about to be "up to date" on current x-men after I get past battle of the atom and read the rest of the modern stuff on marvel unlimited, all the past stuff is some that I might go back to one day but I know the gist of

couple of issues at the start were part of Decimation also, I just rolled with it

unless you mean spoilers wise, and that part I dont care. im about to be "up to date" on current x-men after I get past battle of the atom and read the rest of the modern stuff on marvel unlimited, all the past stuff is some that I might go back to one day but I know the gist of

The "event" takes place during those issues. It's not only X-Factors' side of it.

Chapter 1: X-Men: Messiah Complex one-shot.
Chapter 2: Uncanny X-Men #492
Chapter 3: X-Factor #25
Chapter 4: New X-Men #44
Chapter 5: X-Men #205
Chapter 6: Uncanny X-Men #493
Chapter 7: X-Factor #26
Chapter 8: New X-Men #45
Chapter 9: X-Men #206
Chapter 10: Uncanny X-Men #494
Chapter 11: X-Factor #27
Chapter 12: New X-Men #46
Chapter 13: X-Men #207

But the subplot about Madrox and Lyla in the event is really important for the main Xfactor book.

I'm prety sure that's the only ocassion it stops focusing on the team.

For anyone considering doing a read through of Morrison's Batman run, I cannot recommend including the Black Casebook tpb enough. If you're unaware, it's a collection of Silver Age stories curated by Morrison that influenced the first half of his run. He did such a great job incorporating these story elements into his run that the originals take on an entirely new subtext. In my current reread, I read it before RIP and it slotted in nicely.

Funny you said this, just bought it at Comic Book World today without even reading your post.

Zombine

Banned
You mean the cover for Vol.2? I can answer that. In Japan, that's referred to as "plot".

All according to keikaku

How do you not?

I feel like you're me if I looked in the mirror and saw Killer Bob grinning back at me.

"How's comics? How's comics? How's comics??"

Lol I can't believe it took you that long to even reply to that.

You're in for a treat, quality remains at that level throughout the whole run. It's...Uncanny.

Lol I like this guy.

Sou Da

Can you list them to me. I assume Bruce is the jack of all trades and Barbara is the best hacker?

More or less

Dick- Acrobatics

Tim- Detective work

Cass- Martial Skills

Babs- Technology

Steph- Stealth

Supposedly Jason is the strongest and Damian is a jack of all trades like his dad but I never really bought that.

We need a TMNT-esque book with the main four Robins ASAP.

Top Bottom